A majority of the time, there are several reasons why they encounter the steam corrupt disk error. While downloading a game on your system, or while updating the same, users often complain about the stream corrupt disk error on Windows.
This corrupt disk error is also commonly seen when there is an interruption of the downloading process. Moreover, a power outage can also be one of the main problems for the same.
What Causes Steam Corrupt Disk Error
As mentioned above, there could be several reasons why this problem has arisen. Regardless of the updates, these types of errors are frequently seen by the users. Some of the major reasons for this include downloading corrupt files.
While downloading a game, the process might be hindered either by a power outage or a BSOD. If the interruption in the downloading process is caused by either of these, that would mean the file has already gone corrupt.
If there is such a disruption, it is necessary for the user to reset the files. For that, the file should also be downloaded again. Another reason why users face the steam corrupt disk error is due to the hard drive problems.
It is integral to check the errors within the hard drive itself, to rule them out as a cause. Sometimes the default setting of the hard drive is to turn off if there is no activity for a while. This setting is generally to save power, however, if it has been turned off, there is a possibility of the corrupt disk error surfacing again.
Solutions To Fix Steam Corrupt Disk Error
- Reinstall the Steam
- Rename the Downloading Folder
- Move Steam Installation Files
- Run Steam as an Administrator
- Delete the Active Download folder
- Clear Download Cache
- Repair the Steam Library folder
- Verify Integrity of Game Files
- Change Steam Download Region
- Repair Hard Disk Drive
- Update Graphics Card Drive
1. Reinstall Steam
Reinstalling the steam client is one of the best and easiest ways to fix the issue of steam corrupt disk error. You can follow these steps in order to reinstall the program from your system.
Before you uninstall, you will have to make sure that the files in the system of the game or the steam should all be backed up. If the backup has been stored in a particular folder, you will be able to retrieve it while reinstalling.
- Search Control Panel in the Windows search and click on it.
- Then click on the Programs and Features.
- Locate Steam which is under the programs.
- Click on Steam and then select Uninstall.
- You will have to reboot the system after you uninstall it.
- After the computer has restarted, you can visit the official website and reinstall Steam.
- Launch the application after the installation and then you will be able to access the previous game data as well.
In case you are unable to find the Steamapps folder, you can also try retrieving it from the drive.
2. Rename the Downloading Folder
Another way of fixing the steam corrupt disk error in the system is by renaming the downloading folder. This technique might seem rather easy and non-conventional. However, just be renaming the folder, sometimes fixes the entire problem.
- You will have to open the installation folder of Steam, the address for the same is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam.
- You will have to locate the folder which is named “Steamapps” and open it.
- After you open the file, right-click on the folder named “downloading”, and click on Rename. You can rename the file to anything you like.
- After this process is completed, you will have to reopen Steam and carry on with the initial installation process.
A majority of the time, the installation process goes smoothly as soon as the downloading folder has been renamed. The corrupt disk error will no longer appear on your screen.
3. Move Steam Installation Files
There are several locations on the computer that Steam allows applications to be stored. Moreover, the different drives in the system itself can be corrupt. This is why moving the installation files might fix the corrupt disk error.
You can try this method by following these steps
- Open the Steam Client.
- Once you have opened the steam client and locate the Steam tab, upper left.
- From the drop-down menu there, you can click on the settings.
- There is a left pane in the window, locate Downloads and click on it
- Under the Content Libraries, click on the Steam Library Folders tab which is under the right pane.
- Once the new window opens, you can click on the plus (+) tab.
- Click on the option, New Folder, and create a folder name.
- You can then click on OK to apply the changes.
This method is much more effective if the game is reinstalled. You will have to select the steam library folder that you created earlier. This will directly save the downloads in that folder.
After this process, you can check whether the steam corrupt disk error on Windows 10 is present or not.
