Malwarebytes Anti-malware won’t open? Sometimes Malwarebytes won’t open and you cannot conduct malware scans on the computer. Don’t give up on the tool just yet, here are some handy fixes to get it up and running again in no time.
What is Malwarebytes?
One of the most sought out cyber security tools, Malwarebytes is an antivirus that offers real-time protection from malware and cyber threats both on your computer and android.
It effectively scans your device for malware and protects your files from ransomware attacks. It is becoming popular lately in post-pandemic situations and the rise of ransomware attacks and phishing sites.
This tool offers one solution for all security issues on your computer, for both individual and business purposes. Malwarebytes latest version keeps track of new ransomware and viruses which encrypt your files and take the necessary steps to provide all-around protection.
Causes of Malwarebytes Not Opening on Windows
Is Malwarebytes running but won’t open on your computer? You check the taskbar and find the Malwarebytes interface running in the background but no window is opening. Running Malwarebytes can be troublesome due to following reasons
- Inadequate permissions
- Malware infection
- Outdated software version
- Incomplete installation
- Corrupt user account files
- Other active antiviruses in the window
- Unoptimized startup type
What can I do if Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software won’t open?
There are multiple ways, configuration by which you can fix issues with Malwarebytes, not opening. Some fixes require only minimum navigation and changes. While in some you’d be required to install extra tools like Malwarebytes chameleon.
Before moving on to the advanced ways to fix Malwarebytes anti-malware not opening issues. Let’s do some preliminary checks.
- Make sure you’re connected to a stable internet connection.
- Check if your window is up to date or not.
- Visit the official Malwarebytes website and confirm that your PC meets the minimum requirement.
Solutions to Fix the Malwarebytes Not Opening on Windows Issue
- Run Malwarebytes As An Administrator
- Try Running Malwarebytes In The Safe Mode
- Why And How Do I Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?
- Perform A Clean Install Of Malwarebytes
- Guide To Disable Other Antiviruses
- Causes Of Malwarebytes Not Opening On Windows- Malware Infection
- Run Malwarebytes Chameleon
- Rename The Mbam.Exe To Explorer.Exe
- Try Creating A New User Account
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware “Unable To Connect The Service” -Fix
1. Run Malwarebytes as an administrator
The go-to fix to Malwarebytes or any other antivirus is to run as administrator. The logic behind running as an administrator is simple. Since an antivirus like Malwarebytes ensures security at the deepest level, with important windows files. It needs special administrator permission to run effectively and access those files.
To run Malwarebytes as an administrator
- Right-click on the Malwarebytes icon.
- From the dropdown menu click on Run as administrator
- A pop-up window will appear to confirm the administrator access on the computer, click yes.
- The antivirus will open without a hitch.
2. Try running Malwarebytes in the Safe mode
If Malwarebytes won’t open or uninstall you can just enter safe mode and uninstall easily. Safe mode is an ideal solution for troubleshooting any program. A safe mode is a boot option in windows that runs only essential startup applications.
If malware is hindering, the Malwarebytes interface won’t open. Opening the program in safe mode can be the ultimate solution, as it offers a space to maneuver and configure the right setting.
How to run Malwarebytes in safe mode?
- Press window key+ R to open the Run window, and type MSConfig
- Another window will appear, go to the ‘boot’ option in that window
- From the boot option listed below check the box against the safe boot.
- Select network under safe boot, then click on “Apply” and “ok”.
- A prompt will appear asking a restart, click on “restart’
- After the window restarts in safe mode, try running Malwarebytes.
3. Why and How do I update Malwarebytes anti-malware?
Updating is a crucial part of functioning for Malwarebytes anti-malware. Sometimes Malwarebytes runs but won’t open. For real-time protection on the internet, it requires the latest data through updates on malware and other malicious agents online.
Although it usually updates automatically you can check and update manually if Malwarebytes won’t open in windows 10. Reinstalling Malwarebytes automatically install the latest version. For alternative methods here are the steps to update Malwarebytes
- Open Malwarebytes in safe mode.
- Go-to menu in the opened window
- From the dropdown menu select “Check for updates”
- The download will automatically start
- Click install after the download is complete
- Try reopening Malwarebytes and it’ll run smoothly.
4. Perform a Clean Install of Malwarebytes
If Malwarebytes won’t open in safe mode, then you can consider reinstalling. Reinstalling Malwarebytes is easy using a support tool that repairs files, troubleshoots, and loads the latest version. To reinstall using the Malwarebytes support tool, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the official site of Malwarebytes and download the Malwarebytes support tool.
- Run the downloaded .exe file and select yes when the user account control message appears.
- Make sure you have Net 4.0 framework or above and agree to the EULA to proceed.
- Click next to finish the installation. The support tool will automatically run.
- After opening move your cursor to the left pane and select advanced, advanced options.
- Click on clean and proceed by selecting yes to prompts. the process will start.
- After finishing cleaning select yes to restart windows.
- After restart select yes to prompt for reinstalling malware bytes, select install environment
- Click Install.
5. Guide to Disable other antiviruses
Although Malwarebytes is advertised as software that gets along with other antiviruses installed in computers. But if you are facing a problem Malwarebytes is running but won’t open, you can try disabling your other antivirus and windows defenders.
The reasoning behind this fix is that other antivirus may obstruct the function of Malwarebytes. Quite similar to Malware bytes, the antivirus may stop Malwarebytes from accessing some files and even delete important files.
