Computer Speakers Not Working? How to Fix Having No Sound?
No sound on computer is the most common error that every one of us must have faced once or twice while using audio devices or playing audio files. So, to fix sound problems from your PC in a swifter way. Follow the steps below and quick-fix your sound problems from your computer system.
Methods to fix No Sound On Computer
- Run The Audio Troubleshooter
- Verify That All Updates Are Installed In Your Windows
- Check Your Audio Cable, Plugs, Audio Jack, Volume, Speaker, And Headphone Connections
- Check Sound Output Settings
- Check Your Speaker Output
- Fix Your Audio Driver
- Set Your Audio Device As The Default Device
- Turn Off Audio Enhancements
- Restart Audio Services
- Try Different Audio Formats
- Restart To Apply Installed Updates
- Check For IDT High Definition Audio Codec In Device Manager
- Fix Microphone Issues And Secrecy Settings Of Microphone
Run the Audio Troubleshooter
There are possibilities that your computer is having trouble locating the output device or in pairing with the output device. In this case, you can try running the audio troubleshooter to fix the pairing or connecting issue. To run the audio troubleshooter, follow the mentioned steps below:
- Open windows settings.
- Now, on the screen, you will get to see the System. Click on it!
- Once you open the system settings, you’ll notice various options on the left side of the screen. In those choose sound.
- When you do so, all the audio settings will get displayed on your screen.
- On the same, you’ll see the troubleshooting button.
- Click on Troubleshoot. And the troubleshooter will start detecting and automatically fix the issues for you.
- It may also ask you to choose a particular device for troubleshooting. Then you can select the device you’re having the problem with respectively.
- Once done, it will show the errors found and will fix them for you.
Verify that all updates are installed in your windows
It is crucial to make sure that your computer is up to date without fault, as it may cause any software crash due to incompatible version use. And similarly, your computer sound system may not function or abnormally function when your PC is outdated. So, to be assured, do a quick check if your computer system is up to date. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Open windows settings.
- On the top right corner of the windows settings screen, you’ll get to see the Windows Update option. Go and click it.
- Once you do so, the Windows Update settings will open on the screen.
- On the same screen, you’ll see the Check for Updates button. Click the button, and windows will start looking for the updates.
- If any updates are spotted, install them.
Check your audio cable, plugs, audio jack, volume, speaker, and headphone connections
Loose connections, incorrect adjuncts, and damaged wires are the foremost cause of faults. And of which we always forget to keep a note on, that further becomes a blockade for us. So, make sure to check connections before jumping off for other solutions. Do these quick checks:
- Check if the cables are joint correctly and in the right place.
- And if you are using a wireless audio device. Then do check if the device you are willing to use is connected with your computer only.
- Check the volume of the device you are using.
- Check if the speakers are receiving proper power to function.
- Lastly, check if all the connection wires are not broken and are in good condition to serve.
Check Sound Output Settings
Now the next thing we can try doing is to check the output settings on our computer. Windows gives us the privilege to disable and enable the correct device we want to use.
And, it may happen that in case you disabled the device you want to use now, or the wrong output device that you don’t want to use is the default audio device for usage. So now, we’ll check the currently functioning devices in our computer.
- Again, open Windows computer settings and open the system settings options, as we did before.
- Now, choose sound.
- Below the heading Output, you’ll see the devices used and the current audio device in usage.
- After choosing your device, open device properties by clicking the Device properties option, just below all the devices.
- Now you’ll get to see all the properties of your connected audio device.
- Uncheck the disable checkbox! If found, checked.
Check Your Speaker Output
To check the device which is currently in usage by your computer:
- Click on the speaker icon on the taskbar in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- The device which is in use will get displayed on top of the box.
- Check if the device that is currently in use is the one that you want to use. If not then, view dropbox and choose the device you want to use.
You can also check if your device is not on mute by right-clicking on the speaker icon and then click open volume mixer.
Fix your Audio Driver
Outdated drivers could cause you difficulty in the functioning of the hardware devices due to the unresponsive sound card. Drivers receive the requests from the OS of the computer and transmit the command to the associated driver.
Like in this case, it is the sound card. That helps play the audio and allows the sound driver to function. To fix the issue with your audio drivers, you need to update the audio driver or reinstall them.
To update/reinstall the audio drivers, you need to implement the following commands:
- You can directly type Device Manager on the taskbar, or you can get there from the windows settings as well.
- Once you open the Device Manager, look for the sound, video, and game controllers.
