Are you looking for an easy guide on how to share screens on facetime? This is the guide you need. It will help you share screens on iPad, iPhone, and even the MacBook.
That’s right! You will also get other answers or workarounds for older devices. So, if you’re looking for more answers than what Apple Support provides, you have come to the right place.
We keep things simple and easy to follow for you. So, let’s start with the fundamental question of all:
This would’ve been one of the most popular questions. At least before the release of iOS and iPadOS 15.1 and macOS Monterey. Thankfully, with the latest operating systems, it has become more accessible.
The short answer is yes. You can share your screen on Facetime now with the latest updates. You have nothing to worry about if you have the latest iOS, iPad, and macOS operating systems.
But, every device will need to have this update. Let’s say that you have this version, but your friend has an older version. What can you do then? Facetime won’t allow you to share screens due to incompatibility issues.
Let’s clear out some of your misconceptions. Think of this as a quick highlight on what Screen Sharing allows Facetime users so far. These features and accessibilities can change with updates. But, for now:
- Screen sharing on Facetime will show everything on your device’s screen. But, it won’t show any notifications that will pop up.
- You can’t use Screen Share to host a Watch Party. Apple won’t allow you to broadcast TV shows or movies for legal requirements.
- You will need SharePlay to host a Watch Party. Even then, each user needs to have legal access to the app they are going to use for SharePlay to work.
- You can choose to share a specific screen on Macbook. This feature is not available on iPhones and iPads.
- Android and Microsoft users can’t join Screen Sharing. But, they can join a Facetime call by following the link shared by the Apple user (Host).
- Steps For Screen Share On Facetime
- Joining A Facetime Screen Share
- Taking Over The Screen Share From Other Person
- Ending The Screen Sharing On Facetime
- Sharing Screen On MacBook
- Using SharePlay To Share Content
Now, let’s move to the guide. This guide is divided into steps. The first few steps are about Screen Sharing on Facetime. After that, you will also learn about SharePlay. It is a feature similar to screen sharing but for entertainment. So, let’s begin with what you’re here for:
Facetime is a fascinating feature. You can activate it from your Apple device’s settings for facetime. Even the messenger app allows you to host group Facetime calls. So, to screen share on Facetime, you have to:
- First, activate the Facetime feature, and host a Facetime call.
- Make sure that you have all the people added that you want to screen share with.
- Next, find the ‘Share Content’ Button in the options of Facetime. It shouldn’t be too hard to find.
- Now, click on ‘Share My Screen.’ It might give you a quick pop-up on what the feature is. You can go ahead and start hosting.
Remember that screen sharing isn’t the same as the TeamViewer app. Others can’t control anything on your device. So, you can go ahead and share as much as you’d like.
Now, the above-given step is for anyone looking to host Facetime calls and share their screen. But what if you’re one of the viewers? How can you join and see the shared screen?
Well, it is pretty simple:
- Open your Facetime app and make sure to join the call.
- You will see an ‘Open’ option. If not, you will see the ‘ Join Screen Sharing’ option. Tap on it.
- See if the Open option pops up. If it does, click on it, and you will join.
- If none of these steps pops up, it means that you don’t have the latest version. So, make sure to update.
Anyone who joins the Facetime call can easily share their screen. It is not available just for the host. All you need to do is:
- Find the ‘Share Content’ option on your Facetime call.
- Then click on ‘Share My Screen.’
- It might ask you to Replace Existing ones.
If you click to Replace Existing, the other user will stop sharing their screen. There may be some permission requirements. For instance, the other user will have to agree to let your screen share.
But, there is also a Picture-in-picture option that Facetime supports. More than one user can share their screen at a time on Facetime.
You need to follow the same commands as above, but don’t replace the existing screen. See if that works. If not, you might not have the latest updates.
4. Ending The Screen Sharing On Facetime
There will be a three-second countdown whenever you decide to share a screen. After that, you can see a purple-colored icon at the top of your device. This icon represents that you are currently sharing a screen. So, anything you do on that screen will be visible to the others.
It is relatively easy for you to stop sharing screens if you want. All you need to do is:
- Come back to the Facetime App (screen).
- At the top, you will see a list of options.
- Click on the ‘Share Content’ option. This will stop sharing screens.
To double-check, you can see if there is a purple icon or not.
