With advancing technology, it has become easier to use electronic gadgets. The turn off voice assistant on Android devices enables blind people to use phones.
Also, people who like multitasking can take advantage of the voice assistant feature.
But, this feature has flaws as people often find it launching independently. Even when you don’t initiate voice commands.
As a result, users who don’t use this feature daily find it annoying. So, if you are looking for ways to turn off voice assistants on Android devices, then you are at the right place.
This blog will teach the cause behind it and its solutions. So, keep scrolling to find the solution that can work in your situation.
Why Does Google Assistant Keep On Launching By Itself?
You might encounter issues related to Google Assistant, which is launching independently. It could be frustrating when you are doing something important on your phone.
Well, the reason behind this issue is because of the hot word feature they use.
It is a feature that activates Google Assistant on your phone. The hot words are used as commands that Microphone catches. Hey Google and OK, Google are the most common commands among users.
Brands like Amazon, Apple, and Samsung use the same feature in their digital assistant.
The downside to this feature is that sometimes there is an error of false accepts. False accepts is a situation where the software mistakes a word you say as a hot word. This leads to an abrupt launch of Google Assistant on your device.
Also, some smartphones have pre-set buttons and gestures assigned to launch Google Assistant. You can overcome this problem simply by disabling gesture activation.
Solutions To Turn Off Voice Assistant on Android
- Disable Google Assistant Trigger on Android
- Turn Off Google Assistant On Android
- Disable Voice Assistant On Samsung Phone
- Turn Off The TalkBack Feature
- Disable Gestures On Android
- Disable Alexa
1. Disable Google Assistant App Voice Trigger On Android
Many people use Google Assistant for even small tasks. In that case, disabling the trigger options might work the best. So, to disable the Google Assistant trigger on Android, follow these steps:
- On your Android smartphone, open the Google app.
- Now go to the top-right corner and tap on your profile icon.
- Go to the Settings.
- Choose Google Assistant settings.
- Now from your profile page, tap on “Hey Google & Voice Match.”
- You will see either the Hey Google option or the Ok Google option. Whatever option appears from the two, just toggle off the button beside them.
After disabling the trigger options, your Google Assistant won’t launch on commands. These commands include Ok Google or Hey Google.
2. Turn Off Google Assistant Completely On Android
Sometimes disabling the trigger options does not work. It happens when something else is the cause of the Google Assistant pop-up.
Now the only solution which can work is turning off Google Assistant.
This method is effective for Android users who do not use Google Assistant. It is ineffective for those who use Google Assistant as turning it off will disable all its functions.
So here’s how you can turn off Google Assistant on your Android phone:
- Launch the Google app.
- Go to your profile icon, which is in the top-right corner, and tap on it.
- Navigate to Settings and open Assistant settings.
- Scroll down till you see the General option and tap on it.
- Disable the Google Assistant option by flipping off the switch.
- At last, tap on the Turn Off option to confirm the action.
Once you switch off the Google Assistant, it won’t pop up on its own until you turn it on again.
To roll it back, you can repeat the steps, only this time turn on the Google Assistant option.
3. Disable Voice Assistant On Samsung Phone
The steps to turn off Voice Assistant on Samsung android phones are quite different. So, if you use a Samsung phone, then these are the steps that you can execute for the same:
- If your phone is on Voice Assistant mode, use two fingers to slide up the home screen. This action will open the app drawer.
- Navigate to the Settings app and double tap on its icon.
- Scroll down till you see the Accessibility option and double tap on it once you find it.
- Tap twice on the Vision option.
- Double click on Voice Assistant.
- Now double tap on the ON option, which you may find under Voice Assistant.
- Toggle off the slider.
Performing these steps will disable the voice assistant on your Samsung phone. Head back to the home screen by pressing the Home button on your phone. Use your phone to check if the problem persists.
4. Turn Off The TalkBack Feature
Android devices have the TalkBack feature to use a voice assistant. To get rid of the voice assistant pop-up, check if it’s turned on. If yes, then you need to turn this feature off by following these steps:
- Navigate to the Settings of your phone and then select System.
- From the System setting, tap on Accessibility.
- Tap on the Vision option from the Accessibility section.
- Select TalkBack.
- Toggle off the slider, which is beside the option of Talkback, to turn this feature off.
Once you switch it off, you will no longer be able to use the spoken feedback.
5. Disable Gestures For Voice Assistant On Android
The gestures feature on your phone might prompt the voice assistant to launch. So, if you suspect that it’s the case with your device, then you can try turning off the gestures features. To disable gestures on Android, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings of your phone.
- Select system and tap on “Gestures.”
- Various Gesture settings will display on the screen. Different brands offer different kinds of gestures. Disable the ones you think are prompting the voice assistant to pop up.
If the gestures feature is causing the voice assistant to launch, then disabling it will solve it.
6. Disable Alexa
If you have connected your Alexa with your Android device, you might want to disable it. You can follow the given instructions for that:
- Launch the Alexa App.
- Tap on More and open Settings.
- Go to the Account Settings and choose Voice Purchasing.
- Switch off the Voice Purchasing option to disable Alexa.
Once you disable the voice settings of Alexa, you won’t be able to use it on your phone.
To roll back the settings, you can repeat the above-given steps. This time ensure to turn on the Voice Purchasing option.
So, now that you know what causes the voice assistant to launch, you can find a solution on your own.
But, to make it easier, we have provided you with the solutions that worked in most cases.
Go ahead and try these methods out to check which one works the best for you.
Remember that this was about Android devices. It includes tablets and the default apps they all come with.
We didn’t include Apple’s Siri in the list as it is an iOS device, not an Android operating system.
How Do I Turn Off Voice Assistant On My Android Phone?
If you no longer want to use the voice assistant feature on your android phone, go to the System settings. You may find it in your phone’s settings. From there, click on Accessibility and select Vision. Tap on TalkBack and turn off its toggle. Doing so will turn off all voice command functions on your android phone.
Why Does My Samsung Phone Keep Talking To Me?
Samsung phones have this great feature called Talkback. This feature enables low-vision or blind people to use their phones by speaking. But, this feature could be annoying for abled people. So, if your Samsung phone keeps talking to you, this feature could be the cause. You can disable it from the Accessibility settings.
How To Turn Off Voice Assistant On Android TV?
You can turn off the voice assistant or talkback feature on your TV by pressing the Home button on the remote. After that, go to the Settings and click on Accessibility. Under the Services option, you will see the option of Talkback and Screen Reader. Turn this feature Off, and the voice assistant will turn off.
How Do You Turn Off The “OK Google” Android Voice Search?
Launch the Google app to turn off the Ok Google voice search on your android device. Tap on the More option. Navigate to the settings and select the Voice option. Now open Voice Match and switch off the feature “Access with Voice Match.”