Microsoft is introducing a new pen experience, windows ink. With the windows 10-anniversary update. The operating system has included the same pen support for years at the core of windows ink. But they have many new improvements.
Windows ink workspace acts as a central hub. You can access new sticky notes for creating notes and reminders. If you need to disable the windows ink workspace, this is the right place. Follow this step-by-step guide to do it.
How To Disable Windows Ink Workspace in Windows 10?
Windows ink workspace is the newest feature of windows. It helps its user to write and draw on a computer screen. It is a windows anniversary update. You can write sticky notes, doodle on a sketchpad, and take a desktop screenshot. Then, it can be loaded for sketching. You can check here to disable windows ink.
Now, it is easy for users to edit any text, draw, or write notes. Also, to capture screenshots and crop and share their creations.
The plus point is that this feature can also be used from the lock screen. However, not everyone can handle these features. Below we have discussed how to turn off windows ink workspace in windows 10. It will make it easy for you to disable this feature.
On Microsoft surfaces devices, Microsoft integrates with it, edge, and maps. The devices which are supported by a stylus or pen, this feature is beneficial for them.
How to Disable Windows Ink
Here are the steps you need to follow to turn off the feature in windows 10 without trouble. Two processes are available to disable windows 10, mentioned below:
Disable Windows Ink Using Group Policy
There are several ways to disable windows ink. The local group policy editor is the fastest way to turn it off. You can do so if you use Windows 10 pro, enterprise, or education.
- Press the window key and R keyboard shortcut to open the run command.
gpedit.mscand click OK.
- Select computer configuration.
- Expand the given path: Administrative Template\Windows components\Windows Ink Workspace. Note: It is important to note that if you see two windows ink workspace entries, you must go for the second one. Or else the instructions will not work.
- Double-click the allow windows ink workspace settings on the right side.
- Go to check the enabled option.
- Go to the drop-down menu and select disabled under options.
- Hit apply.
- Confirm by pressing OK.
- Restart the computer to observe the new changes.
As you restart your device, observe. The window ink workspace icon will no longer be available in the taskbar. Also, notice one more thing. The show windows ink workspace button on the taskbar menu will be unavailable.
If you want to revert the changes, follow the steps given above. Remember, on step 8, select the not configured option this time.
Disable Windows Ink Workspace Using Registry Tweak
There is no local group policy editor feature on windows 10 home. But you can get these results using the registry if you face the challenge.
Before making any changes to the registry, keep one thing in mind. These changes may be the reason to cause irreversible damage to your installation only if there is any lacking while doing them.
You are recommended to create a full backup of your computer before proceeding. In case you face any damage, your data will not be lost. It is a warning!
- Press the Windows key plus the “R” keyboard shortcut to open the run command.
regeditand hit OK to open the windows registry.
- Browse the following path:
If you do not find the WindowsInkWorkspace key folder, then follow the given command:
- Right-click the Microsoft key, select new, and click Key.
- Write the new key name WindowsInkWorkspace.
- Hit OK.
- Double-click the key and make sure its value is set to 0, which means disabled.
Now, restart your computer to apply the changes.
As you restart the computer, the local group policy editor completes the process. The windows ink workspace will not be available anymore in the taskbar. And you will see one more thing. The “show Windows ink workspace” button would be unavailable from the taskbar menu.
How to Open the Windows Ink Workspace
If the users are not using a digital pen with their PC, they will not see the ink workspace. Even so, it is possible only by Microsoft for non-pen users to turn on the ink workspace in windows 10 and check it out.
Activate the Ink Workspace with a right click:
Select the windows ink workspace. Right-click anywhere on the taskbar from the context menu. S shape icon of a pen writing will appear in the notifications area to the far right.
When you click on that, the ink workspace appears. It includes sticky notes by default. It is an app accessible outside of the workspace. And some more apps you may not know, like sketchpad and screen sketch.
How to Launch and Find Pen-Enabled Apps
The windows ink workspace works like a start menu to get stuff done with a pen. It is great to avoid hunting down the apps and grab your pen. Now press the button and go to tap the app you are willing to use with a pen.
