The PS4 controllers have a battery life of around 4-8 hours, depending on the performance. So, it is understandable if you want to conserve battery life. The battery life has always been a major issue for DualShock 4 controllers.
The following guide will learn about various ways to turn off PS4 controller. The article covers PlayStation and PC usage. You will also learn other essential tricks like setting a timer for automatic shut down.
So, if you’re looking for different ways to turn off PS4 controller, you’ve come to the right place. Let’s begin:
Reasons To Turn Off PS4 Controller
Any device that has battery support runs out of power. So, whenever it’s not in use, the best way to conserve power is to switch off the device. Likewise, the PS4 controller can function for around eight hours.
And that’s only when it is fully charged. Thus, switching its power off when the controller is not in use can save a lot of battery power. You will also conserve energy and reduce your bills. For an uninterrupted gaming experience, it is one of the best things. After all, you wouldn’t want to run out of battery mid-game.
If you want to preserve the controller battery life, consider this guide.
How To Turn Off The PS4 Controller?
- Using The PS Button
- Quick Way By Using The PC
- Customizing Options For PS4 Controller To Power Off
- Switch Off your PS4 Controller By Using The PS4 Console
- Setting Timer To Switch Off The PS4 Controller
1. Using The PS Button
The PS4 controller has a button that lets you switch it off. You can follow these simple steps to turn it off:
- Hold down the PlayStation button on your PS4 controller.
- You will find it in between the right and left analog buttons. The button has the logo of PlayStation.
- You can release the button after 10 seconds once the screen turns off.
- This method works whenever you are using a wireless connection with any device.
Please note that some versions of the dualshock four controllers require you to hold the button longer.
2. Quick Way By Using The PC
Gamers connect their PS4 controller to a PC for an improved gaming experience. So, to turn it off while it’s connected to the PC, follow these steps:
- The PS4 controller for PC comes with a user-friendly interface. You can use different tools like DS 4 Windows, as well.
- Navigate to Quick Menu and select Sound/Devices from there.
- Click Off from The On/Off option for the controller.
Remember that the DS4 controller, in the latest version, supports PC shutdown too. More on that in the next step.
3. Customizing Options For PS4 Controller To Power Off
Sometimes direct methods do not work. There could be a possible technical glitch that you are facing. So, you can turn off the PS4 controller manually as an alternative.
To do that, perform these simple instructions:
- Press the PS4 logo button in the middle of the right and left analog sticks.
- Could you not hold it like the first step? It will open a menu for you.
- Navigate to Configure Computers option from the list.
- Use the X button on your controller to select the options.
- Go to the end of the list and turn off the computer by selecting the Shut off option.
- Now click on DualShock 4 and select X to turn it off.
Yes, you can also turn off your computer by shutting down the PC. This is one of the best ways to turn off the Sony DualShock 4 when you’re not using it.
4. Switch Off your PS4 Controller By Using The PS4 Console
You can switch off the PS4 controller using the console to avoid any malfunction. Or, you can use this method if your controller gives you a hard time, especially when you try to turn it off using the PS4 power button.
To switch off the PS4 controller via PS4 console, follow the steps below:
- On your PS4, navigate to the Settings.
- Select Power Save Settings.
- Choose the Set Time Until Controller Turn Off.
- You can set the time you want the controller to be switched off when nobody is using it.
Once you set the time, your console will automatically turn off the controller.
You can set the timer according to future use also. This way, you need not bother about whether the controller is switched on or off.
5. Setting Timer To Switch Off The PS4 Controller
Those who forget to turn off their controller can set a timer to switch it off. It is the most efficient way to save the battery. You can follow the given steps so that the wireless controller can shut off automatically:
- Hold down the PS4 logo button for around 2 seconds. You may find it between the controller’s left and right analog sticks. Doing so will open the Quick Menu.
- From the Quick Menu option, select the Sound/Devices option.
- Now tap on the Set Time Until Controllers Turn Off option.
- Set the time till which you want your controller to wait before shutting off. For instance, you can set 10 minutes or 30 minutes of waiting time before it shuts off by itself.
Once you have set the timer, you can check whether it’s working by not using the controller for the set time.
These are some methods that, without any doubt, will work for switching off the PS4 controller. If you wish to turn it back on, you can press the PS logo button on the controller for a few seconds. Remember that these steps might not work for a PS5 controller.
Once it’s on, you can play your games with it. Also, if you have set the controller’s timer, it will switch off automatically. But, you will need to leave it idle until the waiting time is over.
Moreover, if you have followed all the above methods and can’t seem to switch it off, take it to the service center. Make sure to invest in a battery pack for the backup power supply.