You’re about to open the game for completing the newest mission/level and planning strategies in your mind. But when you try to open the game, a deadly error message grabs your attention saying ‘The procedure entry point CreateDXGIFactory2 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll’.
You were about to play the game, but now you have to deal with this mess. Mostly, this error message is seen by gamers who use Steam and SweetFX. Below, we have listed the potential solutions that may fix this issue. Let’s begin!
Causes of the CreateDXGIFactory2 Error (d3d11.dll missing)
- Incorrectly installed game
- Files of SweetFX
- Corrupted DXGI.dll file in the game’s folder
- Incompatible new update of the graphics driver
- Outdated graphics driver
- Corrupted system files
Fixes for the Procedure Entry Point CreateDXGIFactory2 Could Not Be Located Error
A big shout out to the Steam community as some of the fixes was suggested by the amazing people there.
- Rename the dxgi.dll File to d3d11.dll for Solving the Entry Point Not Found Error
- Copy the dxgi.dll File from System32 to the Games Folder
- Use the Reshade File (dxgi.dll Download)
- Uninstall SweetFX from the Game Directory
- Reinstall SweetFX
- Roll Back Graphics Card Driver Updates
- Uninstall GeForce Experience from Your Computer
- Update Your Windows
- Run an SFC Scan
1. Rename the dxgi.dll File to d3d11.dll for Solving the Entry Point Not Found Error (From Steam Community)
Many users on the Steam community have confirmed that changing the name of the dxgi.dll file to d3d11.dll can fix the Steam entry point not found issue. Note that the dxgi.dll file is one of the files of SweetFX. If you never copied SweetFX files to the game’s folder, you might not find the dxgi.dll file.
- Navigate to the game’s folder and find the dxgi.dll file.
- Right-click it, select ‘Rename’, and type d3d11.dll.
- Close the folder, refresh once, and now try playing the game.
2. Copy the dxgi.dll File from System32 to the Games Folder (From Steam Community)
The CreateDXGIFactory2 error is related to the dxgi file so the next thing we’ll do is to replace the dxgi file on your game’s folder with the one from the System32 folder of your Windows.
Why? Because it’s possible that the file is corrupted or buggy and causing this error. So, replacing it with another from the Windows system folder may fix the problem. Follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer and go to C:\Windows\System32.
- Click the search box at the top right, type ‘dxgi’, and press enter.
- Right-click the ‘dxgi.dll’ file and select ‘Copy’.
- Navigate to your game’s folder. Right-click on an empty area of the folder and choose ‘Paste’.
- The copying option will ask you to skip or replace the file. Select ‘Replace the file in the destination’.
- Refresh or restart your computer and try playing the game.
3. Use the Reshade File (dxgi.dll Download)
A file from Reshade has been reported to magically fix the entry point not found issue. We will download a file from Reshade and move it to the game’s directory/folder. After that, we’ll rename it to dxgi.dll.
For this, you may also need another program ‘WinRAR’ to open the .exe file from Reshade without running. Follow these steps:
- Open your web browser and go to Reshade.
- Download the Reshade exe file.
- Now go to WinRAR, download the latest version, and install it.
- After this, find the Reshade exe file (mostly in the downloads folder), right-click it, and select ‘Open with WinRAR’. It will be opened in a new window.
- Go to the game’s folder and bring the opened WinRAR window at the front. Click the ‘Reshade64.dll’ and drag it to the game’s folder.
- Rename the ‘Reshade64.dll’ to ‘dxgi.dll’ and confirm.
- Close the opened windows and folders. Now open the game’s folder again and play the game.
4. Uninstall SweetFX from the Game Directory
Granted that SweetFX improves the graphics of games, it can cause problems as well such as this dxgi.dll missing error message. So, try uninstalling SweetFX to see if it fixes the issue.
Now SweetFX is portable and you copy-paste its files to the game’s folder. To uninstall it, we will simply delete the SweetFX files from the game’s directory.
- Open the folder where your game is saved.
- Press and hold CTRL on your keyboard and select the files shown in the image below by clicking them once.
- When selected, release the CTRL key.
- Press right-click and select ‘Delete’.
- Go to ‘Recycle Bin’ and delete the files from there as well.
5. Reinstall SweetFX
Any file of the SweetFX could be corrupted which might be triggering the error message. If you like SweetFX and don’t want to delete it, try reinstalling it.
- Delete the SweetFX files by following the steps in Fix 4.
- Open your web browser, search on Google ‘SweetFX download’.
- After downloading, find it in your downloads. It would be a compressed file.
- To open the file, download WinRAR by searching on Google ‘WinRAR download’, and install it.
- Open the SweetFX file. Now drag and drop all the items in this file to your game’s folder.
