The LoadRunner Agent can be run both as a process and a service:
1. When running LoadRunner Agent as a process, it runs the ‘magentproc.exe’ from the <LoadRunner>\launch_service\bin folder. User needs to login to the machine in order to start this Agent.
2. When running LoadRunner Agent as a service, the service ‘magentservice’ runs automatically even if the user does not log in to the system. User can login to the machine and go to Administrative Tools -> Services -> ‘LoadRunner Agent’ to verify or change the authentication information.
After installing LoadRunner, user can switch the agent to be service / process anytime they want.
Agent options during Installation:
While installing LoadRunner, the following two options are provided for User Login settings:
1. When installed with option “Manual log into the Load Generator machine”, LoadRunner agent is installed as process.
2. When we install with option “Allow Virtual Users to run on this machine without user login”, the LoadRunner agent is installed as service”
Switching after installation:
After installing LoadRunner, you can switch the agent to be service / process anytime you want. You do not need to uninstall LoadRunner to switch the LoadRunner Agent install. Here are the steps:
1. For the first time, login to the host machine.
2. Launch the command prompt.
3. Go to <LoadRunner>\launch_service\bin
To install LoadRunner agent as a service
1. Remove the LoadRunner Agent Process shortcut from the Start -> Program Files -> Startup group.
2. Type in
Note: If you want to set a different account, then type in :
magentservice.exe -install <user_domain>\<user_name> <password>
3. If the install is successful, you will receive the following messages:
LoadRunner Agent Service installed
LoadRunner Agent Service started.
LoadRunner Agent service will be started automatically as well.
4. Go to the Window’s Services and change its properties to start it as “Automatic.”
5. If you wish to modify the login details after installation of agent service, do the following
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and look for the LoadRunner Agent Service.
Right-click and select Properties->Log On and change the information from there
To install LoadRunner agent as a process
1. Uninstall LoadRunner agent service by typing in
2. If the uninstall is sucessful, you will receive the following messages:
Stopping LoadRunner Agent Service.
LoadRunner Agent Service stopped.
LoadRunner Agent Service removed.
3. Start the agent process by running magentproc.exe from <LoadRunner>\launch_service\bin
4. Add the LoadRunner Agent Process shortcut back into the Startup group.
Note: It is recommended to reboot the machine after the installation