Hello, are you planning to attend a MicroStrategy Interview? Or do you have a MicroStrategy Interview scheduled? Then you are on the right article. We have researched on MicroStrategy and prepared the most frequently asked MicroStrategy Interview Questions and Answers. Please make sure you go through the MicroStrategy interview questions so that you will not miss any questions.
Let us have a quick short introduction about MicroStrategy. MicroStrategy is defined as a business tool. MicroStrategy is an analytic platform in the market, which combines enterprise-grade performances, scalability, and security with feasible interfaces and workflows.
Top 90 MicroStrategy Interview Questions and Answers
1. Can you compare MicroStrategy and Tableau?
|It is just a product that the company offers.||It is a data visualization tool, which is used to create charts, reports, and dashboards.|
|It has mapping and in-built geocoding features.||It has mapping functionality, which can plot latitude and longitude coordinates.|
|It can connect to and blend data from any source.||It visually analyzes data rapidly.|
|SQL knowledge, DW concepts, and data visualization understanding are required.||SQL knowledge, DW concepts, and some data visualization are needed.|
2. Can you explain heterogeneous mapping?
Heterogeneous mapping is a mapping that performs joins on, unlike column names. Here the expression is linked to a set of the source table that contains the columns used in the expression.
3. Name the different types of metrics in MicroStrategy?
The different types of metrics in MicroStrategy are:
4. Describe Smart Metrics?
Smart metrics are used for calculating the compound matrices, with subtotal calculation’s help, for every constituent inside the compound metric.
5. Name the types of Transformation in MicroStrategy?
The types of transformation in MicroStrategy are:
- Expression-based vs. table-based transformations.
- Table-based transformation.
- Expression-based transformation.
6. Define Base Formula in MicroStrategy?
Base formulas are defined as mathematical expressions that are created using existing facts in MicroStrategy. Base formulas can be reused to build any number of metrics.
7. Name the two types of Hierarchies in MicroStrategy?
The two types of hierarchies in MicroStrategy are:
- System Hierarchy.
- User Hierarchy.
8. Explain different kinds of objects in MicroStrategy?
The different kinds of objects in MicroStrategy are:
- Schema objects.
- Application objects.
- Reports and document objects
9. Define Level Metrics in MicroStrategy?
Level metrics are the metrics that are evaluated at the attributes level called report level.
10. Describe the different types of attributes in the MicroStrategy desktop?
The different types of attributes in the MicroStrategy desktop are:
- Implicit attributes
- Compound key attributes
- Derived key attributes
- Simple attributes
11. Describe Implicit attribute in MicroStrategy?
The implicit attribute is a type of MicroStrategy desktop attribute. An implicit attribute is defined as a virtual or constant attribute that does not exist in the warehouse physically. This kind of attribute has an implicit expression, a constant value, where nothing is saved in the actual column.
12. Define level prompt in MicroStrategy?
A level prompt in MicroStrategy allows the user to select a level of calculation for a metric during report execution.
13. Define the history list in MicroStrategy?
History list in MicroStrategy is a collection of pre-executed documents and reports sent to the user’s personal history folder.
14. What is a filter prompt in MicroStrategy?
An object prompt allows the user to select which object of the MicroStrategy is to be included in a report known as a filter prompt.
15. Explain an Intelligent Cube in MicroStrategy?
Intelligent cubes can be specified as unique caches that can be queried. The MicroStrategy treats these cubes as a database in memory that is fast and flexible.
16. Name the different export formats in MicroStrategy?
Different export formats in MicroStrategy are:
- Plain text.
- CSV format.
17. Name the different sections in a document in MicroStrategy?
The different sections in a document are:
- Page header.
- Document header.
- Region header.
- Detailed header.
- Region footer.
- Document footer.
- Page footer.
18. Name the different view modes in MicroStrategy?
The different view modes in MicroStrategy are:
- Express mode.
- Interactive mode.
- Flash mode.
- Editable mode.
- Design mode.
19. Name the different types of a text field in a document in MicroStrategy?
The different types of a text field in a document are:
- Static text field.
- Dynamic text field.
- Data field.
- Auto text code.
- Combination of any text field.
20. What are the activities of cubes in MicroStrategy?
The activities of cubes are:
- Dynamic Aggregation
- Derived Elements
- Derived Metrics
- Metric Filters
- View Filters
21. Name the different types of derived elements in MicroStrategy?
The different types of derived elements are:
- Group-derived elements.