6. Roll Back Graphics Card Driver Updates
If your game was running alright before but recently you begin seeing the Windows dll entry point error, the culprit may be the updated graphics drivers. You might ask that you never updated your graphics driver so how come they are updated and causing problems?
The Windows update feature downloads and installs graphics drivers either automatically or shows them as optional updates that you can select. In your case, Windows might have installed the new drivers that may be triggering the error.
To fix this, we will roll back the graphics driver update. Follow below:
- Open the Start menu, type ‘Device Manager’, and select the app.
- Find ‘Display adapters’ and double click it to see the name of your display device.
- Right-click your display device and choose ‘Properties’.
- Navigate to the ‘Driver’ tab and click the ‘Roll Back Driver’ button.
- It will ask why you’re rolling back the driver. You can select any option and click ‘Yes’. But if you want the drivers to improve, select ‘For another reason’ and type ‘My game is not working with the updated driver’.
- Refresh or restart your PC.
7. Uninstall GeForce Experience from Your Computer
GeForce Experience is the additional program NVIDIA recommends to get improved features. It is only for people who have NVIDIA graphics cards or GPUs installed on their computers.
Mostly, it adds value to your overall experience, but the program can conflict with other graphics files of the game or SweetFX causing the d3d11.dll missing problem.
To avoid any conflicts, you can uninstall GeForce Experience to check if it solves the issues. Removing GeForce Experience won’t cause any graphics issues because it is an additional application on top of the necessary drivers needed for running graphics. Uninstalling it won’t uninstall the graphics drivers.
- Click Start, type ‘apps’, and select ‘Add or remove programs’.
- From the list of apps, find ‘NVIDIA GeForce Experience’.
- Select it and click the ‘Uninstall’ button.
- Follow the instructions on the uninstallation wizard.
- Restart your computer and run the game.
8. Update Your Windows
We mentioned in a fix that updated drivers can interrupt the game. It is true for users whose game was running fine before the update. But if you have just installed the game and it’s showing the entry point could not be located error message, then Windows Update might help.
- Click Start, type ‘Windows Update’, and click ‘Windows Update Settings’.
- On the Update window, click ‘Check for updates’.
- When it checks for updates and shows or begins downloading the updates, let it download and install updates.
- After the update, restart your computer, and check for updates again.
- Once the check is done, click ‘View optional updates’.
- Click ‘Driver updates’.
- Checkmark any updates related to graphics and select ‘Download and install’.
- When the installation is done, restart your computer and run the game.
9. Run an SFC Scan
In case any system files are corrupted, the Direct X error (d3d11.dll missing) would never go away until you repair the corrupted files. Perform an SFC (System File Checker) scan that can check the protected system files and restore or replace the system files with a cached copy.
When running an SFC scan on Windows 8,1, 10, and 11, Microsoft recommends running a DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) scan first. Follow these steps:
- Click Start, type cmd, and select ‘Run as administrator’.
- Run a DISM scan by copy-pasting this command on the command prompt DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and hit enter.
- When the scan is complete, type sfc /scannow and press enter.
- It may take some time to scan and repair system files. If it says that it could not perform the operation, boot your computer in Safe Mode and then run the DISM and SFC scans.
- When the scans are done, restart your PC, and try running the game.
Note for users whose Windows Update tool is not working: A DISM scan uses Windows Update to download clean versions of the computed files. If your update tool is broken, insert Windows installation media (a USB or DVD with Windows installation files or ISO) and then run this command.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
Replace Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows with the location of the Windows installation media.
With the fixes mentioned above, we’ve made it easier to solve the CreateDXGIFactory2 issue. Start from the first fix and hope for the best!
To fix the entry point that could not be located error message, rename the dxgi.dll file on the game’s folder to d3d11.dll. If this doesn’t work, apply these solutions:
Copy the dxgi.dll file from C:\Windows\System32 to the game’s folder.
Delete SweetFX files from the games’ directory.
Roll back any new graphics driver updates.
Run an SFC scan for restoring Windows files.
What does DXGI stand for?
DXGI stands for Microsoft DirectX Graphics Infrastructure. It works as a medium to let games communicate with the graphics card. Games that require a version of DirectX would not run without it.
Where is DXGI dll located?
The dxgi.dll file is located in the System32 folder of Windows. Its path is C:\Windows\System32. Go to the location and type in the search bar ‘dxgi’ to find dxgi.dll. The files in the System32 folder are protected system files. This means that you need admin-level access to modify or delete them.
How do I restore a dll file in Windows 10?
If you experience a dll file error on Windows 10, run DISM and SFC scans. For DISM scan, open command prompt with admin access and copy-paste DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Make sure you’re connected to the internet when running this command. After the DISM scan, type sfc /scannow on the command prompt to perform an SFC scan. These scans fix corrupted system files.