5. Sharing Screen On MacBook
Remember that Macbooks come with an entirely different built-in option to screen share. You can use that. But, if you don’t want to do that, you can still use FaceTime. The method for sharing screens using macOS isn’t all that different. You will just have to use SharePlay with it. How will you do that? Here’s a quick guide:
- First, install and launch Facetime on your MacBook.
- Next, start the call and invite all the people to the group with which you want to share the screen.
- After hosting the new FaceTime, there will be a ‘SharePlay’ option in the list of Facetime tools. Click on it.
- It will ask you to select a specific window or the full screen. You can even choose a particular app.
- Once you do that, you will start sharing screens.
Remember that you can’t stream content with others by using this feature. If you want to use SharePlay to stream content, everyone needs to have a subscription to the app. Only then can you expect to stream content together for everyone to watch.
Before you can use the SharePlay feature, you need the Facetime app. It only works with the Facetime app, and you will need at least iOS version 15.1 for it to work.
Users can easily share TV shows and Music. They can steam content together as long as all the participants have legal access to the content. What does it mean to have legal access?
Basically, every user needs to have a subscription for the app and the quality of content. For example, if you want to stream Netflix on SharePlay together. Then, all the participants need a subscription to Netflix. This is to ensure the legalities.
SharePlay isn’t widely available yet. It supports a limited number of apps, and Apple might expand the list later. Now, as you know, you need to be on Facetime to use SharePlay. Here’s how you follow after that:
- On your iOS interface, swipe upwards from the bottom.
- Now, open the app that SharePlay supports. It can be for video or music.
- All you need to do is select anything you want to play from the app.
- Once you do that, you will see an option to select ‘SharePlay.’ Go ahead and do it.
With that, everyone can enjoy all the content available on SharePlay. Remember that everyone can control the playback on SharePlay. It means that you, or others, can pause, play, rewind, or control the entire content.
Some features like allowing captions or subtitles and volume control would be individual. Joining SharePlay is the same as joining Facetime or Screen Sharing on it. You will have to click on the Open option next to the SharePlay option.
The best bet for you is to update your Apple device. That’s the only way for you to Screen Share in Apple’s technology infrastructure. But, if you don’t want that, you can use a third-party app.
There are tools available like Team Viewers. Like Netflix and Amazon Prime, many apps come with an option to host a Watch Party. It will allow you to watch content with friends. This is the same as the SharePlay option.
You can also try Screencasting via Chromecast and AirPlay. These will allow you to share screens, as well. But, it might have limited attendees.
There isn’t any viable way to use Facetime Screen Share on older devices. You will have to use other apps, even Discord, and Skype, to support screen sharing that you can try.
Now you know how to share the screen on iOS 15 and other latest versions. You will need the Facetime application. Yes, you will be audible from your microphone. Others can only control their audio features, not all.
Either way, you can now go ahead and use Facetime with Screen Share. Make sure that your friends also have an Apple device for it to work. So, whenever you want to have fun or collaborate with work, you will know what to do.
We hope that you found answers to all your questions. The aim was to clear any misconceptions and provide you with the best tips. So, go ahead and enjoy Screen Sharing on Facetime (aka FT).
Is Facetime Screen Sharing Feature Compatible With Android Device?
If you’re an Apple user, you would know that it allows Android users to join Facetime. For that, you have to share a link from your Apple device to Android User. But that’s all they can do. They can only join the call without access to the commands. But, the screen sharing feature is not available for Android users.
Apple’s Facetime screen sharing feature is exclusive to iOS and macOS users. You can’t download or access it with a Microsoft Computer. The same applies to SharePlay and other enticing new features. The best that you can hope is to join a Facetime call via the link sent by the Apple user.
Does The Video Call With Facetime Support Split View?
In a way, yes. But, it comes with an array of instructions and workaround. You will have to decide the purpose of the split view. If you mean whether you can see more than one person at a time, you can. That split-screen view is a built-in feature. But, if you want to record the screen or do other things, you will have to check the device’s instructions for the feature.
Do You Need MacOS Monterey To Conduct Video Calls On Facetime?
macOS Monterey is the best version that allows users to screen share on a Macbook. While you can conduct video calls on older macOS devices, this is where you access all the features. So, while it is unnecessary, you will need it if you want to screen share.