Are you looking for Informatica Interview questions and answers? Is there an Informatica interview scheduled for you? Then you are on the right page. We have researched and noted the most frequently asked Informatica interview questions and answers, and please go through our full blog.
What is Informatica? Informatica is an IT or Software development company founded in the year 1993. Informatica is headquartered in Redwood City, California. Informatica’s core products include Data Integration and Enterprise Cloud Data Management.
Top 100 Informatica Interview Questions and Answers
1. Can you explain the Informatica Power center?
Informatica Power center enforces data integration. It has the capability to connect and fetch information or data from different heterogeneous sources. For example, you can integrate both SQL and Oracle databases into a third system.
2. Can you explain the surrogate key?
A surrogate key is defined as a system-generated number sequence. It is used to generate a unique number for each record in the data warehouse.
3. Define Target Designer w.r.t Informatica?
The target designer allows the user to create destination tables, modifying existing target definitions. It also allows the user to import target definitions from other various sources that include Flat files, relational databases, XML definitions, and Exel worksheets, etc.
4. Explain incremental aggregation?
Incremental aggregation in Informatica is the mechanism of capturing the changes in the source, calculating the aggregation in the session. It prevents the process of calculating the aggregations on the entire source.
5. Name the types of lookup transformation?
Types of lookup transformation ae:
- Connected or unconnected lookup.
- Lookup through Flat file or Relational
- Cached or uncached lookup.
6. Name some typical use cases of Informatica?
Typical use cases of Informatica are:
- It is helpful when organizations migrate from already existing legacy systems to new databases.
- It is helpful when the enterprise wants to set up a data warehouse.
- It is used for data cleansing.
- It is useful when you are integrating data from other heterogeneous systems.
7. Explain junk dimensions?
A junk dimension is a dimension table that consists of attributes that don’t belong to the fact table or any other existing dimensions table. These attributes are usually text or various flags, for example, boolean or Yes or No variables.
8. Explain target load order? How to set it?
A target load order is defined as a collection of transformations, source qualifiers, and targets that are linked together in the mapping. You have to maintain target load order if you want to maintain referential integrity while inserting, updating, and deleting tables that have primary key and foreign key constraints.
9. Can you define sessions in Informatica ETL?
Sessions in Informatica instruct Informatica onis a set of instructions that guide Informatica how to move the data and when to move the data from source to target. It can have a single mapping at a time, and once the mapping is assigned, it cannot be changed.
10. Explain enterprise data warehousing?
Enterprise data warehousing is a technology that contains a company’s business data, including sensitive information about its customers. Enterprise data warehousing enables data analytics.
Informatica Interview Questions and Answers
11. Explain the uses of the aggregator cache file?
The aggregator cache file is used to store group by values from group-by-ports. Whenever the power center runs the session with an aggregator transformation, the data is stored in the memory until the aggregation completes.
12. Can you differentiate between a repository server and a powerhouse?
|It controls the complete repository that includes tables, charts, etc.||It governs the implementation of different processes of the servers database repository.|
|It enforces the integrity and consistency of the repository.||It does not ensure integrity.|
13. Explain aggregator transformation?
Aggregator transformation is defined as a transformation that is used to perform aggregate calculations like sum off, average, etc. These operations are usually conducted over a group of rows; hence a temporary placeholder is used to store the record and perform the calculations.
14. Explain reusable transformation?
A reusable transformation is defined as a transformation that can be reused. Reusable transformations provide multiple mappings, and it also allows different methods to do it. They are stored in the metadata to provide separate logic from various mappings.
15. Can you differentiate between a mapping parameter and a mapping variable?
|Mapping parameter||Mapping variable|
|It defines a specified constant value that is determined before running a session.||It represents a specified value that can change through a session.|
|It maintains the same specified value throughout the session.||The session changes the value. The value does not remain the same here.|
16. Can you differentiate between a connected lookup and an unconnected lookup?
|Connected lookup||Unconnected lookup|
|It receives input from the mapping line directly.||It receives values from LKP expression and other transformations.|
|It uses dynamic or static cache.||It uses a static cache.|
|It supports user-defined values.||It does not support user-defined default values.|
17. Explain a session task?
A session task in Informatica runs a mapping. Without a session task, one cannot run or execute a mapping. A session task performs only a single mapping. With the help of session tasks, Informatica knows how to and where to execute a mapping at a specified time.