- Filter-derived elements.
- Calculation derived elements.
- Other derived elements.
MicroStrategy Interview Questions and Answers
22. Can you explain the advantages of cubes in MicroStrategy?
The advantages of cubes in MicroStrategy are:
- Cubes increase the overall performance.
- Cubes help in data sharing.
- Cubes are used for drilling when required.
- By scheduling the cube on off-time, you can avoid the data traffic in peak time.
23. Explain the features which are not supported in Intelligent Cubes?
The features that are not supported in intelligent cubes are:
- Prompts cannot be used in intelligent cubes.
- Intelligent cubes do not use view filters and derived metrics.
- Intelligent cubes cannot use consolidation and custom groups.
24. What is an object prompt in MicroStrategy?
Object prompts in MicroStrategy provide users the ability to add additional or customized objects to a report.
25. What are attribute roles? Explain?
Attribute roles in MicroStrategy are intended for lookup tables. Here the user specifies two attributes, which have the same specification but each play a different role in the business models.
26. Name the types of MicroStrategy licenses that can be bought?
- The Named user.
- CPU license.
27. What is the Command Manager? Explain?
Command manager in MicroStrategy automates the maintenance and other administrative operations using commands that are simple text-based. Here the commands can be compiled into script files, and they can be run from a graphical interface or the line of command.
28. What is a joint child? Explain?
Joint child in MicroStrategy can be explained as the attributes that exist at the intersection of the other indirectly related attributes. It is a way of handling composite keys.
29. What are Level Metrics? And why are they required? Explain?
Level metrics in MicroStrategy are the metrics set to be evaluated at a specific attribute Level. These metrics are required when you need to roll up a metric at two different levels side by side in the same report.
30. Can you define the logical size of a table, and what does it depend on? Explain?
In MicroStrategy, logical size is one of the best ways to generate a suitable or optimized SQL to fetch required data. It follows an algorithm where the logical size of the information is calculated, and it depends on the number of attributes and facts of the table.
MicroStrategy Interview Questions and Answers
31. What are Consolidations in MicroStrategy?
Consolidations in MicroStrategy are the grouping of Attribute elements, where the custom groups are based on specific criteria. Here the custom groups are applied to different filters to different rows of a report. They are used to create virtual attributes that allow the reports to use attributes that do not exist in the data model.
32. What are custom groups in MicroStrategy?
Custom groups in MicroStrategy are a set of special filters that can be placed on a template. Custom groups are made up of an ordered set of elements called custom group elements.
33. What is star schema and snowflake schema? Explain?
A star schema in MicroStrategy is a design, which consists of only one lookup table for each specified hierarchy in the data model instead of having a separate lookup table for each attribute.
A snowflake schema is defined as an extension of the star schema in MicroStrategy, where it adds additional dimensions. The diagram of a snowflake schema resembles a snowflake. Hence the snowflake schema.
34. What is a MicroStrategy Desktop? Explain?
MicroStrategy desktop can be defined as a powerful data discovery tool where you can explore the data, and you can answer questions on your own. MicroStrategy desktop enables you to quickly create a customized and interactive dashboard.
35. What are VLDB properties? Explain?
Very Large Database Properties(VLBD) is a way of handling database-specific preferences. The properties of VLBD allow you to customize the MicroStrategy SQL.
Few VLBD properties are cross join check, type of intermediate table, attribute Or metric join classes, etc.
36. What is a Security filter in MicroStrategy?
A security filter in MicroStrategy is an object assigned to a user or a group, where it limits the result set when a user browses elements or executes a report. It enables you to control what warehouse data that the users can see. It is similar to the views and low-level security of the database.
37. What are ad hoc reports and static reports? Explain?
Adhoc reports in MicroStrategy run in real-time, based on the user input parameters at the run time. Ad Hoc reports are created using prompts.
In the case of static reports, the users are not provided with any input parameters. These types of reports are scheduled to run overnight and are viewed in the mornings using cache.
38. Can MicroStrategy Desktop access SAP data? Explain?
The answer is yes. To access the multidimensional databases, the MicroStrategy Desktop is incorporated with a new dynamic data access engine.