It is available as a sidebar on the right side of the screen. You can easily access apps like the new sticky notes or sketchpad. And screen sketch tools with quick shortcut tiles. For launching pen-enabled apps, you used recently.
These shortcut tiles are helpful in another way to find and launch pen-enabled apps. And the other installed applications do not get in the way.
Here, you will also have suggested apps from the windows store. Not only this, you can get more pen apps to view a special page on the windows store. It will give only pen-enabled apps. It will give you a faster way to get pen-enabled apps, such as Microsoft’s new paint application or digital art.
Here is a list of some great pen-enabled apps
This app has the outstanding feature of stitching together double-exposure compositions with anything from family photos to panoramic videos.
Plumbago is a note-taking app with a creative flair, and it supports multiple notebooks up to 25 pages.
This app gives true freedom of expression to senior artists, including a wide variety of brushes and drawing tools.
It is expensive. But it is helpful for students interested in digitizing their math education. This app can detect hand-drawn numbers, symbols, operators, and variables with reasonable accuracy.
- Drawboard PDF
It is a PDF creation app. It allows users to draw diagrams, jot down notes or add other files to a document. Its excellent pen support gives a smooth writing experience.
How to Use Sticky Notes, Sketchpad, and Screen Sketch
These are the three main windows ink workspace apps that windows provide. And are designed to make using a pen easier and quicker.
Sticky notes are used to write down notes with a pen, or you can type them with your keyboard and then refer to them later. It is a lightweight app that is ideal for quick notes. Do you want more detailed and effective note-taking? It is much better to go with Microsoft OneNote.
When you open sticky notes, it will ask you to open and enable insights. Making windows use character recognition to read your sticky notes.
To write down a flight number, sticky notes will perform character recognition. And will also recognize the flight number and turn it into a link.
Go to tap the link to view updated details about that flight number. It is completely optional. The main work of sticky notes is to write notes with a pen or keyboard.
Sketchpad is essentially a digital whiteboard. You can choose different writing styles, from colored pens and thicker highlighters to several colors. You will also see that a virtual ruler can be enabled, and you can draw a completely straight line.
Place the ruler, and your line will be straight to the ruler’s edge. Your whiteboard image can be saved to an image file. Or you can share it with someone by pressing the share button through another app.
Screen sketch is a somewhat simple tool by which you can mark up your screen. When this is launched, it will take a screenshot and provide you with drawing tools that can be used to annotate it.
You can draw or write whatever you want on your screen. Then it can be saved to an image file and sent to someone, or you can share it using the share button with another app.
To save a screenshot without annotating it, use the Windows + PrintScreen keyboard shortcut.
How to Configure Your Pen and Customize the Workspace
What your device’s pen can do? What your device’s pen can do when connected? You can indicate this under the pen section and windows ink setting page. But for this, you must be sure that your pen has been paired with your device.
Here is how you can pair your pen:
- Go to the settings app, and click the cogwheel icon in the start menu.
- Go to devices, and select Bluetooth and other devices in the left pane of the new page.
- Hit the shortcut button on your pen and hold it for almost seven seconds to initiate pairing mode.
- Now, choose your pen from the list of available and click on pair.
The default mode is set to right-handed as the pairing is done. You can change the settings if you are left-handed. Why do you need this? When you open context menus with your pen, you have them on the opposite side of your dominant hand. Are you left-handed? The pen settings are for right-handed use. It will create a problem viewing the opened menus.
Here are the pen settings that can be enabled or disabled:
- Virtual effects
- Show cursor: As you enable this setting, the cursor will be displayed as a dot on your screen. It could be in any position as you move the tip of your pen.
- Ignore touch input when I’m using my pen: If you enable this option, your hand gestures and touch input will not have any effect when the pen is active.
- Show the handwriting panel when tablet mode is not being used, or no keyboard is attached: If this option is enabled, converts your writing to text. You will find a keyboard icon in the notification if the option is active.
How to Disable the Windows Ink Workspace Icon
Suppose you are unwilling to use a pen with windows and want to have the windows ink workspace off your taskbar. It can be turned off just like other systems icons.
