Microsoft Word allows you to sign a document either digitally or electronically. This way, it gives you the ultimate way to personalize a doc, especially letters and contracts. There are several ways to Insert a Signature into Microsoft Word. And in this blog, we’ll discuss a couple of those!
Ways to Insert a Signature into Microsoft Word
How to Add Electronic Signature to MS Word documents?
A lot of people prefer adding electronic signatures in place of digital signatures to their Word documents. And you’re in luck if you use Microsoft Word for this. All it takes is a couple of clicks, and you are good to go.
Given below are the steps you need to follow to add an electronic signature to your Word documents:
- Write your signature on a white piece of paper.
- Now, scan your signature and save it in any of the following formats: .jpg, .png, .gif, .bmp
- Then, click on the “Insert” tab and select the “Pictures” option.
- Click on the image that contains your signature and edit it with the “Picture Tools Format” tab.
- When you have finished editing your image, right-click on the image and click on “Save as Picture.”
- Now, every time you want to add your electronic signature to any document, just click on “Insert” and then “Pictures” to locate the required image file. Then, simply drag and drop it to the proper place in your document.
How to Add a Signature Line in a Word doc?
With Microsoft Word, you can also add signature lines to your documents. This shows you the location where you or the recipient needs to sign the document. If you want to print the Word document, then adding a signature would be a wise and easy way to add a signature.
The steps given below will tell you how to add a Microsoft Office signature line to your document:
- Left-click at the place where you want your signature line to be placed.
- Click on “Insert” and then select “Signature Line” from the drop-down menu. The signature icon is generally located in the “Text” section of the ribbon menu bar. Now, a “Signature Setup” dialogue box will appear.
- Fill out all your signature details. You can also include your name, title, and email address here. Moreover, at this stage, you can provide instructions for the recipient. Choose the required options and once you’re done, hit “OK” to insert the signature line.
- You’ll find that a signature line gets added to the Word document with a cross symbol and a line beneath it that tells people where to sign.
- Now, you can position your signature line appropriately in the document.
How to Add a Digital Signature to Your MS Word Document?
Note: To insert a digital signature, first, you need to get a digital certificate and use it to create your digital signature.
If you were under the impression that a digital signature and an electronic signature are identical, then you are gravely mistaken. Digital signatures are very secure and encrypted digital marks that need special software and a digital certificate issued from both the sender and recipient. Also, the certificate has to be bought from any issuing company.
On the other hand, an electronic signature is just a virtual mark added to your Word document. Mostly, it is an image of the signature or a hand-typed test. However, both electronic and digital signatures are legal, safe, and enforceable.
Follow the steps given below to add a digital signature to your word document:
- As already mentioned, first, you need to insert a signature line in the doc. For the same, you need a security certificate. If you don’t have it, Word will ask you to get one from any of the Microsoft Partners like Comodo, DocuSign, etc.
- Else, you can also create your digital certificate via the “Selfcert” tool included in your Microsoft Office installation folder.
- Once your digital certificate is installed (if you didn’t have it already), go back to the Word document. Now, double-click on the signature line.
- A box labeled “Sign” will appear. You need to type in your name or click on “Select Image” to insert a hand-written signature image.
- Lastly, click on “Sign” to insert the digital signature into the Microsoft Word document.
- Once the signing is done, Microsoft Word will confirm your signature addition.
- If you choose to edit the Word document after signing it, your digital signature will become invalid. And you’ll have to sign it once again digitally.
How To Add an Invisible Digital Signature To Word?
An invisible digital signature will keep your name from appearing in the document. Here are the steps to add an invisible digital signature to your doc:
- Open a document and then click on the “File” tab.
- Now, click “Info” and then click on “Protect Document.”
- A dropdown menu will appear; click on “Add a Digital Signature.”
- Now, select a “Commitment Type” like created and approved this document. Then, click on “Sign.”
- Now, you need to insert your PIV card into the card reader. Then, enter your Smart Card PIN. Once done, click “OK.”
- Then, a pop-up signature confirmation box will appear. Click “OK.”
How To Add Multiple Digital Signatures Using Signature Lines?
Since many documents require more than one person to sign on it, Microsoft Word provides the facility of allowing multiple digital signatures. However, keep in mind that the first approver needs to create the signature lines for others and then send the doc to the second approver for him to sign.
- If you are the second or any other approver, then open the doc you need to sign and then double-click on the signature line to sign it.
- A pop-up box of “Signature Setup” comes up. Now, enter your information in the text fields provided, and then click OK.
- Again, double click on the signature line. Now, a sign pop-up box comes up, and you need to type your name at the X.
- Besides the “Signing as” field, you’ll find your name and certificate. If not, then you can change it by clicking on “Change.” Then, click on “Sign.”
- A “Signature Confirmation” box will come up to tell you that Microsoft Word has successfully saved your digital sign. Click on “OK.”
- Now, you’ll be able to send the digitally signed doc to the next approver in line.
How To Add Multiple Invisible Digital Signatures?
Since a document might be required to be signed by multiple approvers, Word allows you to do the same with invisible digital signatures. To do so, make use of the same steps that you would follow to add one invisible digital signature.
You need to do this as many times as the number of signatures you need. Now, the final approver will be able to view the multiple invisible signatures in the doc.
How To View Digital Signatures In A Word Doc?
Viewing the digital signatures in a Microsoft Word document is pretty straightforward. Here are the steps you should follow if you want to view all digital signatures in a Word file:
- You just need to click the “View Signatures” button located beneath the Word ribbon. Else, click the “File” tab and click on “Info.” Now, click on “View Signatures.”
- Regardless of whichever method you opt for, you will be shown the details of all the digital signatures in the “Signatures” box.
How To Remove a Digital Signature?
Removing a digital signature is relatively easy as well. Given below are the steps to do the same:
- Just open your Word document and hover over the signature line.
- If you cannot view a signature line, click on the “View Signatures” button located below the Word ribbon bar.
- Now, from the Signatures box, click on the signature that you wish to delete.
- Right-click on the signature and select “Remove Signature.” Upon being prompted, hit the “Yes” button.