While all the computers are operated by a hand-held mouse used for pointing on the desktop, Laptops have a touchpad (or sometimes called trackpad) specifically for pointing and scrolling on the PC screen.
But, what if the touchpad scroll not working suddenly and stops working? A lot of times, the user starts complaining that their scroll pad is not responding. As it should do, and believe me, it is truly annoying for anyone in person.
How To Fix Touchpad Not Scrolling: Windows 11/10
If the touchpad scrolling on your laptop also does not seem to work for you. Then you might need to have a look at the methods mentioned below in this article. And, we hope with this you will be able to enable back your touchpad on your Windows 10.
Before getting started with the methods, make sure that the scrolling is enabled in the driver settings. To do this, go through the steps mentioned below:
- Click on the windows button. (Or press the Windows key on your keyboard)
- Search for the mouse settings by typing in the mouse in the search bar.
- Click on the mouse settings.
- Now, click on the Device settings option.
- Click settings.
- Find and click on scrolling in the sidebar.
- Check in the boxes for vertical and horizontal scrolling.
You must turn on that feature from the driver settings. Scrolling on your Windows 10 now should be enabled. And, once done with all the steps, check if it fixes your issue.
In any case, if enabling the touchpad from the driver setting does not work. Move on to the next step on this list.
Solutions To Fix Touchpad Scroll Not Scrolling
To fix the issue of touchpad scroll not working on Windows 10, you can try executing the following methods:
- Change Pointer scheme
- Update Touchpad Driver
- Roll Back Touchpad Driver Update
- Registry editor changes
- Reboot/Restart Your PC
- Change the Mouse Pointer
- Enable the Tow-finger Scrolling
- Repair or Uninstall Asus Smart Gesture App
Method 1 – Change Pointer scheme
To change the pointer scheme of your touchpad, follow the steps given below:
- Search for main.cpl by typing it in the windows search bar. After you press on the windows key.
- Now, from the search results, click on main.cpl
- Now, switch to the pointers tab.
- Then select a scheme you prefer.
- Click on apply
- Now click okay and close the window.
Method 2 – Update Touchpad Driver
If the scroller on your touchpad does not work, the touchpad driver not being up-to-date may be the reason behind that. Simply updating the touchpad driver on your Windows should be able to fix this problem.
To update the touchpad driver on your PC make sure to follow the given steps thoroughly.
- The first thing you need to do is open the device manager on your PC. Use Windows Key + X to open the option as shown below. And click Device Manager.
- Then, find the touchpad device option by going into mice and other pointing device options.
- Lastly, click on update driver to successfully update your desired driver.
Reinstalling a driver.
And now, for reinstalling a driver on your PC, you must uninstall the driver.
For this, do the following:
- Go to Device Manager.
- Uninstall the driver you desire by right-clicking on it and selecting uninstall.
After this, Windows will automatically try to reinstall the driver you just uninstalled.
Method 3 – Roll Back Touchpad Driver Update
A few times, updated drivers start causing unnecessary trouble for us. And to fix this, the best thing to do is to roll back the device driver back to the previous one, solving many fixes for us since it might happen that the freshly updated driver is not compatible with your device.
Now to roll back your touchpad driver update back to the previous one, follow the mentioned instructions:
- Open Device Manager.
- Now, locate the mouse driver or the touchpad driver.
- Right-click over it to see more options and select properties.
- Now in properties, go to the Driver tab.
- In the driver tab, select to roll back the device driver.
- Now, follow the instructions, and you are done.
Check if this fixes the issue on your system. And if not, please try doing the next step.
Method 4 – Registry editor changes
With the help of Registry Editor, you can easily make several changes to the keys/buttons or features on your keyboard and touchpad or mouse.
Firstly, make sure to make a registry backup file to avoid any corrupted registry entries if, by any chance, something goes wrong.
Once you have created a backup for your registry, you are all good to go.
Follow the steps below to make changes to your registry and enable scrolling.
- Open registry editor by searching for it in the search bar.
- In the registry editor,
- Carefully navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTP\TouchPadPS2 by pressing the arrow icon next to a folder.
- Find and double click on 2FingerTapPluginID and 3FingerTapPluginID keys on the right panel.
- After ensuring that the value data are empty, set the key given below to the correct values. (By simply copying and pasting it in the blank data field)
- MultiFingerTapFlags key to Value data 2 or 3
- 3FingerTapAction key to 4.
- 3FingerTapPluginActionID key to 0.
- 2FingerTapAction key to 2 to make a right-click to work. (or 4, if you want to make the left click work.)
Method 5 – Reboot/Restart Your PC
At times, when none of the other methods work for you, you may wanna have to restart/reboot your PC. So for rebooting your system:
- Click Windows key.
- Now, select the power button and select the restart option.
If restarting your PC does not work, try starting your pc in safe mode/safe boot. So to put your device in Safe Mode, obey the below steps:
- Open Run by searching it on the taskbar or execute the Windows key + R to open the Run application.
- Now enter msconfig in the input window and press enter.
- Now open the Boot Tab and under the Boot options, check the safe mode option and click OK to apply the changes.
Method 6 – Change the Mouse Pointer/Enable via Mouse Properties
As weird as this sounds, many users have solved the whole ‘touchpad/trackpad scrolling not working’ problem by simply Changing their mouse pointer.
To change your mouse pointer, follow the steps stated below:
- Go to the control panel.
- Then locate mouse settings by going into the device settings.
- After opening the mouse settings, open the pointers window.
- Select a new pointer and then click apply.
Make sure to check if the scrolling on your laptop works or not. And if it does not work, move on to the other method on this list.
Fix touchpad two-finger scroll not working
Method 7 – Enable the Two-finger Scrolling
- Firstly, press Windows + R to bring up the Run utility.
- To open the mouse properties section, enter in main.cpl.
- Go to device settings and then press on settings to open the properties for a mouse.
Make sure that the box for multi-finger gesture is filled by a checkmark if there is no checkmark in front of the box, simply press on it to enable it.
Lastly, close the window after closing the window and restart your PC to check if the method worked.
Method 8 – Repair or Uninstall Asus Smart Gesture App (If applicable)
If you have installed the Asus Smart Gesture App on your laptop, then uninstalling it can fix your issue in the case. A corrupted or incomplete setup download could have been the reason behind your touchpad not working issue. So, to uninstall it:
- Press the Windows key and search for Asus Smart Gesture App.
- Once you get it, click on the Uninstall option from the displayed menu.
- Now, follow the instructions, and the application will get uninstalled from your system. Once done, check if the issue got fixed.
Now, if you do not feel like uninstalling the Asus Smart Gesture App. The thing you can do is to repair it by reinstalling it on your system.
You can also reinstall it from here. Or to repair it, follow the below steps:
- Open Control Panel.
- Select to Uninstall/change the program option.
- Select the Asus Smart Gesture App.
- And now select to repair the application.
Why scrolling is not working on the laptop?
In most cases, the reason behind scrolling not working on your laptop is that the scrolling is not enabled in the device properties. So do try revisiting the settings of your device.
How do I enable touchpad scrolling in windows 10?
There are several methods that you can try out to fix the scrolling problem on your PC which includes:
Updating your touchpad driver.
Enable your touchpad.
Change your mouse pointer.
Rebooting your PC.
Making changes to the registry.
What to do when Touchpad is not scrolling?
Try configuring the mouse properties. And yes, try restarting your PC. Restarting the PC helps fix the issue in most cases.
How do I change the scroll speed on my laptop?
You can easily adjust the scroll speed (number of lines the trackpad/touchpad will scroll at a time) by going to mouse properties in the devices section of your settings.