- As you click on the sound, video, and game controllers option, a new side menu will get open.
- In which all the audio devices associated with games, video, and sound each will get listed down.
- Now, you choose the system audio and open it.
- Once you open it, a new pop-up will appear on the screen. Now, shift the options from General to the Driver tab.
- And from there, you can update, roll back and uninstall the drivers.
- The uninstalled drivers will automatically get installed by the computer system.
Set your Audio Device as the Default Device
A lot of the time, the default set software and hardware cause unnecessary trouble for all. To set default your audio device, follow me along with the following steps:
- Search Control Panel on the taskbar. And, open it!
- In the control panel, open the Hardware and Sound option.
- In the Hardware and Sound option, click sound and open it.
- Now, on the playback tab. Right-click on the audio device you want to set for default and click Set as default device.
- Now, click OK!
Still, facing the “No sound on computer” issue?
Follow the next steps:
Turn off Audio Enhancements
Using audio enhancements could prove fatal in cases. So, it is better to avoid using improvements in audio for the better. To disable audio enhancement, follow the steps below:
- Again open the Control Panel and open the Hardware and Sound.
- Now, in the Hardware and Sound settings, open the sound control panel.
- In the playback tab, choose your audio device and right-click on it to proceed further.
- Once you open the device menu, open the properties of your audio device.
- And, in the properties section, choose the Advanced tab.
- In the Advanced option, you’ll get to see a checkbox for enabling the audio enhancements tab. You can now go and uncheck the box and click OK!
Restart Audio Services
To restart the audio services, open the services by searching them on the taskbar. Once you open the services window, look for these two windows audio services –
- Windows audio and,
- Windows audio endpoint builder.
If you click on it on the left side, you’ll see start/restart options. Now, you can restart the audio services from there, or you can double-click on the service and select restart. It will reboot all the audio services provided by windows.
Try Different Audio Formats
If nothing has helped you so far, then try changing the audio formats. It may help in this case. To change the audio format, obey the following commands:
- Open Control Panel and then Hardware and Sound.
- And then sound. Now in the playback tab, choose your audio device and open its properties by right-clicking on it.
- Once you open your device properties, switch to the Advanced options.
- In the advanced options, you’ll see the default format, and from there, you can choose or change the audio format for your device.
Restart to Apply Installed Updates
To restart your Windows:
- Click on the Windows icon.
- Once you click on the icon on the bottom left corner, you will get to see a power button. Click on that power button.
- Now, three options will get displayed on your screen to choose from Sleep, Shutdown, and Restart. Click Restart!
- As you click on the restart, your computer system will start rebooting.
Once the restart is over, give a quick check to your audio device if it works or not. If not, follow the below steps.
Check for IDT High Definition Audio CODEC in Device Manager
The High definition audio drivers used by your computer system may cause you unwanted errors when you update your windows recently due to the unfamiliarity of the version. So, to fix this, we need to update our High Definition Audio CODEC driver. To update the driver, obey the following steps:
- Type Device Manager on the taskbar, and open it.
- Look for sound, video, and game controllers, and click on it to open the submenu under it.
- Once you click on it, all the drivers will show up below it.
- In those, choose the High definition Audio and right-click on it to see more options, and then click update driver to update the driver.
This way, your driver will get updated.
Fix Microphone Issues and Secrecy Settings of Microphone
To fix the microphone issue. Check if your microphone is enabled. To do this:
- Open windows settings.
- Now, open the Privacy setting.
- From the left, choose Microphone settings.
- Once you open it, you’ll get to see a change button.
- Click on the change button and turn it on to allow the microphone device, if found off.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix the no sound on my computer?
To fix the no sound issue on your computer, try doing the following:
Run the audio troubleshooter.
Try restarting your computer system.
Check if your PC is up to date.
Update all audio device drivers.
Restart audio services.
Restart audio services.
How do I get sound back on my computer?
If you’re facing the no sound issue suddenly, then try restarting your computer device first. And, if that too doesn’t work. Then run the audio troubleshooter.
Why does my computer have no sound?
It could be a cause of several issues. Few primary problems are:
Outdated computer system.
Failure in transmitting the commands to the sound card.
How do I get my sound back on Windows 10?
To enable sound on your windows:
Check if your sound drivers are working fine.
Check all the connections.
Update your windows 10.
Restart your windows to apply updates.
Try restarting the audio services.
Make sure to check the windows volume. In case your speakers are just disabled or on mute.