Ever wondered what font Microsoft Teams uses? You’re not alone. Many users grapple with this question, particularly when they find the default typography a bit challenging to read or aesthetically unappealing.
In this article, we delve into what exact fonts are used in Microsoft Teams and whether you can change them for a more personalized experience. Stick around as we unravel these details to enhance your user experience on Teams!
- The default font used in Microsoft Teams is Segoe UI for Windows users and SF Pro for iOS users.
- Users have limited options to change the font settings in Microsoft Teams, but they can use workarounds like Markdown formatting and adjusting their operating system’s font settings.
- Feedback on font preferences in Microsoft Teams is encouraged, and additional resources are available to help users with typography guidelines within the platform.
The Font Used in Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams uses the SF Pro typeface for its iOS app, while Segoe UI is the default font used for Microsoft apps.
SF Pro typeface (for iOS app)
SF Pro is the font you see on the Microsoft Teams app if you use an iOS device. This clean, sans-serif typeface is common in all Apple systems like iOS, iPadOS, macOS and tvOS. The SF Pro font comes in nine different weights or thicknesses and it changes size to match your screen.
But not all symbols or characters are part of this font set. So, if you’re designing an iOS app with SF Pro, make sure to check out the guidelines provided by Apple!
Segoe UI (default font for Microsoft apps)
Segoe UI is the choice font for Microsoft apps. This typeface runs on Windows and fits well into Microsoft’s brand. Not only that, but it also adds to the user experience being clean and easy to read.
You’ll find Segoe UI in Office applications too. It’s part of the core components in the Microsoft Teams UI Kit. Even seeing this font on their marketing materials is common! Being a system font makes it a key player in all digital marketing efforts from Microsoft.
The clean design helps uphold its strong brand identity.
Can You Change the Font in Microsoft Teams?
You may have limitations in changing the system font settings, but there are workarounds to customize the font style in Microsoft Teams.
Limitations in changing the system font settings
You cannot change the font in Microsoft Teams by default. This makes it hard if you want a different look. But, there are ways to make small changes. One way is by using the compose box in Teams.
It lets you do things to text like making it bold, italic, or highlight it.
Another limit is that you can’t keep these changes all the time. Once you leave Teams, the style goes back to how it was before.
The mini toolbar helps with this issue a bit. If you pick text, a small toolbar pops up near your mouse arrow. You can use this to change the size of your chosen words.
Still, many people find these limits hard because they lack choices for font style and size in Teams.
Workarounds to change font style
- Use the Markdown formatting syntax to apply font styles. For example, you can use asterisks (*) or underscores (_) to make text bold or italic.
- Change the default font style by adjusting your operating system’s font settings. This will affect the font in Microsoft Teams as well.
- Create a custom theme with a different font using the Microsoft Teams admin center. However, note that this will only change the font for your organization and not for individual users.
- Use third-party browser extensions or add-ons that allow you to modify the appearance of websites, including Microsoft Teams. These extensions can provide options to change the font style.
- Consider using a different device or operating system with built – in customization options for fonts. This may give you more control over the appearance of Microsoft Teams.
To access the Microsoft Teams Admin Center, follow these steps:
- Open your web browser and go to the Microsoft Teams website.
- Sign in using your admin credentials.
- Once you’re signed in, click on the “Admin” option located in the left navigation menu.
- This will take you to the Microsoft Teams Admin Center, where you can manage various settings and features.
Feedback and Additional Resources
Provide feedback on your font preferences in Microsoft Teams and explore additional resources for typography guidelines within the platform.
Providing feedback on font preferences
Users have the option to provide feedback on their font preferences in Microsoft Teams. This allows them to share their opinions and suggestions for fonts used in the app. Microsoft offers tools and features to manage this feedback, giving organizations control over whether users can submit feedback about Teams.
This helps ensure that user feedback is heard and considered when it comes to font choices in Microsoft Teams.
Additional resources for typography in Microsoft Teams
Here are some additional resources that can help you with typography in Microsoft Teams:
- The Microsoft Typography website provides information on the fonts used by Microsoft and offers resources for downloading and using them.
- The Microsoft Design website offers guidelines and best practices for creating visually appealing content in Microsoft Teams, including tips on font selection and usage.
- The Teams design system documentation provides detailed information on the design principles and components used in Microsoft Teams, including guidance on typography.
- The Microsoft Learn platform offers courses and tutorials on various topics related to Microsoft Teams, including typography and design.
- The Teams UserVoice forum allows users to provide feedback and suggestions related to the user interface of Microsoft Teams, including font preferences.
- [Important Fact 5]: “Microsoft licenses various fonts from font foundries for inclusion with Windows.”
- [Important Fact 6]: “Chat is a central feature in Microsoft Teams, supporting individual and group conversations.”
In conclusion, the default font used in Microsoft Teams is Segoe UI. However, the Teams Android app uses the Roboto typeface. While there are limitations in changing the system font settings, users can still customize the message font size in Microsoft Teams.
Additionally, feedback on font preferences and additional resources for typography in Teams are available to help users navigate and enhance their experience with fonts in Microsoft Teams.