To do this, use the following settings:
- Go to Settings by pressing the Windows and I keys together.
- Open the Taskbar
- Then turn system icons on or off.
- Locate the Windows ink workspace icon and let it set to off.
How to Use (or Disable) the Windows Ink Workspace on Windows 10
Windows ink, Microsoft ink, or pen and Windows ink, is a room of software. It allows users to use a digital pen or finger, which helps them to write or draw on their computer screen.
It allows you to edit text, write notes, wand, draw, or capture a screenshot of your desktop. Also, mark up, crop, and share your creations. You will also have another feature. It can be used from the lock screen, so you can use it even if you are not logged into your device.
It is a great feature. It enables users to handwrite on their computer screen or draw on their computers. But, some users do not use this feature to disable windows ink.
- Disable Windows Ink Workspace via Group Policy
- Disable Windows Ink Workspace via Registry Editor
Way 1: Disable Windows Ink Workspace via Group Policy
On Windows 10, this way is no longer available. If you are using windows 10 home, you can try the following method.
- Go to press windows plus R to open the run window. Type
gpedit.mscon the Run window and hit the OK button.
- Navigate to the following path on the group policy window:
Computer configuration > Administrative Template > Windows Components > Windows ink workspace
- Hit the allow windows ink workspace settings on the right pane.
- Select the enabled option. Then select Disabled from the drop-down menu under options. Hit apply and Ok.
- You should not see the window ink workspace icon in the taskbar when you restart your computer. And the button to show the windows ink workspace on the taskbar context menu will no longer be available.
Way 2: Disable Windows Ink Workspace via Registry Editor
- Tap the Windows + R key to open the Run window. Type Regedit on the Run window, and now click the OK button.
- Navigate to the following path on the registry editor now.
- Now create the AllowWindowsInkWorkspace key;
- Expand the WindowsInkWorkspace key;
- Right-click the space in the right pane;
- Select New > DWORD (32-bit) value;
- Name the key as AllowWindowsInkWorkspace and now set its value data to 0. Now click Ok.
- Now reboot your computer to apply the changes. The results should be the same as displayed in way 1.
There are different windows update error codes. This post is helpful for you to address 0×c1900107 with 6 solutions. You can now check what they are if you run this code.
Collaborate in Whiteboard
A whiteboard is a blank page used for notes or drawings. Or imported images that meeting participants can work on together. As the session is over, the product of your collaboration can be saved.
Open a new whiteboard
You need to be a meeting presenter to open a whiteboard. If you are not a presenter yet, the meeting organizer or any other presenter in the meeting can make you one. All the meeting partners, presenters, or attendees, can work on the whiteboard.
- Click the share menu and a new whiteboard in the meeting window.
- A blank whiteboard opens on the stage (right pane of the meeting window) on everyone’s screen.
When the presenter opens another whiteboard, another sharing activity begins. The whiteboard will automatically close. But be available in the content list for use late in the meeting.
You can add content using the tools at the bottom of the whiteboard.
Note: Many meeting participants can work on the whiteboard simultaneously, but one person can use one tool simultaneously.
- You can click anywhere and start typing on a new whiteboard. Or else, hit the select option and type button select and type tool first.
- You can select font size by clicking the down arrow next to the select and type button before you start typing.
- Select the Color button and color tool to choose a text color before you start typing.
- You have to copy the text you want to use on the clipboard.
- Now, click the whiteboard anywhere you want to paste the text, and then press CTRL+V.
You can choose the color tool and color button to select a text before you paste it.
Lines, arrows, and shape
- Hit the line button, line tool, draw lines, or select the down arrow next to the button. Then you have to select another shape.
- Color button and color tool are used to select a color before drawing.
Freehand drawing or highlighting
Hit the pen button pen tool. Then you can start writing or drawing in black. Or click the down arrow next to the button. Now select another pen color or a transparent highlighter to draw with.
Arrow, check mark, or X stamp.
Click the arrow stamp button arrow stamp tool, and then click on the whiteboard to add an arrow. Or select the down arrow next to the button, and then choose the check mark or X.
