Files installed by Lavasoft Web Companion created the software application called Web Companion. The program sets a startup registration point in Windows upon installation so that it will launch automatically whenever a user turns on their computer.
A background controller service is added and configured to launch automatically. This service’s start time can be postponed using the service manager. A scheduled job is uploaded to Windows Task Scheduler to launch the program at predetermined intervals. Please do not confuse it with Windows Task Manager.
Lavasoft.AdAware.dll is the name of the main executable. The setup package typically installs 58 files and is 11.75 MB in size. Most users that have this installed on their PCs are using Windows 10 and 7, compared to the total number of users (SP1).
How can one uninstall a web companion?
- Manual Approach
- For Windows
- For Apple Mac
- Mozilla Firefox
- Automatic Method
What is Web Companion?
Web Companion is a barrier between your browser and harmful websites and safeguards your browser’s settings against unauthorized changes. Ad-Aware Web Companion compliments your antivirus and browser’s defense against the most recent and potent malware.
Software development company Adaware, formerly Lavasoft, produces spyware and virus protection tools, including Adaware Web Companion. Additionally, they created Lavasoft Digital Lock, Adaware Ad Block, Adaware File Shredder, Lavasoft Registry Tuner, and Lavasoft Privacy Toolbox. Solaria Fund acquired Lavasoft in January 2011.
They allegedly sold a starter edition of Lavasoft’s Security Program before their eventual purchase of the business. Examples of programs that alter web browsers without the user’s consent include the Lavasoft Web and the K-Lite Codec PackCompanion.
Does it get installed without our knowledge?
There’s a considerable likelihood the application got downloaded and installed without your knowledge if you’re searching for it online. This is due to the “Web Companion” program installing itself on your system without your consent and being bundled with additional software that you might not have intentionally downloaded.
Although it is claimed that the companion guards against viruses and malware, there isn’t much that sets it from malware, the program alters some internet settings without the user’s awareness. It doesn’t benefit the computer’s performance.
It is classified as a possibly undesirable program due to how its creators distribute it (PUP). Users typically install these apps without knowledge, allowing the software to change browser settings.
The official website offers a download for Web Companion. However, consumers frequently install it by mistake. This is due to the “bundling” strategy used by software developers.
Bundling misleads users into installing potentially unwanted programs/ apps and other software. Developers frequently conceal these apps in “Custom,” “Advanced,” and other corresponding downloading or installation setup settings/options. The integration of these PUPs into installations is not fully disclosed information.
They are easily missed, especially if the download and installation processes are skipped and all other settings are left alone.
How to know if Web companion is installed?
After installation, Adaware Web Companion can be extremely annoying and pose a serious threat. The program will display pop-ups claiming to defend against the following dangers:
- Invasive advertisements
- Shady websites
- Ponzi schemes
- tracking of data
You can see a barrage of alerts whenever you switch on your pc because these cautions don’t have an expiration date for the windows service. Due to its constant appearance, it significantly degrades customers’ browsing experiences.
Unfortunately, the infection check results and supplemental advertising provided by the application are fake.
Files installed by Web Companion (including unwanted extensions)
- Lavasoft.AdAware.dll – AdAware
- log4net.dll (by The Apache Software Foundation) – log4net (Apache log4net for .NET Framework 2.0)
- Lavasoft.Utils.dll – Utils
- Ad-Aware Web Companion.exe
- Lavasoft.SearchProtect.Repositories.dll – SearchProtect.Repositories
- Lavasoft.CSharp.Utilities.dll – Lavasoft.CSharp.Utilities
- Lavasoft.PUP.Management.dll – Lavasoft.PUP.Management
- Lavasoft.SearchProtect.Business.dll – SearchProtect.Business
- Lavasoft.adblocker.dll – Lavasoft.adblocker
- Lavasoft.SearchProtect.WinService.exe – SPWindowsService
- Lavasoft.SysInfo.dll – Lavasoft.SysInfo
- Lavasoft.SmartAssemblyUI.dll – UICustomization
- Lavasoft.SearchProtect.Service.Logger.dll – ServiceLogger
- Lavasoft.Utils.SqlLite.dll – Utils.SqlLite
- ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll (by ICSharpCode.net) – #ZipLibrary (SharpZipLibrary unlabelled version)
- Lavasoft.Automation.dll – Automation (Lavasoft.Automation)
- Lavasoft.SearchProtect.WcfService.dll – SPWcfLib
- Installer.exe – Web CompanionInstaller
- AASearchCompanion.exe – Search Companion
- WebCompanion.exe – Web Companion
- WebCompanionWebUI.exe – WebCompanion
- Interop.LavasoftTcpServiceLib.dll – Assembly imported from a type library.’
- Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary.dll – Assembly imported from a type library.’IWshRuntimeLibrary.’
- Interop.SHDocVw.dll – Assembly imported from a type library.’
- Interop.Shell32.dll – Assembly imported from a type library.’
- (Boot/Login) Scheduled Task
- Lavasoft Search Protect.
- Tasks are planned.
- Startup File (All Users Run)
- Startup Files (User Run)
1. (Boot/Login) Scheduled Task
- A scheduled job with the name 1. Service launches WebCompanion.exe automatically when the computer starts up.
2. Lavasoft Search Protect.
- WinService.exe functions as the ‘IE Search Set’ service (SearchProtectionService).
3. Tasks are planned.
- Ad-Aware Task 0195D08A-282E-4316-AC5C-0C9D5C2FC7E8 is scheduled for Web Companion.exe (runs on registration).
- Task “B9B2559A-1F16-4795-A5CF-40B0060553DF” is scheduled for WebCompanion.exe (runs on registration).
- Task ‘189A2292-4923-48D4-AC13-9E62F04C0CE1’ is scheduled for WebCompanionInstaller.exe (runs on registration).
4. Startup File (All Users Run)
- The startup file “Web Companion” is loaded as C: Program FilesLavasoftWeb CompanionApplication in the all users (HKLM) registry as WebCompanion.exe.
- Minimize WebCompanion.exe.
5. Startup Files (User Run)
- WebCompanion.exe is loaded as an auto-starting binary with the name “Web Companion” in the current user’s (HKCU) registry and runs as “C: Program FilesLavasoftWeb CompanionApplication.” Minimize WebCompanion.exe.
- Ad-Aware Search Companion is loaded as an auto-starting application named AASearchCompanion.exe in the current user (HKCU) registry, and it runs as C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Web Companion\Application\ AASearchCompanion.exe.
Is Adaware/ Lavasoft safe?
Adaware, there are several reasons why Web Companion is risky.
- Web Companion, an online security application, uses the outdated HTTP extension on its official website. It does not possess any HTTPS certificates.
- This outdated extension is marked as “not secure” by most browsers, including Google Chrome. The software probably lacks the funding necessary to develop better secure encryption techniques because it is a free utility.
- Browser hijacking is an additional problem experienced by Web Companion users. Bing will take over as your primary web browser after you install it.
- If you successfully replace your old browser the first time, the web companion will keep asking you to change the settings until it gives up after the third attempt.
- Before the Superfish incident, Lavasoft was reported for using Komodia SSL Digester in the Web Companion application.
- Experts claim that Komodia SSL Digestor compromises the security of your browser. Decoding protected web pages and inserting advertisements into them is its goal.
- The most worrying aspect of Web Companion is that, according to its policy, Lavasoft can give users’ “non-personal” data to other parties.
- After Web Companion has been installed on your browser, everything you post on open platforms cannot be verified as secure or private. As previously mentioned, the program’s parent company, affiliate companies, and other parties may receive access to your personal information.
- Lavasoft may compile information about your operating system according to the End-User License Agreement for Web Companion (release, bit architecture, version, etc.). It can conflict with installed apps. Additionally, it can negatively affect your Windows’ IP and services.
- The most important caution is that if you already use a reliable security tool, like Malwarebytes, it will quickly identify the application. It is recognized as follows by a wide variety of security devices: PUFF.WebCompanion!, 8.9E98, Riskware/WebCompanion, A Different Version Of MSIL/WebCompanion.C Potentially PUA CJ generic (PUA).
Therefore, it is advised that you purchase reliable software to secure the safety of your PC. You can successfully fish out fake programs like these in this manner.
How can one prevent the installation of a web companion?
- Check all “Advanced,” “Custom,” and similar settings/options before downloading or installing software, deselect (opt-out of) any unwanted apps, and then finish the process.
- Avoid third-party downloaders, torrents, and illegitimate or dubious sources when downloading software.
- Use only direct links and authorized websites. Because cybercriminals spend lots of funds on ad design, even the most offensive adverts will look legitimate.
- However, when clicked, they frequently lead to shady or dubious websites like those that feature adult dating, gambling, or pornography.
- If you encounter these referrals or the advertising that produces them, check your browser for any harmful extensions, add-ons, or plug-ins.
- Check out the list of installed programs on your system as well. Unwanted or questionable entries should be deleted.
- The ways to remove PUPs are provided in the next section if your machine is already afflicted.
How can one uninstall web companions?
1. Manual Approach
Follow these steps to begin the uninstalling process:
(a). For Windows
- Find the Control Panel by typing its name into the Search field next to the Start menu button, then click the first result.