18. Explain the update strategy?
Update strategy transformation in Informatica is used to insert, update, delete records in the specified target table.
19. Explain Joiner’s transformation?
Joiner’s transformation in Informatica is an active and connected transformation that allows the user to perform Informatica joins. One of the advantages of joiner transformation is, it will enable the creation of joins for different databases.
The joiner transformation is based on two sources, namely,
- Master source.
- Detail source
The joins created using Joiner transformation is listed below:
- Normal Join
- Full outer join
- Detail outer join
- Master outer join
Informatica Interview Questions and Answers
20. Explain the command task?
A command task in Informatica runs a single shell command, or it starts an external executable program or function during a workflow. The shell commands may be specified to delete unwanted files, copy a file or achieve a target file.
21. Explain code page compatibility?
Code page compatibility is defined as compatibility between code pages that are used for accurate data movement when the Informatica server runs the data in the Unicode data movement mode.
22. Explain Filter transformation?
Filter transformation in Informatica is defined as an actively connected transformation. It is used to filter out the rows while doing a mapping. The rows that meet the specified filtered criteria are passed to other transformations. The row that doesn’t meet the criteria is dropped.
23. Define standalone command task?
Command tasks in Informatica are created and used anywhere throughout the workflow and worklet to execute the scripts and shell commands.
24. Explain Informatica ETL Tool?
Based on the ETL architecture, Informatica is a data-integrated tool. ETL stands for Exact Transform Load. The primary function of ETL tools is to collect, read, and migrate large volumes of raw data from heterogeneous data sources and across different platforms. ETL tool loads data into a single database or a data warehouse for easy access.
25. Can you explain the difference between a data warehouse, a data mart, and a database?
A Database can be defined as a structured assortment of related data in a managed, processed, and organized way. Here the data is stored electronically. It is a prevalent method used by most of the organization to store and maintain their data.
A data warehouse is used to store a huge quantity of historical data. It keeps the old data without erasing it whenever new data is updated. Data warehouse retrieves and manages data or information from different sources within an organization.
Datamart focuses on a specific subject, and data mart is dedicated to only one business function. It is a preferred method when you are working with departmental data.
26. Name the lookup caches available in Informatica?
Types of lookup caches are listed below:
- Static cache: Based on the lookup condition or criteria, if true, it returns the lookup table value, or else it returns NULL.
- Dynamic cache: We can insert rows or update rows in the dynamic cache when the rows are passed through the transformation
- Shared Cache: The shared cache is shared between various transformations.
- Persistent cache: Persistent cache stores the lookup cache files, and it reuses them when the workflow is executed next time.
27. Explain pre-defined events in Informatica?
A pre-defined event in Informatica is defined as a file-watch event.
28. Explain the new features of Informatica 9.x Developer?
- It includes more features for business users for metadata management and data analysis.
- It has improved the administrator experience.
- To improve performance, it has incorporated a built-in intelligence.
- A lot of new features integrated are a part of the data integration and data governance area.
- It has better designs with best practices on code development.
29. Can you name the different types of OLAP?
Types of OLAP servers are:
- Relational OLAP.
- Multidimensional OLAP
- Hybrid OLAP.
- Specialized SQL servers
Informatica Interview Questions and Answers
30. Explain parallel processing?
The Informatica PowerCenter Partitioning Option increases the performance of a PowerCenter through parallel data processing. This process is called parallel processing.
31. Can you explain the different mapping design tips for Informatica?
Some of the tips are listed below:
- Tip1: Make sure you use sorted data for very large or colossal data aggregation.
- Tip2: You need to keep the mappings as simple as possible. The smaller mappings give good performance results.
- Tip3: Use aggregator functions to denormalize data.
- Tip4: Make sure you keep the filter conditions a simple as possible. You can move the complex condition expressions to an expression object.
- You need to replace a lookup with a joiner.
