Capturing screenshots is easy and useful. But finding the right methods for taking screenshots is essential, so you use the method you like. Some people like to use keyboard shortcuts, while some like to click on applications.
If you want to know the best ways to capture screenshots on Dell laptops, desktops, Chromebooks, and tablets, jump to the right section and explore easy methods.
How To Take a Screenshot on Dell Laptops and Desktops (Windows 11, 10, 8, 7)
- Snipping Tool
- The Print Screen (PrntScr) Shortcut Key
- Snip & Sketch (Best Method)
- Xbox Game Bar
- Third-Party Screenshot Applications
1. Snipping Tool
Snipping Tool comes pre-installed on Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11. It made its first appearance on Windows Vista. We all know Vista wasn’t a success, but Snipping Tool was. This is why it’s still a popular and easy method of capturing screenshots on any version of Windows.
1.1 Quickly Take a Screenshot with Snipping Tool
- Open the Start menu, type ‘
snipping tool‘, and open the first app.
- You’ll see a small window with a few options.
- Open the window you want to take a screenshot, go to Snipping Tool and click the ‘New’ button to take a screenshot quickly.
- Your whole screen will be grayed, and your mouse cursor will change into a crosshair cursor.
- Click and drag the cursor to take a screenshot. Release when done.
- The screenshot will open in the Snipping Tool, where you can either save it directly or edit it before saving it.
- You can use the Pen, Highlighter, and Eraser to edit. Click the balloon icon to open the image with Paint 3D for further editing.
- Now, click the floppy disk icon to save the image.
- Type the name, select the location, and format to save the screenshot.
- A screenshot is saved by default as PNG. You can change the format by clicking the drop-down menu next to ‘Save as type’ and selecting your desired format. It offers PNG, JPG, GIF, and MHT.
- For further or proper editing, open the screenshot with a photoshop application.
1.2 Use Screenshot Mode in Snipping Tool
You know how to take a screenshot quickly, but there are screenshot modes that can make the selection easier.
- Open the Snipping Tool by clicking the Start menu, typing ‘snipping tool, and launching the app.
- When the Snipping Tool opens, click ‘Mode.’
- A small list with three options appears. You can choose Free-form Snip, Rectangular Snip (default), and Window Snip.
- With Free-form Snip, you can take a screenshot by moving your mouse cursor in any direction and pattern, just like using a pen. It’s not a recommended method of taking screenshots in most cases.
- The Rectangular Snip lets you capture screenshots in any form of a rectangle or square. Selection is easier with this mode.
- Using Window Snip is helpful if you want to capture a screenshot of an entire active window. You can select the window and click to capture. No need to click and drag to select the area.
For some people, the Snipping Tool is a slow method of taking screenshots, but it has many benefits.
- With the Snipping Tool, you can select the portion of the screen to capture. You don’t need to crop the image later to suit your needs. You can select the area when taking the screenshot.
- You can also choose the location, image name, and format.
- It provides editing options to edit your image before saving it.
- The screenshot you take is automatically copied to your clipboard, so after capturing a screenshot, you can directly paste it to any chat or document without saving it.
There are some limitations to Snipping Tool as well. For instance, you can’t capture screenshots of lists and menus that disappear when you click anywhere else.
For example, taking a screenshot of the Start menu with the Snipping Tool is impossible. You’ll open the Start menu, but as you try to bring up the Snipping Tool, the Start menu will disappear.
Moreover, you also can’t take screenshots of full-screen games and videos with the Snipping Tool.
If you’re having these issues, use Methods 2 and 3 for capturing screenshots.
2. The Print Screen (PrntScr) Shortcut Key
Dell laptops and many other brands feature a dedicated key for taking screenshots – the Print Screen key. Different label variations include PrintScreen, PrntScr, PrtSc, PrtScn, and PrtScn. When you press the key, it takes a screenshot of your entire screen. Here’s how to use it:
- Open the window or full-screen game/video you want to capture.
- Press the PrntScr key on your keyboard. It’s located on the uppermost row of your keyboard. The screenshot will be captured and saved to your Pictures folder. Full location: This PC > Pictures > Screenshots.
- If the screenshot isn’t taken, press the Windows logo key + PrntScr key or the Fn key + PrntScr key. Fn is the function key.
- Moreover, to capture the screenshot of a specific window, press the ALT + PrntScr keys.
The Print Screen method is quick and easy. Its major benefit is that it lets you take screenshots of full-screen programs so you can capture pictures of any video or game easily.
Furthermore, it also doesn’t disappoint when taking screenshots of lists and menus that disappear if you click elsewhere. You can open the menu and press the shortcut keys to capture a screenshot.
