Muting people on Instagram is an easy way to stop seeing posts and stories in your feed from people you are not interested in. You can also mute their messages and comments (restrict option). But If you muted someone by mistake or if you want to know how to unmute someone on Instagram previously muted, read this guide.
Does Instagram Notify People When You Mute or Unmute Them?
Muting and unmuting is private. It’s treated as a settings option of your account and the information isn’t shared with anyone. If you mute or unmute someone, they don’t receive any notification whatsoever. This allows you to mute or unmute people any time and as many times as you want.
Stem-by-Step Methods on how to Unmute Someone on Instagram Using the Mobile App
You can unmute people on IG using your Android or iOS device. We had an unmute button where we could tap unmute to unmute people. That button is now gone. Currently, there is a toggle on and off button for mute. Use these methods to unmute people on Instagram:
- Unmute People by Searching their Profile/Username
- Go to their Muted Instagram Story to Unmute Stories and Posts
- Use Instagram Settings to Unmute Accounts on iPhone and Android Devices
- Unmute Option for Messages on Instagram
- Unmuting Comments on Instagram Using the Smartphone App
Method 1: Unmute People by Searching their Profile/Username
You can unmute someone by directly searching their profile or username on Instagram. This method might sound inconvenient because remembering the full name, the username of people is difficult.
And you can’t search people by their email on Instagram. But Instagram remembers who you follow and shows them in your search, so even if you type the name a bit incorrectly, it may show you the muted user. Follow these steps after logging in to Instagram using your email and password:
- Tap the search icon on your IG at the bottom.
- Now tap the search bar at the top.
- Type the name of the account and select it.
- Tap the ‘Following’ button to open a small list.
- Select ‘Mute’.
- Switch off the toggle on ‘Posts’ and Stories’ to unmute stories and posts. If you want to allow only posts or stories, toggle off only that one.
For people who can’t recall the name of the muted IG account, try the other methods on the list.
Method 2: Go to their Muted Instagram Story to Unmute Stories and Posts
Instagram doesn’t show you posts of the people you mute in your feed. However, if you have muted their posts and stories, you can still see their story at the end of all other stories.
This keeps their story away but accessible in case you decide to see it. Moreover, Instagram lets you unmute people from their stories to stop seeing their content (posts and stories).
This is a much easier method than searching their names. But it’s only applicable if that person has posted a story. Follow these steps:
- From Home on Instagram, slide the stories to the left to reach the end.
- Long-press the story to see options.
- Tap on ‘View Profile’.
- Select ‘Following’ to find another menu.
- Choose ‘Mute’.
- You’ll see ‘Posts’ and ‘Stories’ with the toggle switch on. Turn it off for any one of them or both.
Method 3: Use Instagram Settings to Unmute Accounts on iPhone and Android Devices
There are countless people who don’t post stories on Instagram every day. In case the account you want to unmute hasn’t posted a story today and you also can’t remember their name, you can still find and unmute them from your Instagram Settings. You have the Muted Accounts Instagram option where you can see all the muted accounts. Follow these steps for Android, iPhone, and iPad.
- On the Instagram app, tap your profile picture at the bottom-right corner.
- Select the three horizontal lines at the top-right.
- Choose ‘Settings’.
- From settings, select ‘Privacy’.
- Scroll down and find ‘Connections’. You will see ‘Muted accounts’ under it.
- You will be taken to a list of Instagram accounts you muted. Choose the account you want to unmute.
- You will now see their profile. Tap ‘Following’.
- Select ‘Mute’.
- Switch off the toggle for ‘Posts’ and ‘Stories’.
Method 4: Unmute Option for Messages on Instagram
Muting messages is useful when you don’t want to hear from certain people. You will receive their messages but you won’t be notified. Now, to unmute messages on the Instagram app, duplicate these steps:
- On your Instagram home screen, tap the messages icon (that looks like the Messenger logo) at the top right corner.
- Select the person from the list to go to their conversation.
- Tap their profile in the conversation to see message settings.
- Switch off ‘Mute messages’.
Method 5: Unmuting Comments on Instagram Using the Smartphone App
You can’t directly mute or unmute the comments of people on your posts. However, if you restricted someone on Instagram, you can allow their comments individually or unrestrict them.
- Tap your profile picture at the bottom right.
- Select the three horizontal lines.
- Go to ‘Settings’.
- Choose ‘Privacy’.
- Scroll down and tap on ‘Restricted accounts’.
- Select the account.
- Tap on ‘Unrestrict’.
How to Unmute People on Instagram Using Your PC?
Instagram’s PC and web versions don’t have the mute and unmute feature at the time of this writing. So, you can’t mute or unmute people on Instagram using your Windows or Mac computer. You can only use this option for messages on Instagram using your computer. Here’s how to unmute a chat on Instagram.
- Tap the Messages icon on your Instagram’s main page.
- Select the conversation.
- Click the information icon that has an i inside a circle.
- Uncheck ‘Mute Messages’.
How to Mute People on Instagram Using the Mobile App?
