When you download a program to your computer or get an email attachment, you may receive a file with the “.rar” extension. If you’re unfamiliar with this type of file, here’s how to open RAR files on a Mac or Windows 10 PC.
RAR files are secure in and of themselves. Their aim, like zip files, is to contain additional files. However, it is important to note that the files included in the RAR file might be hazardous. In reality, fraudsters typically distribute malware using archived files such as RAR files.
Wondering how to open RAR files in Windows 10? You came to the right place, seeker. We got your back.
What is a RAR file?
A RAR file is a data container in which one or more compressed files are stored. RAR files are used by individuals and businesses to compress files in order to make them smaller. Instead of downloading several files individually, you may download them all at once this way.
In other words, RAR (short for Roshal Archive) is similar to a regular folder on your computer that you use to manage a variety of different folders, documents, photos, and other files. However, what distinguishes a RAR file from any other standard folder on your computer is that it takes special software to access its contents.
What exactly does it mean to “extract files”?
Extracting a file is the process of expanding a previously compressed file and transferring these files from a compressed document, such as a RAR file, to a different or the same directory. To grasp what extract files are, you should first understand how RAR files are created.
As previously stated, a RAR file is created by compressing many files into a single archive. You must first decompress the archive in order to view these files. The process of extracting a RAR file entails decompressing the file and relocating it to a different location where you may access its contents.
NOTE FOR THE USERS:
In general, opening a RAR file and inspecting its contents is not dangerous. However, do not extract its data until you are certain the RAR file is malware-free by running a virus scan. When you download a RAR file, you get a compressed archive that may include numerous files.
As a result, before exposing your PC to the contents of the RAR file, you should scan it to guarantee it is clean. For example, if you anticipate discovering a movie in a RAR but instead find a file with an a.exe extension, it is likely to contain malware. RAR technology is good at compressing files, thus you should not avoid it. However, you must assess the payload contained within a RAR package.
If you’ve ever worked with a ZIP file, you’ll recognize how RAR files operate. Consider a RAR file to be a folder on your computer that contains other folders and files for organizing. RAR files are distinct from regular folders in that they require the use of special software to unzip the contents.
Tools to open RAR Files in Windows 10
- Archive Extractor
On Windows 11/10, how can I open a RAR file?
- 7-Zip should be downloaded and installed.
- Navigate to your site of yours.
- Look for a contextual menu labeled “7-Zip.”
- Hover your cursor over it and choose Extract files.
- You can choose a path in the following window.
- If the RAR file is password-protected, enter it here, as well as any additional choices.
- Simply right-click the file or folder you wish to compress and select Add to archive…
- Name your archive and hit OK (you don’t need to change anything else because everything is already configured).
- And there you have it: you have produced an .rar archive, which will display next to the file/folder you compressed.
- To generate a.rar archive/file, you must first download WinRAR. Following that, it couldn’t be easier; simply follow the instructions outlined above.
When you compress a bigger file, you’ll find that it takes up less space on the disc than the original, allowing you to move it faster.
- Open the WinRAR archive from which you wish to extract files.
- Choose the files to be extracted.
- To extract, click the Extract button.
- When you create an archive, all files remain in it, regardless of whether the original is still available on your PC, so even if you delete the original file, you can still access it in the WinRAR archive.
- Select the location where you want your files to be extracted and click OK.
- Extracting.rar files from an archive to a computer is as easy as making a .rar archive, if not easier.
- Simply open the ZIP and drag the files you wish to extract to a folder on your computer.
- Using WinZip, create a RAR file.
- Navigate to File, then New Zip File, and then add the file that you wish to convert to a .rar file.
- That’s all there is to it; you now know how to use WinRAR to generate and extract.rar files. You do not need to use WinRAR exclusively for managing.rar files, but we believe it is the best option.
- If you don’t like WinRAR, you may try WinZip, which can also handle.rar files quite well.
- Choose Zip from the left-hand panel and hit OK.
- Select whatever actions you wish to activate before saving the file in the right-hand panel: Encrypt/reduce photo size/convert to PDF/additionally add a watermark
- You may generate a new zip file under Share or save Zip.
- Download the program from 7-zip.org.
- Right-click the RAR file and choose Extract All. This will open a pop-up menu.
- Then, select Unzip To. As a consequence, the application will be launched.
- If you’re using a free trial, select Use Evaluation Version when the pop-up appears.
- Select your file location from the left sidebar.
