What is Log Management?
Log Management is a general term that defines all the operations and procedures used to create, gather, centralize, parse, distribute, store, archive, and dispose of large amounts of log data generated by computers.
Log management tools have been used to handle and deal with all the logs created by applications, systems, servers, programs, or clients in any way that best fits the needs of an entity or business. Not only between networks and administrators but also between developers, log management is a common topic.
A large amount of log data generated by Routers, IDS/IPS, Servers, Databases, Switches, Firewalls, and Web Servers. The log management systems examine this information to figure out if there are any security risks. Log management systems can aggregate and list any log and machine data.
Log Management is divided into six segments
- Log Collection: Protection devices such as firewalls and intrusion detection systems are the most challenging in terms of the data amount they generate. Usually, these systems create thousands of EPS (events per second), calling for a log collector to manage the corresponding logs.
- Centralized Log Management: The method of aggregating all logs in one location, no matter their source, is centralized log aggregation. Tools for log management must be able to keep up with this pace, which is why a tool’s EPS must be quick. The regularization method takes all logs obtained and converts them into a standard output so that it is easier to interpret the information inside the log.
- Long-Term Log Storage and Retention: You may opt to store it in big box stores while storing the log by physically backing up records on hard-drives, disks, or store them in the cloud. In this stage, the key question is how long you need to preserve logs.
- Log Analysis Tool: Log management tools automate and optimize the log data review process, offering sophisticated ways of presenting the observations. To highlight the connections and correlations between activities and data, analytics monitoring uses maps, graphs, and other graphics, making it easier to identify problems and track their causes.
- Log Rotation: By automatically changing the name, resizing, relocating, or erasing log files that are too large or too outdated, log rotation helps address log storage. You can select a timeframe after which the log is erased, compacted to save space, or sent to a different location by email.
- Log Search and Reporting: Via a centralized log management approach and advanced search options, log management tools enable log search and reporting. Search features significantly affect the quality of log management tools and is not difficult to understand. Advanced search helps you look at unstructured and structured logs and collect data on specific incidents to determine the root cause.
Why is Log Management Important?
Nowadays, technically every significant event, particularly those that take place online and machines like cell phones and gadgets, is documented somehow. So, it is essential to use proper log management tools to track all the device activity.
Some of the most outstanding components of the IT industry are focused on log management tools. The use of a structured approach towards logs has many benefits.
These are some of the significant ones.
Features of Log Management
- Centralized storage: Centralized storage is one of the critical benefits of log management. It makes any research much more comfortable to have all logs in one place, but the real use of centralized storage is to increase your system’s security. Storing together valuable log data speeds up the entire operation. Centralized log management also means unified log data, which also saves time during search across distinct sources.
- Data analytics: With data science growth, businesses are beginning to realize that useful knowledge can be found in the data they hold. Data analytics includes many methods, such as data cleaning and transformation, to develop a data model that can predict certain activities, assist in business decision-making, or provide new information.
- Superior Troubleshooting: Log management provides you with better monitoring of your IT environment and a better understanding of your devices and peripherals’ procedures. Network troubleshooting is the most critical use of event logs for detecting issues. Real-time warnings significantly reduce the time required to identify and resolve a problem, but log data analysis lies in the real power of log management software.
- Enhanced Security: Your IT network will be better protected against cyberattacks, thanks to 24-hour real-time device monitoring and warnings. You can strengthen security even further by carefully selecting which events to report.
- System Monitoring and Notification: The Windows Defender security Log is among hackers’ favorite attack targets because of its vulnerability. By modifying this log, attackers attempt to protect their traces and mask their identity. You can recognize any unusual activity until it’s too late by logging and recording login and log-out events inside the Windows Security Log.
- Logfile parsing: For easier storage and manipulation, Parsing is done. It is the procedure of splitting data into smaller pieces of information. Since each log file consists of data pieces, the objective is to identify identical properties and allow the information to be grouped by those structures. Recognizing all entries inside a log file and collecting logs from a specific span or just monitoring one user’s behavior.
Types Of Log Management Software
Self-Managed & Open Source Log Management
Many businesses prefer to self-manage their log data, effectively creating in the process their private log management service. It’s essential to understand the costs that come with operating and managing your system before incorporating a custom solution such as this.
There will be many good aspects to remember, as greater versatility in design will occur, but at the expense of much greater organizational complexity.
