Have you ever gotten frustrated when you see the HP printer driver is unavailable when you are in a hurry to take printouts? Don’t worry; you are at the right place. We have listed the solutions to solve the HP printer driver unavailable issue.
HP printers are one of the amazing high-quality printers. But the common problems with these printers are sometimes; that your operating system might fail to identify your printer. Printers work well with the help of printer drivers, so if there is any problem with the driver, you can’t use printers efficiently.
Facets that can Cause the HP Printer Driver Unavailable Issue
1. Using the old system driver – The drivers in your system will become old after some time. They have to be updated regularly so that driver-related issues can be avoided.
2. Ignoring the latest updates – We usually ignore the latest updates, which will result in pending updates. Installing the latest updates is important to avoid driver-related issues.
3. Corrupted files – This is a common issue people face when trying to use their HP printer driver. To avoid these issues, they have to uninstall everything and reinstall it again.
- Reinstall Your Printer Driver
- Check for the Latest Windows 10 Update
- Uninstall the Printer
- Add Your Printer Manually
- Use Compatibility Mode for Installing the HP Printer Driver
- Run the SFC Scan
- Use Bit Driver for Updating the Driver
1. Reinstall Your Printer Driver
If the printer driver is unavailable, then it could have been corrupted. To solve the problem, first, uninstall the existing printer driver. Then, reinstall the printer driver. You can get the latest version on the HP support website for free. Following are the steps to reinstall the HP printer driver.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows and R keys together.
- Once it opens, type
devmgmt.mscand press enter.
- The device manager window will be opened.
- Select ‘Print Queue’ from the list of options. It is used to monitor the HP printer model.
- Find the HP printer model of your device and right-click to uninstall.
- Now, you have to download the latest version of the HP printer driver. Once you have downloaded it, proceed to install it.
- If you find any difficulties installing it, click on the start button and search for updates in the search icon.
- It will open a new window, giving the options regarding the update for windows or device drivers.
- From the list of options, click on check for updates.
- It will display an update for your HP printer driver. Windows will start the update process, and you can see the on-screen instructions running on the screen.
- Once you have completed the above steps, reboot your computer. Then try to print some sample papers.
Note: This kind of issue can arise in any HP model. For example, the HP envy 4520 printer driver is unavailable. Follow the steps mentioned above for this kind of error. If the issue persists, then try the next methods.
2. Check for the Latest Windows 10 Update
We usually skip this step. But this creates bugs in the printer driver, which will make your Operating System incompatible. Eventually, when you try to print something, it will say that the printer driver is unavailable on your Windows 10 Operating System. Follow the steps to update your Windows 10 Operating System manually.
- On your keyboard, press the windows button.
- It will display the start screen.
- In the search icon, type update and press enter.
- A new window will pop up, which will display the list of pending updates that you have usually skipped.
- Click on check for updates. It will take you to the settings window.
- Click on the update button. It will install the latest update.
- Once you have completed the above steps, restart your system. Then, try to print a sample document.
3. Uninstall the Printer
Sometimes, uninstalling your printer will help fix the HP printer driver unavailable error. Follow the steps provided below to implement them.
- Click on the search icon and search for the control panel.
- Once the control panel window opens, you have to view it with large icons.
- Click on devices and printers.
- In the next window, right-click on the problematic HP printer and click on remove device.
- Simultaneously press the Windows logo and r keys to launch the run box.
- Once it opens, type
appwiz.cpl. Press enter.
- The program and feature window will be opened. Uninstall the printer application.
- Now, you need to launch the device manager.
- Once you have launched it, expand the print queues section.
- Now, right-click on your printer and click on uninstall the device.
- It will complete the uninstallation process.
- Once you have uninstalled it, you have to reboot your PC.
- Try connecting the printers and installing the drivers related to your printer from HP’s official website.
4. Add Your Printer Manually
- First, connect your printer to a computer device using a USB cable. Then, turn on your device.
- Type control panel on the search bar. Click on devices and printers.
- Click on Add a printer which will add the printer manually.
- Once your printer is detected, click on your printer and tap the next button. It will take some time for the installation process to complete.
- If your printer was not detected, then click on the printer I want is not listed.
- Now click on Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.
- Click on the Next button.
- Select the USB port of your printer. Click on the Next button.
- Click on windows update and your printer from the list.
- Then follow the procedure for the installation of your printer driver.
5. Use Compatibility Mode for Installing the HP Printer Driver
To avoid compatibility issues after the driver installation, you need to install the driver in compatibility mode. Follow the steps provided below for installing the HP printer driver in compatibility mode.
- You need to visit the official HP website.
- Hover on the support tab and click on the software & drivers option.
- You have to identify the product to proceed. Click on the printer option.
- Type your printer name. Click on submit.
- The driver file will be displayed. Click on that file. It will start to download.
- Once the download is complete, double-click on the file. Click on properties.
- In the compatibility tab, select run this program in compatibility mode.
- Choose Windows 8 from the list of options.
- Check the option Run the program as administrator.
- Click on Apply and click on Ok to make the changes.
- To begin the installation, double-click on the driver file.
- Click on yes.
- Once you have done the above steps, reboot your system.
6. Run the SFC Scan
This method is a little bit technical but is very helpful in resolving the HP printer driver unavailable issue. Follow the steps below to implement it.
- Click on the search icon and type cmd.
- You have to run cmd in administrator mode. Click on the run as administrator.
- Once the cmd window opens, type Sfc/Scannow and press enter.
Windows will try to find the problem. It will take some time to fix the issue. Till then, you have to wait patiently.
7. Use Bit Driver for Updating the Driver
Many people don’t know this. Drivers are the major culprits for all the PC error that occurs. To avoid this issue, you should always keep the drivers updated. But manual driver update is a long method that will make you bored in the middle of the process.
You can update it automatically using the bit driver updater to solve this. This will fix your computer problems and takes your PC to a new level. Following are the steps for using the bit driver for updating the driver.
- You have to download the bit driver updater.
- Once you have downloaded it, install it and evoke the utility.
- Click on scan. It will begin the scanning process.
- After scanning, the scan results will be displayed on your screen. You can review them.
- Click on update now. It will update the printer driver.
- For updating all the drivers in a single click, click on update all.
The above steps can be used for fixing all the PC-related issues, not only for the HP printer driver unavailable issue. Also, this process will make your PC super fast, and the battery performance will be smooth.
It is an error usually occurs when the printer goes missing, the system cannot find the printer, or the printer gets corrupted.
Users can fix this issue by reinstalling their printer driver, installing the latest Windows 10 updates, adding the printer manually, and using the bit driver to update the driver.
Why is it important to update the drivers?
This will keep your system in good condition. It will save the potentially expensive problems in the future. If you neglect to update the drivers, it will result in serious computer problems.
Some of the common reasons for this issue are not updating their drivers and using the old drivers, corrupted files in the system, and avoiding the latest Windows 10 updates.