4. Run Steam as an Administrator
Corrupt disk errors can be either while downloading or updating the game. One of the options to address this problem is by running the application as an Administrator. Additionally, with the help of Admin access, several changes can be made to the application.
To run Steam as an Administrator, you will have to follow these steps
- Locate the Steam shortcut on the desktop and right-click on it.
- From the drop-down menu, click on properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab, from the properties window.
- Click on “Run this program in compatibility mode for”
- After that, you can click on Run the program as an administrator which is under Settings.
- You can click on Apply and OK.
Running an application as an Administrator avoids several issues, be it crashes or corrupt disks. After going through this process you can try and check the Steam Corrupt Disk error is still occurring.
5. Delete The Active Download Folder
Apart from renaming the download folder, you can also try deleting it. Sometimes the corrupt disk stems from a specific game. Hence navigate through the steam folder and check if it belongs to the game causing the problem.
In order to detect the folder, you can go through these steps
- Click on File Explorer and click on the Program Files.
- You can then click on Steam from that folder.
- It will then lead you to the Steam apps, you will have to navigate your way through Downloading.
- Since steam stores all the games, each game has a unique number. You can open the folder which has a downloading folder along with its unique number.
- If you are able to locate the game folder which is causing the issue, you can delete the folder.
- If your steam is still running in the background, restart it.
If this method is not working, you can also try disabling a firewall or antivirus that is in the system. Instead of directly moving to advanced troubleshooting, it is important to disable the anti-virus to check whether that’s the reason for the corrupt disk.
However, if this does not work, you can try advanced troubleshooting which will definitely address the problem. As mentioned above, deleting the game file can also help in addressing the issue of corrupt disk errors.
There is a high possibility of you downloading the corrupt fame file, so if you delete the game folder, it may resolve the problem. Moreover, after deleting the folder, restarting the Steam client is important to check whether or not the issue has been resolved.
6. Clear Download Cache
This method is similar to renaming the download files. However, in this method, you will have to delete the cache which will clear the downloading process. There will be no interruption with regard to downloading and updating if the cache has been deleted.
Even though it is recommended to rename the downloading folder, you can clear the cache by following these steps
- Locate the Steam client and double-click it.
- The client’s screen will have a menu, select Steam from the option.
- Click on Settings.
- Locate the Downloads tab and scroll down to the option “Clear Download Cache”
- You will have to click on Confirm in the next window.
- You can then click on Exit.
After you delete all the unnecessary download cache and exit the steam client, you will have to relaunch it and relaunch the download as well. This helps in checking whether the corrupt disk error is still available or not.
7. Repair the Steam Library Folder
Within Steam itself, there is an option of repairing the library folder. You can easily use this method to address the issue of the corrupt disk.
- Launch Steam
- Click on Settings
- Select the Downloads tab under the settings
- Under the option of Content Libraries, select Steam Library Folders
- You can right-click on the Steam Library Folder and then click on Repair Library Folder
This method allows Steam to scan through all the folders and repair the same. If there is any problem within the folder or application, repairing the steam library folder resolves the corrupt disk error.
Sometimes there are several glitches or bugs that are present within the steam. Repairing the steam library folder helps in fixing the issue.
8. Verify Integrity of Game Files
When the games have already been downloaded and installed, they do not run sometimes. This is mainly because the user has downloaded a damaged or corrupted file.
When the file is corrupt, it is most likely that the PC will also face several issues.
In order to make sure that the installed games are not corrupt or damaged, the user can verify the integrity of the game files. By doing so, you can make sure that all the games are in working condition and you will not be facing a corrupt disk error.
You can verify the integrity of game files by following these steps
- Open the Steam library.
- Select the game or the application that is not working.
- Right-click on it and select Properties from the drop-down menu.
- Then select “Local files”
- Select Verify integrity of game files, from the Local Files menu.
This method helps in automatically identifying any game file that is not functioning or is damaged and corrupt. Moreover, with the help of this method, the user need not try and check each and every game.