Log management tools for complex software systems are not always the easiest to deal with, access, and critical. One of the best things you can use is a centralized log management solution when faced with a development problem. Most cloud logging companies have a range of representatives and investors working with popular stacks, protocols, and log forms, abstracting common problems with log size spikes, log lines falling, and searching and processing in real-time.
There are also specific requirements in an organization to have total control and ownership of anything that happens in your infrastructure, whether it be for enforcement, protection, and privacy.
How To Choose The Best Log Management Software?
Based on log length, scalability, enforcement, or log retention, every organization can have specific logging needs. Here are the key variables to remember.
Scalability and Flexibility
A significant determining factor is cost. Pay by gig is the most versatile and intelligent way for a logging service to be used. You could go from handling several thousand logs a day to a few million overnights, based on your commodity. As you develop, your log management tools need to evolve. Here is a helpful to-do list to consider when assessing your overall running costs and what you will need from a log management software.
- Expenses for storage maintenance
- Free demo and quick download
- Free Live Tail Plan available
- Conformity and protection
- Per GB granular billing average
- Features are given per each schedule.
- User thresholds & implementation plans if they are surpassed
- Capability to monitor the number of logs
Regulatory Security Compliance
If your firm is related to health care and associated services, you should choose log management software in compliance with HIPAA acts.
In order to secure electronic health records and patient information, regulations have been developed through the Hitech Act amendment. Log management and auditing criteria are also adequately addressed by HIPAA.
- What secure information is altered/exchanged?
- Updates on tech and protection
- Irregular Pattern of use
- Logins of Staff
- Who accessed which data and when
- The operation for the consumer and device
Log Size and Retention
It is vital to work out what your everyday amount of log data will be, prepare for knowledge fluctuations and odd behaviors. If your use is for real-time debugging and live tail, or whether you have to keep enforcement logs, you will need to find out how long to store that info.
List of Top 15 Log Management Tools/Software
Finding the best log management software is a cumbersome process. Here we have simplified this tedious task for you.
For hybrid cloud environments, Datadog is an invaluable monitoring service. Datadog offers end-to-end transparency across the diverse, high-scale system by gathering metrics, incidents, and logs from more than 500 technologies.
Datadog, a log management tool, boosts debugging efforts to compile, analyze, and archive all your logs with extensive, correlated data from around your world, with flexible indexing regulations that make it cost-effective.
- Investigate and Troubleshoot Issues Faster
- Easily Manage Your Logs with an Intuitive Platform
- Use of elegant, facet-driven navigation to illustrate and explore collected logs-no markup language needed.
- Build dashboards for real-time log analytics in seconds with the drag-and-drop capabilities of Datadog.
- Datadog is following auto-tagging and metric correlation.
- Control Costs without Sacrificing Visibility
- Troubleshoot Performance Issues Faster
- Use of machine learning-based monitoring solution and detect quickly discovered log patterns and errors.
- Spend Less Time Scaling and Maintaining Your Tools
- See Inside Any Stack, Any App, At Any Scale, Anywhere
- Receive Alerts Only for the Issues That Matter & Eliminate False-Positives
- Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, Linux, Debian, CentOS, RedHat.
- Prices are available in two packages
- A free trial is available.
- It starts at $1.27 per million log events per month for the 7-day retention.
- There is also a plan for $0.10 per ingested or scanned GB per month.
- For more information, visit Datadog.
The SolarWinds Log Analyzer executes log aggregation, tagging, filtering, alerting, and efficient troubleshooting for you. This event log management tool has log tagging features, efficient search & filter, real-time log stream, integration of the Orion platform, integration of Orion Alert, and collection & review of log & events.
- Collect and organize log files in real-time from devices, applications, servers, and databases
- The tool enables you to use several search parameters to perform searches and apply filters.
- Identify root causes and resolve security issues faster with an event log management tool.
- Detect, track, and analyze malicious events in your network to improve mean time-to-resolution
- With the assistance of the log monitoring software, it will allow you to do root cause analysis.
- Correlate event data with threat intelligence in real-time to improve security incident awareness
- It will have a stream of collaborative and real-time logs.
- Leverage log files analysis to stay compliant with internal policies and industry auditors
- Other features include:
- Powerful search and filter log monitoring
- Orion Platform integration
- Log and event management and analysis tool
- Cloud-based log management solution
- Network monitoring
- Log collection
- Windows 7, Windows 8, Linux, Mac, Windows 10, and network devices are OS.
