Did you come across the error where Skyrim isn’t working with your keyboard? For some reason, the keyboard stopped working or responding once you launched the game. This is a common issue for Windows PC users. But don’t you worry!
This is a complete guide to help you diagnose, research the cause, and solve the Skyrim keyboard not working issue. We have conducted extensive research to bring you all the practical solutions.
The Reasons For the Skyrim Keyboard Not Working Issue
If you’re here, you already know about the game’s popularity. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim has been rampaging as one of the most successful games of all time. Bethesda sure knows how to make popular games with brilliant graphics and actions.
The game is available for various consoles and platforms. It is even available on Nintendo Switch, Windows, Xbox, and PS4. So, there shouldn’t have been any problem launching it and playing it on Windows.
But there’s a notorious ‘keyboard not working’ issue for PC users. There can be many reasons for it. Here are some of them:
- Skyrim didn’t install correctly. It might have corrupted files or settings.
- Some modes are interfering with the use of the Keyboard.
- The in-game overlays are hindering the keyboard’s performance.
- The Launcher (like Steam Launcher) was unable to calibrate the Keyboard for the game. Errors on the launcher’s end could be the problem.
- Some other hardware, or external device, like the mouse, is interfering with the Keyboard.
- The Keyboard drivers are outdated and causing incompatibility with the games.
- If you’ve used a gamepad before, your PC might have the settings changed to that.
- Some app is interfering with the game and using your keyboard. In some cases, you could see the Skyrim loading but can’t use the keyboard because other apps are selected. This also goes if somehow desktop is selected (You pressed the Windows Key or something).
- The language sync between the keyboard, game, and your Windows PC can lead to issues, as well.
Now that you know the reasons, you can work towards fixing each of these.
Quick Fixes For Problems Related To Keyboard Not Working In Skyrim
This is the list of quick fixes and diagnoses that you can use. These solutions aren’t related to the entire keyboard not working. It covers a small segment of the keyboard not working issue. For example, the CTRL key is not working and such. So, let’s take a look at these associated problems:
1. Both Mouse And Keyboard Aren’t Working
This issue occurs mainly when you have used a controller or a gamepad before. Windows 10 supports the Xbox controller, which could be the reason for the problem.
You can solve this problem by unplugging the controller. If there’s a driver, you can uninstall it. Reconnect Keyboard and Mouse to overwrite the settings. Of course, disabling in-game overlays works, as well.
2. The CTRL Key Is Not Working In Skyrim
The issue isn’t limited to CTRL keys but could expand to other keys. If you didn’t have any physical damage or liquid spill problem, the mods could be the reason.
In simple words, the mods that you are using might be hindering some keys from working. Your keyboard is having trouble communicating with the mods. So, you can try to remove the mods. Make sure that you don’t have any controller attached, either.
3. The ‘Enable Player Controls’ Issue
There’s a setting in Skyrim that allows you to enable the controls to the players. It also allows you to change the controller type. You will find a solution to this issue in the article.
4. The Keyboard Isn’t Working On Special Edition
Skyrim’s Special Edition is one of the leading versions where you face the problem. The keyboard not working issue is typical on this version. You might have to invest in an Xbox controller to get rid of this issue. But you can also try the solutions below.
5. Keyboard Not Working With The Controller
On most games and PCs, you can use a controller and keyboard together. The controller will work with the game, while the keyboard will work with other PC functions. But, Skyrim can have an issue where the keyboard won’t work with the controller and vice-versa.
The only way to solve this is by removing one of the two in most cases.
6. Mouse Clicks Not Working
The issue isn’t directly related to Keyboard, but worth a mention as a bonus. If your mouse isn’t working, try to disconnect and reconnect it. You can also restart the PC. Ensure that the controller or joystick isn’t connected while using the mouse.
Solutions For Keyboard Not Working In Skyrim
- The Keyboard Diagnosis
- Try A System Restart
- Reinstall The Game
- Remove The Mods
- Disable The In-Game Overlays
- Check For External Input Devices
- Edit The Skyrim Preference File
- The Language Settings Solution
- Check For The Third-Party Interference
- Contact The Support
Solutions For Keyboard Not Working In Skyrim
1. The Keyboard Diagnosis
Before we move to the severe troubleshooting options, check the keyboard:
- Use a keyboard testing tool or open a notepad and press each key to see if it is working. Make sure to check all the computer buttons for fault.
