Minecraft is a popular video game that is best enjoyed with your friends. However, it is equally annoying to receive the message “unable to connect to the world” while trying to connect to your friend’s server or your friend is trying to join yours.
Did you experience the same?
While it is common to get the error, it is likewise easy to fix it as well. The only condition is that you must understand the exact cause and a few quick fixes to sort the error.
To help you out, here are the top nine reasons that result in Minecraft unable to connect to world error. Besides, I have also discussed quick fixes for each of these causes. So, let us get started without further ado.
Why Is Minecraft Unable to Connect to the World?
Playing a quick Minecraft game with your buddies feels very relaxing after a tiring day. Right? However, it is equally annoying when you have to face Minecraft unable to connect to world error while connecting to each other’s server.
Following my thorough research, I concluded that the above issue arises due to a multitude of reasons. While some reasons are quite common, others are not! Let us discuss each of them below.
1. Corrupt or Damaged Friend list
Do you experience issues with your friend list on Minecraft? Can you easily connect to a stranger’s world but not to your friend’s? If yes, your friend’s list is the reason. It might be corrupt or damaged.
There is nothing to worry about. Just re-add your friends and you are good to go.
2. Minecraft cache
If you do not clear your app’s saved data or cache on a frequent basis, it might get corrupted or damaged. As a result, you would get Minecraft unable to connect to world issue.
3. Windows Firewall
While Windows Firewall works best in blocking the flow of unauthorized network traffic into or out of your PC, it is also the main reason behind the trivial blockage of several programs and services. One among them is Minecraft.
In case your Firewall is malfunctioning, there are higher chances of you getting Minecraft unable to connect to the world error. If the Firewall is not malfunctioning, you can add the game to the Firewall’s exemption list.
By doing so, it will not interfere with Minecraft.
If you have an antivirus installed on your computer, you should be aware that certain antivirus software often shows verified applications (including Minecraft) as threats to your system and blocks them.
Hence, your antivirus might be another culprit behind Minecraft unable to connect to world error.
5. Corrupt user account
Although the chances of a corrupt Microsoft account are very rare, some users reported it in their case. Being the first step of account authentication, your Microsoft account must be perfectly fine.
If there is an issue with the account, fix your corrupt Microsoft user account.
6. Internet Explorer settings
If you are an advanced Windows user, you would know that Internet Explorer’s settings often affect other applications and games running in Windows. As a result, those applications and games do not run properly.
In case you are unable to connect to the world in Minecraft, check the Internet Explorer settings.
Bugs make their way into every application in the Windows store. That is why you should update your applications to the latest version to fix the bugs. If required, you can re-install the application.
Here are the top 10 Minecraft bugs or glitches.
8. Disabled multiplayer permissions
If you use the Xbox application to play Minecraft, check if Xbox has disabled the connection with other multiplayer or not. If disabled, you are certain to get Minecraft unable to connect to world error.
Enable multiplayer settings to use the application like before.
9. Issues with your ISP
Issues with the ISP are not quite common with most Minecraft players. Even if there is an issue, you can work around this by switching to a virtual private network (VPN) while connecting to another world in Minecraft.
This will solve your Minecraft unable to connect to world problems and prevent its recurrence.
So, these are the nine most reported causes of “unable to connect to the world” errors in Minecraft. With this being said, let us now check out all possible fixes in the next section.
9 Fixes For The Minecraft Unable to Connect to World
Before getting started with the solutions for Minecraft unable to connect to world error in Windows, make sure:
- You are connected to a reliable internet network, and
- You are logged in as the game Administrator.
Next, I recommend trying out the following fixes. So, let us get started.
1. Enable cellular data use
You can also use Minecraft unable to connect to world problems by enabling cellular data usage. To do so, follow these steps.
- Open Minecraft and go to the main Settings.
- Scroll down and click on Profile.
- Toggle the Auto-update unlocked packs option to enable cellular data to use.
If the problem persists, check the next solution.
2. Remove friends and re-add them
As mentioned above, any corruption in your friend list can also trigger issues in the Minecraft game. The main reason behind friend list corruption is that the list is not saved locally on your system. Instead, it is obtained from the servers.
If there is an issue with the friend list, you will not be able to connect to the world in Minecraft. To confirm the same, try to connect with a stranger’s world.
If you can successfully connect to a stranger’s world, your friend list is at fault and needs your attention. In such a scenario, I recommend re-adding your friends. To re-add your friend, you will have to remove them first.
