Are you getting the remote procedure call failed error? Solve the remote procedure call failed error for Windows 7, 8 or 10 with this guide. We cover a wide spectrum of solutions. Often, you can only find two or three solutions, but we are bringing you 15 fixes. So, if you’ve tried other remote procedure call failed solutions but didn’t receive results, this can be the ultimate stop-to-execute error in Windows 10:
Solutions For The Remote Procedure Call Failed Error:
- Change Default Program
- Run The Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
- Windows Photo Viewer
- Start The Service – Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
- Use The Command Prompt
- Use System File Checker
- RppSs Registry Key Editor
- Disable Windows Search Services
- Delete Contents From LocalState Folder
- Set The Default DPI Scaling
- Scan The Computer For Malware And Virus
- Windows Updates
- Registry Cleaner And Third-Party Software
- Uninstall Some Additions
- Reset Or Reinstall Your Windows
How To Fix The Remote Procedure Call Failed Error In Windows 10
1. Change Default Program Method
Often, the reason behind the remote procedure call failed error is a default program. You might have a wrong, or corrupt program set to open specific files or photos. For this, you might have to resume to default programs offered by Windows:
- Go to the Control Panel on your Windows
- Click on ‘Programs’ and find Default Programs in the settings.
- Next, select ‘Set your default programs’ from the list.
- Now, find Windows Photo Viewer from the list and select it as default.
If you still get the ‘remote procedure call failed’ error, repeat this action. Do it for the programs that run any file or photo on your system.
2. Run The Troubleshooter Method
A good way to fix the remote procedure call failed error is if you run the troubleshooter. Windows 10 comes with a well-versed troubleshooter. It can help you diagnose any errors automatically and fix them.
- Open your Window’s Settings (Windows Key + I)
- Find ‘Troubleshoot’ settings in the Search Bar given.
- You can find an option to Run Troubleshoot or click on ‘Additional Troubleshooters.’
- Among the list, find Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter. Run it and follow the process.
This can fix the issue but remember, it is not a ‘solve-all’ solution. Troubleshooter fixes many basic errors.
3. Use Windows Photo Viewer Method
You can use this solution for remote procedure call failed error. Your default program might be set to Windows Photo Viewer, already. Still, you might get an error if you are trying to open certain photo files. For this, you can use this step to view the pictures and other files:
- Right-click on the File and select the ‘Open With’ option.
- Find Windows Photo Viewer from the list and click on it.
- You can also set it as a default for these file types.
- Then click OK and apply changes.
Try to open the file and see if it works. If it doesn’t, you can use the same solution to try different applications.
4. Start The Service (RPC) Set To Automatic
For some reason, some systems have Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator set to manual. It can happen for countless reasons, like selecting a different default program. You can go ahead and use the Services option to fix this issue:
- Press Windows Key + R to launch the RUN app.
- Type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter or click OK. It would be wise to run as Administrator.
- From the list, find ‘AppX Deployment Service.’ Find the ‘Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator,’ on the list
- Right-click on it, go to Properties, and select ‘Startup type.’ Set to automatic.
- Click on the ‘Start’ button right below it and wait for the process. Then apply changes, click OK.
This is also known as the Dcom server process launcher option. It helps you fix the Remote procedure call (RPC) settings. Restart the PC and see if it fixed the remote procedure call failed error.
5. Use The Command Prompt Method
This is another method to fix the remote procedure call failed error. You will have to put some time and effort into it. There is a series of codes or ‘command line’ available for you below.
First, launch Command Prompt. Run as Administrator and click yes on the Permission.
Now, follow these sequences. Use them one after another to complete the entire process:
- net start rpcss
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
You can type them as you go and it will fix the execute error. The computer might restart after finishing the process. But, that’s part of it.
6. Use System File Checker (SFC/Scannow) Method
Windows 10 also comes with three other diagnostic tools. System File Checker (SFC), DISM, and CHKDSK are these tools. SFC can be a great asset in fixing the remote procedure call failed error. It will scan your system for damaged components and repair them. This is a great way for you to fix the remote procedure call failed error.
- Go to your Start Menu (Windows Logo) and use the search bar to find Command Prompt.
- Right-click and Run As Admin.
- Type: ‘sfc/scannow’ in the command line and press Enter.
- Now, System File Checker will scan the files and fix them. The repair process might take some time.
- Once it finishes, you will have to restart the computer.
