Payday 2 is the second issue in the PayDay series developed by Overkill Software, SUMO digital, and Starbreeze Studios. The first installment was published by 505 games with the title “Payday: The Heist” in 2011. Payday 2 was released in 2013 for platforms like Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.
Payday 2 is a co-op FPS (First Person Shooter) that includes Role-playing game features. A maximum number of four people can play together to carry out an in-game heist. This action-packed FPS has a very positive gamer review on Steam.
This game offers compatibility with Virtual Reality (VR) gaming, which allows enthusiastic gamers, with high-end Geforce 10 series GPUs or better, to play with their VR headgear.
This game allows the modding of its features, which makes the game even more interesting. And this article covers everything you need to know about Payday 2 mods.
As the title itself suggests, the game involves planning and carrying out heists with the four key characters from the first chapter – Dallas, Chains, Hoxton and Wolf. You can connect with your friends and rob places in-game.
The planning, performing, and closing of the heist process is very interesting itself. If you are looking for a game to play with your three other friends, you can always rob banks together in Payday 2. Or if you prefer gaming on your own, you can play the Story mode.
Modding in Payday 2
Like most other PC games, Payday 2 allows users to mod their game to make the game appear the way they want it to. This game was launched in 2013 and we have come a long way. Mod designers have been at work for years now.
So this should mean that there are mods for giving your game an excellent facelift or a wonderful visual upgrade. There are mods that give your character a customized appearance or enable the ray tracing feature in the game with a mod.
Now, the problem with these mods is that they may not function properly when you run the game. This may not give you the user experience that you expect, when you add a mod that you find interesting, to the game.
If you have some Payday 2 mods and are looking to add them to your game, we will tell you how to do it. And if you have problems when you add the mods to the game, we have got you covered.
Types of Mods in Payday 2
There are a lot of mods available for Payday 2 players. It would be easier if they are sorted out into the types of mods they are.
- Improvised Bots – Bots are game characters controlled by the computer. These are the enemies you have to fight against when you are not playing multiplayer games. Some mods make the bots better with a weapon and harder to fight against. Anyone who is looking for a more challenging version of the game can add this mod.
- Hacker-Banning mods – Some hack mods are installed into the game and somehow pass through the cheat-check. While most of these are banned, there are some mods that are not orthodox to use in the game. For example, the Carry Stacker mod and the Silent Assassin mod are not approved by the Payday 2 mods community. Non-Cheating mods are designed specifically to kick people out if they use unorthodox mods in the game.
- The Crackdown mod – This mod changes the Death Sentence feature of the game to make it easier to play with a team and not alone. Enemies become more intelligent as they are handed better attack strategies.
- The Down Counter mod – This mod displays the number of downs every player has. In addition to that, it displays how many downs they have until they are taken into custody if enabled.
- Improved Fast.Net – Under default settings, the Crime.Net tasks are displayed all over the game map. This mod puts them all for viewing on a browser.
- Flashing Outline – This mod places flashing outlines around players that you can Inspire, for you to locate them easily.
- Enhanced Offline Gaming – In this mod, a few online features like applying skins and using the chat are shared when your Steam account is not online. You get Captain Winters in Singleplayer as a bonus, in this mod.
- Toggle to interact – This mod permits the player to press the assigned key only once to interact with interactable objects in the game. Usually, people have to press and hold the mapped key to interact with objects. This mod makes it easier to play as it saves some in-game time that can be used productively. This is a very valuable asset to people who play with their VR headsets.
- VR mods – Some mods are useful only when you play the game while you are connected to a VR headset. Some mods fix the teleportation bug which appears when you jump or sprint. A crouch button is provided so that you do not have to keep crouching in real life. Some VR mods let users use PC-exclusive weapons like crossbows.
Adding mods in Payday 2
To start modding, we need a tool that does the modding for you. Because it is almost impossible for us to make changes in the game file data. We recommend using the SuperBLT, which is a mod-manager tool that helps with the addition of mods, exclusively for Payday 2.
This allows you to make changes in the game files, like replacing a sign or sound in the game with an image and custom sound of your own. This does not mess with bundles like a few other modification tools, which can cause the game to crash or not function properly.
If you already knew about the BLT tool, you will understand that SuperBLT is the next-gen BLT software. You can download or update the BLT tool on the SuperBLT website.
These are the steps to add Payday 2 mods on your PC with the SuperBLT tool:
- Download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package (x86) from the Microsoft support site. This is better known as its short-form VC Redist x86.
- Then download the Latest DLL release and drop it in the Payday 2 folder.
- Run the game.
- You will be required to download the base mod before you can start applying other Payday 2 mods to your game.
If you were using the Vanilla BLT, previously, it is important that you delete the IPHLPAPI.dll and the mods/base.
The IPHLPAPI.dll is the dll for the vanilla BLT. If it co-exists with the SuperBLT files, it will cause the arousal of conflicts while running the game. The mods/base is replaced by another file when the SuperBLT is installed. Keeping this will cause problems and so it has to be discarded.
Things to do/keep in mind while modding
There are a few things that you need to remember while you apply Payday 2 mods to the game. If some of these are not followed properly, you may have a hard time making things work properly once again.
- Add the mods one by one.