- Finally, press the Unzip button.
- When you open the RAR file, it creates a folder with the same name as the RAR file. You may view the contents of that folder by opening it.
Please keep in mind that certain RAR files are divided into many pieces for easier transfer. If this is the case, extract the first RAR file in the collection, and 7-Zip will extract the remaining files automatically.
- If you don’t need the extra features of WinRAR or 7-Zip, try utilizing ExtractNow. It’s a little program that lets you effortlessly extract numerous RAR archives at the same time. Other formats supported by the application include ZIP, 7Z, CAB, and more.
- After you’ve downloaded and installed the application (which is absolutely free), you can begin dragging and dropping several RAR archives onto the ExtractNow window to prepare them for extraction.
- Then, just click Extract and select a place to extract the RAR archive (or archives).
- You can also go into the ExtractNow Options window and change a variety of settings to customize how the software functions.
- For example, you may move to the Explorer tab and add a contextual menu choice that allows you to rapidly extract RAR archives (as well as any other compatible formats).
- However, as the name says, ExtractNow only allows you to extract compressed archives.
- Archive Extractor, in contrast to the programs mentioned above, is an online-only extraction software. It lets you post RAR archives and re-download them in extracted form, making it ideal for one-time use.
- Select the Choose File option after visiting Archive Extractor to upload files from your PC or the Google Drive and Dropbox cloud storage services. It also accepts URLs, so you can insert any downloaded link into a RAR archive and immediately download the extracted file.
Unzipping a RAR file
Unzipping is the process of opening a RAR file in your computer to view the files contained within it. Computers lack a built-in utility for opening RAR files. When you double-tap or double-click a RAR file without special software, you get an error notice or a prompt asking how you want to open the file.
Maybe you’re wondering how to unzip a RAR file on Windows 10. WinRAR, a RAR file developer’s program, is the default choice for opening such an archive. Unfortunately, it contains flaws, so you won’t have the ideal experience unzipping RAR files with it. A third-party utility is required for this for smoother and more precise processing.
Aside from unzipping RAR files on a Windows 10 PC, this particular program also allows users to unpack archives in other formats such as XAR, RPM, 7z, and Z. The procedure for unzipping RAR files in Windows 10 using the Parallels Toolbox is outlined below.
- To get the utility, go to the Parallels product website.
- Start the software.
- Using the menu bar,’ choose ‘Archiver,’ then ‘Unarchive.’
- You may either drag an archive to the new window or click ‘open and pick an archive.’
- You must input a password to unzip a password-protected RAR file.
RAR Files: How to Open Them on a Mac
- For Mac users, you must download and install The Unarchiver, a free tool that can open RAR files as well as many other types of archive files.
- Download the program from TheUnarchiver.com.
- Drag the program to Applications after opening the DMG file. The DMG file may be found in your downloads folder.
- Select Extract All from the context menu when you right-click on the RAR file. Control + Click can also be used instead.
- Hover your cursor above Open With and pick The Unarchiver.
- Double-click the RAR file to open it. A file window may pop up, allowing you to select the destination folder for your RAR folder. You may also make a new destination folder for it.
- Finally, in the lower right corner, click Extract.
The RAR format has been around for a while, but it never gained traction owing to its proprietary nature, unlike ZIP. However, because of its greater compression capabilities, you will encounter RAR on a regular basis, especially if you often download files from the internet. You’ll never have to worry about another RAR file again if you have WinRAR, 7-Zip, or Extract Now on hand.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are RAR Files Dangerous?
RAR files are not intrinsically unsafe. Their goal, like that of a ZIP file, is to contain additional files. However, the material contained within a RAR file may be dangerous; malware has been known to spread via RAR files (as well as other archive file formats). It is safe to open and examine the contents of the RAR file.
What Exactly Does It Mean To Extract A File?
The process of decompressing and relocating one or more files in a compressed file (e.g.,. zip file) to a different location is referred to as extraction.
What Is A RAR File Extension?
RAR is a proprietary archive file format that can compress data, recover from errors, and span several files. Eugene Roshal, a Russian software developer, created it in 1993, and the program is licensed by the win. rar GmbH.
What Are The Benefits Of Utilizing RAR Files?
RAR creates substantially smaller archives in roughly the same amount of time as ZIP. It also supports robust archives and makes use of a large number of little files. This is a tremendous advantage. rar; it can dramatically compress a tonne of little files by first combining them into a single large file, taking advantage of redundancies between the files.