If you face issues with the remote of amazon firestick, you should consider resetting it. We will tell you how you can reset the firestick remote. Amazon Firestick is a smart TV streaming device that turns a normal TV into a smart TV.
Firestick allows you to stream video content from popular streaming apps such as Amazon Prime, Netflix, YouTube, and much more. All you need is a reliable internet connection and you plug in your Firestick to your TV, and you control everything with Firestick Remote.
However, there could be times when the remote does not connect with Firestick. Even after the basic troubleshooting steps, such as changing the battery, the remote stays unresponsive. You need to reset Firestick remote to bring it back to life again. In this article, we will illustrate how to reset the Firestick remote.
What Are The Different Types Of FireStick Remotes?
Depending on the Amazon Firestick version you have, the remote can vary. With the gradual release of new versions of Firestick, its remote has been upgraded. The new remotes offer new features for the convenience of the users.
It is important to identify which remote you have. This is because troubleshooting and resetting Firestick small steps vary from one model to another. Here are the different types of FireStick remotes.
- Firestick Basic Remote
- Firestick Alexa Voice Remote (1st Gen)
- Firestick Alexa Voice Remote (2nd and 3rd Gen)
- Alex Voice Remote with Amazon Alexa
- Firestick Smart TV Remote
- Firestick Soundbar Remote
The steps to reset the basic remote and 1st gen remote are different. The steps for the motion remotes are the sales. The 1st gen remote does not have a power button, volume, or smart buttons.
Why Has My Fire Stick Remote Stopped Working?
There are several reasons why your Fire Stick remote has stopped working.
- If you are using your Firestick for the first time, you might not have paired the remote with Firestick.
- If the remote has run out of battery, the remote won’t work. Sometimes, the remote can stop working if the batteries are not properly placed.
- Sometimes, there could be obstructions in the path, or the distance could be too high. Even interference from other connections such as Bluetooth can make the remote not work properly.
- There could be connectivity issues with the remote. This can be corrected only by resetting the remote connectivity and pairing the remote back.
Basic Troubleshooting For Firestick Remote Not Working
Here are some basic troubleshooting steps that you have to perform to check if the problem of the remote not working is solved.
Pair the FireStick Remote
When using Firestick for the first time, you need to pair your remote with Firestick. Otherwise, the remote won’t work, and hence, you should take the following steps.
- Plugin your Firestick into your TV and turn it on.
- Bring the remote near Fire Stick once Fire TV boots up.
- You need to press and hold the Home button on the remote for at least 10 seconds.
- Release the Home button and check if it is working. If not, try and hold the Home button for longer and then release.
Unless the remote is faulty, it should work when you use it for the first time.
Check Remote Batteries
If you have been using your remote for some time now and suddenly find the remote is not working, you have to check the batteries. First of all, check if the batteries are connected properly.
If they are properly placed, try replacing the batteries with new ones if they have become dead. If the problem is not solved, try the other options out.
Check Remote Buttons
There are times when the issue is with a particular remote button instead of the entire remote. For example, the power button may not be working. Naturally, you will feel like the remote is not connecting to Firestick.
You should try out other buttons and functions before concluding that the remote is not connecting. If all the buttons are not working, take the following steps once.
- Power off Firestick and disconnect from Power Source.
- Hold Home + Back+ Left Navigation buttons together for 20 seconds.
- Remove the batteries and power on FireStick.
- Once FireStick starts, wait for a few minutes. Put back the batteries in the remote.
- Pair the remote with Firestick by holding the Home button for 10-20 seconds.
If you have purchased a replacement Fire Stick remote, there could be a compatibility issue. If you have tried to pair the remote with the FireStick, but you have not been successful, it is a case of incompatibility.
We have already stated that there are different types of Firestick remotes available. You should ensure that you have purchased a compatible Firestick remote.
However, if none of the above solutions works for you, you must reset your Firestick remote to re-establish the connection.
What Happen When You Reset Amazon Firestick Remote?
When you reset your Firestick remote, you unpair and remove the existing connection. Resetting is effective in fixing Firestick connectivity issues. Sometimes, some issues crop up in pairing and connectivity between the remote and Firestick.
The issue is rather technical, and hence, resetting the remote refreshes the connectivity issue. You pair your remote with Firestick after resetting, and more often than not, the problem will be fixed.
How To Reset My Fire Stick Remote?
You have to identify which Firestick remote you have. Accordingly, you have to take the following steps so that the solution works effectively. Here are the steps to reset the Fire Stick remote based on different editions.
Reset A Basic Resetting a Basic Edition Remote
The basic edition of the remote is the older version of the Fire TV. It is relatively shorter than most other Firestick remotes. If you have it, here are the steps to follow.
- Press and hold the Home button.
- Keep holding the Home button and press the Menu button three times.
- Release the Home button and press the Menu button nine times now.
- Now, remove the batteries and unplug Firestick. Wait for a minute.
- Put back the batteries and plug in the Firestick.
- When the Firestick homepage opens, press and hold the Home button for a minute.
Once the remote setup is done, the remote should connect easily with your Firestick.
Reset an Alexa Voice Remote (First Generation)
If your Firestick remote does have a power button or volume buttons, but it has Alexa voice support, it belongs to the first generation of Firestick remote. Here are the steps to reset this type of Firestick remote.
- Turn off Firestick and unplug the power cable. Wait for a minute before taking the next steps.
- Press and hold the Left button and Menu button for 15 seconds.
- Release the buttons and wait for a few seconds before removing the batteries.
- Plug your Firestick now and wait for a minute.
- Put back the batteries and press the Home button.
- Hold the home button for 10 seconds if the remote still does not connect.
Reset an Alexa Voice Remote (Latest Generation)
If you have a FireStick remote that does not belong to the basic edition of the first generation of Alexa voice remote, you can take the following steps to reset the remote.
- Unplug Firestick from the power connector and wait for a minute.
- Press and hold the Left button + Menu button + Back button for 15 seconds.
- Release the buttons and wait for another 10 seconds.
- Remove the batteries from the remote and pluginFirestick. Wait for a minute.
- Put back the batteries into the remote and press the Home button.
- You will see a blue light flashing at the top of your remote to notify you that it has successfully reconnected.
If you do not see the blue light flashing, you have to hold the Home button for 10 seconds or more.
Firestick remote connectivity issue is rather common. If it occurs when you are using it the first time, it is probably the pairing issue. It could also be a battery issue or an interference issue. The compatibility issue could not be ruled out if you have a replacement remote.
The last troubleshooting option is resetting the Firestick remote. Even if your remote does not work, you have to replace it with a compatible Firestick remote.
How To Sync Firestick Remote App To TV?
Connect your mobile device and TV to the same Wi-Fi network. Launch the app, and tap on the Sure button. Tap on Add Device and select your TV. You will get a code on your TV and enter the code in the app to sync the app and TV.
How To Reset Firestick To Factory Settings?
If you want to reset Firestick to factory settings to troubleshoot the problem you are facing, you need to go to the Home screen and press the Right button and Back button together for some seconds. You will see your Firestick powering off. Once the factory settings are restored, it will boot up, and you can check if the problem is fixed.
How Do I Unfreeze My Fire Stick Remote?
Unfreezing the Firestick remote needs you to follow the same steps of resetting the Firestick remote. First, identify the version of the remote you have and take the steps we have mentioned minutely to unfreeze your remote and reestablish the connection.