- Check if the one you added recently works before you add more mods.
- Testing mods in-game can take a lot of time. Patience is a virtue.
- Make copies of the original files before you start modding a project. If you don’t, you will have to download the entire game once again.
- If you are a streamer, who wishes to stream modded content, watch out before you load copyrighted files that can cause you to be evicted or demonetized.
- Start with a small project. Advanced mods are not something to initiate your modding.
What to do if mods do not work?
There are a lot of chances that your Payday 2 mods may not work the way you expect them to. This could be annoying if you did not know what to do. There are a number of reasons and fixes to implement when your mods act up or do not run at all.
These are the fixes you can try when you are facing issues with the game:
- Check if the mods are placed in the correct location.
- Remove and Reinstall the Visual C++ Redist package
- Delete the Vanilla BLT and Install the SuperBLT
- Try disabling the Compatibility mode
Fixing your Payday 2 modding issues
These are the methods and the steps involved to fix the issue when the mods do not run as expected on the Windows 10 Operating System.
1. Mods have to be properly placed
Sometimes the mods you want in your game may be misplaced, causing them to be not applied to the gameplay. This may disappoint the users, when they do not see what they were expecting to see, with a lot of excitement.
This is what you have to do, for manually placing the mods in the location, where they are meant to be.
- Open your File Explorer and go to the location where the game is downloaded. If you purchased the game via Steam, this will be your location:
C:\ Program Files (x86)\ Steam\ steamapps\ common\ payday2
- Once you are inside the Payday 2 folder, double click on the Mods folder to open it.
- Locate the mods without the mods.txt files and copy them from the folder.
- Click on the back button to return to the first Mods folder.
- Get into the Assets folder > mod_overrides folder and paste the copied files in this location. If there are no folders with the name, you can create a mod_overrides folder, manually inside the Assets folder.
- Delete the mods, which you copied earlier from the previous, original location, inside the game’s folder.
- Close the folder, launch the game and check if it works.
2. Remove and Reinstall VC Redistributable
Sometimes you just have to repair the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (x86) installed on your computer. This may be corrupt. Repairing this package will refresh the files related to the redistributable and fix the installation files.
This is how you can do the installation of the latest VC Redist version once again.
- Open the Run tool, by pressing the Windows key and the R key together.
- Type in Control and hit the enter key to launch the Control Panel. You can also open this by searching for the control panel in the search bar and opening the first result.
- Select Programs and then click on Programs and Features.
- You’ll be able to see a list of all the programs and features available on the Windows 10 PC. Locate the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.
- Select it and click on the Change button at the upper part of the Window. You can also right-click on the program and select Change.
- Select Repair in the Modify Setup screen and choose Yes, if the UAC prompts you.
- You can also choose to uninstall the package. The setup for the VC Redist x86 is available on the Microsoft website. You can always download the setup and install it again.
3. Replace Vanilla BLT with the Super BLT
The original BLT was launched many years ago and it is outdated. The latest version of this is the SuperBLT hook. This is better than the previous tool in many ways. The role of tools like these is to place the modded file in the mod_override folder, without the player having to place the file manually inside.
This saves time and effort. It is recommended that you switch to SuperBLT if you are a BLT user. The UI and the HUD are the same and it is quite easy to configure and use.
These are your steps to replace the OG BLT with the SuperBLT:
- Go to the Payday 2 installed location and delete the IPHLPAPI. dll & the mods/base folder.
- Download the SuperBLT loading hook and extract the contents to the Payday 2 installation folder.
- Launch the payday2_win32_release.exe.
- The SuperBLT will ask you to download the base modification folder.
- Choose Yes for the download to begin, through the modification manager.
- You can then download the modifications you want, add them to the game, and launch the game to enjoy the modded gameplay.
4. Disable the Compatibility Mode
The Compatibility mode lets you help applications adapt to older versions of Operating Systems. If this was enabled for Payday 2, it might be causing problems for modders to run their files on the computer.
This is how you can enable/disable the compatibility mode in a Windows 10 OS based computer:
- Locate the Payday 2 executable file.
- Right-click on it and select Properties from the pop-up menu.
- In the Properties window, click on the Compatibility Tab.
- Under the Compatibility mode, uncheck the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” checkbox.
- Select Apply and then Ok, to save the changes.
Launch the game and you will be able to see the custom changes you applied to the game.
These are everything you need to know about one of Overkill Software’s multiplayer masterpieces, Payday 2.
Check out our article on the Top 10 Best Free IP Camera Software in 2021
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Payday 2 mods allowed?
Mods are allowed in Payday 2 under the condition that they do not provide the modded player an advantage over the other players, thus ruining their game. If a mod is found to be a potential hack, the user will be banned for life.
Is Payday 2 shutting down?
There is no news from the developers about the game being shut down. However, there was talk of the game being remastered by Embattled Starbreeze in 2019.
How do I install the payday 2 mod menu?
You just have to download your desired Payday 2 mod and install it in the mod directory in the Payday 2 install location. If it is a BLT mod, you can just place it in the mod folder.
Is Mod Workshop safe?
Almost all the mods you find are safe and have nothing to worry about, but if you are a malware-phobe, you can scan it with the help of antivirus software.