Insert an image
- Go to the insert button insert image tool, select the image you want on your screen and double click it.
- You can resize the imported image by dragging the triangle in its lower right corner.
Anything you can select and move on the whiteboard.
Move one object
- Click the select and type button, select and type tool.
- Click the object you want to move.
A selection rectangle appears around the selected object.
- Now it can be dragged to its new position.
Note: For typed text, hit the bar at the top of the text box before dragging it.
Move several objects simultaneously.
- Hit the select and type button select and type tool.
- Draw the box around by using a mouse pointer.
A selection of rectangles appears around the selected objects.
- Place the mouse cursor on any of the selected objects, and now you can drag the group to its new position.
Change the color of the content.
The color of most objects can be changed when you add them to the whiteboard.
- Hit the select and type button and select and type tool.
- Select the object you want to change. If you want several objects to be the same color, draw a box around them using the mouse pointer.
A selection rectangle appears around the objects you have selected.
- Hit the color button color tool, and then click the color you want.
Undo and redo work
If you want to redo or undo your work, do the following:
Go to the additional tools arrow, and then click Undo or Redo.
This tool can repeatedly go backward and forward. Through your changes to the whiteboard.
Note: This process cannot be used on other’s people work.
Determine who added or changed content
You can check who added or changed content on the whiteboard. To do so, follow the given instructions:
- For non-text items on the whiteboard, hold the mouse pointer over the content. See what was created and last modified by information.
- For typed text, the point at the text. Then hold the mouse pointer over a solid rectangle that appears above the text when you point at it.
Point to content to show what you are referring to
You have to use the laser pointer to show other meeting participants what you are referring to.
- Hit the laser pointer button laser pointer.
- Click the object you wish to point to and hold down the mouse button.
- Now the blue circle and your name is visible to everyone.
If you want to delete content, follow the steps given below:
- Hit the select and type button select and type tool.
- Choose the object or objects that you want to delete.
- Tap the delete key.
Rename the whiteboard
It is a plus point. You can name whiteboards during a meeting if the group switches back and forth among several.
Click the down arrow at the top of the stage. Hit the arrow next to the whiteboard you want to rename, and now click rename.
Save the Whiteboard
Save the whiteboard to your computer. So that you can reach your collaborative work after the meeting is over.
Hit the save button save with annotations, type a file name, and then click save.
Temporarily closed whiteboard
If you want to close a whiteboard that you may want to use again, do as mentioned below:
- Click stop sharing in the right corner of the stage.
- The whiteboard is closed but will be available if you want to use it later in the meeting.
Whiteboard can be reopened later in one of the following ways:
- Click the content list if the whiteboard is open, and then click the whiteboard you want to share.
- Click the share menu if the stage is hidden, now click recent content, and tap the whiteboard.
Privately view a closed whiteboard.
- A closed whiteboard can be referred to without sharing it with other attendees.
- Click the share menu in case of a hidden stage, and then click show stage.
- Click the content list at the top of the stage. If you want to view a whiteboard, you have to click the arrow next to the whiteboard and then tap view privately.
Permanently delete a Whiteboard.
For this purpose, follow the given steps:
- Select the down arrow at the top of the stage.
- Click the arrow next to the whiteboard you wish to delete, and then tap Remove from the meeting.
Add notes to screenshots using snip and sketch.
Open snip and sketch and draw on whatever you are doing on your PC at that moment, or open a previous image. All sketchpad tools are present in snip and sketch, from stencils to line width to sharing and exporting.
Tip: If you want to determine what happens when you click the shortcut button on your pen,
Go to settings > devices > pen and windows ink and go down to one shortcut to customize that the button does.
In the current version of windows 10, windows stylus support can be seen. With a new windows ink workspace featured. By its design, it is easy to use a digital pen to work with a windows 10 tablet or convertible devices.
Using windows ink workspace on windows 10
Not only is Windows workspace a dedicated launcher for the pen. But also it includes new sticky notes, sketchpads, and screen sketch applications. More options can be found to control your pen functions in the settings app.
