Twitch is on top of the leading internet content live-streaming platforms, specializing mostly in live-streaming video games, esports championships, music, conversational streams, and other sorts of streamable entertainment content.
When we click on the live thumbnail of the stream, we expect to see our favorite streamers in action. What we do not expect is a black screen instead of the stream.
That can be frustrating when we can’t get to watch an interesting stream. This article will get you watching the stream back in no time.
What Are The Factors Responsible For The Twitch Black Screen Error?
- Faulty DNS – A different Domain Name System (DNS) server address can be responsible for the black screen on the Twitch website. If the Twitch server is not able to connect with your network, for which the DNS is responsible, you will not be able to watch live streams. This may be evident in the thumbnails themselves. If the DNS settings are not right, you can change them manually.
- Change In The Network IP Address – If you connect to a network that is different from your usual one, there are chances for the IP address to change. This usually happens for the network provider’s server to provide better service. This issue can also arise when a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is active on your computer.
- Enabled Hardware Acceleration Feature – Hardware acceleration is a Windows Operating System (OS) feature that does more harm than good for your system. We even have dealt with a lot of issues where disabling this feature may help fix it. This tool can get into a lot of conflicts with websites, applications, and services, irrespective of its proclamation to boost the system performance.
- Issues With The Browser – When there are some issues with the browser, most websites will not be able to load. This situation doesn’t necessarily mean that the browser is at fault. You may be looking at an outdated version of the browser. You can try updating it and if it still doesn’t work, you can start looking for alternatives.
- Network-Related Issues – Since Twitch is an online website, it requires a steady internet connection to load the content. Make sure that there are no network-related issues, that may get in the way of the website and your watching experience. There is a possibility of the device not being connected to the internet or the internet having no network access.
- Twitch Server Outages – Twitch has several servers that function non-stop. When the server allocated to connect with your region goes down, the website may not load. You might also see an incompletely loaded web page, that is difficult to navigate through.
Solutions For The Twitch Stream Black Screen Issue On Web Browser
These are the tips & tricks we are going to be using to get rid of the black screen on your Twitch website.
- Reboot Your Computer
- Refresh The Twitch Web Page On Your Browser
- Check The Internet Connection
- Switch To Another DNS Server Address
- Reset The Network IP Address
- Turn Off Ad-Blockers
- Delete The Saved Browser Cache
- Disable The Hardware Acceleration Feature
- Change The Network Configurations Back To Default
- Download Graphics Driver Software Updates
- Turn The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Feature On
- Use A Different Browser
Fixing The Twitch Studio Black Screen Error
Reboot Your Computer
A simple reboot of your system can help fix a lot of little issues. When you restart the system, the OS does not only power itself off and then, back on. All the unsaved changes are removed; temporary files are deleted; Minor bugs are looked into and fixed if possible.
This may fix the Twitch black screen issue for you. You will find the Shutdown option in the Power section of the Start menu if you use a Windows computer.
Refresh The Twitch Web Page On Your Browser
The easiest workaround to the Twitch black screen error is to refresh the page. Every browser has a refresh button near the address bar. You can also press F5 to refresh the page when the browser window is active. This solution can work for every website that has trouble loading or is unresponsive.
Check The Internet Connection
It is not an unknown fact that your computer needs to be connected to the internet for the browser to open any website. There are also some network standards that have to be met for loading the Twitch website.
If there is a slow network, the site and the media player in it may not load properly. Therefore, a black screen may be seen. If this is your case, you will have to talk to the service provider or upgrade your network plan.
Switch To Another DNS Server Address
The DNS server address is the component that helps the websites load on a browser. When the DNS address cannot be recognized by the browser, the pages will not open. Instead, you will see an error message that implies that the browser cannot detect an internet connection.
You can manually edit the Primary and Alternative network DNS addresses for the network your system is connected to. If you do not know how to, use the below steps.
- Open the Settings window by clicking on the gear icon in the Start menu or with the help of the Windows + I keys.
- Select the Network & Internet settings tile, and then go into Ethernet or Wi-Fi, depending on which provides internet connectivity to your system.
- Choose the network that is connected and click on the Edit button under the IP settings section.
- Select Manual from the Edit IP settings drop-down menu.
- Toggle the IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4) switch on.
- Type the DNS server addresses for the primary and secondary DNS servers. We recommend using the Google Public DNS address.
- Once you’ve entered the new addresses, click on the Save button to save these changes.
Changing the DNS is always a good idea. A computer network DNS should be changed for a variety of reasons, including security against unknown threats and increased internet speed.
Changing your DNS settings to Public DNS servers will enhance your internet speed up to five times faster than your current bandwidth. It’s also possible that changing the DNS will prevent them from getting access to malicious websites. Therefore, it aids in the administration of parental restrictions. For more information, you can check out our article on the DNS server.
Reset The Network IP Address
The network IP address can also be a factor that determines what and how fast the browser loads content on the Twitch website. You can try changing the IP address on your website. However, changing it manually can be very risky and difficult. Making a small mistake can make the network connection invalid.
If you still wish to change the IP address manually, you will have to use the network provider’s firmware or interface. The easiest method to do this is to use a VPN proxy application.
Turn Off Ad-Blockers
The advertisements blocking extensions that go on your browser can help disable ads on websites when you load them. But they can get in the way of the media player on the Twitch website. The main reason for this is that an unskippable advertisement is displayed to the viewers the first time they join a live stream.
The ad-blockers can be found on the extensions page on your browsers. Try removing them and then, join a stream. If you are able to see the streamed material, you’re all set. However, if you don’t proceed to the next solution.
Delete The Saved Browser Cache
A full browser cache memory storage can prevent any website from being launched properly. Users can delete the browser cache and it can help web pages function smoothly. These are the steps to get rid of the browser cache on popular browsers.
