Alarms are a quintessential aspect of our lives. Setting up an alarm on your iPhone barely takes a minute, but it is a lifesaver. Your whole day would become a colossal mess without an alarm because you start late.
But does setting up an alarm on your iPhone guarantee that you will wake up on time. Many users sleep way past their target time when the alarm volume is too low.
“iPhone alarm volume is too low” is a widespread problem that disrupts the daily routine. This article will cover all the possible causes of low alarm volume on iPhones. Moreover, you will learn easy methods to increase the volume and never miss a deadline again.
Reasons for the iPhone Alarm Volume Low Issue
Here are a few possible reasons for iPhone alarm volume is the low issue:
- Your alarm volume setting is set to minimal possible volume.
- Your alarm ringtone is feeble and not audible on max volume.
- The speaker grill of your iPhone is heavily clogged.
- You are using many alarm apps on your iPhone.
- You have paired a Bluetooth device with your iPhone.
12 Fixes For iPhone Alarm Volume Low Issue
Here are the 12 easy steps to fix the iPhone alarm volume low issue. Try out the steps in a linear fashion.
- Turn up the Volume
- Reboot Your iPhone
- Pick a Louder Alarm Sound
- Check the Alarm’s Time Settings
- Disable or Change the Bedtime Feature
- Ensure the Alarm Sound Is Not Set to “None”
- Clean the iPhone Speaker Grills
- Delete and Remake the Alarm
- Use Only One Alarm Clock App
- Disable Bluetooth and Unplug Headphones
- Update Your iPhone Software
- Restore Your iPhone to Factory Default Settings
1. Turn up the Volume
It might sound like a trivial solution, but many users fail to adjust their alarm volume. If the volume bar is set to very low and you place it on a mushy surface like a pillow, you won’t hear it. So, increase the alarm volume to the loudest level in the alarm settings.
- Unlock your iPhone and open the Settings app.
- Now, go to the Sounds & Haptics option.
- Then locate the ringer and alerts slider and increase the volume levels to maximum.
- Turn off the Change with Buttons toggle. It will prevent you from lowering the alarm volume while using the volume buttons.
2. Reboot Your iPhone
Rebooting the iPhone is the oldest trick in the troubleshooting book. You need to restart your iPhone, which may fix a temporary alarm app or another glitch. Restarting iPhone will force all the services to start again and close unused apps. Hold down the power button unless you see the power-off slider to restart iPhone.
3. Pick a Louder Alarm Sound
Some alarm sounds are feeble even if you play them at full volume. While picking an alarm, make sure that it is audible enough even when other devices like the AC or fan are active. Rather than setting a custom ringtone, go for the ones present in the alarm app on iPhone. To change your alarm sound, do as follows:
- Open the Clock app on your iPhone and navigate to the Alarm tab.
- Find the Edit button in the top-right corner and open it.
- Now, find the Sound option in the Edit Alarm section.
- Pick a loud alarm sound and preview it before applying it as your default alarm sound.
- Now, test the sound with a quick alarm and check whether it is audible or not.
4. Check the Alarm’s Time Settings
It is possible that you set an alarm that doesn’t activate on all days. The alarm app offers the option to set it for one or many days. If you skip a day while selecting it, you won’t hear the alarm volume at all on that day. So, you need to select the days of the week on which you want it to be active.
- Open the clock app and then switch to the Alarm tab.
- Find the Edit button in the top-right corner and open it.
- Now, find the Repeat option in the Edit Alarm section.
- Tap on the days you want to select for your alarm.
5. Disable or Change the Bedtime Feature
The bedtime feature lets you wind down and have a sound sleep. But if the wake-up time is set identical to an alarm time, it may create conflict. So, avoid setting alarms and wake up at the same time. To configure the bedtime feature, do as follows:
- Open the Clock app and then find the bedtime option in the bottom area of the app.
- Open it and adjust the wake-up time. Then go to the wake-up sound option.
- Adjust the slider to the maximum volume, and then pick a sound you want to play on wake-up.
6. Ensure the Alarm Sound Is Not Set to “None”
It is common to overlook the alarm sound settings while setting up an alarm. The Clock app offers an option to set the alarm sound to ‘none.’ We aren’t sure why it is useful, but it is there, and you need to uncheck it.