If you don’t want someone’s posts and stories in your Instagram feed, you can mute them. It’s useful because Instagram doesn’t notify account holders that you muted them. Here’s how to mute accounts on Instagram using your iPhone or Android device.
- Account Muting on Instagram
- How to Mute Someone’s Story on Instagram?
- Mute Someone’s Posts
- How to mute Messages on Instagram?
- Mute Someone’s Comments on Instagram
Method 1: Account Muting on Instagram
Muting an account on Instagram means that you have muted their posts and stories.
Mute Them from Their Story
If they posted a story today, you can easily mute them by selecting the story. Perform these steps:
- On your Instagram feed, long-press their story.
- Select ‘View Profile’.
- Tap ‘Following’ when on their profile.
- Select ‘Mute’.
- You’ll see ‘Posts’ and ‘Stories’ with the toggle switch next to them. Toggle them on for both.
Muting People from Their Profile
- Tap the search icon (magnifier glass) on Instagram located at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the search bar at the top.
- Type the account name you want to mute and select it.
- Tap ‘Following’ on your profile.
- Choose ‘Mute’.
- Toggle on the switch for ‘Posts’ and ‘Stories’.
Method 2: How to Mute Someone’s Story on Instagram?
Muting stories of people on Instagram is much quicker as you only need to do 3 taps:
- On your IG feed, long-press the story you want to mute.
- Select ‘Mute’.
- Choose ‘Mute Story’.
Method 3: Mute Someone’s Posts
If you want to keep seeing their stories but want to put a stop to the posts, only mute their posts. Find the steps here:
- Tap the search icon on your Instagram app.
- Type the account name and tap on it.
- Tap ‘Following’ and then go to ‘Mute’.
- Toggle on the switch next to ‘Posts’.
Method 4: How to mute Messages on Instagram?
When you mute messages of a person, they will be able to send you messages as usual, but you won’t get any notification. The messages will be added to the conversation silently and you can see them whenever you want by opening the chat.
- Tap the messages icon.
- Select the chat you want to mute.
- Tap on the name of the profile.
- Turn on the switch next to ‘Mute messages’.
Method 5: Mute Someone’s Comments on Instagram
Instagram doesn’t have a Mute Comments option. However, you can find an individual option for this labeled as ‘Restrict’. When you enable the restrict option for an account, their messages are moved to your Message Requests.
They can send you messages as they do but they will be treated as the messages of a person you’re not connected with. Even if you read their messages, they won’t be able to see that you’ve read them. Moreover, they won’t be notified that you’ve restricted their account.
Moreover, people you’ve restricted can comment on your posts, but they won’t be public. Only you and that person will see it. You can find their comment on your post and choose to allow it if you want. They are not notified that their comments are restricted.
Follow below to restrict a profile on Instagram.
- Tap the search icon at the bottom.
- Type the name of the person and select it to go to their profile. You can also view their profile by long-pressing their Story from your feed, and tapping the ‘View Profile’ option.
- On the profile you want to restrict, tap ‘Following’.
- Select ‘Restrict’.
- Tap ‘Restrict account’.
What is the Difference Between the Mute and Unfollow Features on Instagram?
With the mute option on Instagram, you can stop seeing the posts and stories of people that are not interesting to you. But wait! Can’t you do this by unfollowing the account? So, what’s the purpose of the mute option?
The main difference between Mute and Unfollow is that when you mute someone, they are not notified that you don’t want to see their posts and muted them. So, you can silently reduce the noise of their posts and stories from your feed without causing trouble.
The unfollow option, on the other hand, is tricky. People can see if you’re following them or not. When you unfollow them, they find out pretty soon by checking their Followers list or your Following list. This can lead to drama.
In short, mute is a private version of unfollow on Instagram. It does a lot the same as unfollow, but keeps this information hidden.
Unmuting people on Instagram is quick and easy. You can unmute them from the story or go to the muted accounts from settings and then unmute them.
How To Unmute Story On IG?
To unmute a story on Instagram, long-press the story you want to unmute, tap ‘Unmute Story’. Another method is to go to their profile > Following > Mute > toggle off ‘Stories’.
Where Did The Mute Button Go On Instagram?
The old Instagram version had a mute button visible when you visited anyone’s profile. This button is now in the ‘Following’ button. When you tap ‘Following’, a list appears on your screen. Choose ‘Mute’ from there.
How Do You Unmute Someone’s Post On Instagram?
For unmuting the post of an account, tap your profile picture > three horizontal lines > Privacy > Restricted accounts > select the account to unmute > Following > Mute > Toggle off the switch for ‘Posts’.
How Do You Unmute Someone On Instagram If They Haven’t Posted?
If you want to unmute someone who hasn’t posted a story on Instagram, you need to unmute them from settings.
– Tap your profile picture,
– Tap on the three horizontal lines,
– Select ‘Privacy’,
– Choose ‘Muted accounts’.
– Select the profile.
– Tap on ‘Following’.
– Select ‘Mute’.
– Turn off the switch for ‘Stories’ and ‘Posts’.