32. Why is union transformation active? Explain?
Union transformation is an active transformation in Informatica because here, two data streams are combined into one. The total number of rows passing through and the total number of rows passing out through the union are equal. Here the position of rows cannot be preserved.
33. Explain the Load order?
The load order is defined as a design mapping application that first loads the data or information into the dimension table and later loads the data into the fact table.
34. Explain Relative mode?
Relative mode is related to the Relative time concept. It is an option that enables you to start the next task by comparing the timer task’s start time. For example, if you specify Relative mode as 15 minutes, the Informatica power center has to wait for 15 minutes at the timer task before the next task in the workflow is triggered.
35. Explain Workflow Monitor?
Workflow monitor in Informatica is used to monitor workflows and tasks.
- Workflow monitor lets you see the details of execution.
- It lets you see workflow execution history.
- It lets you stop, abort, or restart tasks and workflows.
- It kets you to display the executed workflows at least one time.
36. Explain Mapping Debugger?
A debugger is a tool that analyzes the data movement within the mapping. Here the data is analyzed row by row. Informatica has a feature that provides a debugger that debugs mapping, which specifies that one can debug and analyze any existing mapping. The only requirement here is the mapping should be a valid one.
37. What is Workflow Manager? Explain?
The workflow manager in Informatica is used to create a workflow. A workflow is a set or group of instructions to execute the mapping that the power center designer designs.
The workflow manager contains a command task, email task, session task, etc.
38. Explain Repository Manager?
The repository manager in Informatica is a GUI(Graphical User Interface) based administrative client component. The repository manager allows the user to create new domains, and it is used to organize the metadata stored in the repository.
39. Explain standalone Email task?
Email task in Informatica is defined as the process where we can send mails to designated recipients when the integration service starts or runs a workflow.
40. Name the types of transformations available in Informatica?
The following are the types of transformation available:
- Source Qualifier Transformation
- Aggregator Transformation
- Router Transformation
- Joiner transformation
- Rank Transformation
- Sequence Generator Transformation
- Transaction Control Transformation
- Lookup and reusable transformation
- Normalizer Transformation
- External transformation.
- Expression transformation.
- Performance tuning for transformation.
Informatica Interview Questions and Answers
41. Explain Dimensional Model?
Dimensional data modeling consists of one or more fact tables and dimensional tables. Dimension modeling is a technique used to optimize data storage in a data warehouse. The main aim of dimensional modeling is to optimize the database’s fast data retrievals.
42. Explain Snowflake Schema?
In a snowflake schema, a large denormalized dimensional table is split into multiple normalized tables.
43. Explain Rank Transformation in Informatica?
Rank transformation in Informatica is defined as an active and connected transformation that conducts data filtering based on the ranks and groups. For example, if you want to get 100 records of employees having the highest designations, this kind of filtering is obtained by the rank transformation.
44. Explain the shared cache?
A shared cache in Informatica is defined as a static lookup cache that is shared by various lookup transformations in the mapping.
45. Explain Expression transformation?
Expression Transformation in Informatica is used to manipulate data row-wise. Here the expression transformation takes the row-wise data and manipulates it, and passes it to the target. Here the transformation data is received from the input port, and the information is sent out through output ports.
46. Can you name the output files created by the Informatica server at runtime?
The output files that are created by the Informatica server at runtime are:
- Informatica server log: For all the error messages and status, a log is created by the Informatica home directory.
- Session log file: For each session, the Informatica server creates a session log file.
- Session detail file: It contains load statistics that include data about table name, number of rows, etc., or each target mapping.
- Performance detail file: This file is filled with session performance details.
- Reject file: This file contains the data that is not written into the target.
- Control file: When Informatica runs a session, it creates a control file and a target file.
- Post-session email: It allows you to communicate information about the session to the designated recipient.
- Indicator file: This file contains a number to indicate the row that was marked for insert or update.
- Output file: It is a target file created by the Informatica server.
- Cache file: Whenever a memory cache is created, the Informatica creates a cache file.