If you select alarm sound as ‘none,’ your phone may not emanate a blaring volume to break your sleep. So, try to pick an alarm sound from the Edit alarm settings.
If you have checked the alarm sound as ‘none,” change it immediately. Remember to try setting a dummy alarm to check if it plays a sound when the alarm rings on your iPhone.
7. Clean the iPhone Speaker Grills
Like any other mobile device, Apple iPhone has a tiny speaker grille at the bottom. The speaker grill gets clogged due to dust and first accumulation over time. It is a natural process that even a case cannot protect you from.
So, you can try cleaning the speaker grill if the iPhone alarm volume is too low. Make sure to use a soft-bristled brush to clean the speaker grill gently. Avoid putting excessive pressure and poking inside the grill.
8. Delete and Remake the Alarm
An in-app glitch could cause the alarm to not ring at the designated time. Rather than using an old alarm repeatedly, delete all of them and create a new one. Go to the Edit alarm option and tap the Delete Alarm option to remove it. Then set up a new alarm and carefully input the days and time. Ensure that the alarm volume is set to maximum.
9. Use Only One Alarm Clock App
Using more than one app for alarms can create a conflict. If you set the same alarm time in two-alarm apps, it will cause a clash. Thus, it is advisable to stick to one alarm app, preferably the default alarm app on iPhone. Unless you need very specific features, the iPhone’s default clock and alarm app are adequate.
One major problem with third-party alarm apps is that they aren’t integrated well. So, even if you try using them, there will be certain limitations of usage.
Like you may need to keep the iPhone turned on or keep the device display active. You can avoid all these problems by sticking to the default iOS alarm app.
10. Disable Bluetooth and Unplug Headphones
You won’t hear the alarm go off if your iPhone is connected to a Bluetooth device like a speaker or headphones. When the alarm goes off, the sound will come from a Bluetooth device.
Unless it is a very loud speaker, you won’t hear it. So, it is beneficial to disconnect the Bluetooth devices when you don’t need them. Go to the Settings app on your iPhone and disable the Bluetooth option and silent mode.
11. Update Your iPhone Software
An outdated iOS version on your iPhone can have many bugs. Apple released frequent iOS updates to fix these. An unknown bug can be responsible for troubles with the iPhone alarm app.
So, make it a habit always to update your iPhone on a regular basis. You can enable the auto-update feature to download the iOS updates and remind you to install them. You can also go to the iPhone settings and manually update your iPhone or iPad.
12. Restore Your iPhone to Factory Default Settings
If you’ve tried all the methods and still can’t fix the alarm issue on your iPhone, you need to reset it. Resetting your iPhone will erase all the files and configurations you created.
Back up all your files before resetting your iPhone to the iCloud or Mac. Then, go to the Settings app and find the Reset option. It is present under the General option in the main settings. Erase all the data and try to set the alarm again.
These were the 12 easy solutions for the iPhone alarm volume low issue. You can try cleaning the speaker grill and raising the alarm volume at first.
If that doesn’t do the trick, uninstall third-party apps and disable the bedtime feature. Resetting the iPhone is the last resort and try it only if all the other methods don’t work for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where Is The Alarm Volume On iPhone?
You will find the alarm volume option inside the Edit alarm feature in the Clock app. Open the clock app and switch to the Alarm tab. Then tap on the edit alarm option and adjust the alarm volume to high or low as per your preference.
Can You Lower The iPhone Alarm Volume?
Yes. You can lower the iPhone alarm volume. The volume bar is located in the Edit alarm option in the clock app. However, we wouldn’t advise you to lower the alarm volume as it would become inaudible. It will defeat the purpose of setting the alarm.
How Do I Adjust The Volume On My iPhone Alarm?
You don’t need to use the side buttons to adjust the volume of your iPhone alarm. Go to the Clock app and then tap the edit alarm option. You will find an alarm volume adjustment slider in the alarm settings.
Why Is My iPhone Alarm Suddenly So Quiet?
The primary reason for this can be a low volume setting for your alarm. A feeble and less audible alarm sound can also be the culprit for an inaudible alarm sound. Lastly, the alarm sound is set to none, due to which the alarm doesn’t make a sound.