Are you a gamer? Have you ever been in an in-game position where you saw something really interesting and wanted to share it with your fellow gamer friends? Or have you ever performed so well that you wanted to flex it? A screenshot can also be a piece of very handy evidence when you report a bug or a crash to the game developer.
This is why Steam enables its users to take screenshots and even lets them share them with their friends on Steam social. If you are an ardent video-gaming enthusiast, you will know what Steam is.
Steam is an online video game shopping platform that lets account-holders purchase games for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. If you are new to Steam and are looking to take a screenshot of a game frame, you might have a few questions.
This article is dedicated to helping readers, who love playing games, take screenshots and change the Steam Screenshots folder.
How To Take Screenshots In Steam Games
If you wish to take a screenshot of the games you own on Steam, you will have to launch the application through the Steam Client.
- Open the Steam application.
- Launch the game through the Steam Client.
- Once the game loads and you reach the frame that you wish to take a screenshot of, press the F12 key.
- When the screenshot is taken, you will receive an acknowledgment that it has been taken in the bottom right corner of your application screen.
- You will be able to see the screenshot(s) in your Steam app window in the Post-Game Summary section. You can also see your achievements if any.
- You can also find your screenshot in the Screenshots section if you scroll down.
How To Take Screenshots In Steam Games On Windows 10
The F12 key is the key to taking a screenshot of your Steam game’s gameplay on the Windows 10 Operating System (OS). The application has to be played through Steam for this feature to be available. This feature doesn’t work for Non-Steam games.
How To Take Screenshots In Steam Games On Mac
The steps to take screenshots of a Steam game on MacOS are not very different from that on windows. You just have to
- Open the game.
- Wait for the right frame.
- Press the Fn key and while holding it, tap F12.
How to access and use the Steam screenshot folder on Windows 10?
The Screenshots you take in your game with the Steam client are saved in a folder on your hard drive so that they can be accessed without launching the Steam application. This is how you locate the Steam screenshots saved on your drive.
- Access the Steam application.
- In the bar of menus on the top, click on View menu.
- From the list of options, Select Screenshots. The Screenshot Uploader window opens.
- You will see the screenshots you had taken previously and a few menus. From this, you have to click on the Show on Disk button.
- This will trigger the Steam Screenshot folder to open.
This is the location on your drive where your saved screen captures are located, by default, in case you want to view them. If you do not know what your Steam ID is, follow this method to find it.
- Open Steam.
- Click on the View menu on the topmost bar.
- From the list, choose Settings.
- In the Settings window’s Interface category, check the checkbox to the left of Display Web Address Bars when available. For old-timers, this used to be Display Steam URL address when available.
- Click Ok. The settings window closes.
- In the top right corner of the window, you will see the name of your profile with a small downward-facing arrow near it. Click on the arrow, and a dropdown menu falls.
- From the dropdown menu, select Account details.
- In the window that opens, you will be able to see your Steam profile details, with it, your Steam ID.
The long number you see on your screen is your Steam ID. Use this to locate your screen captures.
Where is the Steam Screenshot Folder In Your Computer?
By default, the Steam screenshot folder is located at Local Disk C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\userdata\<YOUR STEAM ID>\760\remote\<APP ID>\screenshots, by default.
How to Access Steam Screenshot Folder and Change Its Location
A Steam user can access the Steam screenshots folder in two ways. They can either navigate to the Screenshot folder through the Steam Screenshots Manager, or they can directly go there with the file explorer.
Accessing your Steam Screenshots via the Steam Screenshot Manager
User can see their saved screen captures with the Screenshot Manager that came with the client when you installed Steam.
- Open Steam and click View menu on the menu bar.
- Click on Screenshots from the dropdown menu.
- The Screenshot Manager window opens. From this, you have to click on the Show on Disk button.
- Steam will open the file’s location.
Access the Screenshot Folder on your Hard Disk Directly
Users can also go to the screenshot folder on their computer directly. This can be done using the file explorer.
- Open the File Explorer on your computer.
- Click on the Local Disk C.
- From this location, enter these folders one by one in the given order.
Program Files(x86) > Steam > userdata > Account ID number > 760 > remote
Once you have reached this folder, you will see a number of folders with numeric names. These numbers are the IDs for the games your tool screen captures in.
- Open the folders to find out which game they belong to. Each folder has a folder named Screenshots, each of which has the saved screenshots and the thumbnail versions of them in them.
Note: Your Steam folder may or may not be in the location mentioned above. The users should know where they installed the Steam application on their system. If you can not locate the install location, you can find it by right-clicking on the Steam icon on the desktop screen and selecting Open File location.
How to Change the Steam Screenshot Folder Location
You may want to change the folder location where Steam’s screenshots are saved. If you follow these steps, you might be able to remove a lot of clutter from a folder and free up some space on your Local disk storage unit. These are the steps to change the save place of Screenshots you take while playing games on Steam.
- Open Steam > View menu > Settings.
- In the In-Game category, Press the Screenshot Folder button.
- Select the place where you want to save your Steam’s gaming screenshots. Once finished, click on the Select button.
How Do I Find Screenshots from Steam on Windows 10?
You can find the screenshots that you took while playing/gaming through the Screenshot Manager on Steam or through Explorer on your Windows PC. They are available in the Steam Screenshot folder, which can be changed according to the User’s wishes.