What is Knowledge Management Software
Knowledge Management Software helps in organizing the data or information as it will allow the internal and external users to access the information in an efficient way. Moreover, you can distribute the information with the help of a knowledge management system. A knowledge management system collects the information in one place, and you can easily share the data among several departments in your organization, both internally and externally.
Knowledge management software helps in organizing the data or information as it will allow the customers and employees to access the information in an efficient way. Moreover, the employees can distribute the information with the help of knowledge management software. A knowledge management software collects the information in one place to prevent data silos and to make it easier for the customers to access the data.
Furthermore, a knowledge management solution also provides a content management system such as creating a knowledge base, which the customers and employees can use without any hassles. If you are opting for a knowledge management platform, you can get services to enhance self-service customer support, employee knowledge empowerment, and information asset management. In this article, we are listing down the top knowledge management software solutions you can select for your company or organization.
Features of a Knowledge Management Software
The common or basic features of good knowledge management software are as follows:
- Easy to use- An ideal KMS must be easy or simple to use. This means it should be easy to use, implement, and access irrespective of a person’s skill level.
- Powerful search mechanism- An important feature of a KMS is a powerful search mechanism that allows users to search seamlessly. Therefore, a good KMS must have a google-like search mechanism, where users can get content suggestions when they type a keyword.
- Compatible with multiple-devices- An important feature of a KMS is that it should be compatible with multiple devices and browsers such as mobile phones, tablets, computers, and laptops. It should support browsers like Chrome, Firefox, etc.
- Customizable features– A good KMS should have a customizable feature to customize the knowledge base whenever you want to make some changes.
- Team collaboration– since you cannot manage a KMS by yourself, ensure that the KMS you choose allows team collaboration for managing, creating, and maintaining your knowledge base.
- Reports and insights- Another important feature is the reports and insights of how your content is doing on your knowledge platform.
- Feedback system- A KMS must have a feedback system, which allows all the external readers to give feedback and suggestions on your articles.
- Content authoring and editing- This is an important feature that every KMS offers to its users. Since content is the core of any knowledge base, the KMS you choose provides you with tools to smoothly edit, write, and publish your articles on your knowledge base.
Reasons To Select A Knowledge Management Software
There is a huge amount of content being created every day, and to help manage this data over the internet, a knowledge management platform is a must. Anyone, including companies, individuals, or organizations, can opt for a KMS to organize the data and make it accessible for employees and customers.
Moreover, most customers believe in self-service rather than going to the support team for queries as most of the consumers prefer self-service knowledge instead of human interaction. Therefore, to enhance customer satisfaction and customer experience, most companies opt for a knowledge management solution.
Types of Knowledge Management Software
There are two major types of Knowledge management software.
- Enterprise-wide KMS
Enterprise-wide KMS is for managing and streamlining the work for organizational productivity. An organization can focus on other tasks on hand, rather than the data management for the organization. An enterprise-wide KMS helps in increasing the productivity and efficiency of an organization by reducing the workload of data management.
The modules present in the enterprise-wide KMS are as follows:
- Knowledge base
- Enterprise data integration system (EDIS)
- Enterprise resource planning (ERS)
- Knowledge community management map
- Knowledge collector
- Enterprise talent map
- Knowledge work system
This system provides business-wide knowledge and it is specifically built for engineers, scientists, and other knowledge workers that want to discover and create new knowledge. Knowledge work system includes modern technologies such as artificial intelligence and machine learning that allows users to enhance their productivity and adapt in a competitive market.
Advantages of Knowledge Management Software
Some of the advantages of knowledge management software are as follows:
- You can easily communicate with external and internal users.
- You can easily make decisions and solve problems quickly with some assistance from the software.
- You can develop better strategies to grow your business.
- There is better and fast decision-making.
- You can create better products and services through feedback from consumers.
- You can get insights about your entire knowledge base and particular articles as well.
- You can improve profitability
- You can recognize opportunities earlier than your competitor, and this way, you get a competitive edge over your rivals.
- There is improved customer experience and support.
Disadvantages of Knowledge Management Software
Some of the disadvantages of knowledge management software are as follows:
- You may have to give proper training to workers before they can use this software as some management tools may be hard to use.
- You have to implement proper planning for efficiently capturing and recording business knowledge.
- You have to ensure that the Information and resources are easy to find on your knowledge base by using the KMS.
- Another challenge or a disadvantage of KMS is employee motivation as motivating workers for sharing, reusing, and applying knowledge can be challenging.
- You have to integrate knowledge management into the current processes and information systems.