39. Can you define various ways of incorporating security in MicroStrategy? Explain?
In MicroStrategy the security can be achieved in the following ways:
- You can apply folder and object-level security to restrict access to a particular set of objects or reports.
- You can also apply security filters to the users, which results in low-level security.
- For column level security, you can put user-specific restrictions, at the database end, by using user-specific connection mapping.
40. What are Pass-through Functions? Explain?
Pass-through functions in MicroStrategy are used to utilize various special functions that are specific to databases.
Few pass- through functions available in MicroStrategy are:
- Apply simple functions.
- Apply comparison functions.
MicroStrategy Interview Questions and Answers
41. Can MicroStrategy Desktop access operational data systems? Explain?
The answer is yes. MicroStrategy desktop users can use the new operational SQL engine that includes data from any OS, with the help of entirely free-form SQL, which provides for stored procedures and views.
42. Name the types of prompts in MicroStrategy?
The types of prompts in MicroStrategy are:
- Object prompts.
- Hierarchy Qualification Prompts.
- AttributeQualification Prompts.
- AttributeElement List Prompts.
- Metric Qualification Prompts.
- Value prompts.
- Level prompts.
43. Name the different algorithms being used in MicroStrategy?
The different algorithms used are:
- Neural network algorithms.
- Tree algorithms.
- Clustering algorithms.
- Regression algorithms.
44. Explain the metadata in MicroStrategy?
Metadata in MicroStrategy is a repository that stores the MicroStrategy object definitions and data or information about the data warehouse. The information here is stored in a proletariat format within the relational database. The metadata maps the MicroStrategy objects that are used to build and analyze reports to the data warehouse structure.
45. What is meant by the heterogeneous Mapping in MicroStrategy?
Heterogeneous mapping in MicroStrategy allows the intelligence server to perform joins on different column names. When you define more than one expression, heterogeneous mapping occurs automatically.
46. Name the methods to implement Intelligent cube technology in MicroStrategy?
- Personal Intelligent cubes.
- Intelligent Cubes.
47. Can you explain the process of creating intelligent cubes in MicroStrategy?
For creating intelligent cubes, you need to use intelligent cube editor privilege, which is a part of OLAP services.
Some of the prerequisites to create an intelligent query are listed below.
- You need to define your business query.
- You need to look for existing intelligent cubes.
- You need to review the features that support the intelligent cubes.
48. What do you mean by Fact Degradation? Explain?
The Degradation which lowers the fact-value is called Fact degradation. In order to view the Fact data at a lower logical level than the Fact is stored, you have to degrade the Fact to a lower level. For example, you have stored a Fact at a level, which is commonly used in reports. At the same time, you should also support the users who want to view and analyze the same Fact data at a lower level.
49. What is a KPI in MicroStrategy?
A key performance indicator in MicroStrategy is a visual representation of a performance indicator. With KPI, you can visualize the metric’s total amount, such as the percentage of profit or revenue over time.
MicroStrategy Interview Questions and Answers
50. Can you explain the differences between 2 tier, 3 tier, and 4 tier architecture in MicroStrategy?
In MicroStrategy 2 tier architecture, the MicroStrategy desktop queries, against the data warehouse and metadata itself, without the Intelligence Server intermediate tire.
The 3 tier structure in MicroStrategy consists of an Intelligence server between the MicroStrategy desktop, data warehouse, and the metadata.
The 4 tier architecture in MicroStrategy is the same as that of the 3 tier structure, where an additional Microstate Web component is included.
51. Can you name anyone type of Fact extension which you find in the MicroStrategy?
There are three types of Fact extension, namely,
52. Can you explain the difference between MicroStrategy and IBM Cognos?
|It has ranked above average in most of the categories.||It has ranked below the average in most of the categories.|
|It is a part of a dashboard peer group.||It was not a part of the Dashboard peer group.|
|It has ranked below the average in project time, i.e., time to implement.||It has also ranked below average in project time, i.e., time to implement.|
53. Name the various types of filters in MicroStrategy?
The different types of filters in MicroStrategy are:
- attribute Application filter.
- Set qualifications.
- Shortcut qualifications.
54. Name the data modeling tool in MSTR?
The data modeling tool in MSRT is called Architect.
55. Can you tell the usage of the command manager?
The command manager saves the text commands that can be later executed as scripts.
