Introducing Wi-Fi calling is a superb solution to fix mobile network issues during a call. It can be a catch-up with a friend or even a client meeting.
A seamless calling experience is the essence of a phone. Yet, the excellent feature may sometimes hit its limit. Thus, wanting you to turn off WiFi calling for the time being.
While there can be several reasons behind this, let’s unfold the mystery to turn it off in a few minutes.
What is Wi-Fi Calling?
The WiFi calling feature has justified its name since its inception in the smartphone industry.
It allows you to make calls without depending on the coverage of the cellular network in your area.
What’s more? It is enabled by default on all LTE-based smartphones. Hence, it offers an excellent backup and connectivity service in cases of urgency.
Issues with WiFi Calling
- Unable to make calls
- Issues with the latest update
- Poor call quality
Issues with WiFi Calling
Even with its excellent features, WiFi calling sometimes falls short of its expectations. If you have experienced it before, it might have been due to the reasons below:
1. Out of coverage area
Although this message is familiar with a cellular network, you can also relate it to your WiFi. The primary reason is the range that your WiFi router offers.
A typical WiFi router offers coverage between 5-10 meters. You can extend it using extension routers, but that is an extra effort.
Thus, if you move out of the range of your WiFi network, your calls will get affected.
2. Issues with the latest update
This can apply to your router as well as your smartphone. If any of these have received recent updates, it can hamper your calling experience.
Maybe your WiFi network provider has undergone an upgrade that unexpectedly affects its services. Or an update on either Android devices or iOS devices can also cause this issue.
3. Poor network or call quality
This becomes possible if your Wi-Fi router is serving devices beyond its capacity. Yes, that is true.
A regular WiFi router is set to work with 5 devices simultaneously. Although, this number can be modified.
Several devices connecting to a single router will distribute its bandwidth. As a result, the speed and performance will impact your calling requirements.
Steps to Turn Off WiFi Calling
- On Android Phones
- On iPhones
- On Samsung Phones
- On iPad
- On Google Phones
- On Xiaomi Phones
- On OnePlus phones
- On Mac
Steps to Turn Off WiFi Calling
1. On Android Phones
Here are the steps to turn off WiFi calling on your Android phone:
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Select the connections menu or search for it in the settings search bar.
- Under this, you’ll find the WiFi calling option. Use the toggle button to switch it off.
2. On iPhones
You can use the steps below to toggle off WiFi calling on your iPhone:
- Launch the Settings app on your device.
- Tap on Cellular to open its detailed menu.
- You should be able to locate the Wifi calling option.
- Use the toggle button and set it off.
3. On Samsung Phones
If you use any of the Samsung Galaxy smartphones, this guide can help you turn off WiFi-based calling.
- Open the calling or phone app on the home screen of your Samsung devices.
- You should see a set of 3 vertical dots in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on it to open the phone’s settings.
- Scroll down its menu to locate the Wifi calling.
- Next, toggle it off, and you are done!
4. On iPad
Turning WiFi calling off on an iPad takes a curvy route. Along with the iPad, you’ll also need your iPhone to turn the feature off. Here are the steps to do it:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Click and open the Cellular menu.
- Under this, locate the Call on other devices option.
- Next, find the Allow Calls menu and tap on it.
- Now, locate your iPad under the available devices list.
- You should now see a toggle switch against your iPad.
- Click on it and disable the feature until you are ready for it.
5. On Google Phones
Here are the quick steps to turn off WiFi-based calling on your Google Pixel devices.
- Launch the calling or phone app of your Pixel device. It is the blue-colored phone icon on the home screen.
- Tap on the 3 vertical dots present in the top right corner of the screen.
- This will launch the settings app of the phone.
- Now, click on the Calls menu, and you’ll find the WiFi network calling option.
- As required, toggle Wi-Fi calling service off until you need it next.
6. On Xiaomi Phones
For Xiaomi users, here is the most straightforward set of steps to disable Wireless network calling on your phone:
- Open the Settings on your phone.
- Next, open the SIM cards & mobile networks menu.
- Under this, select the primary SIM card for making phone calls.
- You should find an option as ‘Make calls using WiFi.’
- Toggle it off, and your phone will now rely on the power of cellular service to make future data calls.
7. On OnePlus phones
Follow the steps mentioned below and set WiFi calling off.
- Swipe down the menu bar available on your phone’s home screen.
- You should be able to see the name of your cellular service provider in the bottom left corner of the menu bar.
- Tap on it to open the SIM and network settings.
- Click on the SIM card available, and its detailed settings menu will open.
- Next, you should see the Wi-Fi calling option toggle button. Tap on the toggle to turn it off.
8. On Mac
Turning WiFi calling off on your Mac can be easily done using your iPhone device. Here are the steps to do so:
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone handset.
- Open the Cellular menu and tap on the Calls on Other devices option.
- Under this, you’ll find an option as Allow Calls on.
- Locate your Mac in this list and tap the toggle button to switch it off.
As required, your device will no longer be able to make or receive calls over a WiFi network.
What is the downside of Wi-Fi calling?
You may face issues with WiFi calling if you use a public WiFi connection loaded with devices. Or you may also face connectivity issues if you move out of the coverage area of the WiFi router.
Why is my phone using Wi-Fi calling?
All LTE-based smartphones have WiFi network calling enabled in them. So, your phone calls may automatically switch to it when available.
What happens if you turn off Wi-Fi calling?
If Wi-Fi calling is off, your phone calls will rely on cellular coverage. The experience depends on the services offered by your network provider. At the same time, this can incur increased internet charges. The chances increase if you frequently use facetime or Whatsapp-based video calls.
How to turn off wifi calling Samsung?
You’ll have to open the Settings of your Samsung device and then locate the Wifi Calling option. Next is to toggle off the button available for WiFi network calls.