Roblox is a renowned online game platform that is home to millions of players. Despite cartoonish graphics, Roblox is famous because of its diverse game library. Moreover. it is free to play unless you are a fanatic about owning your favorite game avatars. But like most popular online game platforms, Roblox has its fair share of problems.
It is exasperating to face the Roblox not launching issue on your computer. This problem prevents the Roblox game launcher from starting and allowing you to play. If you face a similar issue and are unable to launch Roblox, then this troubleshooting guide is for you.
We will list out all the probable causes of Roblox not launching and its possible solutions. Without further delay, let’s dive into the ultimate Roblox not launching error troubleshooting guide.
Reasons behind the Roblox not launching issues
There can be many reasons behind the Roblox not launching issue. The most common ones are:
- Roblox launcher lacks administrator privileges on your computer.
- The Roblox launcher hasn’t been updated for too long.
- Your DNS cache is corrupt or outdated.
- You are running an older version of your graphics card driver.
- You are running an older build of your Windows operating system.
- Your system has many resource-intensive background tasks open.
- The Roblox server is down due to scheduled maintenance or some issue.
- The Roblox AppData folder is corrupt or outdated.
12 Easy Methods to fix Roblox Not Launching problem
Here are 12 easy methods to fix the Roblox not launching problem on your device. Make sure to follow these steps in sequence to avoid any troubleshooting mishaps.
- Run Roblox Game as an administrator
- Delete Roblox AppData Folder
- Ensure Proxy Server of LAN is Disabled
- Flush DNS Cache
- Check Roblox Server Status
- Power Cycle Your Router
- Try Another Browser (Google Chrome, Edge, Safari, Brave)
- Update Graphics Drivers
- Update Windows OS Build
- Close Background Running Tasks
- Perform a Clean Boot of your Computer
- Use a VPN Service
- Reinstall Roblox Desktop App on your System
Run Roblox Game as an administrator
If you are running the Roblox game without admin privileges, it may force close. You must run the Roblox launcher with admin privileges to avoid the force close issue. To run the Roblox game as an administrator, do as follows:
- Find the Roblox Game executable file on your computer and right-click on it.
- From the context menu, select the Run as administrator option.
- Now, UAC will pop up, asking you to allow the programs to run with admin privileges.
- Hit OK to allow the Roblox launcher to start with admin privileges.
- Your Roblox launcher should open now. If it doesn’t, move to the next step.
Delete Roblox AppData Folder
If you have been using the Roblox launcher for quite some time, the AppData folder may grow big. AppData folder contains your user profile details, account data that can become corrupt.
By deleting the AppData folder, you can start afresh with Roblox launcher settings. To delete the Roblox AppData folder, do as follows:
- Open the File Explorer on your computer.
- Now go to the location where Roblox AppData files are present( C:\Users\Username\appdata\local\).
- Make a copy of the Roblox AppData folder somewhere on your system.
- Now, right-click on the folder and select delete while holding the shift key.
- The Roblox AppData folder will be deleted from your system.
- Restart your computer and then reopen the Roblox launcher using admin privileges.
Note: Roblox will create a new AppData folder and files when you reopen it. But make sure to keep a backup copy of the original folder. It can help you restore files and settings if things go awry.
Ensure Proxy Server of LAN is Disabled
If you use a proxy server with LAN, you need to disable it if you face connection problems with Roblox. Roblox is an online app and won’t start if it fails to connect with the server. So, it is wise to disable the proxy server of LAN.
- Hit the Start menu and type Internet Options. Open the first search result.
- Navigate to the Connections tab and then tap the LAN Settings button.
- Locate the Proxy Server label and then check whether the “Use a proxy server for your LAN” option is enabled.
- Disable it and press the OK button.
- Now, restart your computer and try to relaunch the Roblox launcher.
Flush DNS Cache
Flushing DNS cache from time to time is a good practice. By doing so, you clear corrupt caches files that stop the connection to a website/service on the internet. You can also solve the Roblox not launching problem by flushing the DNS cache. Repeat the following steps:
- Press Win key + R to open the Run command box. Type cmd and press enter key.
- Now, make sure you are in the C directory. Type “ipconfig /flushDNS” in the CMD window.
- Hit the enter key to flush the DNS cache.
- Now, restart the computer and relaunch the Roblox launcher using the administrator privileges.
Note: Make sure to run CMD with administrator privileges.
Check Roblox Server Status
A server-side fault can also disrupt the normal working of your Roblox launcher. Roblox is an online gaming platform that undergoes periodic server maintenance. Moreover, it can also stop working due to a problem with one or more servers hosting the service. You can check the official Roblox Server Status page for detailed information.
The page lists out the current status of all Roblox services. If there is an issue, you need to wait until they fix the issue. You will not be able to use the Roblox launcher to play or create games while the servers are under maintenance. Revisit the official page after some time for an update on the issue.
Power Cycle Your Router
You can try to power cycle your router to re-establish the internet connection. Power cycling a device simply means disconnecting its power source. Then you need to drain all the residual power and plug it back in. To power cycle your router, do as follows:
- Find your router and disconnect its power cord from the wall socket.
- Check that there are no blinking lights on the router.
- Now, wait for a couple of minutes before plugging in the power cord to the wall socket.
- Connect your computer with the router and relaunch the Roblox launcher.
- If the Roblox app is unable to launch, try other methods in the list.