- A free trial is available for only 30 days.
- Price may vary as per the demand of the work.
- It usually starts with $2613 for a perpetual license.
- Visit the SolarWinds Log Analyzer website by clicking here.
Splunk offers a log management software that can transform data from machines into responses. Splunk, a log management tool, has index machine information features, search/correlate & examine, drill-down review, track & warn, and dashboard and reports. It will allow any computer data to be collected, searched, processed, indexed, correlated, visualized, and analyzed.
- It can store any system data and index it.
- Also performs network monitoring, infrastructure monitoring.
- It has a quest, evaluation, and presentation in real-time.
- With a cloud-based solution, it has the ability to store up to 90 days of records.
- Access to APIs and SDKs for the developer environment with the premium plans.
- The log can be stored in the cloud memory or the premise of the organization.
- This Splunk solution is scalable with your data.
- Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris.
- Splunk provides three plans, i.e., Splunk Free, Splunk Cloud, and plunk Business.
Sematext Logs is a cloud-based log management tool with a centralized log management solution that permits you to collect, index, store, and perform real-time analysis of logs from multiple data sources. It includes live log stream, notifying, and potent DevOps search & filtering capabilities to fix problems faster.
- Sematext Logs without infrastructure maintenance or paying costly consultants is a fully controlled ELK in the Cloud.
- Correlate logs under one roof with technology and application metrics – log analysis, performance management, and real user monitoring solution.
- Monitoring and review of real-time logs from a single dashboard for quicker and simplified troubleshooting.
- To guarantee end-to-end visibility for DevOps, SysAdmins, IT Administrators, aggregate, warn and analyze log data in real-time.
- Email, PagerDuty, Slack, HipChat, BigPanda, OpsGenie, VictorOps, WebHooks, Nagios, Zapier, etc., are some built-in integrations.
- Ship your logs via HTTPS through encrypted TLS/SSL channels.
- Sematext guarantees end-to-end visibility, making it easier for DevOps to track and troubleshoot performance problems before they affect users.
- Control who can access your logs through an App token and API key.
- Windows, Linux, Mac, Docker, Kubernetes.
- The pricing policy of Sematext log management software is divided into three plans.
- Basic: free of cost, 500MB per day log data with seven day retention period
- Standard: $50 per month( $1.67/day), 1gb per day log data with 7 day retention period.
- Pro: $60 per month($2/day), 1gb per day log data with 7 day retention period
- A free trial is there for 14 days only.
- For more information and the difference between plans, visit their official website by clicking here.
For log management, LogDNA offers an integrated solution. It can provide services on-site, cloud-based log management and analysis, and then on deployment. This program can aggregate, track, and analyze the logs in full detail. It has modern UI characteristics, quick search & filtering, and intelligent alerting.
- Effective rules of exclusion: Store only necessary files by excluding messy logs, keeping your log size under control.
- Archive everything: forward your logs for adherence or later analysis to S3 or some other object storage of your choosing.
- Presence/absence warnings: presence and absence alerts are easy to know when something is wrong.
- One-click filters: Easy to use filters that allow you to drill down based on program, host, cluster, etc.
- Analysis tool and monitoring: To grasp machine behavior holistically, visualize and aggregate critical events.
- Syntax of human search: Search your logs with basic keywords or date spans or natural languages without complicated syntax.
- Windows, Mac, Linux.
- The pricing policy of LogDNA is categorized into five plans. A free trial is available.
- Free: $0/GB data per month with a single user feature
- Birch: $1.5/GB data per month with a retention period of 7 days and up to 5 users.
- Maple: $2/GB data per month with a retention period of 14 days and up to 10 users.
- Oak: $3/GB data per month with a retention period of 30 days and up to 25 users.
- Custom: 1TB of data per day
- For more info on custom packages and other services, click here.
Graylog offers a centralized application for log management that can record, store, and analyze terabytes of device data in real-time. From different log sources, data centers, and geographies, terabytes of data can be carried in. Depending on the relationship between multiple events, the correlation engine will allow you to create complex alerts. Graylog will make it easier for you to prepare the data. This offers better search, views, and dashboards.
- It will rapidly evaluate the details and provide an efficient response to the incident.
- It offers a quicker cyber threat warning.
- It has an intuitive and simple UI that allows you to analyze, warn, and report data.
- It has record keeping, management, processing, refining, and protection & efficiency features.