56. Can you name the types of Report Cache?
Types of report cache:
- Matching caches
- XML caches
- Matching-History caches
- History caches
57. How does the table structure change in DB to be reflected in MSTR? Explain?
- You can make the table structure changes IN DBreflected in MSTR by updating from the warehouse catalog.
- In the Attributeeditor, alter the datatype.
58. Can you explain the use of having thresholds in a report?
Thresholds in reports are used to develop conditional formatting of the metric values.
59. Can you explain the Metric Formula Join Type?
Formula join type is defined as a metric that consists of multiple expressions or metrics, and it lets you determine how to join these elements.
MicroStrategy Interview questions and answers.
60. What are the different formatting types in MicroStrategy?
The different formatting types in MicroStrategy are:
- Big decimal.
- HTML tag.
61. Can you explain how to hide a particular metric in a report for a specific user?
To hide a metric column in a report:
- First, open the grid report.
- Now, from the format menu, select the resize columns and rows.
- Now, under the columns, choose the fixed option from the drop-down list and select the metric you want to hide.
- In width, the field enters 0 and clicks ok.
62. Define view filter in MicroStrategy?
A view filter in MicroStrategy is used to restrict the amount of data that is displayed on the report by providing a different view of data.
63. How do we move objects across projects in MicroStrategy?
MicroStrategy object manager helps us to move objects across projects in MicroStrategy.
64. Write the different display modes in MicroStrategy?
The different display modes in MicroStrategy are:
- Express mode.
- Flash mode.
- Interactive mode.
- Editable mode.
- Design mode.
65. Can you differentiate between standard, absolute, and ignore conditions in metrics?
Standard filtering in MicroStrategy allows the report filters to interact in the metric calculation as usual. Here the metric calculates only for the elements that are found in the filtered definition.
Absolute filtering in MicroStrategy changes the filters on the descendants of the targets. If possible, it raises it to the level of the target.
Ignore filtering in MicroStrategy. As the name suggests, it omits the filtering criteria. Based on the target attributes and their related attributes, i.e., parents and children. With this setting, the report filter does not appear anywhere in the SQL.
66. How are the reports optimized in MicroStrategy?
- Use report caching to optimize reports.
- Use VLBD properties to optimize the reports.
- You can make use of templates for coaching purposes.
- You can use intelligent cubes as they will be loaded with data, and the reports that are created using these cubes are capable of fetching data much faster.
67. Can you define the order of precedence of VLDB properties?
We have ordered the precedence from highest to lowest.
- DATABASE INSTANCE.
68. Can you compare Consolidations and Custom Groups?
|Consolidation groups||Custom groups|
|Arithmetic operations are allowed on Consolidation groups.||Arithmetic operations are not allowed on custom groups.|
|SQL efficiency is high.||SQL efficiency is very low.|
|It can reuse consolidation elements.||It cannot reuse consolidation elements.|
69. How can Project Sources be configured in the MSTR Office?
The project sources for MicroStrategy Web Services are described in the projectsources.xml file. The project sources defined here also define which project sources the MicroStrategy Office users can connect to.
To add a project source:
- First, open the projectsources.xml file in a text editor such as Windows Notepad.
- To add a new project source definition, you need to change the parameters of ProjectSourceName, Server Name, AuthMode, Port Number, and Max pooled connections.
- Now, save the changes to the projectsources.xml file and close the file.
70. Can you explain why Logical Views are used in MicroStrategy?
Logical views in MicroStrategy are created manually to return the data from multiple physical tables as one standard logical table.
MicroStrategy interview questions and answers
71. How do we resolve attribute Roles in MicroStrategy?
You can resolve attribute Roles in MicroStrategy by creating separate table alias names for the same. You can also enable automatic attribute Role recognition to determine the attribute Roles.
72. Can you define statistics tables, and how do you configure the project statistics? Explain?
Statistics tables are the tables that contain data on the MicroStrategy system usage and performance.
To configure the project statistics:
- First, set up the enterprise manager.
- You need to define the statistics and enterprise warehouse database.
- You need to create the statistics database instance.
- Now, go to the project configuration wizard of the project.
- Now, Select the statistics and define what you want to log.
