The YouTube Restricted mode is a very helpful attribute for your family, who do not want their kids to view explicit content. For parents who do not know how to disable this filter, this article will help you disable the YouTube Restricted Mode on many platforms. Make sure your child does not read this article until they are of age.
Disabling the Restricted Mode on YouTube
YouTube is available on a number of platforms like Windows, Android, iOS, and Smart TVs, through clients in the form of a browser (Google Chrome) website or a system application.
Since the children’s community comprises a lot of YouTube viewers all across the world, there is a chance that one of them could stumble upon any content that was made for an audience over the age bar. To prevent situations like this, YouTube installed the Restricted Mode feature.
When enabled, this prevents inappropriate content from appearing on the feed, making the website or application appropriate for younger viewers to watch. The IT administrator in schools or offices usually enables this feature to avoid distraction.
Some users were not able to disable it after they enable Restricted Mode for their YouTube profile. The User Interface (UI) is slightly different in each client. Once this is deactivated, any videos can be watched through your profile without any restriction. If it is accessible to an underage individual, you’ll have to be cautious.
The following are the different ways to turn off Restricted mode on the most popular YouTube clients, over a number of different devices. You can also use them to turn on Restricted Mode with the same steps. If it is enabled on one device, the Restricted mode works only for that specific device.
Turning off YouTube Restricted Mode on YouTube on your PC
YouTube is available as a website on computers. You will need a good browser, installed on your computer to open the website and access the YouTube settings. This
- Open the web browser of your choice.
- Go into the YouTube link and click on the account icon on the top-right corner of the Window.
You might have to log in to the account, you want the restricted mode gone.
- At the bottom of the pop-up menu, click on the Restricted Mode option.
- From the small dialog box, that appears in the place of this menu, click on the Activate Restricted mode toggle switch.
This will disable the Restricted Mode feature and give the viewer control over all available content.
Note: Since we find the Chrome browser convenient, we used it to provide references.
Turning off YouTube Restricted Mode on the Android YouTube client
The best option for a viewer to watch YouTube videos on your Android Smartphone is the YouTube application that comes with the mobile phone. If your children have access to your mobile and there exists the chance of the child viewing restricted content.
If you no longer want these restrictions, use the following steps to remove these video blocks through your Android YouTube application.
- Open the YouTube app on your android smartphone. It should be available on your application tray.
- Tap the profile icon, on the top-right corner of your screen, and you will be taken to the account settings window.
- Go into the Settings option. It has a gear icon to its left.
- In this window, tap the General option, which is on the top of the Settings list.
- Touch the Restricted mode toggle switch.
If the switch is blue, it means that Restricted Mode is enabled for your account.
This will disable the Restricted Mode for your YouTube profile.
Turning off YouTube Restricted Mode on the YouTube through Chrome browser on Android
An alternate method to turn the Restricted Mode feature off for your YouTube profile is by using the Google Chrome browser that is available on every android mobile device. This is not the traditional way to disable restricted mode on YouTube.
Here are the steps to deactivate Restricted Mode on YouTube with a mobile Chrome Browser.
- Launch the Google Chrome browser application on your mobile phone.
- Go to the YouTube website on the mobile browser.
- Tap the account icon on the top-right corner of your screen. and you’ll be shown a set of sections in the next window.
- Open the Settings option.
- Unfold the Account section by touching it and tap the Restricted Mode toggle button.
This will enable Restricted Mode or disable it, depending on the previously active option.
Turning off YouTube Restricted Mode on the iOS YouTube client
iOS also has a built-in YouTube app, which can be used to enable Restricted Mode or disable it.
These are the steps to enable or disable Restricted Mode in YouTube for iOS, through the YouTube app.
- Launch the YouTube App on your iPhone or iPad.
- Touch the profile icon and open the Settings.
- Under the YouTube section, find the Restricted Mode switch and tap on it to turn it on or off.
Your iPad or iPhone will no longer be able to stream mature content on YouTube until these changes are reverted.
Turning off YouTube Restricted Mode on YouTube for Android TV
Since Android TV users can watch YouTube on the big screen, the Restricted Mode can also be applied to the TV’s YouTube settings.
You will need the Google Home application to turn Restricted Mode on or off on your smart TV. This can be installed on your mobile device through the Google Play Store.
- Open the Google Home app and log into your Google Account.
- In the Home window, locate the Apps section and choose YouTube.
- Go into the settings option.
- Tap the Restricted Mode option. This could also be the Safety mode option.
- Tap the Enabled or Disabled option as per your choice.
These are the different steps to disable/ enable the Restricted Mode on your YouTube account to place age restrictions and block potentially mature content for viewers. We’d also like you to know that, when this feature is enabled, the content is automatically made family-friendly. But this does not happen all the time. Proceed cautiously. Happy Streaming!
Why is my YouTube on restricted mode?
YouTube automatically enables Restricted Mode is a Google account that has a parent account and is a child account. If the Restricted Mode was enabled previously on that specific device, users might have the Restricted Mode enabled on their YouTube app.
How do I disable restricted mode on YouTube?
To disable the Restricted Mode filter on your YouTube account, open the settings screen on your device, go into the General settings and click on the Restricted Mode or Safety Mode toggle switch.
What is restricted mode on YouTube on iPhone?
Restricted Mode is the YouTube filter that prevents inappropriate media content from being displayed on the YouTube feed or recommended list. This was designed to keep children’s videos free of inappropriate content. This does not work all the time as there is a tiny chance of a mature video finding its way into the YouTube account.
How To Disable Restricted Mode In YouTube
To disable the Restricted Mode age filter on your YouTube account, go into the YouTube profile settings > Locate the Restricted Mode toggle switch, in the General Section and click on it. You will no longer be able to see videos that are not made for kids.