Are you looking for a simple and efficient way to remove members from your Sharepoint site? Follow our step-by-step guide below to learn how to remove members from both the Microsoft 365 Group and the Sharepoint Site.
To remove members from a SharePoint site, there are several steps and locations where users must be removed. The first location is the Microsoft 365 Group associated with the site. Only Microsoft 365 Group Owners/Team Owners have the permission to remove users from the group. On a SharePoint Team Site, the member can be removed by clicking on “Members” and selecting “Remove from group” for the desired member.
The second location to remove users is the SharePoint Site itself. SharePoint Site Owners or Microsoft 365 Group Owners can remove users from the site by accessing Site permissions, expanding the groups, selecting the user, and clicking “Remove”.
For document libraries, users can be removed by accessing the Library settings, clicking “More library settings,” selecting “Permissions for this document library,” choosing the user or group to be removed, and clicking “Remove User permissions”.
To remove users from files and folders, the process varies depending on whether the user has access via direct access or sharing link. For direct access, the user can be removed by right-clicking on the file or folder, choosing “Manage access,” selecting the user or group, and clicking “Stop sharing”. For users with access via a sharing link, right-click on the file or folder, choose “Manage access,” click the three dots next to the shared link, click the “X” next to the link to delete it, and confirm the deletion.
It’s important to note that users must have appropriate permissions as site owners or site collection administrators to add or delete users. Adding users is typically done by creating a group with the desired permissions and adding users to that group. Deleting users is done by accessing People and groups in the site settings, selecting the group from which to remove the users, selecting the users, clicking “Actions,” and choosing “Remove Users from Group”.
Overall, removing members from a SharePoint site requires actions in the Microsoft 365 Group, SharePoint Site, document libraries, and files/folders, with different permission levels required for each location.
Removing Members from the Microsoft 365 Group
To remove members from your SharePoint site, you’ll first need to access the Microsoft 365 Group associated with the site. Only the Microsoft 365 Group Owners or Team Owners have the authority to remove users from the group.
To start with, follow these steps:
- Open your SharePoint site and navigate to the top right corner where the profile picture or initials are displayed. Click on it to open the Office 365 app launcher.
- From the app launcher, select “SharePoint” to open the SharePoint homepage.
- On the left side of the page, you’ll find a navigation pane. Click on “More” and then select “Admin centers” and finally choose “SharePoint” to access the SharePoint admin center.
- In the SharePoint admin center, click on “Active sites” in the left-hand menu and search for the site that you want to remove members from.
- Once you find the site, click on it to open the details page.
- On the details page, you’ll see the “Members” tab. Click on it to view a list of all the members in the Microsoft 365 Group associated with the site.
- Find the member you want to remove and click on the three dots next to their name.
- From the dropdown menu, select “Remove from group” to successfully remove the member from the Microsoft 365 Group.
Remember, removing a member from the Microsoft 365 Group will also remove their access to the SharePoint site.
Important: Make sure you have the necessary permissions as a Microsoft 365 Group Owner or Team Owner to perform these actions.
|Open SharePoint site
|Access Office 365 app launcher
|Go to SharePoint admin center
|Search for the desired site
|Open site details page
|Click on “Members” tab
|Locate the member to remove
|Select “Remove from group”
In summary, removing members from a SharePoint site involves accessing the Microsoft 365 Group associated with the site. Only the Microsoft 365 Group Owners or Team Owners have the authority to remove users from the group. By following the steps outlined above, you can successfully remove unwanted members and manage the user access to your SharePoint site.
Once you have removed members from the Microsoft 365 Group, you can proceed to remove them from the SharePoint Site itself. SharePoint Site Owners or Microsoft 365 Group Owners have the authority to remove users from the site by accessing the Site permissions and selecting the users to be removed.
To remove users from the SharePoint Site, follow these steps:
1. Access the Site permissions.
2. Expand the groups to view the list of users.
3. Select the user you want to remove.
4. Click on the “Remove” button or option.
By following these steps, you can effectively remove members from the SharePoint Site and ensure that only authorized users have access to the site.