- Check for any physical damage or spill damage. These are the leading causes for keyboards not working.
- Check other apps and games to see if Keyboard is working there.
If everything is fine so far, the problem isn’t in your keyboard, physically.
2. Try A System Restart
Restarting the PC often solves a lot of issues for some reason. The problem could be in the device communication. You can solve it by restarting the PC. Make sure to exit Steam, disconnect, and toggle Wi-fi off. Remove the controller, keyboard, and all other hardware.
- Go to the power options and shut down your PC.
- After that, reconnect the keyboard and other hardware, then boot it up.
- Turn the Bluetooth off if you’re using a Bluetooth keyboard before rebooting.
- Relaunch Steam and Skyrim. Check if this solves the issue.
3. Reinstall The Game
This is an optional step and depends on your priorities. If you don’t want to go through reinstallation, you can try other solutions first. But if nothing works, you can return to this step and give it a try.
Uninstalling and reinstalling Skyrim can solve corrupted game files. Often, these corrupted files are responsible for the issues. This includes the keyboard not working issue in Skyrim. So, follow these steps:
- Launch the Run app (Windows + R key on the Keyboard). Type ‘Appwiz.cpl’ and hit enter. This will open the Apps window. You can try to search for it as well, in the bottom-left search box, next to the Start Menu.
- Find the Skyrim Game on the list. If it is there, click on Uninstall.
- Once uninstalled, make sure to navigate to any remaining folder in the directory. The directory will be where you installed the game. Delete the installation folders and any leftover files.
- Now, visit Bethesda’s official website to download Skyrim’s latest version.
- Go through with the installation process and relaunch the game. See if this fixes the issue.
If you’re using Steam, you will have to go to the Library to delete the game. Then exit Steam and relaunch it. In some cases, you might have to reinstall Steam if removing Skyrim doesn’t work.
4. Remove The Mods
Indeed, the mods help you in many ways, but they are official. You can use mods to enhance the graphics, add some features, or make the game fun. But, these are all brought to you by the developers. These are people like you that have developed some fun features and aspects. So, these aren’t perfect or company-tested.
As a result, the mods can hinder a game’s performance. In some cases, it can corrupt the game files. Of course, preventing the keyboard from working can be one of the byproducts.
Did you install any mod recently? If the keyboard started acting up after installing the mods, removing them is worth a try:
- Launch the mods or mod launcher. If you use a Skyrim launcher to use the mods, make sure to do that. In simple words, access the Menu where you have all the mods.
- You can find it in the Main Menu of the Skyrim game if you don’t use any third-party mod launcher.
- In the menu, you will see the Mods option, select it and find the list of installed mods. Go ahead and select the ‘Delete’ option to uninstall and delete any mod on your game. Make sure to repeat it if you have more than one mod.
You can do it one by one to check which mod was responsible for the keyboard not working. But you can also delete all mods if you don’t use them.
5. Disable The In-Game Steam Overlay
Steam comes with brilliant features of enabling in-game overlay. These can help you enhance the gaming experience. But you can also end up running into a problem like the one where the keyboard isn’t working. So, it would be wiser to disable the overlays. This solution works mainly for Steam users. That’s where you will find the overlays settings:
- Go ahead and open Steam client. In the menu bar (top-left corner), there will be a ‘Steam’ option. Click on it. This will open another menu with options. Select Steam.
- Next, go to the left panel and find the ‘In-Game’ Tab in the settings. Select it and now go ahead and uncheck ‘Enable Steam Community While In-Game.’
- This option will disable the Steam overlays. They could hinder the performance, after all. You can choose the games you want to disable it for.
- Remember that these settings primarily work to help the Steam community. They will post the performance, among other things. So, you don’t necessarily need it.
Go ahead and relaunch the game (Skyrim). See if the Keyboard issue is fixed or not.
6. Check For External Input Devices
An input device is one you use to provide input to the PC. Your mouse and keyboard are input devices. Like an Xbox controller or gamepad, a game controller is also an input device.
Did you recently connect any extra input device? If you have done any other than the mouse or keyboard, you will face the issue. Maybe the PC is stuck to recognizing a different input device. Perhaps it changes when you launch Skyrim.
- The first step will be to check the Task Bar. In the right corner, check for any new device that has been attached. You will find it there.
