One of the biggest reasons android users avoid shifting to the iPhone is the difficulty in transferring data.
As there is no official way to transfer data between Android and iPhone, most people aren’t even aware that it’s possible and usually start afresh when switching to an iPhone.
However, there is one type of data we never want to lose, even if we have to switch phones, and that’s our WhatsApp data, which contains all our contacts and chat history.
If you’re planning to move from Android to iPhone and want to transfer your WhatsApp data. Here’s a quick and easy guide to do it.
Requirements to Move Whatsapp Messages From Android to iOS
You need to meet a few requirements before transferring Whatsapp from Android to iPhone. Otherwise, the transferring process would fail. Here are those requirements:
- Your Android phone should be running Android 5 Lollipop or above.
- iPhone should be running on iOS 15.5 or later. This means you can transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone on iPhone 13 series, iPhone 12 series, iPhone 11 series, iPhone XS/ XS Max, iPhone SE, SE2, and SE3, and even the iPhone XR.
- A compatible version of WhatsApp, i.e., iOS version 18.104.22.168 or above and Android version 22.214.171.124 or above.
- You must log in to WhatsApp on your iPhone using the same phone number as Android.
- The Whatsapp Transfering process can take a long time, especially if you have a huge backup. Therefore, you should ensure both phones are charged and plugged into a power source.
- Your Android and iPhone should be connected to the same Wifi source, or your Android should be connected to the iPhone’s hotspot.
What Whatsapp Data Can You or Cannot Transfer to iPhone?
Not all Whatsapp data can be transferred from one phone to another. Whatsapp’s official page also mentions the data you are enabled to transfer and the data which you cannot.
Data You Can Transfer
- Account Information
- Profile Picture
- Individual and Group Chat
- Chat History (with media)
- Whatsapp settings
Data You Cannot Transfer
- Profile Display Name
- Call History
- Peer-to-Peer Payment Message
Can I Transfer WhatsApp Android to iPhone via WhatsApp Backup?
Transferring WhatsApp messages from Android to iOS via Backup is not officially supported. It’s because androids backup is transferred to Drive while the iOS Backup is transferred to iCloud.
As there is no connection between the platform, it becomes impossible to backup data. This is why we need to rely on third-party apps for transferring.
Transfer Whatsapp Chats From Android to iPhone With Move to iOS
Move to iOS is an app available on both Google Playstore and iOS app store and can be used to transfer Whatsapp data from Android to iPhone.
You should remember that, for using this method, your iPhone should be pin packed or reset to factory default settings.
Follow these steps to reset you’re iPhone:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap on General.
- Select Transfer or Reset iPhone. (make sure to back up your data in iCloud so that you can restore it later)
- Press Erase All Content and Settings.
Here are the steps for transferring data from Android to iPhone with Move to iOS:
- Download the Move to iOS app on your Android phone and launch it.
- Power on your new or factory reset iPhone and start the setup process. When the Apps & Data screen appears, select Move Data from Android.
- When a code appears on your iPhone, please enter it on your Android device > press on Continue.
- Select WhatsApp on the Transfer Data screen and tap the START button on your Android phone.
- Wait for WhatsApp to scan the data that is to be transferred. (You will be signed out of your Whatsapp account)
- Follow the screen instructions to return to the Move to iOS app and tap the Continue button to start transferring WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone. This process will take some time.
- Once the transfer process is complete, install the latest version of WhatsApp on your iPhone > Sign in to your WhatsApp account with the same phone number you used on your Android device.
- When you are done activating your new iPhone, WhatsApp chats will automatically appear on your iPhone.
Don’t See WhatsApp in Move to iOS App? Here’s Why!
Most people cannot see Whatsapp in the Move to iOS app because Whatsapp hasn’t allowed this data transferring option to all users.
This option is only available for some people, and only they see Whatsapp on Move to iOS.
However, Whatsapp is planning to provide a feature that allows WhatsApp users to transfer their data from Android to iPhone.
Move to iOS Not Working for Whats App Chats? Here’s What to Do!
If you can see the WhatsApp option on Move to iOS but having issues while trying to transfer your chats from Android to iPhone, you can try out the following solutions.
- Make sure both Android and iPhone meet the basic requirements mentioned at the start of the article. Furthermore, ensure you’re using a compatible version of WhatsApp on both devices.
- You cannot move your WhatsApp data into an already active iPhone. So make sure your iPhone is brand new. If it isn’t, reset it before trying to transfer Whatsapp data.
- Make sure you use the same number and wifi network on both phones.
- If the Move to iOS app is crashing on your android phone repeatedly. In such a case, you should contact apple support for Assistance.
Transfer WhatsApp From Android to iPhone Without Backup
If Move to iOS didn’t work for you, you could try out Whatsapp’s Transfer tool “AnyTrans” app.
This app is a professional data transfer and backup tool that enables you to transfer data from an Android to your new iPhone, including your WhatsApp data.
The Whatsapp data can be transferred through Any Trans without any Android backup, but if you want, you can also transfer Whatsapp data from Android to iPhone using the Google Drive backup.
Moreover, AnyTrans allows you to transfer data fast and safely.