47. Explain the difference between active and passive transformation?
|Active transformations||Passive transformations|
|It modifies the data rows, and input rows passed to it.||It does not modify the data rows, and input rows passed to it.|
|For example, If a transformation receives five input rows, then it returns ten rows as output.||For example, If the transformation receives five input rows, then it returns five input rows only.|
|New rows are created.||No new rows are created.|
48. Explain Informatica PowerCenter?
Informatica PowerCenter helps you give a scalable, very high-performance enterprise data integration solution, supporting the data integration life cycle.
49. Define Worklet and what types of worklet?
A worklet in Informatica is defined as a set of related tasks.
There are two types of worklet namely,
- Reusable worklet
- Non-Reusable worklet
50. Can you tell us what types of groups does router transformation contains?
The types of routers transformation are listed below.
- Input group
- Output group
The Output group is further classified as:
- User-defined group
- Default group
Informatica Interview Questions and Answers
51. Can you explain whether the sorter is an active or passive transformation?
Yes, the sorter is an active transformation because It configures the output rows, and the duplicates are discarded from the key, and the number of rows gets changed.
52. Name the different tools used in Workflow Manager?
The following tools are used in the workflow manager of Informatica.
- Task developer: It specifies and creates the task you want to accomplish.
- Worklet designer: It is used to create a worklet in the worklet designer.
- Workflow designer: It is used to create a workflow by connecting various tasks with the workflow designer’s links.
53. In the Informatics server, can you name which files are created during the session RUMs?
The following types of files created are listed below:
- Bad files
- Error log
- Session log
- Workflow log
54. Can you let us know If there is a way to identify whether a mapping is correct or not without a connecting session? If so, explain?
Yes, we can identify whether a mapping is correct or not without a connecting session with the help of debugging option.
55. How many sessions can we have in one group? Explain?
There is no specific count for sessions, we can have any number of sessions, but for easy migration, it is advisable to have fewer sessions.
56. Can you name the other tools used for scheduling purposes other than Workflow Manager and pm cmd?
For scheduling purposes, a third-party tool, ‘CONTROL M,’’ can be used.
57. Explain the features of complex mapping?
The complex mapping features are listed below:
- It enforces complex business logic.
- Complex mapping increases the number of transformations.
58. Explain the advantages of partitioning a session?
The advantages of session partitioning are listed below:
- Partitioning increases the performance of the Informatics PowerCenter.
- The partitioning allows you to split extensive data into small subsets, which results in a better session performance.
59. Explain Sequence Generator transformation?
Sequence generator transformation is defined as an operational transformation, as it does not affect the number of input rows. It is mainly used to generate primary key values, and numeric sequences are generated using sequence generator transformation.
Informatica Interview Questions and Answers
60. Explain What are sessions? List down their properties?
The session is defined as a set of instructions. It is a task just like other tasks.
The properties are listed below:
- Based on the requirement, sessions can run sequentially.
- Sessions are configured to analyze the performance.
- It has log options and error handling features.
61. Explain the features of connected lookup?
Features of connected lookup are:
- The connected lookup takes the input from the pipeline directly.
- The connected lookup supports the user-defined default values.
- Connected lookup uses static or dynamic caches.
- Connected lookup passes multiple output values to another transformation.
- Connected lookup returns multiple values.
62. Can you differentiate between various types of schemas in data warehousing?
Star schema is an approach in computing that is the most straightforward data mart schema that is widely used to develop dimensional data marts and data warehouses. The schema contains one or more fact tables that can refer to any number of dimension tables.
Snowflake schema in computing is defined as a logical arrangement of tables in multidimensional databases in such a way that the entity-relationship diagram seems like a snowflake shape. It is represented by a centralized fact table that is connected to various dimensions. It is a process of normalizing the dimensional tables in a star schema.
Fact constellation schema represents a multidimensional model. Fact constellation is a collection of various fact tables that have standard dimensional tables. It is also known as Galaxy schema as it can be viewed as a collection of several star schemas.
63. Name some of the PowerCenter client applications with their primary purpose?
- Designer: You use the designer to create mappings that transform instruction sets for the service integration.
- Repository Manager: The repository manager is used to assign permissions to the users and groups,
- Workflow monitor: We make use of the workflow monitor to monitor the scheduled and running workflows.
- Workflow Manager: Workflow manager is used for creating, scheduling, and running the workflows.