To do so, enter your friend’s Minecraft username in the following command and hit the Enter button.
/f remove <username>
Once successfully removed, re-add your friend by sending an invitation through the game itself or Xbox application.
If this method does not work, head to the next fix.
3. Enable multiplayer settings
Another common reason behind the “unable to connect to the world” error in Minecraft is the game’s Windows version. For the best gaming experience, it is recommended to install Minecraft from the Microsoft store only.
By doing so, your Xbox account controls the game’s multiplayer and privacy settings. Further, there is an option to enable/disable multiplayer settings in Xbox. If the option is turned off, you will not be able to connect to any world on Minecraft due to a lack of permission.
To fix this multiplayer setting in Minecraft, follow these steps.
- Open your preferred web browser and login into your Xbox account.
- Click on the Xbox One/Windows 10 Online Safety tab on the top of your screen. You will see multiple permissions/settings with options to Allow or Block each.
- Navigate to the You can play with people outside of the Xbox Live option and make sure to select Allow if it is not.
- Similarly, Allow the You can communicate outside of the Xbox Live with Voice & Text.
- Click on Submit.
- Restart your system and login into your Minecraft again.
The problem should have been solved now. If it persists, try the next fix.
4. Update Windows And Minecraft
Are you using an old Windows or Minecraft version? If so, that is another reason behind Minecraft’s unable to connect to world error.
If you are yet to upgrade your Windows and Minecraft to the latest version, these steps would help you in this.
Follow these steps to update Windows:
- Click on the Start button on the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Open the Settings menu.
- Look for the Update & Security option and click on it.
- Now, first, click on the Windows Update option on the left pane and then on Check for updates.
- The update will start automatically if there is any.
Follow these steps to update Minecraft:
- Open the Microsoft Store on your computer.
- Click on the three vertical dots on the top-right corner of the screen. Select Downloads and Updates from the menu that opens up.
- Click on Get updates and all applications on your PC will get updated to their latest version, including Minecraft. To update only Minecraft, open its page, and click on Update.
- Once your Minecraft’s update is installed, restart your computer before launching the game.
You must be able to connect to any world now. If not, head to the next solution of setting up a virtual private network.
5. Setup A VPN
If your current internet service provider (ISP) is banning or restricting Minecraft’s traffic, I recommend using a virtual private network or VPN on your computer. It will spoof your internet provider by pretending your location to be in another country.
As a result, you can play Minecraft by overcoming all barriers put on by your internet service provider.
However, the above is not as easy as it sounds on paper. This is because you will either have to set up your VPN or use one provided by your organization if any.
If you are setting up a personal virtual private network, I recommend Chrom’s SetupVPN extension. It is completely free for everyone and has the following other benefits.
- 4096-bit military-grade encryption
- No speed limitations
- No bandwidth restrictions
Once the VPN is set and ready to use, launch the Minecraft game. Due to the location change, it will ask for account authentication. Once it is also done, check if you can connect to your friend’s world.
6. Temporarily disable Firewall
There is no doubt that a Firewall is a useful application for your system as it monitors your internet activity. It works round the clock in blocking the flow of unauthorized network traffic into or out of your PC.
However, there are instances when the Firewall irrelevantly blocks even safe applications and programs, including Minecraft. As a result, you have to face Minecraft unable to connect to world error.
To avoid such situations in the future, it is better to temporarily disable Windows Firewall by following these steps.
- Open the Start menu by either hitting the Windows icon on the keyboard or its logo on the bottom-left side of your screen.
- Type Firewall in the search bar and click on the Windows Firewall option.
- On the next screen that shows up, click on the Turn Windows Firewall on or off option.
- Select Turn off Windows Firewall for both private and public networks.
- Click on Ok to save the settings.
- Relaunch your Minecraft game.
The earlier issue must have been resolved by now. If not, the game’s Java edition might work. Continue reading to install Minecraft’s Java edition.
7. Install Minecraft’s Java Edition
In case the above methods are not working for you and the Minecraft unable to connect to world error continues to haunt you, installing Minecraft Java Edition is recommended.
Currently, there are two installations available for computers. First, you can download Java Edition from Microsoft Store. Second, you can go ahead with the standalone Java Edition for Minecraft.
I found Minecraft’s Java Edition worthy after thorough research and the same got thumbs up from other gamers as well.
