Group texts are really common today. All of us indulged in group texts in some way. But sometimes these group texts become troublesome and you need to remove yourself from such group texts.
In this article, steps are explained in “How To Remove Yourself From A Group Text Android.
Also, different messaging apps used by the users and steps to get removed from their group text are explained.
You can even block certain/specific people from the group text if they cause any trouble like spamming etc. By following a certain procedure. Even the group can be blocked in case you feel like it.
Can I Leave A Group Text On Android?
It is not possible to leave a group text on Android without any request made to the creator to get removed from the group chat.
You can mute the notifications, as it is the best alternative. Some group chats end up as a nuisance instead of outliving their usefulness. The methods to remove yourself from the group chats are explained below.
How To Remove Yourself From A Group Text Android?
There are two ways through which you can remove yourself from a group text on Android given below:
Mute Notifications Of The Group Conversation
To mute notifications of the group conversations, the steps to be followed are:
- By tapping, open your messaging app. The Messages app used is one that comes included with Android phones.
- Tap and hold the conversation you want to mute.
- In the bottom-left of the screen, tap the “Notifications” button.
- No notifications will be received now and a small mute icon will appear next to the conversation.
Delete The Group Chat
To delete the group chat from your messaging app entirely, follow the below steps:
- Tap and hold the conversation again, after muting the group text, and in the bottom-right of the screen, tap the “Delete” button.
- Tap “Delete after a pop-up window appears. Group text will be deleted until another person texts that original group chat, which will make the group text reappear in your messages.
- The group chats will continue to receive unless the group text creator removes you.
How To Block People In A Group Text?
To block any person who has been spamming the conversation or bullying you or if the leader keeps you adding in other groups, the steps to be followed are as follows:
- Open the “Messages” application.
- Open the conversation.
- At the top-right corner of the phone, tap the three dots.
- Select “People & options”.
- Search and select the person you want to block. The contact information of the person will appear.
- To go to their message screen, select the message icon.
- Tap the menu button to see more options.
- Select “People & options” again.
- Select “People & options” again.
- You will find an option to “Block & report spam”. confirm the prompt to stop them from sending messages to your phone instead of reporting them as spam.
Thus, after the above process, you will not receive more messages from this person.
How To Truly Block A Specific Group Text/Chat On An Android Phone?
You can even block any specific group text/chat on an Android. But for that you must meet up with some criteria:
- Don’t use a messaging app under administrative control. For example, Family Link accounts for children or a Verizon Smart Family profile.
- No social media application should be linked to your default messaging app. For example, for standard mobile messages, use the Meta Messenger app.
- You can install and set a third-party app as your default messaging app.
Textra SMS app is the app that can replace your default Android messaging app. To block group chats steps to be followed are:
- Download and install the Textra SMS app.
- Open Textra SMS. Choose it as your default messaging app. Select Textra SMS from the pop-up window. It will automatically sync your messages, once set up as your default app.
- Open the group chat/message board directly. DO NOT long-press a message within the group or long-press it from the main messages screen (lists all other messages), as the option does not reside there.
- Near the names/phone numbers in the top bar, tap on the downward arrowhead icon, in the group chat.
- In the top right corner, tap on the three small dots and select Blocklist from the pop-up submenu to block all incoming messages in the group text.
No message will appear in Textra. Since you blocked the group, messages still get sent but they will not be displayed by the app.
How Do You Remove Someone From A Group Message?
Being the creator of the group text you can remove the participants in case you feel like getting them removed. This is done as:
- Go to the messaging application.
- Navigate to, and select the group text in question.
- To bring up more details, select the group text name.
- Press “Add/Remove Recipients”.
- Remove the individual you no longer want in the group text.
How To Leave A Group Text On Various Chat Apps?
It is easier to leave a group text on an Android chat app. Different chat apps with different steps to leave a group text are as follows:
To leave a group text from Facebook Messenger, steps to follow:
- Launch “Messenger”.
- Select the conversation you don’t want to be a part of anymore.
- At the top of the page, tap the group name.
- Go to the “Options” section.
- Tap “Leave Chat”.
- By pressing “Leave”, confirm the action.
To leave a group text from Whatsapp, steps to follow:
- Launch WhatsApp on your device.
- Open the group you wish to leave.
- At the top right corner, click on the menu button.
- Select group info.
- Scroll down the group till the end.
- Click on Exit Group.
To avoid people knowing about your exit from the group you can disable notifications. Go to the sidebar menu and click on the “mute notifications” option.
To leave a group text from Telegram, steps to follow:
- Launch Telegram on your device.
- Open the group you wish to leave.
- At the top right corner, click on the three-stack-up dots icon.
- Open the menu bar.
- Select the “Delete and leave group” option.
Muting the group is also an alternative in case you don’t want to leave the group to manage notifications only.
Why Can’t You Remove Yourself From A Group Text On Android?
MMS is the reason why you are not able to remove yourself from a group text on Android. It is an outdated version that doesn’t allow you to remove your name from a group that you feel stuck in.
Rich Communication Services (RCS) is a good alternative, and if you use Google Messages, you can turn on RCS features.
To use RCS features you must note that the group has it enabled, it needs to be supported in your region. Steps to enable RCS are as follows:
- Go to “Messages”.
- In the top-right corner, select the three dots.
- Tap “Settings”.
- Tap “Chat Features”.
- Turn on the “Enable chat features”.
How To Remove Yourself From Group Text Chat On Google Messaging Group?
Google Messaging app is a default messaging app for Androids. The steps to remove yourself from group text chat on google messaging group are as follows:
- Go to Google Messaging app on Android.
- Select the Message Group you want to exist.
- Open the hamburger menu(3 vertical dots at the top right corner).
- Select the Group details option.
- On the bottom of the screen, tap the Leave group option.
How To Leave Group Text On iMessage?
Steps to be followed to leave group text on iMessage are as follows:
- Open the messaging app: Go to the iMessage application and select the group messaging text you wish to leave.
- Select the ‘info’ button: Just below the status bar, click on the images or initials of the group chat. Select the ‘info’ button from the drop-down menu that will appear.
- Click on ‘Leave this Conversation’: At the bottom of the screen, click on “Leave this Conversation,” from the detail section that will appear after clicking on the info button. You will be removed from the group text.
Make sure that the app is running on the latest version of iOS. If not, the “Leave this Conversation” option will not be shown and you will not be able to leave the conversation.
In conclusion, group text can sometimes be problematic and you need to remove yourself from such group text.
Thus, there are different ways through which you can get yourself removed. Not even the group text you can even block any person or a group in case you feel disturbed. All such steps are explained in the above article.
There are even different messaging apps that are used such as Whatsapp, Facebook, Telegram, etc that are used by users and you can even remove any group text from these apps also by following the steps mentioned above.