So, you’re chatting or streaming on Discord and you see your Discord application’s icon that has changed a bit. There is a red dot on the Discord icon.
Anyone new to Discord would freak out and might think that their Discord account got disabled or any server blocked them. Fortunately, those assumptions would be incorrect.
What Does the Red Dot on Discord Icon Mean?
The red dot on Discord icon on the taskbar or notification area means that you have unread messages on Discord. We don’t know if the Discord app icons need a bit of updating, but the red dot on Discord does scare people off who see it for the first time.
For clarity, we will explain the two kinds of red dots on Discord you will mostly see.
Unread Messages Notification Icon
When you see a Discord icon with a red dot on your Windows, Mac, or Linux taskbar or the notification area, it means you have unread messages. This is useful when you’re using something else and someone messages you.
Because right then, the red dot on the Discord application’s icon will signal that there is a new message to read. Once you have read the unread messages, the red icon will disappear.
Do Not Disturb Discord Icon
There is another type of red dot on the Discord icon. It has a small black line on it. Its meaning is completely different from the above one. If you see it on your or someone else’s avatar, it means that they have activated the Do Not Disturb status.
Notifications and red badges are turned off when Do Not Disturb is activated. Other statuses on Discord are Online, Idle, and Invisible. You will also find an option to set a custom status on Discord.
How To Remove the Red Dot Notification Icon on Discord Using Windows and Mac?
Being notified of new messages is helpful, but what if you don’t want to see the red icon on your Discord icon? Perhaps you don’t want notifications from the Discord app only, or you have been thinking lately that these red dots are taking over your life because whenever you see a notification red dot, you feel the urge to open the app and read the notification.
And this is why you want to turn off red dots and notification badges. Whichever the case may be, here is how to remove the red dot on Discord icon.
- Read The Messages
- Mark All Notifications as Read on an Individual Discord Server
- Mute Notifications of a Specific Discord Server
- Change Your Online Status to a Red Dot with a Line (Do Not Disturb)
- Remove the Red Dot from the Notifications Area/Taskbar of Your OS (Permanent Solution)
- Turn Off the ‘Enable Unread Messages Badge’ Option from Discord Settings (Permanent Solution)
Method 1: Read The Messages
This is pretty self-explanatory! You can read the unread messages to remove the Discord icon’s red dot that’s annoying you. But if you are a part of a few Discord servers and are active on the platform, you will find out that this method is not helpful because the messages are too many to read.
It will work only if you read all the messages, even the old ones that you can’t or don’t want to read. This is why we have other methods on the list. Jump to Method 3 for a better solution.
Method 2: Mark All Notifications as Read on an Individual Discord Server
Let’s go a level up! You can mark the notifications as read to remove the red messages logo (if the red was due to the messages on that server only). This is better if you are already caught up to the happenings on the server and want to mark everything as read.
But, again, if you’re active on Discord, this method may be pretty useless because when you’ll mark everything as read, soon you will see the red dot again because of the new unread chats. Moreover, you may need to do this for every server to remove the red dot if you have notifications from multiple Discord servers.
To mark all the channels in a single Discord server as read, press Shift + Esc when on the server. You can also right-click the server icon and select ‘Mark As Read’. This is also possible for a specific channel in a server. Right-click the channel and choose ‘Mark As Read’.
Method 3: Mute Notifications of a Specific Discord Server
So, there’s an extremely active server, and you don’t want the red dot on Discord icon to appear for activities on that server? Most of us have a couple of these kinds of servers. You can use the mute option to prevent them from disturbing you. When muted, you won’t get notifications from that server.
- Right-click the server you want to mute.
- Take your mouse cursor to ‘Mute Server’.
- Select the muting period. If you want to mute indefinitely, select ‘Until I turn it back on’.
You can also mute an individual channel by right-clicking the channel and following the above steps.
Method 4: Change Your Online Status to a Red Dot with a Line (Do Not Disturb)
If you don’t want to receive notifications for the happenings on Discord servers and you also want others to know that so they don’t bother you, use the Do Not Disturb status.
When activated, you won’t get new notifications on Discord until you change your status. Moreover, people can see the Do Not Disturb icon (a red dot with a line) on your profile picture/avatar.
Here’s how to turn on Do Not Disturb on Discord and mark messages as read to, potentially, remove the red dot.
- Click your avatar on Discord at the bottom.
- Choose ‘Do Not Disturb’.
- Now right-click a server and select ‘Mark As Read’. Do this for the servers that have unread messages.
Method 5: Remove the Red Dot from the Notifications Area/Taskbar of Your OS (Permanent Solution)
This is an interesting method because, with it, you can remove the red dot on the Discord icon without reading the messages or muting the servers. Your computer’s system settings have the option to turn off app badges to enjoy a distraction-free experience.