Applications of Knowledge Management Software
The applications are as follows:
- Knowledge creation
- Communities of practice
- Knowledge capture
- Knowledge reuse
- Content management
- Proven practices
- Knowledge valuation
- Social network analysis
- Team spaces
- Web conferencing
- Document management
- Record management
- Artificial intelligence
How does Knowledge Management Software work?
A knowledge management system allows you to create and import content or articles into your knowledge base. With the help of a knowledge management system, you can customize the layout, edit fonts, themes, and finally post your articles over the internet. Therefore, KMS helps in managing your entire knowledge base by providing regular updates, reports, analytics about your reader’s feedback, and more.
Who uses Knowledge Management Software?
Every small and big businesses use knowledge management software for organizing their knowledge bases. Some companies that use knowledge management software are as follows:
How To Choose The Right Knowledge Management Software
Here are a few things that you need to consider before you choose knowledge management software.
- Accuracy: Knowledge, when interpreted in the wrong way, can damage your company’s reputation. Therefore, make sure that the knowledge management software you choose provides 100% accuracy when distributing the data as it is in your database. Moreover, knowledge management should be able to locate the data in your database accurately.
- Relevancy: Make sure that your KM software focuses on relevant data required in the task at hand.
- Speed: The most important consideration after accuracy and relevancy is the speed provided by your KMS to transfer or distribute the data to customers or employees. It does not matter if the data is relevant and accurate if you are receiving the information, not on time. Therefore, look for data management software that provides a good speed.
- Ability to edit and update information: You must look for KMS that allows you to edit and update new content for customers to find without any help from the support team.
- Flexible: You need to look for a flexible knowledge management software with customization options, where you can easily apply new search terms to widen the descriptions.
- Question and answer section: Many Knowledge management platforms provide a question and answers section so that the readers can ask their queries and get answers in the same section. Make sure the KM software that you are selecting links your database to the question and answer section.
- Advanced features: you may also look for advanced features such as smart search, smartphone integration, service desk features, and contact center features.
Top 10 Knowledge Management Software
We are listing down some of the best knowledge management software that you can choose for customer support. These management software tools are easy to use and manage.
Document360 is designed for companies to easily create a self-service Knowledge base for customers and internal users as it is a robust knowledge management system. Therefore, with the help of Document360, you can create a customer-facing knowledge base along with an intuitive user interface. This platform provides a powerful AI-powered real-time search feature. You can easily create the knowledge base with guidance from this software. Moreover, you get fully customizable tools and uncompromised authoring experiences such as rich themes, built-in analytics, and enterprise-grade restore.
Furthermore, the documentation tools help in managing the knowledge base articles. The authors get full control of the layout, design, and font of the knowledge base. You, as an author, have the control to create more pages for customer satisfaction.
- You get a landing page editor feature with this software.
- Document360 supports multiple documentation websites.
- There are a category manager and a version control feature.
- You get real-time search functions.
You can opt for a free trial before buying this software for $49 per month.
Zendesk provides the best features for improving the customer service of several companies and organizations. This software’s knowledge management model allows the clients to create online communities, FAQ’s, help centers, and customer portals for customer self-service. Zendesk provides a content management tool that allows you to input and organizes the data as per your preference.
Moreover, you get an AI-powered Bot feature when you choose zendesk; this feature helps in answering common questions of the customers by directing them to relevant articles in your knowledge base.
- The most attractive feature for this platform is the unlimited capacity, where there is no limit for your data size.
- Zendesk is pretty easy to use.
- You get the feature of a ticketing system and a community forum.
- Full CSS rebranding available.
You can get this software for $89, and you also have the option of a free trial before choosing a plan.
LiveAgent is a great customer support software that provides exceptional features for improved customer experience. LiveAgent offers a customizable knowledge base for small and medium-sized companies. This platform guides you in the creation process of the internal knowledge base for the employees and the external knowledge base for your customers.
You can create multiple knowledge bases with LiveAgent. Moreover, you get the easy editor feature for easy editing and updating the knowledge base to provide quick responses to the customers. Moreover, you have the option to build a FAQ or a question-answer section for answering the common queries by customers.
Furthermore, you have the option of hosting your knowledge base through LiveAgent or any other server of your choice. With the help of LiveAgent, you can enhance and improve your knowledge base by using feedback buttons, search widgets, and forums.
- LiveAgent provides fully customizable features for enhancing the knowledge base.
- You can easily integrate the tracking codes.
- You get the feature of powerful search functions.
