It is very hard to type something on your computer when a single key on your keyboard fails to perform its function of displaying the letter, number, or symbol on the screen. Imagine the difficulty you will go through when you have to work when an entire section of the keyboard is not functioning.
It can be very difficult when a group of keys is as important as the numeric keypad on the right side of your QWERTY computer keyboard.
This article will tell you what to do to fix the Numeric keypad not working issue on your PC.
Ways To Resolve The Numeric Keypad Not Working Issue On Windows 10
There is no definite reason why this issue comes up. But there is no knowing when this issue will affect your keyboard.
There are nine possible procedures that can help you fix when your Numeric keypad is not working.
These are the steps that can help you fix this common bug of the numeric keypad not functioning on your computer:
- Launch the PC in Safe Mode
- Take a look at the Num lock key
- Push the Num Lock key hard
- Turn the Numeric Keypad on
- Look for hardware problems
- Update your Keyboard driver
- Disable the Mouse keys feature
- Change or Add a new keyboard
- Use the On-Screen keyboard
How to Fix Number Keys Not Working Windows 10
1. Launch the PC in Safe Mode
Booting up a PC in Safe Mode is a feature that lets the computer startup with a minimal amount of the most important features. This is not a fix to a malfunctioning numeric keypad but a way to find out what causes this issue on your Windows 10 computer.
If the keyboard works when you are operating your computer in Safe Mode, it means that this problem is caused by a corrupt keyboard driver. If a driver issue is responsible for the number keys not responding when pressed, you can just jump to the sixth method, in the list.
2. Take a look at the Num lock key
The Num lock key has to be turned on for the numeric keypad to work. You may have a small LED that lights up when the Num lock is enabled.
There is a chance that you may have pushed the num lock key when it was enabled and when you try to use it, you will not see numbers when you press the keys.
3. Push the Num Lock key hard
The num lock key can have something lodged under it. If there is, you can not push it to enable it. If you have a membrane keyboard, you can tap it on the side and try to dislodge it. If this problem is with a semi-membrane or a mechanical keyboard, you can remove the keys and clean them out.
4. Turn the Numeric Keypad on
Another possibility that can cause this issue is the Windows 10 Operating System itself. Sometimes, the OS can deactivate the numeric keypad, without any action from the user. You can turn it on again to resolve this issue.
These are the steps to re-enable the numeric keypad:
- Type Control Panel in the search bar and choose the first result to open Control Panel.
- Go into the Ease of Access settings, in the Control Panel.
- Inside this, click Ease of Access Center.
- In the following window, open the link that says “Make the keyboard easier to use”.
You can also click Change how your keyboard works option under the Ease of Access Center to take you to the same destination.
- Under the Control of the mouse with the keyboard section, remove the check from the Turn on Mouse Keys checkbox.
- Then, click on the checkbox that says Turn on Toggle Keys by holding down the NUM LOCK for 5 seconds, under the Make it easier to type section, to disable it.
- Select Apply and then Ok.
- Reboot your computer to retain these settings.
- After restarting, turn off the Numlock feature by pressing the num lock key if it is active.
- Push the Num lock key and hold it for around 5 seconds to jump-start the dedicated numeric keypad.
5. Look for hardware issues
It is possible for the keyboard to be damaged. It may be the cable, connecting pin, or the keys themselves. Sometimes the keys can be replaced.
First, try all the ports in your computer to verify that the slots are not faulty.
Then, connect your keyboard to a different computer to see if it works there. If it does, the problem lies with your computer’s port.
If it is dust that causes trouble, users can use a small blower to clean the dust.
You can also contact the keyboard manufacturer’s service team and inquire about the current state of your keyboard. If the condition is not right and you cannot locate the problem unless it is opened up, feel free to send it to a service station.
6. Update your Keyboard driver
An old driver or a corrupt one can cause a lot of problems. This could be the reason why your numeric keypad is not working. The only solutions to this are updating the outdated keyboard driver or deleting it and then reinstalling it.
These are your steps to update the keyboard driver on Windows 10:
- Type in Device Manager in the Windows search box on the taskbar and open the best result.
- As an alternate, you can also press Windows + R on your keyboard to bring up the Run utility. Type in devmgmt.msc in the open field and hit Enter to launch the Device Manager.
- Click on the Keyboards section to expand into a list of keyboard drivers.
- Locate your keyboard driver, right-click on it and select Update driver from the list of options.
- When you are in the Update wizard dialog box, we recommend opting for the OS to look for the latest driver automatically and then proceeding to install it.
You can also try to remove and install this driver again to see if it fixes your keyboard number pad:
- Follow the above steps to reach the Keyboard drivers section in the Device Manager.
- Double-click on the driver that you want to uninstall.
- In the Driver properties window, click on the Driver tab.
- Choose Uninstall Device and click Uninstall in the prompt window.
- Once the uninstallation is complete, you can download the latest computer keyboard driver version available for your keyboard from the manufacturer’s website.
7. Disable the Mouse keys feature
Mouse keys is a Windows feature that lets users control the pointer on their screen using the dedicated numeric keypad on the right side of your keyboard. If this feature is active, this may cause problems while using the numeric keypad and so you may have to disable it.
It is not possible to pinpoint that this feature is causing this problem. Only when this solution is implemented and a positive response is noticed, will you be able to know that this issue is caused by the Mouse key.
This is how you can disable Mouse keys on your PC:
- Open Settings from the left pane on the Start menu.
Press the Windows key or click on the Start button on the screen to bring it up.
- Click on the Ease of Access settings, from the Settings menu.
- From the left pane, choose the Mouse option, under the Interactions tab.
- Under the Control your mouse with a keypad section, click on the toggle switch to deactivate it.
- Close the Windows Settings and restart your computer to save the changes.
The problem should not exist after these steps.
8. Change or Attach a new keyboard
If you have a keyboard that does not have a functioning set of number keys, this may have an impact on your typing. You can get a new keyboard. We recommend getting the old one getting fixed with the help of a technician before you consider getting another one.
9. Use the On-Screen keyboard
The On-Screen Keyboard is a very useful tool that lets users utilize a keyboard on their display, with the help of their mouse. This program can be of great help if your laptop keyboard stops working or if you do not have a spare keyboard. This is not a fix for the dysfunctional numeric keypad but an alternative.
You can search for the On-Screen keyboard in the search bar and click on the first results to bring up the little keyboard on the screen.
You have to use the mouse pointer to access the buttons on your virtual keyboard.
If you need the number keys on the numeric keypad side on the On-Screen Keyboard, click on the Options menu and check the Turn on numeric keypad checkbox.
It is very important for every piece of hardware to work to use a computer without any trouble. The keyboard is an integral part of using the computer easily. It can be really tough for people who enter a lot of numbers when the number keys do not work when pushed. You need not worry when this issue comes up on your computer and you can get it fixed with the methods above.