- From the start menu in the window go to setting
- Go to update and security and then windows security
- From there select virus and threat protection
- Go to manage settings and turn off real-time protection
- Run Malwarebytes to confirm proper opening
6. Causes of Malwarebytes Not Opening on Windows- malware infection
This error is common for users who have previously used Malwarebytes and tried to remove it manually. Malwarebytes won’t open and a prompt will appear with the message “Unable to start service”. The best way to get your Malwarebytes working again is by using the below-mentioned tool.
- Go to tweaking.com and download and extract the Tweaking.com windows repair tool.
- Go to the folder where it is installed and run it by double-clicking on Repair_windows.exe.
- Select yes when the user account control message appears.
- Read and accept EULA, and then click on Jump to repairs.
- Click on open repairs and check the option ‘All Repairs’ on the top left.
- Select ‘Repair WMI’ and click on ‘Start Repairs’.
- After completion, restart your windows and try running Malwarebytes.
7. Run Malwarebytes Chameleon
Although using Malwarebytes chameleon has been discontinued but if go to the official website. You’ll find links to two software that can help in the removal of malware that won’t let you open malware bytes.
You can also use other tools or antivirus except for Malwarebytes if your problem is that some malware won’t let me open Malwarebytes.
8. Rename the mbam.exe to explorer.exe
In cases when you install Malwarebytes post-attack or malware infection. The malware or spyware may hinder with program and Malwarebytes premium won’t open. To avoid this issue you can rename the executable file name.
To rename the executable file of malware bytes.
- Go to C: Drive on your computer.
- Go to program files and open ‘Malwarebytes Anti-malware folder.
- Locate the executable file with the ‘mbam’ or ‘mbam.exe’ name.
- Right-click on the file and rename it to “explorer.exe”
- Restart your computer and launch Malwarebytes anti-malware
9. Try creating a new user account
A malware or spyware attack can sometimes corrupt your user account files in windows. This can cause issues while opening Malwarebytes in mac and windows. You can easily create a new account without losing your subscription or data.
Here’s how to create a new user account for Malwarebytes
- Use window key+ R to open the ‘RUN’ window
- Type cmd in Run Window and click “OK”. The command prompt will open.
- In command prompt type control userpasswords2
- A new window will appear and choose sign in with a Microsoft account option.
- Follow the instructions mentioned in the window, click next and create a local account.
- After creating a new account type shutdown-L to log off from your current account
- Log into the new account and Malwarebytes will open without problems
10. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware “Unable to Connect the Service” -fix
This is a rather peculiar error with Malwarebytes. Even reinstalling won’t work and Malwarebytes won’t open in safe mode windows 10. There are two fixes to this problem, first if your WMI file is broken refer to the “Repair corrupt file section above”.
The second and best one, You can fix the Malwarebytes interface not opening error by changing its startup type. Here are the steps to change it
- Press Window key+ R to open Run Window
- Type “services. msc” and select ok
- A list will appear, from that find and open ‘Windows Management Instrumentation’
- Change the startup type to automatic there
- Restart and run Malwarebytes.
Malwarebytes won’t open Reddit fix
Since new updates keep rolling out weekly for Malwarebytes. It is advisable to stay tuned about patches and new errors. Reddit has dedicated threads for Malwarebytes with experts providing effaceable solutions.
You can even update your specific problem with Malwarebytes not opening, with pictures and logs. It is possible someone with the same problem has the solution
Malware Bytes won’t open on mac?
We’ve got you covered for mac as a bonus if you try the anti-malware and Malwarebytes won’t open on mac. If you downloaded Malwarebytes from its official website and moved it to the applications, the Malwarebytes for mac won’t open.
Although you can still run the software through disk image utility it’s not a convenient fix. Another way you can solve the problem if Malwarebytes won’t open mac, by following the steps given below
- Make sure the downloaded file is named “MBAM-Mac-126.96.36.199.dmg”
- On opening the file, a “disk” named “MBAM for Mac” should appear on your desktop.
- Open that “disk,” a window will appear with the Malwarebytes icon with an arrow pointing to the application icon.
- Click and Drag the Malwarebytes icon to the Applications folder.
- You can now open the Malwarebytes Anti-malware form applications folder with ease.
Sometimes Malwarebytes won’t open and you cannot conduct malware scans on the computer. Try these 10 fixes mentioned and get it working back, and never let errors interrupt your browsing experience or compromise your security.
With these fixes at your hand, never again waste time if Malwarebytes won’t open. Keep up-to-date with the official website of Malwarebytes for new patches. Get the latest update and security the software has to offer.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I launch Malwarebytes?
To launch and Run malware scanner in Malwarebytes. Move your cursor on the icon of Malwarebytes, double-click. On the opened window move your cursor on the scan button and click. The scan will automatically start.
Is Malwarebytes Safe for windows?
Yes, Malwarebytes is absolutely safe for windows. Malwarebytes is the best choice for cyber security in windows. It’s popular and effective for protecting windows from ransomware and malware attacks. It outperforms other security software by a long margin in all species of defense against malicious programs.
Why is Malwarebytes not installing?
The official website of Malwarebytes suggests some prerequisites for the successful installation of malware bytes. If your Malwarebytes is not installing it may be due to the following two reasons.
Microsoft .NET Framework installed in windows is lower than 4.0 .Net Framework. Earlier files of Malwaybytes exist and are not cleaned. Windows defender is obstructing Malwarebytes from accessing folders.