- Mapping Architecture for viso: To create mapping templates that generate multiple mapping, this Mapping Architecture for viso is used.
64. How to delete duplicate rows from flat files?
To delete duplicate rows from flat files, you have to use group by function in the aggregator. In the source qualifier, you need to select distinct all or use sorter transformation to delete duplicate rows from flat files.
65. Explain the advantages of using Informatica as an ETL tool over Teradata?
Firstly, Informatica is defined as a data integration tool, where Teradata is RDBMS which is more suitable for building large-scale data warehousing applications.
Few advantages of using Informatica over Teradata are listed below:
- Informatica functions as a metadata repository for the companies ETL ecosystem. Informatica sessions are arranged logically into workflows and worklets in a specified folder. It leads to a friendly ecosystem that is easy to maintain and analyze.
- The surrogate key generation concept of Informatica through shared sequence generator is faster than generating inside the database.
- Job monitoring and recovery are easy with Informatica. You can easily monitor the jobs using workflow monitor. It quickly helps you to identify the failed jobs and recover them.
- Informatica has the ability to balance between the ETL and database box.
- Informatica has the ability to publish processes as web services.
Advantages of Teradata over Informatica is listed below:
- Teradata is a good choice for low complex ecosystems.
- It is a good choice if the data to be loaded is available as structured files.
- It is cheaper compared to the Informatica. Small companies can afford Teradata.
66. Can you tell us the purpose of the INITCAP function? Explain?
INITCAP function as the name suggests. It capitalizes each word’s first character in a string, and it converts all the other characters to lower case.
For example, INITCAP(“INFORMATICA”)
The result is Informatica.
67. How do pre-and post-session shell commands function? Explain?
A command task can also be called pre and post-session shell commands for specific session tasks.
The following are the functions of Presession commands.
- These commands are used to enable or disable database users before loading.
- To inform the users through emails about data loading success so that they can start the analysis.
- These commands are used to backup target tables. In case the data loading fails, the old data can be restored.
Post-session commands are again classified into two types.
Post-session success command: These commands get executed after successful completion of sessions.
Post-session failure command: These sessions get executed after the termination of a session.
Functions of Post-session commands are:
- On successful sessions, we can send emails that are Informatica’s built-in features.
- We can send emails if the session is failed.
68. What to improve the performance of Informatica Aggregator Transformation?
To improve the performance of the Informatica aggregator transformation, follows the steps as follows:
- You need to avoid complex expressions in the aggregator transformation. Make sure you use numbers instead of dates and strings in the table columns used by GRPUP BY functions.
- You need to use incremental aggregation to optimize aggregator transformation performance.
- Make sure you use filter transformation before you use aggregator transformation.
- You need to limit the port connections, connect only to the required ports for aggregator transformation.
- To optimize the performance of aggregator transformation, you need to use Incremental transformation.
- To increase the performance of the session, pass the sorted data to the aggregator transformation.
69. Can you explain the scenario which compels the Informatica server to reject files?
The Informatica server complex rejects files when it faces DD-Reject in the update strategy transformation.
70. Can you tell us from where we can find the throughput option in Informatica?
We can find the throughput option in the workflow monitor.
- First, right-click on the session.
- Click on get run properties.
- Under the Source or target statistics, you can find the throughput option.
Informatica Interview Questions and Answers
71. Can you explain how to confirm all mappings in the repository simultaneously?
We cannot confirm all the mapping in the repository simultaneously, we can validate only one mapping at a time, so it is impossible.
72. Can you explain how we can access repository reports without SQL or other transformations?
By using metadata reporters, we can access reports without SQL or other transformations.
73. Name the types of metadata that are stored in the repository?
The types of metadata are listed below:
- Target definitions.
- Source definitions.
- Global objects.
- Database connections.
- Reusable transformations.
- Multidimensional metadata.
- Sessions and workflows.
74. Name a few popular Informatica products?
Few popular Informatica products are listed below:
- INFORMATICA PowerCenter
- INFORMATICA PowerConnect
- INFORMATICA Power Exchange
- INFORMATICA Power Mart
- INFORMATICA Power Quality
- INFORMATICA Power Analysis
75. Name the different editions of Informatica PowerCenter that are available?
The different editions of Informatica power center are:
- Standard edition.