- LiveAgent offers the services in 40 languages.
- You can create multiple internal and external knowledge bases.
The plans are starting from $15 to $39 per month. You can also opt for a free trial before selecting a plan.
Proprofs provides knowledge management tools that you can use for managing your knowledge base. You can easily use Proprofs knowledge base to create FAQs, user guides, and other manuals for customer self-service and enhance employee access to the knowledge base. Proprofs Knowledge base software allows users to access the information at any time and anywhere.
Moreover, you can use this platform on different devices like Ipad, iPhone, Androids, Nexus, and more. You can collaborate with your team members to create public and private Wikis, manuals, and guides. This software provides advanced authoring options that you can use for designing, creating, and managing help files, manuals, and documentation.
- You get 24/7 support if you opt for this program.
- There is an automatic resizing feature for documentation to fit the screen size of multiple devices.
- Proprofs Knowledge base provides reports, suggestions, and analytics for improving your knowledge base.
- You get pre-made templates and branding features for designing the FAQ’s and manuals.
The pricing details for this software are as follows.
- You can opt for a free trial plan.
- Opt for a professional plan at $29 per month.
- Team plan at $79/month
- The business plan at $129/month
5. Zoho Desk
Zoho desk is one of the best Knowledge management Software that offers exceptional customer support by providing data management tools to address customer queries and doubts without them having to contact the support team.
Moreover, Zoho desk is also great for improving agent productivity and enhancing the decision making for managers. Zoho desk provides features such as a ticketing system, agent productivity, reports, analytics, social support, call center, help desk, forums, and collaboration features.
Furthermore, you are getting the built-in SEO feature that you can use for enhancing the customer experience by directing them to the relevant answers according to their keywords. Along with the SEO feature, you will also get secure access, auto-suggest and smart search filters. Finally, you get the ability to create forums and communities to help customers and employees.
- It is easy to use.
- This knowledge base software is designed for customer self-service.
- You can easily customize your portal as you get customizable options.
- The customers have the option for submitting tickets from the knowledge base help center.
- The customers can rate your knowledge base so that you can make changes to improve it.
- You can integrate this software with google analytics to get insights into your customer engagement.
- You have the collaboration option with different companies.
There is a professional plan that you can get for $12 per agent/month, and there is an enterprise plan that you can choose at $25 per agent/month.
One of the best KMS for customer service is ServiceNow, which is a great content management platform for your Knowledge base. ServiceNow is an all in one solution for employees, customers, and agents. This software is good if you want to boost your business’s productivity by resolving the queries of your customers through content creation and providing relevant answers to customers and employees. This software helps in promoting knowledge sharing and company-wide knowledge crowd-sourcing for eliminating the information gap.
Moreover, you can access this knowledge base software from your desktop as well as your mobile phones. You can create multiple versions of knowledge articles and easily track the changes for the updated articles. Furthermore, you have the option to customize the search feature for better customer service.
- You get the customizable feature for search along with various methods for filtering and sorting the content.
- The knowledge management tools provided by this software allow you to enhance customer service management.
- There are extended search capabilities with internal and external knowledge bases in one place.
- With the help of this software, you can import your articles from Microsoft word documents.
- You get the in-built SEO software feature to allow search engines to rank the knowledge base.
- ServiceNow allows customers and employees to subscribe to knowledge articles and the knowledge bases.
To know about the pricing details, you can contact ServiceNow Knowledge management.
If you are looking for a cloud-based knowledge management system, then Igloo is the right option for you. You can easily manage all your information in one place with this software. You get an amazing set of tools for managing your knowledge base to enhance customer support by providing the information they need for self-service.
Moreover, this software helps to create knowledge base articles to serve the end-users, customers, and employees. Furthermore, you get the feature of a built-in Wiki builder that helps to store, update and share knowledge table of contents.
This software is easy to use as you can organize your content and the data by using the integrated labels. Therefore, if you want to distribute any important or critical information to your entire organization, then you will be able to do that with a click.
- You get content creation features such as blogs, forums, RSS feeds, and broadcasts.
- You get an in-built wiki builder.
- This software offers a drag and drop user interface.
- You get labeling features for a powerful search and content organization.
For pricing details, you may contact Igloo here.
Guru is a great knowledge base software that guides and keeps your customer-facing teams on track, up-to-date, and confident about their knowledge base. With the help of the Guru software, you can keep all your internal and external knowledge in one place and easily organize it for your employees and customers.
Moreover, you get filters for distributing your articles by categories to avoid chaos. You also get update alerts for updating your knowledge base when you use this software.
