What Is an RTF File?
RTF files stand for “rich text format” or “multi-text format.” Microsoft Corporation created this cross-platform document format. RTF file documents may be read and saved by most Word processing applications.
Early external parties had to pay tens of dollars to Microsoft to obtain RTF standard documents because they were a Microsoft Corporation standard document. The rich text format file format, on the other hand, is becoming increasingly popular as more software adopts the RTF format standard.
Nowadays, practically every operating system has a more feature-rich RTF-opening program. This page will provide a list of applications that will allow you to open RTF files on various operating systems.
How to open RTF documents on a Windows PC
WordPad is a free-of-cost word processor that comes pre-installed on Microsoft Windows. You may use WordPad to change fonts, insert photos, and so forth. The .RTF, .docx, .odt, .txt are supported by WordPad. WordPress uses a Different format to open an RTF file.
- When you right-click on the RTF files, you’ll see the “Open With” or similar command, which allows you to choose the open application.
- It shows a list of applications that can open RTF documents in the pop-up window. Simply choose the one you want to utilize.
- The option for “Always use this program to open.RTF files” can be selected to make that program the default reader.
- Finally, to open the file in WordPad, click the “OK” button. The editing tools in the toolbar can also be used to edit the RTF file.
2. Google Chrome
For all of your devices, Google Chrome is a fast, safe, and free browser. It contains everything you need to get the most out of the internet, including quick answers in your address bar, one-click translation, and tailored content on your phone.
You can install file extensions from the Chrome Web Store. Many Chrome extensions have access to the user’s data once they’ve been installed. The file extension can then be used to open various files such as PDF, RTF, DOCX, and so on.
- On your computer, download and install the browser.
- To add the extension to Google Chrome, go to the Chrome Web Store and search for “Docs Online Viewer,” then click the “Add to Chrome” option.
- In Chrome, go to the Docs Online Viewer page. To access the Microsoft Word document example in Google Chrome, click the “View this.docx file” button next to the sample.docx URL on that page.
- You can search the RTF file and then open it in Chrome by clicking the “View this RTF file” icon beneath one of the links, as seen below.
3. Google Drive
Google Drive is a Google-developed file storage and syncing service. It works with both the Mac Operating system and Windows, as well as mobile devices. You may also get 15 GB of free storage space from Google Drive if you don’t want to pay for a subscription. You should first log in to your Google account and save the RTF file to your Google Drive.
- Log in using your Google account on the Google Drive homepage.
- To upload the RTF file, go to “My Drive” > “Upload files.”
- Select “Open with” from the RTF file icon. You can then choose to open it in Google Docs.
- After that, you’ll head to Google Docs to look at your RTF file.
- You can also edit this page by selecting the appropriate button.
TextEdit is a free and open-source text editor and word processor. It is Mac’s built-in application. You may open and edit rich text documents created in other word processors, such as Microsoft Word and OpenOffice, with TextEdit.
- On your Mac, open the TextEdit application.
- To open the RTF file, go to “File” > “Open.” Choose “TextEdit” > “Preferences,” then click the “Open and Save” button to see RTF directives in RTF files. Finally, to open the RTF file, choose “Display RTF files as RTF code instead of formatted text.”
- You can also use Apple Pages to open RTF files.
How To Convert RTF Files?
Converting a rich text format file to PDF using Adobe Reader DC is the simplest and safest way to open an RTF file on your PC. Your file will be secure and straightforward to distribute in this manner.
You will require fewer apps installed on your system if you use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC’s many features, making it faster and more stable.
You may also convert and distribute files in and out of PDF format.
Here’s a rundown of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC’s other features:
- A vast number of file types can be opened.
- Make documents in PDF format.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word or Excel documents.
- Documents with passwords.
- Digital signatures can be added.
“Save As” Function In Microsoft Word
- On the File menu, select “Save As.”
- RTF should be saved as a PDF.
- Enter the name for your PDF file in the “Save as type” area of the saving window and select “PDF.”
- The “Optimize for” option allows you to select the quality and size of the converted file.
- Choose Standard for a high-quality PDF with a larger file size or Minimum for a lower-quality PDF with a smaller file size.
- The “Options” tab can be used to access more sophisticated options. Finally, save your RTF document as a PDF file by clicking the “Save” button.
Use The “Print To Pdf” Build-in
- Select “Print” from the “File” menu.
- Alternatively, you can use “Ctrl + P” as the keyboard shortcut.
- Choose “Microsoft Print to PDF” as the printer in the printing dialogue.
- Open a new window by pressing the “Preference” button to customize the layout of the converted PDF.
- You may change the paper size and orientation here. Press the “Print” button once you’ve completed all of the options.
- A dialogue box must appear asking you to save your work. Then press the “Save” button after choosing a storage location and entering a file name.
The article will guide you on “how to open an RTF file” in the best method possible. We recommend that you open it with the built-in application because it eliminates the need to open a browser or install the software.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can notepad open the RTF files?
Rich text documents can be opened using MS Word, Corel WordPerfect, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Notepad++, and AbiWord. To edit an RTF file in the most compatible software, go to File and select Open.
How do I open RTF files?
Because WordPad comes pre-installed on Windows, it’s the simplest way to access an RTF file. Other word processors and text editors, such as LibreOffice, OpenOffice, AbiWord, Jarte, AbiWord, WPS Office, and SoftMaker FreeOffice, work similarly.
Why Can’t I Open Rich Text Format Files?
Your computer may be attempting to open the RTF file with the incorrect application, or it may not have one installed at all. RTF files can be opened with various tools, including Rich Text Format File. You might want to try downloading one or more of these from the manufacturer’s website.