The TGZ or TAR.GZ extension denotes a compressed archive file format. It is a file type that is similar to ZIP.
Although TGZ files are more common on Mac and Unix platforms, some users may require Windows to view TGZ archives.
Only a few tools can open TGZ files, which are a sort of archive file. In the following instructions, we’ll show you how to open TGZ files with ease.
To extract TGZ files, you’ll find software that you can use in this article.
For further information on some of the various free-source file archive applications that can extract and open TGZ and other archive formats, see this article.
What is a TGZ file extension?
A TGZ file extension is a compressed TAR Archive file created with the Gnu Zip (gzip) software. TAR archives are commonly used on UNIX and Linux systems to compress a group of files into a single file for easier proliferation or backup.
When mailing or uploading/downloading these files online, gzip software compresses the TAR archive to save hard disc space or minimize bandwidth costs. A.TGZ file is created as a result of this procedure. If you’re looking for instructions on how to unzip tgz files, keep reading.
How can I open TGZ files in Windows 10?
Double-click a.tgz file, or any other file on your PC, to open it. The application that is supposed to open your.tgz file will open it if your file associations are set up correctly.
It’s conceivable that you’ll need to download or buy the appropriate program.
It’s also conceivable that you have the proper application installed on your computer, but the.tgz files aren’t yet linked to it.
When you try to open an a.tgz file in this situation, you can inform Windows which application is appropriate for that file. After that, when you open a.tgz file, it will launch the relevant application.
When renaming.tgz files, or any other files, be careful not to change the extension. It does not affect the file type. A file can only be converted from one file type to another using appropriate conversion software.
Use Third-Party Archive Openers
There are multiple third-party .tgz file viewers that you can use to view any tgz file. Here we have furnished some of the most common tools that you can use to extract tgz file extension.
With over 1 billion active users, WinZip is the most popular compression utility. It also allows you to protect and backup your files in addition to compressing. Another helpful feature is file encryption, which ensures that your files are secure.
RAR, ZIP, ZIPX, 7Z, GZ, ISO, TAR GZ, TAR, IMG, TGZ, GZP, and XZ files may all be opened with WinZip in Windows 10. WinZip for Mac can handle RAR and tar.gz extension files.
- Save the TGZ file to your computer by downloading it. Your compressed file might be saved in your Documents or user directory in the Downloads folder if downloaded from the internet.
- By selecting File > Open in WinZip, you can open the compressed file. Simply double-click the file if your system has the compact file extension associated with the WinZip software.
- By pressing the CTRL key and left-clicking on the files you wish to extract, you can select all of the files in the zipped folder or just the ones you want to remove.
- In the WinZip software toolbar, under the Unzip/Share tab, click Unzip and select Unzip to PC or Cloud.
- Click the “Unzip” button after selecting a target folder for the extracted TGZ files.
- In your chosen destination folder, look for the extracted files.
7-Zip is a popular free and open-source file archiver. A program that compresses files and stores them in compressed containers called “archives.” Igor Pavlov created it, and it was initially released in 1999. 7-Zip has its archive format, 7z, but it can also read and write a .tar archive.
- However, there is no built-in solution for extracting TGZ archives in Windows 10. To open a TGZ in Windows 10, you’ll need a third-party file archiving utility.
- You can extract TGZ files with a variety of archive programs for Windows. It is how you can use 7-Zip to open a TGZ file.
- First, go to this website’s Download page and select either the 32-bit or 64-bit 7-Zip version.
- To install 7-Zip on Windows, run the installation.
- Then, as shown in the screenshot below, open the 7-Zip window.
- Within 7-Zip’s file browser, open the folder that contains your TGZ file.
- To open the Extract window right below, choose the TGZ file and press the Extract all button.
WinRAR is a Windows-based popular compression, encryption, and archiving program that can open RAR and a ZIP file extension. Many other file types are supported.
- If you want to extract TGZ files, make sure the GZ and TAR file extensions checkboxes in the WinRAR Integration panel are checked.
- When you double-click the file, it will open in WinRAR. Select the files you want to open or extract.
- At the top of the WinRAR tool window, click the “Extract To” icon.
- The TGZ file will be saved in your destination folder once you click “OK.”
Convert TGZ Files to the ZIP Format
The File Explorer in the Windows 10 has an option for extracting ZIP files. As a result, you must first convert the contents of a TGZ to the ZIP format before you can open it.
The ZIP can then be decompressed using the Extract all option. It is how you can extract TGZ files after converting them to ZIP.
- Select a TGZ archive to convert to ZIP by pressing the From Computer button.
- To convert the archive, click the Convert button.
- To save the updated ZIP archive, click Download.
- In the File Explorer feature window, open the folder that contains the converted ZIP.
- To open the Extract tab, double-click the ZIP file.
- To open the window directly below, use the Extract all button.
- Select a folder directory to extract the ZIP file by clicking Browse.
- Then select Extract from the drop-down menu.
- After that, double-click the unzipped ZIP folder to view its contents.
That’s how you can access .tar file archives with file archive utilities and without them. It’s worth noting that you can convert RAR, JAR, and LHA archive files to ZIP using the Convertio web tool.
Frequently Asked Questions
Opening RAR Files With 7-Zip?
To inspect the contents of a RAR file without extracting it, double-click it. Otherwise, double-click the RAR file, go to the top menu, select Extract, then fill in the selections for the destination extraction location and any archive password. Then, to extract the files to the desired folder, click OK.
How do I open a TGZ file in Windows 10?
Launch WinZip, go to File, then Open. Choose the TGZ file you previously saved on your computer. Click the folders and files you want to open from the TGZ file after you’ve selected all of the pieces. Click Unzip and navigate to the folder where you want the files to be saved. Examine the extracted TGZ files in the desired location.
What is the difference between GZ and TAR?
Tar is a file archiver, which can combine multiple files into a single file without compressing them. The compression program Gzip, which handles the .gz extension, is used to minimize the file’s disc space usage. Most Windows users are accustomed to compressing and archiving their files with a single software.
How do I use a TGZ file?
On your computer, save the TGZ file. Launch WinZip, go to File>Open, and choose the TGZ file you previously saved on your computer. Click the folders and files you want to open from the TGZ file. After selecting all of the pieces, click Unzip and navigate to the folder where you want the files to be saved.