You may have noticed the acronym BIOS in a lot of places on your Windows computer. Some applications could have asked you to update the BIOS to run. You may have pressed the key that launches the BIOS menu, while booting your PC, by accident.
Wherever we may have seen it, we immediately understood that it was something important. If you did not know about the BIOS menu, you probably do not know that you will have to download BIOS updates and that it can help your PC greatly.
Today, we will be your guide towards the BIOS interface and the BIOS update process on your Windows 10 computer.
What Is A BIOS?
The Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) is a collection of scripts that are stored on ROM memory storage or a flash drive, which is connected to the motherboard. This BIOS script is what directs your computer to locate the Operating System (OS) and help it boot the OS up on your computer.
In simpler words, the BIOS facility is the link between the computer hardware and the OS. Without a BIOS, the hardware will not be able to find the installed OS from a huge collection of data, that is required for the system’s functioning.
While we are on the topic of BIOS, it is important to understand the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). The UEFI is the modern replacement for the BIOS and the newer link between the OS and hardware’s firmware.
Your computer boots up faster with a UEFI, which also has more address space. Statistically, the UEFI is a lot better than the BIOS feature. This doesn’t make the UEFI different from the BIOS. A UEFI is the same as a BIOS, but with new features.
Do I Need To Download BIOS Updates For My Windows 10 PC?
This is a tricky question. There are a lot of ups and downs to updating the BIOS version on your computer.
The motherboard or laptop manufacturer releases a new BIOS version only when there are minor bugs to be fixed while booting up the PC. You might also receive features like system security upgrades, new hardware support, booting bug fixes, increase compatibility, and system performance upgrades.
There is one major risk that you have to be willing to take when you update your BIOS versions on your PC. Moving to a newer one from the current BIOS version has to be done very carefully as any mistake like a system crash, freeze, or a power cut.
If this happens, the computer’s boot-up process will crash, and your computer will not be able to boot up again, normally. Besides, there aren’t many added features in every new BIOS update and no visible difference can be noticed from this.
Also, choosing the correct version of the BIOS file can be quite complicated and you cannot put the wrong BIOS into your computer as it can, obviously, cause problems on your PC. It is important to be very cautious when you are trying to install a BIOS update on your computer.
The only logical answer to the above question is that the BIOS version needn’t be upgraded until there are problems with your computer and there is a desperate need to update BIOS for your operating system.
How Do I Check What BIOS Version My Computer Is On?
If you are interested in getting a BIOS update, you should first know what BIOS version we are on, so that you can get the latest version of the BIOS file and not get an older or wrong version of this file.
There are three methods to learn what BIOS version your computer is on. You can use the Windows Control Panel, Command Prompt tool, and System Information tool to help you find the available BIOS versions on your Windows 10 computers.
BIOS Update Applications
Most laptop and motherboard manufacturers have applications that can be used for updating BIOS and also drivers. If you check this utility, you will be able to notice the BIOS version on your computer. You will also be able to download the latest BIOS version.
The following are the brand-exclusive tools that can be used to update and manage the drivers and BIOS of your laptops –
- Dell users can use the Dell Update Utility.
- MyASUS is the ASUS utility for updating the laptop’s firmware.
- The Lenovo System Update Tool is the update utility for Lenovo laptop users.
- If your computer model is designed by HP, you can use the HP Support Assistant.
You can use the Command Prompt script processing tool to locate several aspects of the computers and to get data without searching for it, manually.
These are the steps to check the BIOS version through the command prompt tool.
- Launch the Command Prompt window and type in this command line –
wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion
- Press Enter key and you’ll get the BIOS version displayed in the window.
You will have to make note of it and use this as a reference while downloading the BIOS update file.
System Information Window
The System Information window can be used to take a look at the technical specifications of the computer, you are working in. You will also see the BIOS information in this window.
Use these steps to open the System Information utility.
- Open the Run box (Windows + R) and enter this command –
- Press Enter and run this command or click on the Ok button.
- Locate the BIOS Version/Date option and the version number to its left is the one that is installed on your computer.
Different Tools Used For Updating The BIOS Version – Windows 10
These are the three recommended tools that we are going to be using for updating the BIOS software version on your Windows 10 computer.
- BIOS Update From The Manufacturer’s Website
- Bootable USB Flash Drive
- Brand Exclusive BIOS Management Interfaces
Updating The BIOS Version On Your Windows 10 PC
These steps can be used to update BIOS on your Windows 10 PC. You are required to be very careful while implementing these procedures, as even a small mistake can cause a series of very severe consequences. They are not really worth it, for trying to update a feature that doesn’t really need an upgrade most of the time.
These detailed instructions will help you change the BIOS version of your computer.
BIOS Update From The Manufacturer’s Website
Your first choice to update your BIOS should be to get a simple exe file from the motherboard manufacturer’s website support page and run it. This will install the chosen BIOS version on your computer, without creating any sort of trouble.
Ensure that you launch the correct setup for the BIOS file. A slight change in the model or version can cause a chain of issues on your computer, including OS crashes and not being able to boot up the system.
Bootable USB Flash Drive
Updating the BIOS in Windows with the help of a bootable USB drive is extremely risky. We do not recommend this method unless you understand the assignment. This operation is where a lot of OS crashes and errors have been reported. Pick up an instruction manual and proceed with these steps with your own caution.
- Go to the motherboard or laptop manufacturer’s site and navigate to the support site.