- From the Programs section of the Control Center box, choose “Uninstall a software.”
- Once the Programs and Features box has opened, scroll through the list of installed programs until you locate the Web Companion program.
- Right-click the entry and choose the Uninstall option to eliminate the Web Companion software off your Windows computer.
- Click on the option to recover your internet browser and press the Remove button on the following screen.
- Hold off and let the uninstalling procedure complete.
To verify that it’s been successfully erased, restart your computer.
(b). Apple Mac
- Launch “Finder” to remove adware Web Companion on a Mac. Go to your desktop and click the “Finder” icon in the Dock there to do this. From the window that appears, choose “Applications.”
- PS: By default, “Applications” will be listed in your Favorites menu.
- All of the applications that are installed directly on your Mac will be listed as a result. You can find Web Companion by scrolling down. When you see the trash icon in the Dock, drag Web Companion and drop it. Next, click “Empty Trash” after pressing and holding the trash symbol till the phrase “Empty Trash” appears.
- Your computer has been cleared of Web Companion. Even if you don’t have Web Companion on your computer, you might, especially if you’ve been downloading unusual things from questionable sites.
(c). To use Chrome
It’s important to reboot the Chrome web browser to ensure that nothing is still being tampered with. The default Chrome settings will be reinstated.
- First, launch Google Chrome and select the Menu option. It will show the Google Chrome homepage.
- Select Extensions underneath More Tools. A list of the installed extensions will be displayed. Go to number three if the plugin is marked in the list as “Installed by corporate policy” or “Installed by your administrator.”
- Take away any Chrome extensions that were put in due to corporate policy.
- Select the “Settings” option after returning to the Google Chrome menu.
- The Chrome settings page will be displayed. The “Advanced” option can be found by scrolling down.
- Scroll down, and Chrome will show you the screen where you may reset your profile settings.
- Next, select “Reset” from the menu.
After completing this process, your browser’s default settings for the default search engine, starting page, and new tab page will be restored.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and select the Firefox menu option to get started. It will reveal the menu on the right side of the browser.
- Select the Help icon (Firefox help button).
- From the Help menu, choose “Troubleshooting Information.” You may also put “about support” into your browser’s address bar and press Enter to get to the “Troubleshooting Information” screen.
- The “Troubleshooting Information” page will also appear.
- On this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” icon in the top-right corner. The dialogue box for confirmation will show up. After that, select “Refresh Firefox.”
- Firefox will start a process to fix any problems brought on by PUPs. Once you’re done, press the “Finish” button. Problem solved!
- Operating a holistic approach scan as soon as applications you don’t recognize turn up on your computer is recommended.
You can accomplish that using a more practical automatic procedure.
2. Automatic Method
In this situation, you can delete programs in bulk and their related files and leftovers using a specialized Windows Uninstaller. This ensures that the Web Companion App is completely removed from your PC.
Install and run an antivirus to detect and eliminate any infections, malware, spyware, Trojan horses, and other dangers that monstrosity products frequently fail to detect in our computers from browser hijackers and adware.
Systweak Antivirus has long been a suggested option to combat current and emerging dangers when cleaning up an infected device.
- Download, set up, and run your selected antivirus program on our PCSeSelectr Custom Scafrom the main dashboard n as your preferred scanning from the main dashboard g mode.
- The antivirus software has a powerful scanning engine that thoroughly examines your hard drive to identify all potential threats to your computer.
To eliminate all the risks, click “Protect Now,” “Clean Now,” or any other option your preferred antivirus has.
The answer is “definitely,” if you’re still debating whether to uninstall Web Companion from your computer.
You can uninstall the app from your computer with the help of the methods we’ll provide shortly. The process of manual expulsion is quick. In any case, use our suggested tools to ensure the system doesn’t contain unnecessary files.
Remember to start operating with each framework’s startup; such apps will often modify the PC’s library and make other adjustments.
Is Web Companion Malware?
Because the developers encourage misleading techniques like bundling, the program is categorized as a PUA because users frequently install it unwittingly and find it challenging to remove. If a dishonest supplier delivers an application, users should exercise caution and not put their reliance on it.
Is Disabling Web Companion Required?
Given Web Companion Lavasoft’s troubled past and the harm it does as malicious files, it must be permanently disabled. Additionally, delete it as soon as possible to prevent any suspicious behavior or modifications on your browser. Users should be cautious and not rely on it if a dishonest seller provides it.
What Is Lavasoft Web Companion?
Windows malware detection software is created by adware. One of the browser extensions that comes pre-installed on your browser along with the virus protection software of this type is Adware Virus Protection called Web Companion.