- User audit logs: Monitor who has accessed the log data and what steps they have taken to ensure enforcement and protection against it.
- Indexing: Store older slow storage data, and when you need it, quickly re-import it into Graylog.
- Teams management: Accesses and resources of the control organization. LDAP/Active Directory integration is included.
- Windows, Ubuntu 12.04, 14.04, Debian, RHEL/CentOS 6, 7
- Three types of plans are provided by Graylog, which are
Fluentd is a free, open-source data collector that allows you to unify data collection and usage for better data utilization and understanding. Providing a single logging layer in between will operate by decoupling data sources from the data sources by providing a single logging layer in between.
- Unified JSON logging: This enables Fluentd to unify all aspects of log file processing: log selection, sorting, encoding, and log production from various sources and destinations.
- Fluentd is in a combination of C and Ruby languages, requiring very few machine resources. On 30-40MB of memory, the vanilla instance runs and can process 13,000 events/second/core.
- As written in a combination of C and Ruby language, a small machine resource will be used.
- Fluentd has over 500 plugins that can relate to several sources and outputs of data.
- Windows, Mac, & Linux.
- It is a free and open-source log management software.
- Click here to visit Fluentd.
LOGalyze is a free software for open source, unified log administration, and network monitoring. LOGalyze is the best option if you would like to manage all of your log files in one place. It offers the identification of real-time event management and comprehensive search capabilities.
LOGalyze is also an open-source network management platform that minimizes internal costs, increases network uptime, improves network performance, and removes unnecessary traffic from the network.
- It has the ability to analyze logs of custom business apps.
- Process log files at high speed.
- Parsing of any log row with Log Definitions, whether it is built-in or custom created.
- Build real-time multi-dimensional statistics based on separate log fields.
- The AHR ticketing system offers a powerful mechanism for quicker closure of your open accidents.
- Alert and inform users or other systems when an event is created that fits one or more defined criteria.
- With a web-based administration Interface, browse or search logs.
- LOGalyze offers reports to help comply with different regulatory actions, such as:
- HIPAA: Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act.
- PCI DSS:- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard
- Sarbanes: Oxley Act
- PSZAF: HPT
- Transport log files safely to other LOGalyze engines or Syslog servers.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 or newer (32 bit or 64 bit), SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 or newer (32 bit or 64 bit), Solaris 10, Windows Server 2003 or 2008 (32 bit or 64 bit)
- Free of cost
- Visit logalyze for more information.
Another trustworthy name for the monitoring system is the ManageEngine Eventlog analyzer. It comes with the ability to gather, manage, evaluate, compare, and scan through the 700 log file sources and manage up to 25,000 messages per second. ManageEngine Eventlog analyzer can alleviate data breaches with the ability to do an investigative analysis of past incidents and leverage real-time pattern matching.
- A real-time correlation of events can help you uncover complicated patterns of attack.
- Network system tracking, safety log, application log, and event management can be done with the ManageEngine Eventlog analyzer.
- By gathering, analyzing, and correlating any application log data, application log monitoring will give you actionable insights.
- ManageEngine Eventlog analyzer offers the functionality of log management of activities, Syslog server management, and log management of servers.
- Windows, Linux, Red Hat 8.0, Mandrake/Mandriva, CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian.
- Pricing policy of the ManageEngine Eventlog analyzer may vary as per the requirement of the organization
- For a minimum of ten Syslog servers, five-window servers, and a hundred window workstation, the price is $1185.
- You can personalize your own plan as per your need; just visit the official website by clicking here.
Papertrail is a cloud-based log management solution. Cloud-hosted log management solution from SolarWinds Papertrail can usually be enabled in less than a minute and linked to the servers you want to track much faster than that. The ability to do expeditious searches of log events in real-time and the live tail feature is the most convincing facet of this tool.
- Quick setup: Simple to execute, use and comprehend. Get visibility, usually in minutes, across all systems.
- Establish robust per-user access control policies, automatic backups, and historical data repositories of up to one year
- Assimilate and database: Work with existing mutual, powerful resources.
- Team Visibility: Without any SSH/RDP awareness or access, less knowledgeable technical personnel will be able to view logs.
- Log analytics: In the last 10 minutes, troubleshoot a spike or spot patterns over the past two weeks.
- Papertrail includes Syslog server routers and firewalls, Text log files, Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Windows events Cloud hosting, Tomcat Apache, Heroku apps.
