TikTok is one of the most popular content streaming services that are used by people all over the world. People enjoy making short videos that are fifteen seconds long with their favorite music or watching those made by other people.
Every time a new user creates a profile on TikTok, their phone number is required to register with the application. However, if you do not feel like letting the application have your contact information stored on their database you can always remove it from your profile.
If you do not know how to take your number out of your TikTok profile. we’re here with the methods to use when you are wondering how to remove phone number from TikTok.
Why Do I Need to Link Phone Number With TikTok?
A phone number is requested by the Tiktok application to register your profile with the servers. This is, however, an option for you as there are platforms like Google and Facebook to create your TikTok profiles with. Choose only a phone number if you are not willing to let the above-mentioned social platforms save your information and cache.
However, if you are someone who likes to share online media content with people on your social sites, you can connect them with social media for your TikTok account. Using the phone number as a choice here will send you a One-Time Password (OTP) that will be used to log in to your profile or register it with the number.
Why Does Tiktok Ask For My Phone Number?
The Tiktok app requires your phone number to authenticate you, as it sends a one-time code from the app to your phone number. Once you are authenticated and logged into the app, you will not need to enter your phone number again. By doing so, the number of bogus accounts is cut in half, and those with valid IDs can use the TikTok application. This is better for you, your content, and your followers.
What Should I Do When TikTok Tells Me That My Phone Number is used?
When TikTok tells you that the phone number you are trying to create an account with is already being used, it means that your phone number has an existing TikTok account registered in it. There are two things that you can do here –
- If you have an account with it, you can try logging in through that account. There is no necessity for account credentials recovery since you can log in easily with an OTP.
- If you think your phone number has a registered TikTok account, try contacting the TikTok support team. This also means that you cannot have a TikTok account with your phone number until the necessary action has been taken.
Can Others See My Phone Number Through Tiktok?
Users are able to post a public profile, with their phone number, which is visible to other users. But as of November 2018, Tiktok has changed the format of how it displays phone numbers on profiles and in videos. Before these changes were implemented, users’ information would be visible in their profiles.
Is It Safe to Register a Tiktok Profile Your Phone Number?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to create a TikTok account with your phone number. TikTok is a trustworthy platform that has over 1 billion downloads. This should give you enough credibility to use your personal information as login credentials in TikTok.
However, if you are skeptical about providing an application with your phone number, there are social media options for you to log in. There are also options for scrolling through a feed without making an account. The downside to this is that you will not be able to get an identifiable account to publish videos or comment on someone’s video from a registered profile.
Removing your Phone Number From TikTok
If you’re trying to establish a new TikTok account using a phone number or email that’s already tied to a different TikTok profile. In that situation, you might not be able to establish a TikTok account using the same information you’ve already used.
If you wish to unlink your mobile number from your TikTok account temporarily for privacy issues, you can use these steps to remove the phone number –
- Launch the TikTok application on your mobile phone.
- Log into your existing TikTok account.
- At the bottom of the page, tap the Profile option. This is an icon of a person stencil at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Now, touch the hamburger menu at the upper-right corner of the Profile page. This is the three-line menu, that generally opens up to more options on your application.
- On the next page, select the Manage account option under the ACCOUNT settings section.
- In the ACCOUNT INFORMATION section, touch the Phone number option. You will be shown a dialog box with your partially hidden number and two other options.
- Choose the Change phone option among the earlier-mentioned option.
- The Verify your identity pop-up opens and you will have only one option to choose from – Use phone number.
- You’ll be sent a six-digit OTP, which has to be entered in the numeral slots on your page. There will be no prompt option for you to proceed since the OTP will be automatically detected once you enter it correctly.
- If the six numbers are correct, you will see a new text space asking you to enter a new number. Here, type in the replacement number and use the verification code this number receives to remove the old number and replace it with another one.
You will not lose the contents of your profile because of this process since we are only replacing the existing profile information with an alternative. You will also not be able to use the previously saved number for logging into your TikTok profile again; the new number has been used once it has been changed.
Permanently Removing your Phone Number from TikTok
If you no longer want your phone number to be saved on your TikTok profile, there is an option for you to remove it permanently –
- Launch the TikTok application.
- Go to the Profile page and proceed to the hamburger menu.
- Now, scroll down to the SUPPORT section and touch the Report a Problem option.
- Look for the Account and Profile option and tap on it.
- From here, choose the Phone Number option.
- Select “I want to remove phone number”.
- Continue by choosing Still have a problem from the list and you will be asked to elaborately explain why you have a problem with removing your phone number.
- The best reason that can get your number off TikTok is to state that you haven’t got access to the number you’ve used to create a TikTok account.
Once the TikTok support checks this, you will be contacted by them for confirmation of removal and verification. The verification generally consists of questions like the profile’s username, date of creation, latest login activity, registered devices,
If you’ve confirmed this, your number will be removed from your account within 48 hours. You’ll get a notification through SMS or email about the removal of your number from the TikTok profile.
The above solutions are the same for iOS and Android devices with TikTok installed in them, considering very similar interfaces are for both these operating systems.
Though TikTok has a website that allows users to watch and upload video content for up to 5 minutes of duration, it does not allow changes to be made regarding the profile settings for an account. This makes it impossible to not only remove the phone number on your profile but also make any changes in your profile settings on TikTok.
Therefore, if you are looking to make some information editing in your TikTok profile through a computer, you can’t. You can only watch content on the website.
These are the steps to remove a phone number from a TikTok account permanently or by offering the application an alternative number. If you still cannot remove your phone number from your TikTok account, contact TikTok support for additional help.