Roblox is a gaming platform that lets users create their games and play them with other gamers. Kids love Roblox, but Chromebooks do not support it natively.
It would help if you used the hacks in our mega guide below to play Roblox on a Chromebook.
The Problem – Why can’t you play Roblox on Chromebook?
Chromebooks are lightweight devices optimized for fast browsing and doing school work. But, they are not designed for playing games. So, it isn’t easy to play Roblox on them.
What is Roblox – What’s the Craze about?
Roblox is a massively multiplayer online (MMO) platform where users create games and share them with the community.
You can create exciting virtual worlds, characters, and rules in various genres like RPGs (Role-Playing Games), puzzles, and racing games. Also, creators can express their personalities by customizing Avatars – add stylish clothes, haircuts, faces, gear, and hats.
So, Roblox is extremely popular among kids. But even adults like to unleash their imagination with it. Also, Roblox has cross-platform support to make multiplayer gaming more fun – you can play it on Windows, macOS, iOS, Xbox, and as a VR version.
You should use our methods below to play Roblox on your Chromebook.
The Mega List of How to Play Roblox on your Chromebook Hacks
- Emulate with Browserstack
- Install Roblox from the Google Play Store
- Play Roblox on a Remote Computer
- Play Roblox on Linux on your Chromebook
- Play Roblox on Chromebook using Crossover
- Play Roblox using an APK file
1. Use Browserstack to Play Roblox on Chromebook
- Pros – Easy and quick: login to Browserstack website and play Roblox.
- Cons – Poor performance and lags
Browserstack is an online service to test apps across different platforms using emulators. So, you can use Browserstack to play Roblox on your Chromebook.
But, Browserstack is meant for testing. Also, Roblox releases new patches frequently. So, you will not enjoy a good playing experience with Browserstack.
2. Install the Roblox Android App from the Google Play Store
- Pros: The Roblox Android app provides superior performance and a good frame rate for a better gaming experience
- Cons: Not all Chromebooks have Play Store support
Newer Chromebooks (2017 and later) have built-in Play Store support. Also, software updates enable Play Store support on many older Chromebook versions.
So, to use this method, you should first update your Chrome OS and check if your device supports Play Store.
To update Chrome OS:
- Click on time in the bottom right corner
- Open Settings by clicking on the gear icon
- Click on the About Chrome OS on the bottom left.
- Click on Check for Updates under the Google Chrome OS option.
- If an update is available, Chromebook will automatically download it.
To check if your Chromebook has Play Store support.
- Click in the bottom right
- Click on the gear icon to open Settings
- Click on Apps
- Click on the TURN ON button to enable Google Play support.
Next, install the Robflox Android app.
- Open Play Store
- Type Roblox in the search bar
- Select Roblox from the list of games that pops
- Once Roblox downloads, it auto-installs
- After the installation completes, launch the game by clicking on the Roblox icon in the Launcher button.
Pro Tip: If you see black lines, enable GPU Acceleration under Chrome Flags to remove them.
If your Chromebook does not support Google Play Store, you should try the methods below.
3. Playing Roblox on a Remote Computer
- Pros: You can enjoy the full-blown Windows/macOS Roblox app
- Cons: This method will not work if you are on a slow network
You can play Roblox via a remote session on any Windows/macOS computer.
- Install and launch the Chrome Remote Desktop app on your Chromebook
- Install and launch the Chrome Remote Desktop Host app on a remote PC or Mac
- Follow along with the on-screen instructions on your devices to set up the remote connection
You can now play Roblox on the remote Windows/macOS computer from your Chromebook.
Pro Tip: If you want a one-off Roblox remote playing session, you can connect to the remote computer as Remote Assistance. You do not need the Chrome Remote Desktop Host in this case.
4. Play Roblox by Installing Linux on Your Chromebook
- Pros: This may be your only option if you have an old Chromebook.
- Cons: Slightly complex setup, performance can take a hit
You can install Linux on your Chromebook and then play Roblox on it via either a Virtual Machine or a compatibility layer like WineHQ.
- First, set up Linux on your Chromebook. You can follow the official Google guide to set up Linux on Chromebook here.
- If you want to run Roblox from inside a virtual machine (VM), you should now set up a Windows or macOS VM inside your Linux environment. For this, you can use any common VM tool like VMWare or Virtual Box.
- A better way is to use the Wine compatibility layer to run Windows apps from Linux. Please install the latest stable release of Wine from their website here.
- Download the Roblox Windows app from the Roblox website.
- Launch Roblox by running the Roblox.exe through WineHQ.
Pro Tip: VMs consume lots of resources. WineHQ bypasses the VM route by translating Windows calls into Linux ones on the fly to provide better performance.
5. Play Roblox on Chromebook Using Crossover
- Pros: Crossover provides an easy interface to run Windows apps on Linux smoothly
- Cons: Crossover is a paid tool
If you find the WineHQ method too complex, you can use Crossover instead. Crossover is a paid software that fine-tunes WineHQ and provides an easy interface to do the same thing.
- Download Crossover from their official site.
- Install Crossover from Linux on your Chromebook
- Download the Roblox.exe for Windows from the Roblox download site and save it inside the Linux Files folder
- Launch Crossover and click Install Windows Software
- Navigate to the Roblox.exe file location and click on Unlisted > Select installer > Choose Installer files to run Roblox
6. Play Roblox by Installing it from the APK file
- Pros: You can enjoy the superior performance of the Roblox Android app even if your Chromebook does not have Play Store support
- Cons: Uses third-party software, so it carries security risks
If you cannot access Google Play Store on your Chromebook, you can install its Android app using the APK file.
You must install the Arc Welder browser extension to run Android APK files.
- Download and install the Arc Welder extension
- Download the Roblox APK file
- Launch Arc Welder. Click on Choose
- Navigate to the folder in which you saved the Roblox APK file
- Click on Add your APK
- Select the Roblox APK file. Click on Open to install Roblox.
Pro Tip: Different systems support different APK files. You might need to try a few APK files before finding a good match.
Roblox is an addictive platform that brings the modern “prosumer” mindset to the gaming world. Also, users can create and share games with other community members.
Chromebooks do not support Roblox out of the box. But you can use the methods in our guide to playing Roblox on Chromebooks.
How to play Roblox on a school Chromebook when blocked?
You can use a good VPN service to play Roblox if your school blocks it on your Chromebook. You can read our guide on how to unblock your school Chromebook (link to discord article)
Can you play Roblox on any Chromebook?
New Chromebooks (2017 and later) support Google Play Store so you can play Roblox on them. You should try our other methods for older Chromebooks, but they might not work on some models.
Why is Roblox blocked on Chromebook?
Your school blocks Roblox so that you focus on your studies. Also, Chromebooks are lightweight devices for fast browsing and school work on the go. So, there is no Roblox app for Chromebooks.
Why won’t Roblox work on Chromebook?
Roblox won’t work on Chromebook if you use an old version of either Chrome OS or the Google Play Store. Also, the Roblox Android app does not work with Bluetooth mice.