73. Can you differentiate between project merge and object manager?
|Project Merge||Object Manager|
|Project merge can move all the objects in a project.||Object managers in MicroStrategy can move a few objects or just move a few objects in the new folder.|
|It does not run dependency objects.||It does a dependency search for objects.|
74. Can you explain how conflicts occur, and what are the ways to resolve them in MicroStrategy?
Conflicts occur while copying the objects across the projects using object manager when an object has the same ID as the source object that exists in the destination project.
Some ways to resolve conflicts are:
- You can replace or keep both.
- Merge privileges.
- Update in the same path or a new path.
75. At which levels can you set the VLDB properties? Which level has the highest precedence? Explain?
VLBD properties can be set at levels like Report, Metric, Template, Database Instance, Project, and DBMS level. Among all these, the reports have the highest precedence.
76. Can you explain What does MicroStrategy Desktop allows users to do?
- MicroStrategy desktop allows users to easily access and share sensitive corporate information that needs cost-cutting decisions.
- It improves overall business performance.
- The data in MicroStrategy helps to increase revenue and profits.
- Without the technical knowledge of SQL or MDX, the users can access the database.
77. How long can you take to learn MicroStrategy Desktop?
The front end of the MicroStrategy desktop is similar to that of any MS Windows Explorer and Office. You can quickly learn MicroStrategy desktop because of its simplified navigation and report execution.
78. Can you make the data and graphs look professional?
The answer is yes. The user can make the data and graphs look professional using MicroStrategy because it provides a variety of formatting styles and graphs for maximum visual impact.
79. What security is provided with the MicroStrategy Desktop? Explain?
- MicroStrategy desktop has security options to keep your data private and confidential.
- MicroStrategy desktop has integrated with Windows 2000 and Windows NT security.
80. Can you explain to what extent MicroStrategy Desktop can be personalized?
- Every MicroStrategy Desktop user has a security profile defined by the administrator.
- The security profile controls the users or group of user’s access to the application, functionality, reports, or particular data.
- The desktop interface is adapted in such a way that it displays the information that the user is allowed to see.
81. To save time, can multiple reports be run at the same time in MicroStrategy?
The answer is yes, the MicroStrategy can run multiple reports simultaneously, and the results are saved in the personal history folder.
82. Explain MicroStrategy OLAP Services?
- MicroStrategy OLAP services are an extension to the Intelligence server.
- It allows MicroStrategy web and desktop users to modify intelligent cubes.
- With the help of OLAP services, end users can easily add or remove report objects.
83. What is a MicroStrategy Narrowcast server?
The MicroStrategy Narrowcast server is an active information delivery center that distributes personalized business information to the end-users through emails, SMS, files, and mobile devices.
84. Can you execute a report in off-peak periods?
Yes, reports are attached to event-based schedules by the administrator. These schedules trigger the execution of reports automatically, and upon completion, they place a message in the history folder.
85. Can you explain the data sources supported by MicroStrategy Desktop?
The data sources supported by MicroStrategy desktops are Microsoft Access, Oracle, Informix, NCR Teradata, Microsoft SQL Server, Redbrick, and Non-Stop SQL.
86. Can you tell whether the MicroStrategy MDX engine is certified by SAP?
Yes, the MicroStrategy MDX engine is certified by SAP. The new dynamic MDX engine generates MDX syntax optimized, which is fully licensed by SAP.
87. Can you tell us if the MicroStrategy Desktop is available in other languages?
Yes, the MicroStrategy desktop is available in English, Japanese, Korean, Italian, Portugees, Sweden, and German languages.
88. Can you explain how long it takes to get a MicroStrategy Desktop up and running?
It takes a minute to get a MicroStrategy desktop up and running.
89. Can you explain the printing capabilities available in MicroStrategy Desktop?
The features include:
- Repeating a row or column headers
- It includes customizable headers and footers.
- It includes a comprehensive page setup menu.
- It gives users a preview option before sending the reports to print.
90. Name the types of testing that can be carried out over the MicroStrategy reports?
MicroStrategy report testing types are listed below:
- Naming convention tests.
- attribute and metric positions
- Security filter tests.
- Threshold testing.
- Drilling options test.
- Prompt-related verification.
- SQL query validations
- attribute and metric positions
- SQL query validation.
Best of luck with your MicroStrategy interview, and we hope our MicroStrategy interview questions and answers were of some help to you. We hope you get your dream job. If you are looking for a job in the Software Testing field, then you can check out our Software Testing Interview Questions.