- Advanced edition.
- Premium edition
76. Name the format of Informatica objects in a repository? Name the databases that it can connect to Windows?
Informatica objects are written in the XML format.
The databases that Informatica supports are listed below.
- SQL server
- MS Access
- MS Excel
77. Name the different components of a power center?
The different components of a power center are listed below:
- PowerCenter Clients
- Web Service Hub
- Integration Service
- PowerCenter Service
- PowerCenter Domain
- Repository Service
- PowerCenter Administration Console
- PowerCenter Repository
78. Explain tracing level?
The amount of information or data that a sever writes to the log file is defined as tracing level. The tracing level is configured at the session level or transformation level, or at both levels.
There are four types of tracing level namely,
- Verbose data
- Verbose Initialization
79. Explain the Informatica power center repository?
The Informatica power center repository is defined as a relational database or a system database that stores the metadata like:
- Source definition
- Target definition
- ODBC connection
- Session and session logs
80. Name the two types of Informatica repositories?
The Informatica power center repository’s primary goal is to perform transformation, extraction, and loading ETL based on the metadata.
The two types of Informatica repositories are:
- Global repositories.
- Local repositories.
81. Differentiate between power center and PowerMart in Informatica?
|It has the ability to convert local repositories into global ones.||It is not capable of converting local repositories in|
|Power center supports both local and global repositories.||It does not support both. It only supports local repositories.|
|It can process a large volume of data.||It processes a very low volume of data.|
|It supports data retrieval from ERP sources.||It does not support retrieval from ERP sources.|
82. Can you list the different clients of Informatica Powercenter?
The different clients of Informatica power center are:
- Power center workflow monitor: It monitors the Informatica workflows or tasks.
- Power center workflow manager: It is defined as a set of instructions required to execute mappings that the designer designs.
- Power center designer: It consists of various designing tools to serve different purposes.
- Power center repository manager: Its primary function is to manage repository folders, objects, etc.
83. How can we use batches in Informatic?
Batches in Informatica are defined as a set of valuable sessions to migrate the data or information from source to target on a server. Batches can have any number of sessions, but the more sessions, the more the traffic is. It is advisable to have fewer sessions because, with fewer sessions, the batches can move rapidly.
84. Explain Router transformation in Informatica?
Router Transformation in Informatica is used to filter the source data. It is used to split a single data source into multiple data sources. Router transformation is the same as that of filter transformation. The only difference is that the filter transformation uses only one transformation condition, and it returns the rows that don’t match the condition. But in the case of router transformations, it uses multiple transformation conditions and returns the rows even if a single condition is matched.
85. Explain the status code in Informatica?
Status code in Informatica is defined as an error handling mechanism that provides during each session. Stored procedure issue the status code to recognize whether the session is committed successfully or not. It sends information to the Informatica server to decide on the session to continue or stop the session.
86. Can you explain how we can update a record in the target table without using Update Strategy?
We can update a record in the target table without using the update strategy by defining the specified key in the target table at the Informatica level. Then we have to connect the key and the field you want to in the target mapping. You have to set the target property to ‘Update as Update,’ and you need to check the ‘UPDATE’ check box at the session-level.
87. Explain Source qualifier transformation in Informatica?
Source qualifier transformation in Informatica is defined as a useful mapping. Whenever we want to add relational flat files, Informatica automatically creates them. Source qualifier transformation is an active and connected transformation that presents the rows that are read by an integration service.
88. Explain SUBSRT in Informatica?
SUBSTR is a function in Informatica that removes a set of characters from a bigger character set.
SYNTAX: SUBSTR( string, start[, length])
89. Name the significant components of workflow manager in Informatica?
The significant components of workflow manager in Informatica are:
- Task designer
- Task developer
- Workflow designer
90. Define staging area in Informatica?
The staging area in Informatica is a database where the temporary tables that are connected to the work area are stored area. In simple words, it is a place to store temporary tables on a data warehouse server. It is mainly used to fetch or retrieve data from its data sources, thereby minimizing the impact on the sources.