7. RppSs Registry Key (Registry Editor)
This is another fix for Windows 7 and Windows 10 users with remote procedure call errors in Windows 10. You will have to access the Registry Editor for this. So, make sure that you are careful with these steps. Any unwanted changes in the Registry Editor can lead to a lot of problems. With that in mind:
- Use the RUN program (Windows + R) and type regedit. press enter.
- Go to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
- Find ‘Start’ and double click on ‘DWORD’ and in the Value Data field, type 2.
- Save your changes, click OK.
Restart and it should fix the error. This is a great option to fix the remote procedure call failed SQL server error.
8. Disable Windows Search Service
Windows Search Service allows you to use the search bars in the OS. It is enabled by default but sometimes, it can cause problems. Maybe something changed the settings and led to DISM errors. This can lead to a Remote Procedure Call (RPC) error.
You can enable or disable the service by:
- Open the RUN program and type ‘services.msc’ and click OK.
- Find Windows Search from the options of the services.
- Right-click on it and access Properties.
- Under the General tab, find the Stop option. This will disable the service temporarily.
- It will have a DCOM server process launcher like the RPC Locator settings. You can also choose to manually or automatically start the service.
- Make sure to temporarily disable the service if you are accessing DISM services. Don’t mess with other services.
9. Deleting Contents From LocalState Folder
The LocalState Folder is like the temporary files folder. It has some settings that you can delete to remove customization. You will clear the cache and reset the settings that you can change later. It is a good idea to delete LocalState folder’s files if you get the error:
- Open the drive in which you installed the OS. Then follow: Username/Administrator/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.Windows.Photos_fefingrwg5/LocalState. Remember that the Windows.Photos_cw5n or whatever might vary with each user.
- Now select all the files in the Local State folder and delete them
- You might have to grant the admin permission.
- Now, go to RUN and type %temp% and it will open a folder. Select and delete all the files.
Restart your system and see if you are still getting the remote procedure call failed error.
10. Set The Default DPI Scaling
If the error still persists, it might be a DPI settings issue. This can happen to Windows 7 users the most. Follow these steps to fix the issue:
- Open your Control Panel and go to the appearance and personalization option.
- Find Display settings. Make sure to set the Display to be smaller, at 100%.
- Save all the changes.
Restart your system. You might have to do the same for Windows 10.
11. Scan Your System
If you’ve tried everything and it still doesn’t work then you need to try to check for Malware and Viruses. Those were some of the best solutions to fix your problem. If you still didn’t have any luck, it is certainly a malware or virus problem. So, what can you do about it?
The best thing for you to do is use the Microsoft Windows Defender. It is a built-in security program for Windows 10 users. For Windows 7 users, you can use Avast’s free program, Malwarebytes, and such.
12. Windows Update
The Remote Procedure Call Failed Error is more common in older operating systems. You can find it in Windows 7, 8 and earlier versions of Windows 10. Hence, it might be time for you to update your system.
Try to get the latest version of the Operating system for your computer. If you are already using Windows 10 then:
- Open the Control Panel and go to the Systems and Security option.
- There, you will find an Updates option. Go there and click on Check for Updates.
- Make sure that you’re mostly downloading essential updates. You can manually download other updates that can tweak your system’s performance.
- Let the process go through and restart your PC.
13. Registry Cleaner Or Other Software Issue
Are you using any third-party optimization tool or registry cleaner? Microsoft Windows hasn’t launched its Registry Cleaner and for a good reason too. Registry Editor is a crucial aspect of your operating system. Messing with it can change system values and this leads to many other errors.
Many third-party platforms and apps want you to believe that you need a registry cleaner. The truth is, you don’t. It won’t enhance your system either. So, just stick to the Registry editor solution above.
Stick to genuine and credible tools if you truly want to optimize your system. These things will help you with the Remote Procedure Call Failed Error.
14. Uninstall Some Additions
You can do system clean-up. Use disk defragmentation and other things. You might even have to reinstall or re-download the file you’re trying to work with the system.
The best you can do is uninstall any video codecs you installed or updated recently. This also applies to the PDF architect. Yes, the remote procedure call failed error is related to the display. It all starts with Video codecs, PDF architecture, and Display settings.
Give these a try and restart your PC.
If it still didn’t work. Try to reinstall some default programs and applications. This includes Windows Photo Viewer, PDF viewer, etc. to see if this fixes the issue.
15. Reset Or Reinstall The Windows
This is the end of the line and you’ve tried everything. As a last-ditch effort, you can try and transfer data to a new User Account. If that doesn’t solve the problem, you might have to try a System restore point. But, if you don’t have a system restore point, you will have to reset your PC.