The Print Screen method isn’t all good.
- Due to its nature can’t let the user choose the image location, name, and format.
- You also don’t get an option to edit the image before saving it.
- On top of that, mostly, there is no visual clue given when a screenshot is taken with this method. So, if you’re new to this method, you may have to go to the designated folder to check if the screenshot was taken or not.
- There is no option to select the area of the screen you want to capture because it either captures the entire screen or an active window.
If these flaws annoy you, use Snip & Sketch for capturing screenshots.
3. Snip & Sketch (Best Method)
If you’re on Windows 10 or 11, you have another simple yet powerful screenshot tool that comes pre-installed – Snip & Sketch. It’s now considered the primary screenshot app by Microsoft though you can still use the Snipping Tool.
Here’s how to use Snip & Sketch on Dell computers:
3.1 Take a Screenshot by Opening the Snip & Sketch Application
- Click the Start menu, type ‘snip & sketch’, and launch the app.
- Open the window you want to take a screenshot of.
- On Snip & Sketch, click the ‘New’ button.
- A dark overlay will appear on your screen. This means the screen is ready to be captured.
- Click and drag your mouse cursor to take a screenshot. The default mode of taking screenshots is Rectangular Snip mode. You can choose from Freeform Snip, Window Snip, and Fullscreen Snip.
- Once the screenshot is taken, it’s copied to your clipboard, and you can also access it from the notification center.
- When you click the captured screenshot, it’ll open with Snip & Sketch, where you can edit it or save it directly.
- After editing, click the floppy disk icon in the toolbar or press CTRL + S to save the screenshot.
- Save the screenshot by typing a name and selecting the location and format.
3.2 Capture Screenshots by Using the Snip & Sketch Shortcut Key (Quick Method)
If you want to capture images quickly or take a screenshot of menus or lists that disappear if you click anywhere else, use the Snip & Sketch shortcut key.
- Open the screen you want to capture.
- Press the Windows key + SHIFT + S keys together.
- You’ll see a dark overlay on the screen. Click and drag the mouse cursor to capture a screen. This works for full-screen videos and games as well.
Snip & Sketch is as good as it gets because:
- You can select the portion of the screen to take screenshots.
- It takes screenshots of full-screen programs easily. Moreover, it can also capture screenshots of menus and lists that disappear when you click elsewhere.
- You can select the name, location, and format of the image.
- You get editing tools to edit the image before saving it quickly.
- The taken screenshot is copied to the clipboard, so you can use it anywhere by pressing CTRL + V.
4. Xbox Game Bar
Xbox Game Bar is a screen recording and screen capturing tool for gaming. Like the above options, it also comes pre-installed on Windows 10 and 11. If you’re using the above three methods, you won’t need this option because it’s not recommended if you’re not gaming and aren’t screen capturing.
But if you want to capture screens during gaming, you can use the Print Screen method, Snip & Sketch, or Game Bar.
- Open the Start menu, type ‘
game bar,’ and open the app.
- A few widgets will open, and your screen will get a dark overlay.
- Click the camera icon on the widget at the top left corner of the screen.
- You’ll get a notification that the screenshot has been taken.
- Screenshots are saved on This PC > Videos > Captures.
Game Bar only takes images of the full-screen programs, so it’s useful for gamers and those who want to take screenshots of full-screen apps. Otherwise, you have better options in Snipping Tool, Print Screen, and Snip & Sketch.
5. Third-Party Screenshot Applications
If you want to explore more applications that let you take screenshots, you can search online. Many free tools take screenshots and let you capture screen recordings.
- Open your web browser and visit Google.
- Search ‘free screenshot tools for Windows.’
- Go to a few websites and install some of the apps.
- Find the app that works best for you.
- Uninstall all others.
How To Capture Screenshots on Dell Tablets?
Windows power most Dell tablets, but some also have Android.
- Take Screenshots on Dell Tablets Running on Windows
- Capture a Screenshot on Dell Android Tablets
1. Take Screenshots on Dell Tablets Running on Windows
All the Dell tablets running on Windows 8.1, 10, or 11 can take screenshots just as a Windows laptop or desktop. So, you can use the screenshot-taking methods in the Windows Dell laptops section.
The best methods for taking screenshots on Windows are Snipping Tool and Snip & Sketch. With these, you don’t need to install anything as they are pre-installed and free-to-use.
How To Use the Print Screen Key on a Tablet?
Dell tablets or any tablet don’t have the Print Screen key for capturing screenshots. Instead, you can take screenshots with the physical buttons of the tablet.
- Bring the page, window, or app you want to capture.
- Press the Power + Volume Down keys together.