91. How can you update a source definition in Informatica?
We usually update a source definition, add some business names, or review column names, etc. You can update the source definition in two ways:
- Edit the existing source definition: You can manually update the source definition if you want to configure the properties which you cannot import. You can use this method if you’re going to make some minor changes.
- Reimport the new source: You may have to reimport the definition if the source changes are significant. By doing a reimport, It overwrites the existing source definition.
92. Explain decode in a static cache?
Static cache in Informatica is neither updated nor refreshed in the specified session run. It is a default cache in Informatica, and the static cache returns the value only when the condition is true. You cannot perform Insert or Update in a static cache.
93. Can you list the tasks where source qualifier transformation is used?
Source qualifier in Informatica is an active transformation that allows reading the rows that are involved in an integration service. The source qualifier fetches the data from the source and adds it automatically to the source mapping.
Here is the list of different tasks where the source qualifier is used.
- Data sorting
- Custom query creation
- Rows filtering
- Selecting the distinct values
- To Join the tables of the same sources.
94. Explain Data Transformation Manager(DTM) In Informatica?
Data Transformation Manager in Informatica allows us to perform the following data transformations.
- Active Transformation: It allows us to change the number of rows in the output.
- Passive Transformation: This transformation does not change the number of rows in the output.
- Connected: This transformation allows us to connect to different other transformations.
- Unconnected: This transformation does not allow us to connect to other transformations.
95. Explain the Power center on the grid?
Grid computing is a feature of Informatica that can be utilized for vast data scalability w..r.t the performance. The grid feature in Informatica is mainly used for parallel processing and load balancing.
96. Explain Load balancing in Informatica?
The load balancer in Informatica is used to dispatch tasks to integration services that are running on nodes. Whenever you run a workflow in Informatica, the load balancer sends the sessions, commands, and pre-defined event tasks within the workflow.
97. Explain the different types of session partition algorithms available?
The different types of session partition algorithms available are:
- Database Partitioning: Here, the database system is queried by the integration service for table partition information. It is used to reads the partitioned data from the specific corresponding nodes in the database.
- Round-Robin Partitioning: The Integration service makes use of this algorithm to distribute data evenly among the partitions. You make use of this algorithm when you want your rows to be distributed evenly, and you don’t want to group data among the partitions.
- Hash-Auto keys partitioning: It is used to group rows of data within the partitions. Hash-auto keys are mainly used at or before a sorter, unsorted, or rank aggregator transformations to make sure that the grouping of the rows.
- Key -range partitioning: Informatica uses this type of partitioning to specify one or more ports that form a compound partitioning key for a source or a target table.
- Pass through partitioning: Here, the Integration services make sure to pass all rows at one partition point to the next point without re-distributing it.
- Hash user key partitioning: To group rows of data among partitions that are based on a user-defined partition key, the integration service uses a hash function. Here it allows you to choose the determined ports that define the partition key.
98. Name the types of repositories that can be created using Informatica Repository Manager?
The types of repositories created by the repository manager are:
- Local Repository: A local repository is a repository within a domain. Local repositories can use shared objects by connecting to the global repositories using global shortcuts.
- Global Repository: It is defined as a centralized repository in a domain that contains shared objects. These objects can be shared through global shortcuts.
- Standalone Repository: As the name suggests, It is an individual repository that works independently and doesn’t depend on other repositories.
- Versioned Repository: This repository can either be a local repository or a global repository, allowing the version control of the repositories. It can store various or multiple copies or versions of the object.
99. Name the databases that a power server on UNIX can connect to?
The following are the databases that a power server on UNIX can connect to:
- IBM DB2
100. Differentiate between the summary filter and details filter in Informatica?
The differences between the summary filter and the details filter are listed below.
|Summary filter||Details filter|
|It cannot be applied to each and every record present in the database.||It can be applied to each and every record present in the database.|
|It is used to filter summary data items or||It is used to filter a report based on detailed records only.|
|Example: report||Example: Product, order number, etc|
Best of luck with your Informatica interview, and I hope our Informatica interview questions and answers were of some help to you. You can also check our MS ACCESS DATABASE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS and PL SQL PROCEDURE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS which might be of some help to you.