Try Another Browser (Google Chrome, Edge, Safari, Brave)
If you use a browser to access Roblox, you may try switching browsers and accessing Roblox again. Sometimes, a particular browser may pose difficulties with the Roblox website and services. You can try to login into your Roblox account using any other browser such as Firefox, Edge, Safari, Brave, etc.
Moreover, you should also clear cookies and site data stored in your browser. Deleting cookies will load the new site settings. It may solve the Roblox not launching error on Chrome or any other browser.
Update Graphics Drivers
Outdated graphics drivers can cause incompatibility issues with the Roblox launcher. If you are using an outdated graphics driver on your system, you need to update graphics drivers. Repeat the following steps:
- Press the Win key + R key to launch the Run command box.
- Type devmgmt.msc in the textbox and press the enter key.
- Now, the device manager will open on your computer.
- Scroll down to the Display Adapters option in the devices menu.
- Expand the Display Adapters option and right-click to open the context menu.
- Select the Update driver option and continue.
- Now, select the “Search automatically for drivers” option.
- The utility will search and find the latest graphics drivers and then install them.
- If it fails to locate the latest version, try the manual option of updating using the driver.exe file.
Note: You may need to grab the latest graphics driver for your system from the official website.
Update Windows OS Build
Roblox keeps rolling out app updates for different operating systems. If you don’t update Windows OS build with time, it can cause problems with new versions of Roblox. To update Windows OS build to the latest version, do as follows:
- Press Win key + I to open the Settings app in Windows.
- Navigate to the top right area and find the Windows Update option.
- Click on the Windows Update option and tap the check for updates button.
- If there are any new updates, click on Download updates.
- Install the new updates and then reboot your system to apply the new updates.
- Now, Open the Roblox launcher with administrator privileges and check for errors.
- If you still face the Roblox not launching issue, move to the following method in the list.
Close Background Running Tasks
Roblox is a demanding program that requires ample computing power( CPU, RAM, GPU). If you have many processes running in the background, then Roblox may not launch. You need to free up the system resources by trying to close background running tasks. Repeat the following steps:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys at once to open Task Manager.
- Now, try to find unused programs that are eating the system resources.
- Chrome, Office, etc., are the most common culprits that continue to consume resources. You need to end these programs.
- Right-click on the program you need to close and then select End Task.
- Repeat this step with all the programs that are not in use.
- Now, try to run the Roblox launcher and check if the error pops up.
Perform a Clean Boot of your Computer
A clean boot refers to starting Windows without unnecessary startup programs. When you do a clean boot, most of the third-party services will not start with the system bootup. It is a nifty trick to free up system resources at startup. To perform a clean boot of your computer, do as follows:
- Press Win key + R to launch the Run command box.
- Now, type msconfig and press the enter key to open System Configuration.
- Navigate to the services tab and select the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Then hit the Disable all Services button.
- Hit the Apply button and then select the Ok button.
- Now, you need to restart your Windows to apply changes and do a clean boot.
- Try running the Roblox application and check it works fine or not.
Use a VPN Service
VPN service lets you bypass the geo-restrictions. So, you can connect to servers in another location using a VPN connection. This is extremely beneficial if Roblox was recently blocked by your Government/ISP. Roblox isn’t blocked everywhere but if that’s the case, Roblox will not launch on your system.
Using a VPN service has its fair share of flaws – especially if it is free. You may experience slow internet speed, extended loading times, and higher latency. If you are making the switch to a VPN, opt for a paid tier with maximum servers and unlimited bandwidth.
Reinstall Roblox Desktop App on your System
If all the above methods fail, then it is advisable to reinstall the Roblox Desktop app on your system. Reinstalling Roblox can result in the loss of your app data files. But you will not lose your avatars, progress, and rewards as they are stored on the server. To reinstall the Roblox desktop app, do as follows:
- Close the Roblox app if it is running in the background using Task Manager.
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Now locate the Apps option in the left-hand side menu and open it.
- Hit the Apps and Features option and then find Roblox in the Apps List.
- Tap the three vertical dots and choose the Advanced Options.
- Scroll to find the Uninstall section and then press the Uninstall button.
- Now, Windows will uninstall Roblox.
- Open the Microsoft store and search for Roblox.
- Click on the Install button to install the Roblox launcher on your PC.
- Now, try to run the app and check for errors.
These were the 12 easy methods to solve the Roblox not launching issue. Most of the time it is due to outdated apps and drivers. But it can also arise due to network inconsistencies and server-side faults. If all methods fail, then reinstalling the Roblox app is the only feasible option to get it working again.
Why Did Roblox Shut Down Today?
Roblox can shut down due to many reasons. The servers may be facing too much load on some days and thus become unresponsive. Roblox can also be shut down for periodic maintenance by the admin.
How Do I Fix Roblox Not Opening On Windows 10?
You can try some of these fixes for Roblox not opening on windows 10:
– Restart Roblox app with admin privileges
– Reinstall Roblox app from Microsoft store
– Flush DNS cache and use VPN
– Update your graphics driver
– Update your Roblox app and Windows OS
How To Fix Roblox Not Working?
To fix Roblox not working, first, do a system restart. Then run the Roblox launcher using admin privileges. After that, try clearing the DNS cache and updating graphic drivers and OS.
Why Is My Roblox Not Opening On PC?
You can face the Roblox not opening on PC due to the outdated Roblox app. It can also be due to a server-side issue. Moreover, there could be corrupt app data files, driver installation files on your system.