Windows 10 is full of various issues, and the teredo adapter might be just another one in the array. If you’re experiencing issues with internet connectivity, give it a thought. Maybe it is a teredo adapter problem.
Don’t you worry! It’s not a big deal. Even though it sounds like a massive problem, it is easy to solve. Get ready to learn what a teredo adapter is and its role. You will get a thorough guide on how to find it, download / install it, or fix it.
In simple words, the teredo adapter helps in fixing the lack of IP addresses in IPv4. It works with IPv6 to help you get seemingly unlimited IP addresses. But as many devices work on IPv4, there needs to be communication between them. For this, you will need a teredo adapter.
It is not physical hardware that you have to invest in. You can fix it online without going anywhere. How? Let’s find out:
Ways To Fix Microsoft Teredo Tunnel Adapter Issues
- Check The System Files
- Re-Enable The Teredo Adapter
- Configuring The Registry
What is the Microsoft Teredo Tunnel Adapter?
Your internet connection on any computer (Windows computer) comes with IPv4 and IPv6. These two protocols help with networking by assigning your connection an IP address. An IP address is crucial if you want to gain access to anything online. It also works as your identity. In a way, it is your internet connection’s ID.
Now, IPv4 is an older counterpart that provides the original IP Address. Meanwhile, IPv6 uses encrypted security to provide a longer IP Address. IPv4 works inside your connection and works as an actual IP Address. IPv6 operates as a camouflage for your actual IP Address but is crucial for many purposes.
Either way, both help in reinforcing the security. They also help with stabilizing the connection for you. But, the communication between the IPv4 and IPv6 depends on an adapter. That’s where Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter comes into play.
Its work is to translate IP addresses between the two internet protocol versions. Hence, it is a very low-key adapter. Many people don’t know about it. But, the problem starts when it goes missing.
Imagine Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter stops working. Maybe it is corrupted or undergoes an error. You will soon begin having trouble with connectivity. There will be plenty of error messages bombarding you.
That’s when the problem starts getting worse. If your Microsoft Teredo Tunnelling Adapter is Missing, don’t worry. It’s time for you to learn how to fix the issue.
How To Install Teredo Adapter On Windows 10?
You will have to download the adapter from the internet. Make sure that you have an active internet connection. Yes, there might be some errors, but it should work fine. Otherwise, visit a nearby place with a separate internet and device and download driver there.
Here are the steps to download and install it on your PC:
- Press Windows + R key to open the run window.
- Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and press enter (or click OK).
- You can also search for the device manager in the search bar at the bottom.
- This will launch the device manager.
- Now, go to the Network Adapters section and expand it.
- See if Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter is there. Make sure to check on the ‘Show Hidden Devices’ in the view tab.
- If it’s missing, click on ‘Action’ and select ‘Add Legacy Hardware. Click on it.’
- You will arrive at ‘Add Hardware Wizard.’ Now, you will have to go through the instructions. For the most part, click next.
- Make sure to select ‘Search For And Install The Hardware Automatically (Recommended).’
- Next, you will get a confirmation page. It will ask you if specific hardware you want to install, confirm it and click next.
- After clicking next, you will arrive at different categories for hardware. Select Network Adapters from the options and click Next.
- Don’t be confused if it asks you to select the model and manufacturer. All you need to do is select Microsoft as a manufacturer. Then choose Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter as a model.
- Just click next and confirm the hardware. It will be ready to install.
- Finally, you can click on Finish.
Now go back and see if you can find the adapter among the Network Adapters. If it still isn’t there, click on ‘Scan For Hardware Changes.’ You should have the adapter by now.
Don’t Forget The Windows Update.
Are you still having an issue with the teredo adapter? You’ve tried ‘to show hidden devices in the device manager, but it’s still not showing. Perhaps it is a Windows 10 update problem. It’s entirely possible that you have an older version.
So, before doing anything else, make sure to check for updates and install them. Follow these steps:
- Click on the Start Menu (Windows Logo) and search for settings. You can also find settings in the top corner. Press Windows + I if you want a shortcut.
- This will open the settings. Now, find ‘Update and Security.’
- There, you will find a Windows Update field. Click on it. You will find a ‘Check For Updates’ button on the page.
- It will start manually checking for updates. You can install them.
Sometimes the Windows Update Center also suggests other updates. These are not the ‘necessary’ updates but relevant. You can also install these to see if you had any change in performance and other aspects.