- Open the Chrome settings through the drop-down menu on the top-right corner of the window.
- Go into the Privacy and Security (chrome://settings/privacy) tab on the left panel.
- Select the Clear Browsing data option.
- Uncheck all the options except the Cookies and other site data option.
- Click on the Clear data option to delete the cookies and cached data.
- Go into the browser Settings that is available in the hamburger menu on the upper-right corner of the window.
- Click on the Privacy & Security option on the left.
- Locate the Cookies and site data section and click on the Clear Data button.
- In the confirmation window, make sure that all the options are checked and press the Clear Data button.
- Click on the hamburger menu on the upper-right part of the screen.
- Scroll down to the Privacy & Security section in this menu.
- Select the Clear Data button and confirm this in the dialog box that appears.
- Press the Ctrl + , keys on your keyboard to open the Preferences window.
- Move to the Privacy tab.
- On top of the page, select the Remove all website data.
- Now, press the Remove Now button.
- Launch the Internet Explorer browser.
- Press the Alt + X keys to open the Explorer tools window.
- Choose Internet Options and in the window that appears, go into the Privacy tab.
- Under the Location section, select the Clear sites button.
- Open the Microsoft Edge website.
- Enter the following in the address bar – edge://settings/privacy.
- Find the Clear Browsing Data section.
- Select the Choose what to clear option.
- Check the Cached images and files option in the dialog box. The other options may or may not be checked, depending on what you want to delete.
- Click on the Clear Data button.
Disable The Hardware Acceleration Feature
The Twitch black screen can be caused by the hardware acceleration feature when it is enabled. It may help fix it when this component is turned off in the browser. Assuming that you use the Google Chrome browser to watch your Twitch streams, this is what you have to do for shutting hardware acceleration down.
- Open the three-dot menu in your Chrome browser. You should be able to find this in the top-right corner of the browser window, right under the Exit button.
- Go into the Settings option. You can also type in ‘chrome://settings/’ into the address bar and hit Enter.
- Click on the Advanced section, on the left menu pane, to expand it.
- Select the System sub-section and uncheck the Use hardware acceleration when available option on this page.
- Close the browser window and open it again to save these new changes.
Change The Network Configurations Back To Default
Resetting the network back to the default configurations should be able to fix almost every network-related error on your device. There are three ways for you to reset the network.
- You can press the reset button, which is on the back of the network router, and hold it for around 15 seconds to reboot the device. You can use a toothpick or a pin gently.
- The network interface allows access to the network settings. You can access this to make changes in them. The interface is usually opened with the help of a unique IP address entered on the browser address bar and allocated login credentials.
- Unplugging the modem and reconnecting it after a minute or so make the router undergo a power cycle.
Download Graphics Driver Software Updates
The easiest way to download the latest GPU driver version is to use the interface developed by the Video Card manufacturer. Some of them include the NVIDIA GeForce Experience and the Radeon Adrenalin. The GPU interfaces are the simplest way to get a driver update. Even though carrying this task out manually has its risks, here are the steps to do it.
- The Device Manager window should be opened. The Quick Link/Power User menu (Ctrl + X), the Run utility (Windows + R), and the search field on the taskbar are often used to access open this window on your Windows computer.
- Once the Device Manager window opens, look for the Display Adapters section. You can expand this section by clicking on its label.
- Right-click on a device and select Properties from the context menu to open the driver properties window.
- Choose the Update option and an Update wizard will appear, prompting you to select Search automatically for drivers. Your system and the internet will be scanned for available updates, and they will be downloaded.
- After a reboot of the OS, this driver software should be installed automatically.
Turn The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Feature On
The TLS or the Transport Layer Security is a browser feature that protects the passwords and other information like your payment details on a browser. When this feature is disabled, you will have to turn it back on, for safety and also to let you stream live content on Twitch. With the right procedure, you can enable it.
- Open the Run tool and execute the control command.
- Now, when the Control Panel window appears, click on the Network and Internet option.
- Select Internet options and go to the Advanced tab.
- Check all the options related to the TLS feature.
- Now, choose Apply and OK to save your changes.
Use A Different Browser
The final alternative is to use a different web browser. You just have to close the browser that you used to open the Twitch site and open another one. If the other website does not help you, you can use another device to watch your stream.
By now, you should be able to watch your streamer play with you cheering them on in the chat. If you can’t, try contacting Twitch support. They could have another solution for you. Happy Streaming!
How Do I Fix Black Screen On Twitch?
If you are looking at a black screen instead of a live stream, you can try refreshing the site, changing the DNS address, resetting the internet connection, changing the IP address, removing the ad-blicking extensions, getting rid of the browser cache, turning off hardware acceleration on the browser, and updating the graphics driver software. If this issue persists, try watching the stream on a different browser.
Why Is Twitch Not Working On My Laptop?
The Twitch application may not work on your computer. It can be caused by malware or network issues. Sometimes the antivirus software on your computer can be responsible for the Twitch application to malfunction, as they can detect the application or its process to be a threat.
Why Is Twitch Not Working On My Xbox?
If you wish to stream from your Xbox on Twitch, you will need to check the internet connection on your Xbox. The Microsoft streaming integration tool has to be available in the dashboard. This feature will help you with adjusting features before and while streaming. Make sure that your overlay is active for more convenience.
How To Fix Twitch Black Screen?
Fixing the Twitch black screen issue can be made easy by using these procedures.
– Restart the browser and the system
– Change the DNS address and the IP address
– Remove ad blocker extensions from the browser
– Clear the browser cache data
– Update the GPU driver software to the latest version
– Turn off hardware acceleration
– Reset the network
– Contact the Twitch support