There is no doubt that Chrome is the best and the fastest browser to date. But, its efficiency comes at the price of excessive memory usage. After all, if you want all your programs, extensions, or plugins to work effectively, it’s a small price to pay. Still, if you wish to reduce Chrome memory usage, then you can follow the solutions provided in this guide.
Solutions To Reduce Chrome Browser Memory Usage
- Close The Unused Tabs
- Switch Off Live Caption
- Restrict Background Activities
- Use Task Manager To Track Activities On Your System
- Make Use Of Clean Up Tool On Chrome
- Switch Settings From Enhanced Protection To Standard Protection
- Update Chrome To Latest Version
- Enable Ad Blocker
Solutions To Reduce Chrome Memory Usage
1. Close The Unused Tabs
When you work on several tabs, you might forget to close the unused tabs. As a result, such tabs end up consuming your RAM. So, the foremost step to reduce Chrome memory usage is to close the unused tabs. But, sometimes, due to excessive memory usage, Chrome can stop responding. In such cases, you need to close all the current tabs. To close all the tabs at once:
- Tap on the Alt key and F4 key together. This action will close all the tabs on Chrome.
- Also, to restore the recently closed tabs, press Ctrl key+Shift key+T together.
It is the best workaround for situations when Chrome gets stuck. You can also choose to close a single tab at once. There’s a close button next to the tab option in the top section, next to the name. It is the cross icon that you see. But for that, you will have to individually close each tab.
2. Switch Off Live Caption
The Live caption is an auto transcription feature that Chrome has introduced recently. But this feature is not useful to many users and also uses a lot of resources. Most of the time, it’s switched on because of the default settings of Chrome. Thus, it’s beneficial to disable this feature. To do so, you can perform the following steps:
- Tap on the three dots on the top right corner of Chrome to open the Chrome Menu.
- Now from the menu, click on the Settings option.
- Open the Accessibility option from the Advanced tab.
- You will see the Live Caption option on the screen; switch it off to disable it.
Disabling the Live Caption feature will improve the functioning of your system. Also, it will reduce Chrome memory usage.
3. Restrict Background Activities
If you are a Chrome user, then it’s quite clear that you might be using several extensions and plugins. This extra software that is attached to Chrome consumes more memory space. As a result, you may encounter errors in the smooth functioning of your system. To overcome this situation, you need to track applications running in the background. So, follow these directions to stop programs that are running without your knowledge:
- Open the Chrome menu by clicking on the dot at the top right corner.
- From the menu bar, select the Settings option.
- Open the System option from the Advanced tab.
- Many options will appear in front of you. Look for the Continue running background apps when Chrome is Closed option.
- Once you find the option as mentioned above, switch it off.
By following these instructions, you restrict your system from running background applications. Thus, the background applications will also shut down when you close Chrome.
4. Use Task Manager To Track Activities On Your System
If you can’t figure out which tab is consuming the most space, then you can do so with the help of Task Manager. Chrome’s Task Manager monitors all the activities. It also provides information about which task or tab is using most of the resources. You can also close the process or tab that’s consuming too much space. So, if you want to track the activities on Chrome or close the tabs then follow these steps:
- Launch Chrome browser on your PC.
- Now tap on the Shift Key along with the Esc Key to open Task Manager on Chrome.
- Find the option “Highest CPU Usage Task” in the list and select it.
- After selecting that process, tap on the End Process option to close the program.
After performing the steps mentioned above, your PC will function in an efficient manner. But, if you still encounter any sort of technical glitch, then try to reboot the system.
5. Make Use Of Clean Up Tool On Chrome
Clean-up activity always works best in cases when you need to reduce memory usage. Chrome has an inbuilt tool known as the Cleanup tool to make things easier for you. It helps you to remove or clean up all the software that is harmful to your system. So, if you want to reduce Chrome memory usage, then you need to use this tool. To use this tool, follow these simple steps:
- Take the cursor to the top right corner and click on the three vertical dots.
- Now, click on the Settings option from the drop-down menu.
