In Google Chrome, the “Reading List” button on the right side of the Bookmarks Bar lets you organize your reading material. However, many of us can do well without this extra feature on the screen. Keep reading to know how you can easily remove reading list from chrome or disable this feature from Google Chrome.
What Is the Reading List Feature in Chrome?
The Reading List feature provides the ability to save and access articles that are essential to you. Afterward, you can go back and read them whenever you have the opportunity. Consider the Reading List function to be a basic version of the Pocket service.
As an alternative to bookmarking a page, you can add it to your reading list, which will sync to your Google account. Another advantage is that the pages you save will be accessible even when you are not connected to the internet.
If you are in a position where you only have a restricted data connection or no internet access, this can be pretty useful. Nonetheless, for many, the Bookmarks button is a better option.
How To Remove Reading List From Chrome
1. Disable Reading List Button Using Google Settings
In order to remove the Reading List option from the google browser, follow the steps outlined below:
- Launch Google Chrome on your computer.
- Right-click anywhere on the Bookmarks bar to bring up the context menu.
- Navigate to the menu bar and select ‘Show readings list’. The Reading list is removed if it is not ticked anymore.
Bringing this option back is exactly as simple as removing it. Select the Show readings list from the bookmarks bar once more by clicking on it. The option will reappear as soon as possible.
2. How to Disable the Add to Reading List Option
In case you wish to disable the “Add to reading list” option in the browser window, the following are the procedures you must take:
- Launch Google Chrome on your computer.
- Copy and paste the following into the address bar: chrome:/flags/
- You will find the following two preferences in this section:
- Temporarily unexpire M94 flags.
- Temporarily unexpire M95 flags
- Select Enabled from the drop-down menu that appears next to them. To see these possibilities straight away, type the word ‘temporarily’ into the search box under the ‘Search flags’ heading in the menu bar.
- After you’ve made these modifications, you’ll be presented with a relaunch button for Chrome.
Following this, when Chrome is relaunched, you will notice that the option to “Add to reading list” is not available anymore.
3. Removing the ‘Add to Reading List’ Option Completely
The only real difference between the chrome Bookmarks bar and Reading List is that the latter is a dedicated list for pages you’d like to read whereas the former is for all kinds of pages.
In that case, if you want to remove the ‘Add to reading list’ option completely and simply have the Bookmarks setting appear every time you click on the star icon, follow the steps below:
- Copy and paste the following into the address bar of your browser: chrome://flags/#read-later
- Upon completion of this process, a flag named Reading list will appear on your screen with the same drop-down menu as in the preceding process.
- Select disabled Relaunch from the pop-up menu that appears and wait for the Chrome Window to reappear on the screen.
Removing Reading List in Chrome 89 and Older
Being a new button itself, unlike the latest version of Chrome, Chrome 89 and older ones do not have an option in the setting to turn off the Reading List feature. In that case, the chrome flag comes to your rescue.
- Launch Google Chrome to get things started. Press Enter after typing chrome:/flags into the address field on your browser.
- Search and select “Reading List.”
- Select “Disabled” from the drop-down menu that appears when you hover your cursor over the flag.
- A restart of the Chrome browser is required to apply the modifications that have been implemented. Towards the bottom of the screen, a button says, “Relaunch.”
- When the browser is closed and reopened, the “Reading List” button will be deleted from the Bookmarks Bar and will no longer be visible.
If you want the button to appear again, just change the Chrome flag to “Default” or “Enabled.”
In conclusion, there are three ways to disable or remove the Reading List from Chrome. The first is to use an extension, the second is to use the keyboard shortcut, and the third is to use the menu. Each method has its own benefits and drawbacks, so choose the one that best suits your needs.
How Do I Re-Enable The Chrome Reading List?
Open Google Chrome And Type Chrome://Flags In The Search Bar. Look For Reading List And Select The Enabled Option From The Dropdown Menu On The New Page.
Why Does Chrome Have A Reading List?
Chrome Includes A Reading List As An Inbox For Links, Allowing You To Mark Them As Read Once You’ve Done Reading Them.
How Do I Stop The Reading List From Popping Up On My Mac?
You’re Presumably Using Safari On A Mac. To Disable The Reading List, Select View From The Upper Menu Bar In Your Safari Browser And Choose Hide Reading List Sidebar From The Drop-Down Menu.
How Do I Clear My Reading List?
In The Reading List, Right-Click To Remove An Item. Without A Mouse, Use Command + Click And Select “Clear All Items” To Clear Everything At Once.