Once you download the updates, you can follow the instructions further. Go ahead and install them and restart your computer.
Ways To Fix Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter Problem
This is the list of fixes you can try on the driver and the entire Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter problem. As long as you follow these instructions, you won’t get into any trouble. Are you ready? Let’s begin:
1. Check The System Files
Your system files may corrupt for countless reasons. Even if you take the most careful measures, it might still happen. It’s better to learn how you can recover from these issues. This also goes for your teredo tunneling. The best way to fix it is through a command prompt.
Let’s find out how:
- First, press Windows Logo Key + X to open a Power User Menu. It is a series of options, but select Command Prompt.
- You can also press Windows + R and type cmd to run a command prompt. If not, then use the search bar to find and launch the command prompt. Any of these methods work fine.
- Make sure to run as administrator to gain complete access to the commands you will use.
- Type the following command ‘sfc/scannow’ in the command prompt window and press enter.
This will begin a system check for the system files. You will get insights on whether the files are fine or not. This process will automatically fix the problems, as well.
Once done, you can restart the PC and check the adapter to see if it is working or not. If not, you can try the other solutions.
2. Re-Enable The Teredo Adapter With Command Prompt
If you’re still having problems with the teredo adapter, there are a few more commands. Maybe the teredo adapter got disabled by some command. These can help you fix some issues and enable:
- Follow the above-given steps to run the Command prompt once again. If you don’t remember, press Windows + R and type cmd, then run as an administrator.
- You can also press CTRL + SHIFT + Enter to run as admin.
- A user account warning will show up because you are accessing it as admin. Simply click yes and move ahead.
- This is where your array of commands will begin.
- Type: ‘netsh interface teredo set state disables’ in the command prompt window.
- After doing so, reboot your computer once.
- Re-run the command prompt as admin.
- Type the following command ‘netsh interface Teredo set state type=default.’
Some people also use ‘netsh interface teredo set state disable’ after rebooting the computer. There’s no need for you to do that.
This step will re-enable the adapter. You can type devmgmt.msc and press enter. This will run the device manager for you.
In the device manager, you can go to the Network Adapter and expand it. Then check if you can find the teredo tunneling adapter there. See if this solves the problem, as well.
If it still didn’t solve the problem, you have another solution waiting for you.
3. Configuring Your Registry
Windows Registry is responsible for almost everything working on your PC. Whether you have Windows 10, Windows 7, or something else, it is crucial. But sometimes, the settings change for some reason.
If you still didn’t have any luck fixing the teredo adapter problem, it’s time to take it to the next level. Here is everything you can do. Remember, this should be the last resort.
Handling a system registry requires better control and knowledge. Let’s take a look:
- Press the Windows Logo Key + R to pop up the Run window.
- Type cmd and press CTRL + Shift + Enter to launch the command prompt.
- Once again, the user account warning will pop up. Click yes and continue.
- Type the following command: ‘reg query HKL\System\CurrentControlSe\Service\iphlpsv\TeredoCheck
- Some lines will appear. See if there is a ‘Type EG+DWORD 0x4 Line.’ If it’s missing, time to type something else.
- Type: ‘reg query HKL\System\CurrentControlSe\Service\TcpIp\Parameters’
- Find ‘Disabled Components EGWORD 0x’ in the line. See if the value is 0x0 or not. If it isn’t, the adapter is disabled.
- Now you have to enable it. Type the following commands: ‘addHKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TcpIP6\Parameters\vDisabledComponents\REGDWORD/d 0x0.
- Press Enter.
- Once you reset the value, launch the device manager. Go to Network Adapter and see hidden devices. Check if you can find the teredo adapter.
Remember, these will set teredo client status and either disable or enable them. Once you get this done, restart the PC, and you should be good to go. Your driver should be enabled by now.
You can also give the registry editor a try and find disabled components there. But that could change the value of the registry, and that’s not a good idea. To avoid any further changes to your Window, we introduced these fixes.
The Bottom Line
Remember, the server has nothing to do with the disabled components or the adapter. If you still didn’t find the fixes helpful, here is a link to some community posts, like on Reddit, to help you out.
In short, the Microsoft Teredo Tunnel Adapter is essential for your account to work with the internet protocol. If you didn’t find apt help, you could always contact support.