- Tap on the Reset and Clean up option available in the Advanced tab.
- Several options will appear in front of you. Click on the Clean up computer option.
- Finally, select the Find option so that the clean-up process can start.
The cleanup process will take a while, and it will provide you with the report. After the completion of the process, Chrome will use less memory to perform its tasks.
6. Switch Settings From Enhanced Protection To Standard Protection
Google Chrome is the most popular browser all over the world. As a result, security is of great concern for its creators and users. You can find various inbuilt safety features in Chrome.
One such feature is Safe Browsing. This feature helps you to browse on Chrome without worrying about dangerous websites. If you enable this feature, then it warns you beforehand about any malicious activity.
But, this feature is not so efficient when it comes to memory usage. To make it use lesser resources and space you need to switch it to Standard protection. So, if you want to enable standard protection, follow these steps:
- Open the Chrome menu by clicking on the three vertical dots in the top right corner.
- Go to the Settings.
- In the left pane, you will find Privacy and Security option, tap on it.
- Now click on the Security Option.
- Change the settings to Standard Protection from Enhanced Protection.
If you carry out the above steps then they will reduce the excess and unnecessary usage of memory.
7. Update Chrome To Latest Version
For uninterrupted functioning of the Chrome browser make sure that you have updated it. After all, the updated versions are always the improved ones that work in an efficient way.
Not to mention, every updated version consumes less memory. Most of the time Chrome gets updated by default in the background. But if for some reason yours is not updated, follow these steps:
- Launch Google Chrome Browser on your system.
- Take the mouse pointer to the three vertical dots at the top right corner and tap on it.
- A drop down menu will appear, take the pointer to the Help option. Again a small menu will appear, select About Google Chrome from the options.
If you are using the updated version then a blue encircled tick mark will appear. But if your Chrome is not updated then you might see a green, orange or red-colored icon.
- To update, select the Update Google Chrome option which is visible on the screen.
Once you have updated the browser, relaunch it to use the latest version.
Keep in mind, you won’t find the Update Google Chrome option only if your browser is already updated.
8. Enable Ad Blocker
One of the most overlooked factors that increase memory usage is the pop-up ads on websites. Chrome already uses a lot of space and resources of your system and these pop-up ads add to it. So, to overcome this situation you need to block the ads. You can do so by performing the following steps:
- Open the website on which you want to block the ads.
- Click on the padlock icon which is on the left of the URL bar.
- A drop-down menu will appear, click on the Site Settings option.
- A new tab will open with extra settings. Search for the Ads option.
- On the right side of the Ads option you will see a box, click on it and a list of options will appear.
- Select the Block option to enable the ad-block settings.
Once you have followed the above-mentioned steps, you will notice that the ads no longer appear. But, if it doesn’t happen then refresh the webpage.
Conclusions – Use Less Chrome Extension Memory Usage
So, these were some of the effective solutions that can help you to reduce Chrome memory usage. Besides, excess consumption of resources by Chrome can damage your system. It can result in system malfunction or battery drainage. Thus, to avoid such a situation you should keep the memory usage by Chrome in check.
Also, you can optimize Chrome’s settings in a way that it uses less memory. You can also perform the above steps if you encounter minor glitches while using Chrome. But, if you continue to experience system glitches, then you need to seek help from a professional.
FAQs – Google Chrome Settings To Use Less Memory
Why Should You Remove Memory Usage From Chrome?
Chrome could be responsible for technical glitches or system malfunction. Thus, for the better functioning of the system it’s crucial to remove Chrome’s memory usage
Which Browser Uses The Least RAM?
Browsers that are leading in the department of using the least RAM are Opera and Microsoft Edge. To be precise, Microsoft Edge takes up to 790 MBs of space if you open 10 tabs. While Opera uses 899 MBs for the same.
Why Does Chrome Use So Much RAM?
Chrome is popular among the masses because it supports various software. In other words, there is hardly any extension or plugin that won’t work on Chrome. So, if you attach extensions and plugins in Chrome, it will use an excessive amount of RAM.