MSVCR100.DLL files are essential for running games or graphics applications on your Windows PC. Like every other DLL file, there is a possibility of this file going missing from your PC too. For the users dealing with the MSVCR100.DLL error, it can be frustrating and confusing.
This is why we made an article about it; Containing all the potential reasons and solutions for the MSVCR100.DLL missing error, you will find it helpful. Proceed with the contents and the specific solutions below to learn more about it and fix the error.
What does the MSVCR100.dll File do on Windows?
MSVCR, which expands to Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, is a Dynamic Link Library (DLL) format file required for running games on your PC. In most cases, this file is available in the C Drive/Windows/System32. If you choose not to download it from a separate source, you can use the Visual C++ Redist installer to get it.
Factors that cause the MSVCR100.DLL missing error on Windows
DLL files can go missing on your PC for several reasons. They are listed below –
Accidentally erased DLL files
There is a chance of the DLL files being deleted by the user, by mistake. This can happen due to negligence and is not something to worry about. DLL files are very small in size and do not get permanently deleted. If this is your case, you can get it from the recycle bin, as it won’t get deleted permanently.
Interferences from the Antivirus software
The antivirus tool installed on your PC can be annoying regarding DLL files. In most cases of game installations, there is a high chance that the DLL files that come with them get uninstalled.
Viruses and malware are notorious on devices. They can easily get rid of files without any symptoms. If your DLL files are the victims of any virus invasion, you must replace them to avoid getting the error message.
Overwriting the DLL format file
Overwriting a DLL file when a program is being installed is quite common and unavoidable. The chances of this are higher when either of these files is corrupt.
File corruption or damage
Like any other system file, your installed DLL files can also become damaged over time. This could also be because of exposure to other corrupt files or an incomplete installation.
The malfunctioning hard disk on a PC can corrupt the files. DLL files are no exceptions to this. If the solutions we got for you below do not work, you will have to replace the hard disk. There is also the possibility of data loss.
What does the MSVCR100.DLL missing error mean?
The missing DLL file error pop-up appears when the user attempts to run an application on Windows. As the error message suggests, it means that MSVCR100.DLL is missing from the directory it should be in. In this circumstance, you will not be able to launch the program until the MSVCR100.DLL file is back in position.
Solutions for the MSVCR100.DLL missing error
- Run a Malware Scan
- Restore the MSVCR100.dll automatically
- Download the MSVCR100.dll file online
- Go back to a System restore point
- Download updates for the OS
- Download Driver Firmware Updates
- Get an MSVCR100.dll file from another computer
- Install the Microsoft Visual C++2010 Redistributable Package
- Use the Registry Cleaner to fix the MSVCR100.dll file
- Run a Startup Repair for the OS
- Check your system memory and the Storage
- Do a clean installation of the Windows OS
Fixing the Missing MSVCR100.DLL error on Windows
The quickest way to solve this issue would be to reboot your PC. This may not work for all but when it does, you will have a fresh DLL file to replace the missing one. Any other unsaved changes or threats will also be removed. We suggest restarting the device first before moving to the solutions below.
Run a Malware Scan
An antivirus should be able to help you run a scan of your system. If a virus causes the issue or if the DLL file is corrupting itself, the scan should be able to help you. With a complete scan, all threats will be detected and removed from your device.
Users with a subscription to a third-party antivirus software can get their system scanned regularly. If you do not have an antivirus tool, you can use the Windows Virus & Threat Protection feature to protect your system.
The steps to use the Windows default security feature to run a scan are as follows –
- Push the Windows and S keys together to bring the device search window up.
- Search for the Windows security option and choose the best search result.
- In the Security at a glance section, click on the Virus & Threat protection option.
- From the window that appears, select the Quick Scan option.
This will prompt a scan of the system’s directories. The process can take a long time depending on the number of files in question. You can also use the System File Checker scan (
sfc/scannow) in an Admin command prompt window.
Note: You will only be able to use the Windows security feature when there is no antivirus tool being used.
Restore the MSVCR100.dll
The easiest method to get your missing MSVCR100.DLL file back is to restore it from the antivirus tool that hijacked it. This method is fail-safe if the antimalware tool has detected it to be a threat, which is a common occurrence.
The interfaces for all antivirus software are different. You can start by looking for the restoring options in the quarantine or threat history sections. Users will also be able to find the action taken by the tool against the threat and can modify it.
For those with Windows security, here’s how you can restore a file –
- Open the Windows Security window through the search bar or the system settings (Windows + I).
- Now, go to the Protection history tile and click on it. You will see a list of all the apps and files that have been blocked or removed.
- Locate the MSVCR100.DLL and click on it.
Download the MSVCR100.dll file online
Regarding a previous article of ours about Missing DLL files, users can get DLL files online. Several platforms can help you download DLL files. Some of them could be the official websites or a third-party site containing the download links for this file.
