What Is Windows Installation Media Tool?
Windows Installation Media Creation Tool is a tiny Microsoft software executable file that allows you to download Windows 10 and build installation media. Furthermore, the Media Creation Tool will enable you to update your current machine or laptop to Windows 10 directly.
It creates no difference whether you want to make your installation media or download an ISO image file with the most recent Windows 10. The Media Creation Tool is needed for both tasks.
The media creation tool permits users to download Windows 10 Home or Pro, and you can choose between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of both. You have the option of installing directly to a USB flash drive or downloading a single or dual-use ISO to install to a disc later.
Things To Know Before Proceeding
Microsoft offers a direct download of the Media Creation Tool. This tool is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. When creating the Install Media or ISO image File, you do not need to enter your Windows product key.
Here’s what you might need before you begin:
- A computer with a reliable internet connection is needed.
- The download is approximately 4 GB in size, and the time it takes to finish highly depends on your link speed and other factors.
- A DVD writer and a blank DVD. It includes a DVD writer on the device you’re creating the media on, as well as a DVD player on the system you’re installing it on.
- A Media USB flash drive/DVD with at least 8 GB of storage space is needed since any existing content would be removed.
How Do I Find The Windows 10 Installation Media?
Windows 10 installation media is freely available for Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and another version of windows on the official website of Microsoft Software. If users want to install Windows, they can download these files to install or reinstall Windows operating systems and repair respective Windows. Users just have a flash drive of at least 8 GB and a fast internet connection.
How Do I Create A Windows 10 USB Drive?
To get the Media Creation Tool, go to Microsoft Windows(window 10) page in web browsers. Windows 10 is available for download. Scroll down the opened page until you see the “Download tool now” Tab, then press or tap it. It’s in the segment titled “Build Windows 10 installation media.”
If you need to update your Windows 10 on the same personal computer, you are working right now. Just click on “Update Now,” as shown in the image below.
To download windows 10 and select create installation media USB flash, then follow the given steps.
- Scroll down on the same provided page and select “Download Tool Now.”
- Open and install the media creation tool from the downloads section.
- After installing, open the tool from the desktop icon and follow the below steps.
- Click on Accept on the licenses terms page, as shown below.
- In the succeeding step, select whether you want to upgrade this Personal computer or download the ISO file for any other Personal Computer.
- Pick the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for the Windows 10 installation media you want to make, then click Next.
- Please choose the correct language, edition, and architecture for your target unit to avoid any problems with Windows 10 activation (if your device has a digital license, it will enable windows 10 automatically once it’s online after the installation is complete).
- Select the method you want to create installation media from the provided options.
- Media USB flash drive.
- DVD or ISO file for another PC
- Go to next and click to proceed further.
- In case you want to save the ISO file in System. Select the save path from the save menu as shown below.
- Once completed, wait for the download to complete and save in your installation media USB flash drive or your DVD or iso file.
- After completion, you can continue with reinstall windows 10 or install windows 10.
How To Make Windows 10 UEFI Boot Media With Rufus Tool
There are some other methods to make a bootable flash drive or installation media using tools like RUFUS and PowerISO.
Rufus is a lightweight executable that has steadily developed its capabilities over time. Rufus detects and fills in the best settings for the ISO file you choose and standard ISO to USB options like cluster size and file system. Rufus also has a secret Advanced Mode with a slew of extra features.
Rufus’ time was 21m12s, which was far from the fastest. Regardless, Rufus is an excellent ISO to USB platform.
Download the Rufus tool setup to create windows 10 and follow the below steps.
- After downloading the Rufus setup software, install the setup on your personal computer.
- Double click Rufus and follow the below instructions for making a bootable USB.
- Insert the flash drive into your personal computer. (drive with at least 8GB space)
- Select your flash drive in which you want the Rufus tool to create Windows 10 installation media.
- Choose boot selection to select the types of file you have to create bootable USB.
- Now click on select to browse for the ISO file location and select the installation files.
- Choose the name from the window of your windows installation drive.
- Select the Standard Windows installation option from the “Image option” drop-down menu.
- Select the GPT option from the “Partition scheme” drop-down menu.
- Select the UEFI (non-CSM) option from the “Target device” drop-down menu.
- After all the above-given steps, click on Start to initiate windows installation media creation.
- Wait for the process to get completed, and then you can use the flash drive to install windows 10
How to recover Windows 10 using a Recovery USB Flash Drive
- Swipe in from the screen’s right side, then tap Search. (If you’re using a cursor, drag the mouse pointer up to the lower-right corner of the screen and then press Search.)
- In the search box provided in windows 10, type recovery drive, and then select Create a recovery drive.
- Make sure to create a copy of the recovery partition from the Personal Computer to the recovery drive check box is selected when the recovery drive tool opens, and then pick Next.
(When your computer doesn’t have a recovery partition, the check box is greyed out. It will include only the recovery tools and a bootable image on the recovery drive; there will be no recovery image for refreshing or resetting your computer.)
- Insert a USB flash drive that is at least as big as the size shown on the screen into your computer.
- Choose the flash drive you want to use as your recovery drive, and then click Next.
- Choose to Create. It will copy the recovery image and recovery tools to your USB flash drive, which could take some minutes depending on your personal computer and the size of the recovery image.
- When the procedure is completed, choose one of the following options:
- Select Finish if you want to keep the recovery partition on your computer.
- Click Delete the recovery partition to uninstall the recovery partition from your computer and free up disc space. Then choose Delete. It will free up some space on your hard disk previously used to store your recovery image. Select Finish until the removal is complete.
(some PCs do not allow you to delete a recovery partition. If this happens to you, there isn’t a recovery partition on your computer taking up extra space.)
- Remove the USB Pen drive from the device. It is your Windows 8.1 recovery disc, and you’ll need it in the future if you need to refresh or reset your computer. Keep it in a secure location, and don’t use it to store any other data or information.
(If you upgraded your PC from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, your recovery drive would still contain Windows 8, and you’ll need to update to Windows 8.1 after you refresh or reset your PC.)
I hope you learned how to create Windows 10 installation media from this illustrated tutorial. These were some simple steps for making a USB flash drive. Also, don’t forget to back up your data before installing windows.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s A Bootable USB Flash Drive?
USB drives have become common due to their portability and ease of use. A bootable flash drive allows you to start your device from the flash drive’s file system rather than your hard drive’s. On the hard drive of your device, a boot sector contains details about how to use it.
Does Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Download The Latest Version?
The Media Creation tool always downloads Windows 10’s most recent stable version and build. When you download Windows 10 to make installation media, you’ll be asked whether you want to create media for 32-bit, 64-bit, or both architectures.
Can I Put Windows 10 On A Flash Drive?
If you want to use the most recent edition of Windows, you can install it directly from a USB drive. A USB Pen drive with at least 8 GB of space, but preferably 16 GB, is needed. For activation of Windows 10 on the USB drive, you’ll also need to buy a license. You can buy the license from Microsoft software.