- Windows 7, 8, 10, Linux,
- Papertrail comes in seven different plans you can choose as per your need.
- For more information, click here.
11. Sumo Logic
Sumo Logic is a cloud-based analytics company for machine data focusing on stability, operations, and BI use cases. Sumo Logic provides log management and analytics services that exploit big data generated by machines to deliver IT insights in real-time. Sumo Logic’s cloud-based approach overcomes the inherent challenges of solutions based on-premises, including scalability limitations, inefficient or haphazard analysis, and unregulated costs.
- Improve accessibility and consistency with unified log management.
- Simplify protection and unified log management compliance.
- Cloud-based log management software.
- Windows, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6+, CentOS 6+, Ubuntu Linux 14+, Debian Linux 8+, Amazon Linux AMI, SuSE 12+, Mac OS X.
- Sumo Logic pricing policy consists of four plans
- Essential: $305 per 3GB
- Operation: $675 per 5GB
- Security: $718 per 5GB
- Enterprise: $2408 per 15GB
- You can avail SumoLogic free trial or a Free version.
The Logz io, provided as a completely managed cloud service, is the best open source for log management. Logz io has since developed in its own right into an enterprise-class log management tool. With the capacity to real-time analyze log data and apply artificial intelligence, Logz io succeeds in discovering root causes for specific errors or events, making it a perfect fit for the use-case of security and compliance.
- Effective scan, granular dashboards
- The related log is grouped together by Log Patterns, so you can easily understand the log data your environment produced.
- To recognize logs that indicate oncoming production problems, Insights uses ML.
- Identify high-priority development events on your preferred system of notification immediately.
- Our high-powered Kibana allows engineers to find the data they need quickly.
- Windows, Linux, Mac.
- Price is divided into three plans:
- Community: $0 with 1-day lof log retention
- Pro: $1.08 with 7-day log retention
- Enterprise: custom
- Contact Logz.io for more information.
- Before they impact users, monitor essential resources and metrics and eliminate problems.
- Trace issues down to the root cause of them.
- Work as a team with DevOps tools using data and analysis.
- To answer critical questions, track SLA compliance, and spot trends, analyze and visualize your data.
- Loggly facilitates the reporting of investigations and KPI.
- Windows, Linux, Mac.
- Four plans are there:
- Lite: free of cost
- Standard: $79 per month
- Pro: $159 per month
- Enterprise: $279 per month
- For more information on different plan features, click here.
- Integration with Active Directory: Connects with users, groups, and computers.
- Processing Distributed & Aggregated.
- Schedule generation and delivery of automated reports.
- The bt-LogAnalyzer control list includes a continuously modified URL master database. Their Technicians in the Control List research to not have to spend precious time identifying web content.
- Reports on Diverse Business Unit Site Use.
- Windows, Ubuntu 12.04, 14.04, Debian.
- Contact Burstek for pricing information.
To ease cloud complexity and accelerate digital transformation, Dynatrace provides software intelligence. Its all-in-one platform provides accurate responses to the output of applications and the underlying infrastructure. All users experience automated and intelligent observability at scale to allow organizations to innovate faster, communicate more effectively, and produce more value with significantly less effort.
- Most comprehensive support for multi-cloud & technology.
- Fast integration, transparent and automated.
- Quick and versatile deployment.
- Open source log: unlimited data with enterprise features.
- A network for the autonomous cloud to power.
- Windows, Ubuntu, Debian, Mac, Linux.
- The pricing policy has four plans.
- Full-stack: $69 per month per 8 GB Host.
- Infrastructure: $21 per month per 8 GB Host.
- Digital experience: $11 per month with a 10k Digital Experience monitoring system.
- Contact Dynatrace for more information.
Log management software is essential to manage all the small changes that have been made on your devices. Always try to compare different types of best log management tools/software before investing money. All the necessary details shown in the above article will help you determine your esteemed organization’s best log management tools.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are system logs necessary?
Logging is essential for a network because it helps the device to troubleshoot, stable, investigate or debug issues. The first step in troubleshooting issues starts by viewing the log of events. The log records the messages and the dates of the system’s activities. The best log management tools can easily handle this work.
Are log files important?
This data will provide valuable clues from inside and outside about hostile behavior affecting your network. Log data may also include configuration issues and hardware failure to detect and troubleshoot equipment issues. Log management solution will take care of all this type of data.