Once downloaded, you will get a compressed file. This has to be extracted to the directory it is missing from. You must download the correct file for your Operating System (OS) configuration. Make sure to choose if you are downloading 32-bit or 64-bit versions.
Note: You will also receive instructions on how to install the DLL files.
Go back to a System restore point
The System Restore point is a saved state of functioning on your PC. You can go back to one of these if you have issues with the device.
- Open a File Explorer window and right-click on the This PC option.
- From the context menu, choose the Properties option.
- Move to the System Security tab and click on System Protection.
- Choose System Restore and the System Restore wizard appears.
- Use the instructions in this wizard to make one or go back to a previously saved system restore point.
Download updates for the OS
OS updates could contain the fix to the factor that keeps removing the DLL files. Therefore, updating to the latest version of Windows can help you. The steps to update are as follows –
- Open your Settings page by pushing Windows and I keys together on the keyboard.
- From the left panel, choose the Windows Update tab.
- Click on the Check for updates button, with an active network connection.
- If there are pending updates, select the Download and Install option.
- Once the updates are downloaded, go to the power options in the Start menu. Then, choose the Update and Restart option to install them.
This process should only take a few minutes.
Download Driver Firmware Updates
Graphics drivers play a key role in running programs. This connects the missing DLL files and the graphics card. Therefore let’s try updating the GPU drivers on your PC.
- Open the Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) window. You can use the Run tool or search box to launch this window.
- Look for the Display Adapters section and expand it. You’ll see both your integrated and dedicated graphics cards here.
- Right-click on the main GPU and choose the Update driver option from the context menu.
- From the driver update wizard, click on the Search automatically for updates option.
- Once the scanning is complete, the driver updates will be downloaded automatically with an active internet connection.
- The user has to reboot the system for the updates to be installed.
Get an MSVCR100.dll file from another computer
This solution can be used when your existing MSVCR100.DLL file is corrupt or damaged. You can get the same file from a PC that can run the same program without any issues. You can transfer your files from the two systems with the help of a cloud or external storage.
Install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package
Installing the Visual C++ Redist will give you all the necessary DLL files you need at that point on your PC. You have to check the architecture type for your PC. This will help you select the correct version to download. The necessary information for this will be on the System Configurations page.
With the necessary information, you can now download the Visual C++ Redist. This is available on the Microsoft website.
Use the Registry Cleaner to fix the MSVCR100.dll file
When we say Registry cleaner, we refer to third-party applications. Several tools can fix corrupt files by getting rid of the invalid entries of the file in the Windows Registry editor.
Though this is a complicated factor, the registry entries for the MSVCR100.DLL can also be responsible for this issue. Several tools would be able to clean the registries for you. Run an online search to find the best option for you.
Run a Startup Repair for the OS
If the issue lies with the OS, you can repair it with the method Microsoft intended for you too. This might seem like a complicated process, but it isn’t. Check this procedure out.
- Download the Installation media creation tool from the Microsoft website.
- Use a USB storage drive to create an installation media device. Ensure this device is on top of the boot order in your BIOS menu.
- Insert the USB drive into the PC’s USB port and reboot the system. The boot process will take you to the Windows setup window.
- At the bottom left corner of the window, click on the Repair your computer link. This option will be available only for PCs with an OS already installed.
- Then, go to the Troubleshooting option and choose Advanced options.
- Select the Startup Repair option and wait for the process to end. This can take quite some time to finish.
Check your system memory and the Storage
If you have experienced issues with your RAM before, there are chances of the files getting corrupted and hardware failure. The most effective way to help you with this is to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. The WMD tool can be searched for on your system and accessed this way.
When running the tool, you must choose Restart now and check for the option of the problem. Ensure all unsaved progress is saved, as the system will immediately reboot on this prompt. You can use this process twice to ensure nothing is wrong with the CPU memory and the storage.
As for storage, there will be obvious symptoms of hard disk-related issues. You may not be able to access the drive partition or the drive itself if you have a secondary storage device.
Do a clean installation of the Windows OS
A clean installation of the Windows OS can fix all issues. However, you will lose all stored data. Once you have backed all the important files up to a cloud or external storage, use the solution below to do a clean install of Windows –
- Open the Windows settings on your PC. This can be done through the Start menu or by pushing Windows and I keys.
- Click on the System tab from the left panel.
- Locate the Recovery section from the list of system sub-settings.
- In the Reset this PC section, click on the Reset PC button.
- From the pop-up that appears, choose Remove everything. We do not need to retain any files as the chances of them being corrupt is wide.
Once you confirm the warning prompt, this can take a long time for the system to remove all files and reinstall the OS.
If none of the solutions above help you, you can contact Microsoft support for more personalized help.