This will permanently turn off the red dot on the Discord icon. The downside to this method for Windows is that it will turn off badges for all the apps.
Get Rid of the Red Dot on the Discord logo for Windows
- Click Start and go to Settings. You can also type ‘Settings’ and click it.
- Choose ‘Personalization’.
- Now from the side panel, select ‘Taskbar’.
- Find ‘Show badges on taskbar buttons’ and click the toggle to turn it off.
How To Hide the Red Notifications Badge of Discord on Mac?
- Open the Apple menu and click ‘System Preferences’.
- Select ‘Notifications’.
- It will show you the installed apps. Select ‘Discord’ and uncheck the box next to ‘Badge app icon’.
Method 6: Turn Off the ‘Enable Unread Messages Badge’ Option from Discord Settings (Permanent Solution)
So, you’re sure you don’t want to see the red dot on Discord and are looking for a way to disable this anxiety-inducing red dot permanently. Perform this from the Discord application’s settings. But you can accomplish something similar by using Method 4. What’s new in this method? This method doesn’t turn off badges for all apps but only for the Discord application (I can hear Windows users exclaiming).
Once turned off, the red dot will disappear instantly and permanently (unless you decide to enable this option).
- Click the settings icon on Discord near your avatar.
- Find ‘Notifications’ in the side pane to select it.
- Turn off the toggle for ‘Enable Unread Message Badge’.
- If you want to turn off notifications for Discord, toggle off the button for ‘Enable Desktop Notifications’.
How To Turn Off Red Dot on iPhone, iPad, and Android Devices
Sick of seeing the red badge on the Discord app icon on your smartphone and want to remove it? Use these methods:
- Read the Messages
- Mark All the Notifications as Read on a Discord Server
- Mute the Notifications and Badges of a Specific Discord Server
- Change Your Status to ‘Do Not Disturb’
- Turn off the Discord Red Dot and Notifications from Android or iOS Settings (Permanent Solution)
Method 1: Read the Messages
We know it’s obvious, but if you’re not looking for tweaks, you can read the messages to make the red dot disappear. If this seems impossible because of the number of messages you have and the new messages are piling up at lightning speed, go to Methods 4 and 5.
Method 2: Mark All the Notifications as Read on a Discord Server
If your goal is to read the messages without reading, you can mark them as read on an individual server or channel to accomplish that. This will remove the red badge on the Discord icon, temporarily.
- Open your Discord app.
- From the list of your joined channels, long-tap a channel.
- Tap ‘Mark As Read’.
Method 3: Mute the Notifications and Badges of a Specific Discord Server
If you want to take a break from a super active Discord server that is mostly the cause of the red dot, you can mute it for good. You won’t get any notifications and won’t see the unread badge for the channel you select.
- Open your discord app and long-press the channel you need to mute.
- Select ‘Notifications’ from the small list.
- Tap ‘Mute [Channel name]’.
- Select the duration for muting the channel. Choose ‘Until I turn it back on’ to mute the channel indefinitely.
Method 4: Change Your Status to ‘Do Not Disturb’
Wouldn’t it be nice if you could subtly tell people on Discord that you’re doing something and don’t need distractions? The Do Not Disturb status does just that.
Moreover, you won’t be bothered with notifications as long as your Do Not Disturb status is active. It’s not proven that this status removes the red badge, but it does reduce distractions by muting Discord notifications.
- On the Discord app, tap your avatar at the bottom-right corner.
- Tap ‘Set Status’ when in User Settings.
- Select ‘Do Not Disturb’.
Method 5: Turn off the Discord Red Dot and Notifications from Android or iOS Settings (Permanent Solution)
So, you don’t want to see the red badge on the Discord app altogether and you need a permanent fix? Why not turn off notifications for Discord from your phone’s settings. If you turn it off, Discord won’t show the red dot and notifications (if selected) and will let you do your stuff peacefully.
Turn off the Red Dot on Discord App Using an Android Phone
- Swipe down from the top and navigate to Settings.
- Choose ‘Apps & notifications’.
- Tap ‘See all apps’.
- Find ‘Discord’ and select it.
- Tap ‘Notifications’ when in Discord settings.
- Look for ‘Allow notification dot’ and turn it off.
- To turn off Discord notifications, toggle off ‘Show notifications’.
Disable the Red Dot on Discord Using iPhone
- Navigate to the Settings app.
- Select ‘Notification Center’.
- Find and choose ‘Discord’.
- Toggle off ‘Badge App Icon’.
We showed you a method in the desktop version of Discord where you could disable unread badges. The Discord app for mobile doesn’t have any similar option (at the time of this writing). You can only disable the app badges from your iOS or Android system settings.
You can remove the red dot from the Discord application and your operating system’s settings on a computer. However, we will have to disable the red badges of the Discord app from the system settings only on mobile, as that would be the only option.