Facebook is a terrific way to stay in touch with family members and friends, especially those you want to keep in touch with from afar. Unfortunately, your friends’ list is likely to be full of folks you can’t unfriend but don’t want to hear from.
Unfollowing someone on Facebook, thankfully, accomplishes this. Furthermore, if you unfollow someone’s Facebook posts, they won’t know. Facebook doesn’t allow users to see a list of friends who aren’t following them.
When you unfollow a page on Facebook, you’ll no longer receive notifications or changes in your News Feed. You can still be able to see the page and its articles if you manually navigate to it.
Steps to Unfollow People on Facebook on Facebook.com
- In a web browser, go to the Facebook.com website and then to the profile of the friend you want to unfollow on Facebook.
- Directly beneath their profile picture, click the “Friend” icon. A menu appears on the screen.
- In this option, select or click “Unfollow.” You will still be a Facebook friend with this person in the future, but you won’t see their postings.
Steps to Unfollow on the Facebook app (iPhone or iPad)
- Start the Facebook application, then go to the account of the Facebook friend you wish to unfollow.
- To access the Manage screen, tap the ellipses just beneath their profile image.
- In the drop-down menu, select “Following.” On the screen, there is a menu. In that option, select “Unfollow.” You will still be Facebook friends with this person in the future, but you won’t see their postings in your newsletter sign.
Steps to Unfollow on Facebook App (Android)
- Launch the Facebook app, then go to the profile of the Facebook friend you wish to unfollow.
- Directly below their profile photo, tap the “Friend” icon. On the screen, there will be a pop-up menu.
- In this option, select “Unfollow.” You’ll still be Facebook friends with this person in the future, but you won’t see their postings in your news.
Unfollow a Facebook Profile Page
You won’t see their posts in the News Feed if you want to unfollow them, but you’ll still be friends with them.
To remove someone, a Page, or a group from your News Feed, do the following:
- Click on their post’s upper right corner.
- Unfollow [Name] from the drop-down menu.
- Directly unfollow a person, a Page, or a group.
To unfollow any friend, go to their profile, page, or group.
- Unfollow a profile by clicking profile picture.
- Click, Follow settings, and then the circle next to Unfollow this Page for a Page. To confirm, click Update.
- Unfollow a group by clicking and then Unfollow group.
- After unfollowing, you will not receive any notifications.
Unfollow From Facebook News Feed Preferences
- Go to your Facebook (FB) profile page from the top right of the screen.
- Select the downward arrow on the top menu bar on your profile page. (Press the three horizontal lines at the bottom of the app to open the follow-settings)
- Click on the settings and privacy from the drop-down menu.
- Select News Feed Preferences from the drop-down menu. (Open the app and go to Settings > News Preferences.)
- Check-mark all groups, pages, and friends that you need to follow.
- To hide your friend’s posts, Unfollow groups and People.
- After selecting the person, you want to unfollow, click Done.
Re-Follow Unfollowed Facebook Friends
You can re-follow this friend if you have reunited with them and want to see their Facebook postings again after a specific length of time has passed. Take the actions outlined below.
- Go to your Facebook profile and check it out.
- Select the down arrow in the upper right corner of your profile on a desktop. Select the three horizontal lines or three dots at the bottom right of your screen on your mobile device.
- Select “News Feed Preferences” from the “Settings & Privacy” menu on the desktop. On a mobile device, go to “Settings & Privacy,” then “Settings,” and then “News Feed Preferences.”
- Choose “Reconnect with people you unfollowed,” then select the person you want to reconnect with and click “Done.”
- Friends and Person’s new posts will now appear in your Facebook News Feed once more.
Your Facebook News Feed is a quick method to keep up with your family and friends’ activities. Unfortunately, Facebook friends could be the source of annoying, offending, or boring posts, articles, and opinion rants. By following this article, you will be able to unfollow them before letting them know.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if you unfollow a Facebook friend?
Unfollowing one of your Facebook friends has no bearing on their “following” of you. You will no longer see their posts in your News, but your friend will continue to see posts posted by you in their News Feeds if they are following you.
Is it preferable to unfriend or unfollow someone?
You can unfriend someone if you don’t want them to see your postings and are okay with not seeing theirs, but you don’t want to block them. You can unfollow someone if their posts irritate you.
When you unfollow someone on Facebook, do your friends know?
You will no longer see posts if you unfollow someone. They aren’t even aware that you have unfollowed them. If someone asks if you’ve seen a specific post, you may blame Facebook’s algorithms. Also, you can pretend you haven’t been paying attention to Facebook recently.
How can you tell if someone on Facebook has snoozed on you?
Send a message to their profile to see if they’ve blocked you on Facebook Messenger. If you see an error notice that says, “This person isn’t available right now,” it means they’ve either blocked you or canceled their account.