- Press Windows Key + I to launch the Settings on your Windows 10 PC. You will see the ‘Devices’ option. Click on it. In the left panel, you will see options for various categories like the pen, typing, USB, mouse, and so on. Check them out and see if you have any unwanted devices connected. You can disconnect, delete, or remove them from the list.
- Another option is to go to the Device Manager and uninstall any driver you might not need.
- Check the Bluetooth and Wifi connectivity options, as well. See if there are any devices connected to either of these. If you don’t need these devices, disconnect them.
7. Edit The Skyrim Preference File
The previous solution also covers any external controller you might have used. If you’re using the external controller purposely, make sure that Skyrim supports both. If it can only support one input device, you will inevitably run into problems.
If you have removed the controller but the problem persists, you might have to edit a file. Sometimes, the changes in the games won’t take place, regardless of how many times you do it. That’s where editing the SkyrimPrefs.Ini file will help you out:
- First, go to the directory where you have installed Skyrim. If you use Steam, open the library, right-click on it and select properties, then go to the Local Files tab. There, you will find an option to open the local directory.
- If you have Skyrim directly installed on your PC, navigate to the folder where you have the game files. Use the search bar in the top-right corner and type: SkyrimPrefs.ini.
- Once you find it, right-click and select ‘Open With.’ Choose the Notepad app from the list. It is the default built-in notepad, not any other third-party notepad.
- Once the file opens, press CTRL + F to launch the Find command in the Notepad. Type: BGamepadEnable. Press Enter and see if you find it.
- If there’s a ‘BGamepadEnable = 1,’ then replace the 1 with 0. After that, save the changes and close the file.
- Make sure to reboot the system and launch the game. See if this fixes the issue.
8. The Language Settings Solution
This might come as a surprise, but the language settings play a massive role. It is the same as using the correct date & time settings. If you don’t have the correct language settings chosen to work, you will run into errors. This goes for when the language settings don’t match with the keyboard. But you can still make the changes:
- Launch the Run program again ( Press Windows + R key) and type: Intl.Cpl. Hit enter.
- This will open a region option and settings for you. At the top, you will see an option to select the language. Make sure to choose the language that works with the keyboard and mouse. You can find the recommended settings. They work the best.
- Once selected, make sure to click on the Apply button. Then click OK to save the changes.
- Launch Skyrim and see if this fixes the issue.
9. Check For The Third-Party Interference
If nothing has worked so far, check if some program, or extension, is hindering your keyboard. It could be some app using the keyboard when you launch Skyrim. Mostly, it happens with Mods or Steam. But if they are not the culprits, you might want to close different applications.
Close the applications until you find a culprit if there is one. If you use any third-party modification or maintenance tool, remove it. Check if an anti-virus or firewall isn’t causing the issue.
You can try using a Clean Boot on your system and find the issue.
10. Contact The Support
If none of the solutions worked for you, there isn’t much you can do. You might have to either contact Bethesda support or the keyboard’s support. They should be able to help.
If it doesn’t pan out for you, you can also try resetting the entire Windows. It is a desperate measure but works sometimes.
Conclusion – Fix Keyboard Not Working On Skyrim Windows
We have tried to bring you the ten best solutions under a single guide. Hopefully, these will help you solve the issue. You can try these for other games, as well.
Skyrim is a great game that keeps getting better. So, we hope you found a way to make your keyboard work. Go ahead and enjoy one of the most fun-filled games of the century.
FAQs – Fix Keyboard Not Working Issue On Skyrim Game
How Do I Move My Location In Skyrim
You will have to use the Center On Cell command to move to the location. It will also depend on the game mode that you’re using. Go ahead and type COC, then the ID, and hit enter. The ID will be for the location.
How Do I Get The Key To Honeyside In Riften?
You will have to approach Jarl and do quests handed out by him. Eventually, you will have to choose the options that will ask how you can become a Thane. This will open a range of quests for you to fulfill and become the thane. Once you become the Thane, you will get the key to Honeyside, the house you will own.
Can You Own All 3 Hearthfire Homes?
Yes. You can go ahead and own all three Hearthfire Homes. But remember that you can buy a maximum of three properties in the latest versions. You will have many options in different lands to purchase the properties. So, choose wisely.
What’s The Biggest House You Can Get In Skyrim?
Proudspire is famous as the largest house you will find in the game. There is plenty of rooms and apt space for large families and teams. You will find it in the Capital City, near the market. Of course, you will have to fulfill some quests before buying it.