To avoid that long process, the user can verify the integrity of game files, which will then check whether or not all the files are functioning. Additionally, if there are any issues, it finds and fixed them.
9. Change Steam Download Region
This method is similar to moving steam installation files. However, changing the download region will help you fix the corrupt disk error. There are several issues pertaining to the region and where it is connected.
Changing the download region to the one that is closest to the user’s location helps in fixing the corrupt disk error. The Steam download region can be changed with a few simple steps.
- Launch the Steam client
- If you have not logged in to your account, you can do so
- At the top left corner of the screen, there is a tab, named Steam. You will have to click on it
- Select Settings from the menu
- Click on Download Region from the Settings Window
- You will have to choose the correct country in the Download region
- Click OK in order to apply the changes
It is necessary for you to update the download region with the country or the location that is closest to the computer. The download region sometimes may allow the file to get damaged or corrupt during the installation process.
Hence, if the region has changed, there may be a chance that a corrupt disk error is resolved.
10. Repair Hard Disk Drive
There are cases wherein the drive is corrupted. Hence during those times, whenever the game file is downloaded and installed, the file goes corrupt as well. This results in the disk corrupt error which appears on Steam.
By repairing the hard disk drive, you can check whether the issue lies within the game files or the drive where it is being stored. These are the steps you need to follow in order to repair the hard disk drive
- To open Windows Explorer, Press on E and the Windows key
- Select “This PC” which is available on the left pane
- After that, right-click on Drive C, which is on the right pane
- Select Properties from the drop-down menu
- Click on the Tools tab from the Properties window
- Select the Check tab under the Error-checking
- Click on Scan Drive
While going through this process, in the end, you might come across the message scanning the drive is not necessary.
Regardless of that prompt message, you will have to click on Scan Drive. After the drive has been scanned, issues will be automatically fixed.
11. Update Graphics card driver
Outdated graphics card drivers can also be one of the causes of corrupt disk errors. Since the graphics card driver is not updated and does not have the latest version, the file or the disk becomes corrupt.
To make sure theta the graphics card driver is not the reason for this issue, it is better to update it time and again.
- To open the run dialogue box, press on R+Windows key
- Type devmgmt.msc on the Run dialogue box
- Click on the Display Adapters option, from the Device Manager
- Select the Graphics card driver and then click on Update driver
- Then select Search Automatically for Drivers
- Click on Exit if the graphics card drivers are updated
This method allows the system to scan for the updates required for the graphics card driver. After it has been scanned, you can also check whether there is still an error on Windows.
Even though the steam corrupt disk error on Windows 10 may be frustrating especially if it is something recurring. With the help of these methods, you will easily be able to address the issue and fix it as well.
This issue may surface while updating Steam. If the update is also being interrupted, there is a high possibility of the issue being present in the disk itself. You will also have to make sure that there is enough space on the hard drive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Does Steam Say Corrupt Download?
While downloading the Steam game, either through a power outage or BSOD, the process might get interrupted. Hence, even if the file is downloaded and installed in the system, it is already damaged.
Due to this run, the game cannot run in the system anymore. During those times, Steam notifies the user that the downloaded game or file is corrupt.
What Does A Corrupt Disk Mean?
When certain segments of the file are not accessible, or the system is unable to complete the data processing, the file becomes corrupt. Since the file no longer has all the necessary data to run, it is regarded as a corrupt disk.
Why Do My Steam Games Keep Getting Corrupted?
There could be several reasons why steam games are corrupted. However, if it is something that happens on a regular basis, it is very likely that the firewall or the anti-virus is blocking the file.
Apart from that, the outdated drive or steam client can also be some of the reasons why the games keep getting corrupted.
Can You Fix A Corrupted Hard Disk?
Bad sectors or file system errors can be one of the reasons why hard-drives get corrupted. The command CHKDSK in the Command Prompt might help fix the corrupted hard drive.