- Here, you will be asked to enter the laptop or motherboard model number and download it. If it is in the form of a compressed file, it will contain a BIOS and readme file.
- Insert your CD/DVD or USB drive which you will be using as a bootable.
- Download and install the latest version of Rufus software and launch this tool.
This is the tool we will be used to create bootable disks.
- From this window, choose the device you want to convert into a bootable one.
- If a new update is available for download, you will be able to see the BIOS Update Bootable CD option.
- From the drop-down menu, select the FAT32 option in the File System.
- Click on the ISO image next to the “Create a bootable disk using” option and click on the CD icon.
- Now, find the zip file that was downloaded and extract it on the bootable disk.
- Click Start and agree with all the prompts that you will see. Press Close, when it’s done.
- Once these steps are complete, re-insert the USB or insert the CD/DVD drive. It is recommended that you use a USB Drive.
- If there is a pre-installed BIOS update utility for Windows, click on the FreeDOS option next to the Create a bootable disk using option.
- Click on the Start option, wait till the scan comes to an end, and then, Close the window.
- Launch the BIOS Update Utility for Windows program and follow the on-screen instructions from this interface.
- After the zip file extraction is done, remove the check from the Install BIOS utility now checkbox.
- The next part of the steps is to reboot the PC and go into the BIOS menu, which has two different methods –
- Restart your PC by pressing the power button and press the appropriate key (F10, F12, or Del) to access the Boot menu. You will be able to find this key in the PC’s manual.
- Open Start menu > Press the Shift key and click on the Restart button > Choose Troubleshoot > Click on Advanced options > Select UEFI Firmware Settings > Restart option.
- Once you enter the BIOS menu, proceed with the installation of the new version of the BIOS software.
The steps to install the latest BIOS version can differ from each BIOS interface. You will be able to see a BIOS update option or something similar in the BIOS menu. Use it to update to a new BIOS version. Once you get your BIOS updated, restart the system.
Note: Power failure is a common reason to create problems during this error. Therefore, keep your AC adapter connected to an outlet.
Brand Exclusive BIOS Management Interfaces
Each brand has a unique method to update the BIOS software, which was developed and placed on their products. These collections of steps are the procedures of downloading a BIOS update for your computer if they are designed by HP, Lenovo, or ASUS.
- Open a browser and go into the HP support site.
- On the support page, locate the Enter your serial number text space and enter yours.
- Go into the Software, Drivers, and Firmware option.
- Expand the All drivers option and you will be shown all the latest driver and BIOS updates, that can be downloaded for your HP laptop. If you do not see a BIOS update available for download, it means that your system BIOS is already up-to-date.
- Download the BIOS update, which is on top of the page. The BIOS file may be restricted by the anti-virus. If this happens, you will have to turn your security programs off and proceed.
- Run the setup and do as the installation wizard instructs you to install this BIOS version.
- Once the setup ends, reboot the system.
The available, new version of the BIOS software should be installed on your computer, without any issues.
There are several ways to update BIOS on your Lenovo laptop. You can install the BIOS file on your Lenovo workstation through the above-mentioned traditional methods and also using the Lenovo Vantage application, which is available for all Lenovo laptop variants.
This is the procedure to manually update your BIOS on a Lenovo PC.
- Go to the Lenovo Support website on a web browser.
- Type the name and the serial number of the desktop or laptop model in the search bar and select it from the search results. Do not confuse yours with similar others, which will also be displayed with the target device.
- Select the Drivers and Software tab, which is located on the left side of the support page. Every available update will be displayed on the page.
- Click on the System Update option and select the download icon to begin the download.
- After the download finishes, launch the System Update installer and follow the instructions from the installation wizard, till the update process is completed successfully.
Once this is complete, we recommend deleting the setup so that you do not confuse it with an older version of the BIOS the next time you download an update.
A great update-wise benefit for ASUS laptop or desktop users is that they will be notified when there are updates available, through the MyASUS application. This tool is the best option for any ASUS user to update their BIOS.
As a user with an ASUS laptop, you just have to open the My ASUS or Armory Crate (for ROG or TUF users) application, locate the available BIOS update and install it. Make sure you have an internet connection so that it can be downloaded.
This article should have helped you update your BIOS and UEFI versions on your Windows 10 PC. If mistakes were made, you have no other option but to take your system to a service unit to get it fixed.
What Is The BIOS On A Computer?
The Basic Input/Output System is a motherboard software, embedded in a chip, that is responsible for the computer’s operating system to boot up when programmed to. This is the connection between your computer’s hardware and the OS. Without the BIOS tool, there would be no way for the OS to know that the hardware wants it to boot up for the computer to function.
Is It Good To Update BIOS?
When you update your BIOS software, you will gain a small number of added benefits like a performance upgrade, system security improvements, and booting bug fixes. On the other side, you will have to consider the risks of losing control over your computer, if something goes wrong during the update process. You can also lose stored data from your computer. There is no need to update the BIOS on your computer unless there is no other alternative method to fulfill your motive.
What Are The Function Of BIOS?
The BIOS menu can be used to manage the configurations of the link between your computer’s hardware components and the installed operating system. It is also responsible for the system’s performance improvement and some aspects of the system’s boot-up security.
Is BIOS Software Or Hardware?
BIOS is software that is located in a motherboard chip and is used for booting up the OS on a computer. However, this software is closely related to the PC hardware, especially the motherboard, as it is the chainlink between the computer’s operating system and the hardware.