Facetime is the iconic Apple feature that was unique to iOS and other Apple interfaces. This is no longer just for those with an iPhone or iPad. If you are an Android user who has been wanting to facetime your friend for a very long time, I have got you covered.
This article has the answer to the question “How to Facetime with Android and iPhone? You will find everything you possibly will want to know if you are attempting to make a FaceTime call with your iPhone to an Android smartphone or the other way around.
Is it possible to FaceTime someone on Android?
For those who are not up-to-date with news on Apple’s recent feature updates, FaceTime is now available to make video calls with people who use the Android and Windows Operating Systems (OS). This does not mean that you will find a standalone FaceTime application.
You will not be able to access an app that is available for download in the Play Store or any other app distribution platform. You will have to get an invitation link from someone who has an iOS device. This link will redirect you to a page in the default browser, where you will be able to join the video call on a webpage.
So, answering the question, yes, Android users can join a FaceTime call. However, those who do so will not receive all the features that an Apple device user can access over a FaceTime call. The Android user can
- mute and unmute their microphone and camera relay
- change the participant layout
- switch cameras between front and back cameras
- set the video call to fullscreen
Apple-exclusive features like SharePlay are not made available to users with different interfaces.
Requirements to Facetime with Android and iPhone
You don’t need much to make a FaceTime call between an iPhone and Android device. You just need –
- An Android smartphone or tablet. A Windows computer with a web-camera provision will also suffice.
- A decent internet connection with sufficient bandwidth of over 1.2 Mbps downloads and upload speed.
- Updated versions of the default browser that you use on your Android smartphone or Windows computer.
- The invitation link to the FaceTime meeting
Joining a Facetime call on the Web Browser
As mentioned earlier, you will need the invite link to join the web meeting on your Android device or Windows PC. There are several platforms where you can receive the links. The link can be shared through a messaging app
Once you receive the link, follow these steps to join the FaceTime meeting –
- Tap the link for the FaceTime meeting. This will redirect you to the Chrome or Edge browser with the FaceTime page.
- You will be asked to type in a name and choose the Continue option. If you haven’t already, the system will ask you to access the microphone and camera FaceTime interface access.
- Now, touch the Continue button. You will join the meeting when the host permits you inside.
Once you are inside, you should be able to use the standard video call/conference layout to interact. You can change the layout of the video frames, turn the microphone and video on or off and leave when you want to.
Receiving FaceTime calls on your Android device
When you receive an invitation link to join a FaceTime call, you will receive a notification on your device containing the link. This is the link that will connect you to the FaceTime meeting.
Since the link can be shared through any communication platform, the application that sends the notification can vary, depending on what the sender chooses.
Inviting Android Users to FaceTime calls
Before we start with this procedure, you will need the latest iOS version installed on your iPhone. The iOS 15 is greatly appreciated, and so is the same if you are using this feature on an iPad, in which case you will need the iPadOS 15.
The following procedure can be used to invite all your friends with an Android device to join a FaceTime call –
- Launch the FaceTime application on your iPhone or iPad.
- Choose the Create Link option. This will bring a pop-up to your screen with options to share the link through several communication apps.
- You will have to choose the app you wish to use for sharing the link. This has to be an application that the friend uses.
- Alternatively, you can also copy the link and paste it into a message that you can send the friend.
- Now, touch the FaceTime call on this list and choose the Join option. You will be added to the call immediately.
Since you are the host for this call, you will have to let the participants who are trying to join using the link into the FaceTime call. For this, you will have to use the green tick icon. There is also the option to share links on this page.
Is there a Facetime version for Android?
There is no standalone application for FaceTiming on Android devices, apart from the video call interfaces that are accessible through invite links. We do not know if there will be an Android application that is more convenient to use and join FaceTime calls. However, some other platforms and applications can be used to join or host video call meetings on an Android device.
Options to make video calls on Android
If you are an Android user, there are several other options for making a video call with other people. For those who are looking for options, you can use these popular platforms for the same.
These are methods to join a FaceTime video call with your friends or family when there are Android devices involved. If you have more queries or issues regarding this, you can talk with the Apple Customer Care experts. Happy FaceTiming!
What Is FaceTime Link?
A FaceTime link is the invitation link that is used to join a FaceTime call on any smart device. This is a shareable link that can be sent to any device that has the provision to join a video call. This feature used to be available only for Apple and other iOS devices. Now, Android and Windows devices can use this link to launch an interface for attending the meeting.
Can An Android Video Chat With An IPhone?
Yes, an Android phone can make a video call or join an already created one with an iPhone, if it has the necessary specifications to do so. There are options like Google Meet, Zoom, and more recently, FaceTime also.
How To Facetime Between Iphone And Android?
To make a FaceTime call between an iPhone and an Android device, you will need an invitation link from the iOS FaceTime application. This link can be found in an active FaceTime call and has to be shared with the Android user to join the meeting. Alternatively, there are also other video chat apps like Google Meet, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype, and more.
How To Facetime With Android And iPhone?
To make a FaceTime call between your Android smartphone and iOS device, you will have to use the link that is shareable from the FaceTime app. This option can be shared through any communication platform by iPhone users. Once the Android user touches this link, they will be able to join the video call, instantly after the host accepts it.