Here is the step-by-step guide to installing Minecraft’s latest Java edition.
- Open Minecraft’s official website.
- Go to the Games option from the top corner of the screen. Select Minecraft.
- Navigate to the Java Edition Server option and click on it.
- Next, download Minecraft’s Java Edition.
You should now be able to connect to the world in Minecraft.
8. Reset Internet Explorer Settings
Since you installed Minecraft from Microsoft Store, it must be using the internet rules and other preferences set by Windows. Again, Windows set these internet rules and preferences through Internet Explorer.
With Internet Explorer no longer active, you are experiencing Minecraft unable to connect to world error. Hence, here I will show you how to reset the IE settings and permanently solve the error.
- Click on the Start button on the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Type control panel and click on the Control Panel option.
- Click on the Network and Internet option.
- Click on the last i.e. Internet Options to open the Internet Properties window.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Click on Reset and then on Ok to complete the process.
Restart your PC and launch Minecraft. Check whether Minecraft unable to connect to world error persists or not.
Note: Do not forget to disable your proxy server if any.
If the error persists, creating a new user account might work.
9. Create a new user account
In the rarest of cases, your Microsoft account may corrupt. As a result, all your connected applications and programs (including Minecraft) will run into errors and stop responding.
If that is your case as well, I recommend creating a new user account and adding Minecraft to it.
Note: Create a backup of all your files for safety reasons before removing the current account.
To do so, follow these steps.
- First, open the Administrator account. Input Settings in the search box and click on Accounts.
- You will have the Family and other users option on the left side of the screen. Click on it.
- Once done, click on Add someone else to this PC.
- Now, Windows will guide you through setting up a new user account. When asked How will this person sign in, click on the I don’t have this person’s sign-in information option present just above the Next button.
- On the next screen, click on Add a user without Microsoft. Windows will now let you set up a new user account.
- Enter the required details including a strong password to protect your account.
- Once you complete the formalities, login into your new account.
Launch Minecraft using this new account and the earlier issue of Minecraft unable to connect to the world would disappear.
Bonus Tip: Update your Network Drivers
Outdated network drivers are also a common cause of Minecraft unable to connect to world error. To sort it out, you must update your network drivers as well. To do so, follow these steps.
- Use the Windows + X shortcut key combination or Start menu to open the Device Manager.
- Navigate to Network Adapters. It will show all your installed drivers.
- Right-click on the desired driver and select the Update driver software option from the menu that opens up.
Repeat the above steps for all drivers. Once done, restart your computer and launch Minecraft. I recommend enabling automatic driver updates on your system. By doing so, all your drivers will be updated as soon as any update arrives.
It should work fine now and the previous connection error should go away.
These are the top nine quick yet effective fixes to solve the Minecraft issue.
If you are a hardcore Minecraft player, you must have faced the Minecraft unable to connect to world error during the gameplay and wondered about its causes.
Though it is a common issue, there are several culprits behind the same. While it is a corrupt user account or friend list in the majority of cases, irrelevant interference from ISPs is another major known cause.
Depending on your situation, you might have other factors contributing to the error and I have discussed all of them in the article. This will come in handy while trying out the possible resolutions for each reason.
To sum up, I would recommend you try each of the above solutions in the given order to get the issue sorted out in the easiest way possible. For doubts, do not hesitate to reach out to me.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How To Fix Minecraft Unable To Connect To The World Problem?
The fix for the “unable to connect to world” problem in Minecraft depends on what is causing it. For example, some possible fixes are re-adding your friend, using a VPN, resetting Internet Explorer’s settings, installing Microsoft Java edition, and so on.
How Do You Add Friends On Minecraft?
To add friends on Minecraft, go to the in-game settings of the app, select the “Invite to Game” option, and then click on “Find Cross-Platform Friends.” Next, find their Minecraft ID or Gamertag and click on “Add friend.”
Why Can’t I Join My Friend’s Minecraft World?
If you are unable to join your friend’s Minecraft world, several things may be at fault here. These include the Internet Explorer settings, Firewall, corrupt friends list or Microsoft account, your ISP, or disabled multiplayer permissions. Check out the various fixes to solve each of these issues.
How Can I Remove A Friend From The Friend List In Minecraft?
To remove someone from your friend list in Minecraft, you would need their username. Once you have it, enter the command – /f remove your_friend_username in the chatbox and hit the Enter button to complete the process.