Furthermore, you get regular reports and analytical tools for checking the insights about your Knowledge base. This way, you can keep on checking the performance of all the articles that you create for your knowledge base.
- You can improve your document management process with the help of Guru.
- Guru provides a web application and browser extensions for Google Chrome, Opera, Firefox.
- You can easily record, find, and share knowledge during a live chat with your team.
- This software is pretty easy to use and will guide you throughout the process of Information management.
- You do not need multiple knowledge management systems as you can maintain one single source of truth.
You can get this software at $380 per month. And you can also opt for the low-cost plans that start at $6 a month for an individual user.
You can use Inkling knowledge for managing all your tasks from content creation, distribution, storage, and document management. Inkling knowledge is an all in one solution for managing your knowledge base.
This knowledge base software provides a smart content system to its users to deliver relevant and accurate information. Moreover, it offers a collaboration tool that you use for accessing the mobile platform for connecting your employees to the customers through live chat.
You can check the insights about how your articles are doing and check other results as well from the dashboard that is provided by this software. Inkling knowledge supports intelligent search features that allow you to use keywords and search for relevant information easily in the library section, which can be personalized for different users. Furthermore, if you want to improve the performance, you can use this tool to create training.
- You get the intelligent search feature.
- You get access to the authoring tool for creating engaging content for customer support.
- You have the option to access the content from desktops as well as mobile phones.
- There is an interactive training feature for improving overall performance.
- You get an inbuilt drag and drop feature.
- You can easily integrate with the existing knowledge management systems.
You can contact Inkling knowledge to know about the pricing details.
KnowledgeOwl offers customizable options for creating and managing your knowledge base. KnowledgeOwl is a customer support software that you can use for creating sites, Knowledge bases, manuals, software documentation, and more.
To increase sales for your business, you can create content for your FAQ section to answer the most common queries for customer support. Moreover, with the help of knowledgeOwl, you can set up a self-service help center for your customers.
Furthermore, there is an open API feature that allows you to push and pull information into the system easily. There are about six publishing statuses to choose from for controlling the visibility and workflow, such as draft, ready to publish, rejected draft, published, needs review, and deleted. You can embed videos in your knowledge base from third-party applications such as YouTube, Vimeo, or Wistia.
- KnowledgeOwl provides a WYSIWYG editor for content creation.
- You can include videos in your knowledge base by using third-party apps.
- There is an auto-save feature that saves your articles every 30 seconds to avoid loss of information.
- You have the option of creating a pdf of your entire knowledge base with the option to include or exclude private knowledge articles.
KnowledgeOwl offers plans starting at $79 per month. You can also opt for a team plan at $99/ month and a business plan at $299/month.
We hope you liked the list of top knowledge management systems to enhance your content creation process and provide the best customer support. Now, you can easily manage your entire knowledge base and provide self-service customer support. If you liked this article, let us know in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the best knowledge management software?
We have listed the top 10 knowledge management software in this article that you can select from after reading the description and the key features of every KMS. The top knowledge management software on our list is Document360, which is a pretty good option if you are looking for the best KMS.
What are the four components of Knowledge management software?
The four components of knowledge management software are as follows:
People- You need two types of people before you start a KM program. They are senior leaders and cross-functional stakeholders.
Process– An organization should have strong KM processes by following the seven-step cycle such as create, identify, collect, review, share, access, and use knowledge.
Content is an important component of a KMS as the content is a documented knowledge that helps both external and internal users use the software.
Strategy- Every organization needs a business strategy before implementing a KMS.
What are knowledge management tools?
Knowledge management tools are systems that companies or organizations use for knowledge sharing both to internal and external users. Some examples of knowledge management tools are as follows:
Customer relationship systems
Learning management systems
What do you mean by Knowledge management strategy?
A knowledge management strategy is an action plan of an organization or a company to manage its data, information, and knowledge efficiently. This way, with the help of a knowledge management strategy, any organization can increase the productivity and efficiencies of their employees and the overall business. Therefore, there is a need for a KM strategy before you choose a KMS for your business.
What is the importance of Knowledge management software?
A KMS is all about storing, creating, managing, and removing unnecessary information from an organization’s knowledge base. Since it is difficult to build and share heavy files across the entire organization, a KMS can easily handle knowledge sharing in real-time. Big organizations need to opt for the best KMS for handling the entire data and information. This way, your employees and customers can easily access all your data in one place efficiently. Moreover, the readers can easily access the content without requiring any support from the support team.