- A screenshot of the entire screen will be taken.
2. Capture a Screenshot on Dell Android Tablets
Android tablets work a bit differently from Windows tablets. You have these options for taking a screenshot on Dell tablets running on Android.
2.1 Use the Physical Keys
- Bring up the screen you want to capture.
- Press the Power button + Volume Down button on your tablet to take a screenshot of the entire screen.
- You may get a pop-up where you can edit and save the screenshot.
2.2 Take Screen by Using the Quick Settings Menu
The Quick Settings menu has a screenshot option. So, you use that if you don’t like to press the power button and volume keys frequently.
- Go to the screen you want to take a screenshot of.
- Swipe down from the top and tap the screenshot button in the Quick Settings menu.
- The entire screen will be captured.
- Edit and save the screenshot.
2.3 Install Third-Party Apps
Google Play Store is filled with many free and paid screenshots and screen recording apps with various features.
- Open Google Play Store.
- Search ‘Screenshot app.’
- Look for apps with good ratings and a high number of downloads.
- Install some of them to test them out.
- Keep the best and uninstall the rest.
How To Take Screenshots on Dell Chromebooks?
- Take Screenshots with the Screen Capture Tool
- Take a Quick Screenshot with the Shortcut Key
1. Take Screenshots with the Screen Capture Tool
Google’s Chrome OS features an in-built screenshot tool called Screen Capture. You can access it by either pressing the shortcut keys or from the Quick Settings panel.
1.1 Access Screen Capture with the Keyboard Shortcut
- Make sure you’re on the window you want to capture to take a screenshot.
- Press the CTRL + SHIFT + Show windows keys at once.
- The Screen Capture toolbar will appear at the bottom of your screen. The tool is small but has three sections.
- The first section has a camera icon for screenshots and a video camera icon for screen recordings. The camera icon is selected by default.
- The second section lets you choose the screenshot mode. It offers full-screen screenshots, rectangular screenshots, and active window screenshots. The rectangular screenshot mode is the default mode.
- The third section has two icons. One is for settings, and the other is the close button.
- For a quick screenshot, click and drag the mouse cursor on the portion of the screen you want to capture.
- If you want to change the mode, click the mode, for instance, full-screen, and capture the screen.
- You’ll get a notification that your screenshot has been taken. You can click ‘Show Folder’ to go to the folder immediately or manually go to the screenshots folder. The screenshots are saved in your Downloads folder.
- You can also change where your screenshots are saved. Bring up the Screen Capture by pressing the shortcut keys. Then, click the settings icon and choose ‘Select folder.’
1.2 Access Screen Capture from the Quick Settings Panel
If you don’t want to press the shortcut keys every time or usually forget shortcut keys, you can access the tool from the Quick Settings panel:
- Click the time at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- A panel would appear. Select ‘Screen Capture’ from the different options in the panel.
- The Screen Capture tool would appear.
- Take a screenshot or record your screen.
2. Take a Quick Screenshot with the Shortcut Key
If you want to take multiple screenshots, you may need a dedicated shortcut key to press whenever you want to capture a screen. Chrome OS offers it as well. It takes a screenshot of the entire screen.
- When you’re on the screen to be captured, press the CTRL + Show windows keys together.
- A screenshot of the entire screen will be taken.
- Go to your Downloads folder to access the screenshots.
Taking screenshots on any Dell laptop, tablet, or Chromebook is easy because whichever operating system you’re using, you have pre-installed tools to capture screenshots conveniently.
Which Button Is A Screenshot On The Keyboard?
The Print Screen (PrntSc) button on the keyboard takes a screenshot when pressed with specific keys. Try these shortcuts:
– Windows logo key + PrntSc key
– Fn key + PrntSc key (Fn is Function key)
How Do You Screenshot On A Dell Without A Print Screen Button?
If your Dell laptop has Windows, you can use the Snipping Tool to take screenshots. For this, you don’t need the Print Screen button.
– Open the Start menu, type ‘
snipping tool‘, and open the first app.
– Click ‘New’ and select the area for taking a screenshot.
How Do I Take A Screenshot Without The Windows Key Or Print Screen?
You can use Snip & Sketch or Snipping Tool to take a screenshot without the Windows or Print Screen key.
snipping tool‘ or ‘
snip & sketch‘ and open the app on the Start menu.
– Click ‘New’ and take a screenshot.
How Do You Manually Take A Screenshot In Windows?
To manually take a screenshot on Windows, use Snipping Tool or Snip & Sketch.
– Open the Start menu, type ‘
snip & sketch‘ or ‘
snipping tool,’ and launch the app.
– Select ‘New’ and capture a screenshot manually.