How to open windows ink workspace?
Click the pen-shaped windows below the ink workspace icon for a ready workspace. It appears in your notification area. The windows ink workspace can be launched easily if you have a stylus or digital pen with a shortcut button. Do so by pressing the button on the pen.
Explaining example, if there is a surface pen, the button on the pen can be pressed to launch the workspace. There is a default setting. It can be customized what the pen from the settings app for windows ink workspace.
How to launch and find pen-enabled apps?
Windows ink workspace is like a start menu in its new version for doing stuff with a pen. Despite seeking individual apps, you can get them. You can do so by grabbing your pen, pressing the button, and then tapping the app you intend to use the pen.
You can get quick access to apps like the new sticky notes, sketchpad, and screen sketch tools because the windows ink workspace opens as a slider on the right side of your screen.
It comes with quick shortcut tiles to ready pen-enabled apps that you used recently. These shortcuts help you to find and launch pen-enabled apps. You can do so without your other installed applications getting in the way.
From the windows store here, suggested apps can also be seen. You can tap to get more pen apps to view a special page on the windows store that lists only pen-enabled apps. It will provide you with a faster manner to find pen-enabled apps.
- Sticky notes
- Screen sketch
Microsoft’s application for those who work in Digital art.
How to use sticky notes?
These are the three main windows ink workspace apps provided by Windows. They are designed to make using your pen easier and faster.
Sticky notes are used to write down with a pen (or you can type them out with your keyboard) and refer to them later. Sticky notes are ideal for quick notes as it is lightweight.
You will have enabled insights in extensive detailed note-taking, with sticky notes opened. You can use windows character recognition to read your sticky notes through it.
You will be asked why you open sticky notes when you enable insights. Through these windows, use character recognition will read your sticky notes.
Study with sticky notes
- Mark your book
Sticky notes help mark your study pages or passages. You have to note the relevant page. And maybe write a brief note or a few keywords to indicate why you marked this section. As traditional square sticky notes, slim and tall ones can be purchased. They work accurately to mark pages in a book.
These slimmer notes can mark the page without covering much of the text.
Regular square notes can be torn into thinner strips and used as markers.
Sticky notes represent important information, especially if you restructure the information in your wording.
- Mark some notes
Sticky notes provide a great way to make brief notes on the topic you are studying. Sticky notes are also perfect for writing keywords or phrases you want to learn. They can be put on the wall around where you are working. Also, you can make a longer detailed notebook in the workbook.
The notes can be organized and moved around to help visualize the information you want to learn.
You are studying for a history exam and must learn the events chronologically. Sticky notes help keep your notes in order and separate them by year or month.
Sticky notes are also used to condense important paragraphs in your language. It is quite helpful to summarize important information. It also helps you to reteach the information.
You can use sticky notes if you are interested in learning a foreign language. You can write the key vocabulary and stick notes around the house. Like on walls, to practice any new language, you are learning.
- Label your folder
Sticky notes can be used to label your different folders. And collections of notes make it easy to find what you study. The sticky notes can be trimmed down so you can use the slim adhesive-backed section.
How to use a sketchpad?
As you know, a sketchpad is a basic digital whiteboard. You can choose styles for writing, including thin pencils to colored pens. Also, thicker highlighters of different colors from an option. A virtual pen can be enabled that allows you to draw a completely straight line.
Using a ruler and drawing, your line will be straight to the ruler’s edge. An image of your whiteboard can be saved to share with anyone else through another app.
How to use a screen sketch?
It is the third window, and a sketch is a simple tool that allows you to mark your screen. By launching the screen sketch, you will be given drawing tools that can be used to annotate it. You can draw or write whatever you want on your screen.
With sharing button, the file can be shared with other apps.
After disabling the windows ink workspace, you won’t be able to launch sketchpad or screen sketch. But you can still use sticky notes because it is a regular windows store app.
Moreover, disabling the experience doesn’t remove the pen. Nor the windows ink settings page from the settings app. The pen button functions would fall back to open the OneNote app for all options if you had the pen shortcuts configured.