Here are the steps to transfer Whatsapp data using AnyTrans App:
- Download AnyTrans on your PC > Connect your Android and iPhone to the PC via USB cables.
- Select the Social Messages Manager mode.
- Click on WhatsApp to Device.
- Then press the Transfer Now option to move on.
- Choose your Android as the source phone and your new iPhone as the target phone, and click on the Next button.
- Follow the instructions in AnyTrans: Back up your WhatsApp on your Android > Install the enhanced version on your Android > Allow access to the Phone Storage in WhatsApp.
- Log into your WhatsApp on your Android and Tap the Restore button (by doing this, you will restore the Whatsapp backup you just made to the current enhanced version of WhatsApp) > Then select Next in AnyTrans.
- AnyTrans will begin to transfer WhatsApp data to your iPhone.
Transfer Whatsapp Data From Android to iPhone With Google Drive
If you have Whatsapp data backed up on your google drive, you can use it to restore that data on your new iPhone via AnyTrans app.
Follow the steps below to transfer Whatsapp data from your Google Drive to your iPhone:
- Connect your New iPhone via USB cable and open the AnyTrans app > Go to Social Messages Manager > Select WhatsApp.
- Choose Restore WhatsApp from Google Drive Backup.
- Log in to you’re Google Drive Account. Once you sign in to your Google Drive account, you can view your WhatsApp backup history. Choose a backup file and continue.
- Access WhatsApp Files to directly restore attachments like WhatsApp photos, audio, etc.
- Acquire Authorization and Decrypt WhatsApp Messages. Follow the on-screen instructions to get authorization. After that, WhatsApp chats will be decrypted, and you can choose to restore them.
- Restore WhatsApp Backup to iPhone.
Transfer Whatsapp Chats From Android to iPhone Using Email
Email is another method that can be used to transfer chats from Android to iPhone. But you should remember that these chats won’t be transferred to your iPhone WhatsApp.
You can just download the file from Email into your iPhone and view it whenever you want to:
- Open the WhatsApp app on your Android device.
- Go to Settings and select Chats settings.
- Tap on the Chat History option to open the chat history.
- Choose Export chat to export WhatsApp chats. ( Choose the contact whose chat history you want to export)
- Choose a contact and then select Email to transfer the entire chat history of that contact to your email address.
- Open the same email account on your iPhone and open the Email you sent to yourself.
- You will be able to see your WhatsApp chat here.
How to transfer Whatsapp messages in New iPhones 12/13
PhoneTrans is just another app like the AnyTrans app that allows you to transfer Whatsapp data from your Android to your new iPhone or your old iPhone to your new iPhone.
This app supports most Android phones and the latest iPhone, such as iPhone 12/13.
- First, download PhoneTrans on your PC.
- Open PhoneTrans and go to App Transfer > Press WhatsApp and Start Transfer.
- Connect your Android and iPhone via charging cable > Click on the Transfer button to continue.
- Follow the steps on the screen to finish some settings. After which, WhatsApp transfer will start till the process is complete.
How to Enable iCloud Backup for Whatsapp on iPhone
After you have transferred your data from Android to iPhone, there is one crucial step you need to perform so that the next time you transfer data to another phone, you don’t face any issues.
That step is to back up your data on iCloud. To do this, you need to follow the steps below:
- Open Whatsapp.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Chats.
- Tap on Chat Backup.
- Select Back Up Now.
What To Do If You Want To Change Whatsapp Number
Keeping the WhatsApp number the same while transferring data is very important. Still, suppose you want to change your number.
In that case, you can use the Change Number feature WhatsApp provides to keep WhatsApp account information, including profile photo, name, about, individual chats, group chats, and settings.
You can also use this feature to inform your contacts about your new phone number by following the steps below:
- Open Whatsapp and go to Settings.
- Click on Account.
- Select Change Number and Press Continue.
- Type in your old number and new number.
- Send notifications to your contacts, then press Done
The methods mentioned above are great for transferring data from Android to iPhone without any data loss, whether you have Google Drive WhatsApp backup or not.
So make sure your phone meets the requirements and follow each step carefully to transfer your Whatsapp data from Android to iPhone.
How Do I Restore WhatsApp Chats From Google Drive Backup On An iPhone?
You can restore your Whatsapp Chats from Google Drive by connecting your iPhone to the PC and using the Anytrans app to log in to your Google Drive.
How Do I Restore My WhatsApp Chat History From Android To iPhone?
You can restore your Whatsapp chat history from Android to iPhone using the following tools:
Move to iOS
Anytrans (Requires PC)
PhoneTrans (Requires PC)
How Do I Back Up My Chats On Google Drive?
Here is how you can Back Up chats to Drive on your Android Phone:
Open Whatsapp and go to settings.
Select Chats, then Tap on Chat Backup.
Press on Back Up.
Is WhatsApp Backup Possible From Android To iPhone?
Backing up data directly from Android to iPhone isn’t possible because Android uses Google Drive for Backup while iPhone uses iCloud. However, there are some third-party apps you can use for this process, such as:
Move to iOS
Anytrans (Requires PC)
PhoneTrans (Requires PC)