Twitch is the biggest online content live-streaming platform that concentrates mainly on video games live-streaming, esports tournaments broadcasting, music, interactive streams, and other types of streamable content.
There are well over 3 Million recorded viewers so far along in 2021. It takes skill, showmanship, or a great username to give you reach over a huge audience. If you already possess the first two qualities and need a username change or if you wish to change your Twitch username for other reasons, this article will help you. Happy Streaming!
Things you need to understand before you change your Twitch username
Before we get into changing your username, instead of creating a new account, on Twitch, there are some Twitch rules and extra details that you might need to know.
- You can change your Twitch username only after 60 days of changing it once.
- Twitch archives your old usernames for six months. Other users can use your old username after this period of time.
- Even if you change your username, if you are banned by a streamer, you will remain banned.
- Your channel URL will not be updated automatically after you change to a new username.
- You can instantly change your username.
Changing your Twitch Username through the Profile Settings on different platforms
There are many different ways to change your Twitch username. Users can change their old username to a new one on the Twitch website and Desktop application. You will need your Twitch account’s login credentials (Verified email address and password) and the OTP that is sent to your email inbox.
Changing your Twitch Username on Twitch on the Twitch website
Twitch was initially launched as a website long before Amazon procured it. This is the easiest way to watch streams online if you have access to a web browser and a decent internet connection. The Twitch site on your browser gives you more access to the account settings than the applications for mobiles.
Here’s how you can change your Twitch username through the website on browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and more.
- Launch your web browser and enter the Twitch URL in the address bar.
- This will take you to the Twitch website, where you must click on your profile icon on the top-right corner of the desktop site window.
- In the drop-down menu, select the Settings option.
- You should be taken to the Profile tab in the settings. Scroll down to the Profile Settings section and click on the pencil icon on the right side of the Username field.
- Enter your desired username and then, click on the Update button. Make sure you choose from available usernames.
Your username will be changed and you will be given a fresh Twitch URL for your channel. You will have to update it personally in other places that you can find the link to your channel.
Change Twitch name through the Twitch Desktop app
For this procedure, you will need the Twitch application installed on your computer. This can be downloaded from the Twitch site. These steps are similar for Windows and
These are the steps to change your current username in the Twitch app:
- Open the Twitch app on your system.
- Click on the profile icon and go into the Profile tab.
- Scroll down to the Profile settings section and click on the Edit button on the right side of the username field.
- Change your username and click on the Update button at the bottom of the change username dialog box.
Your old Twitch URL will be changed automatically, You will now have to make changes everywhere your old username has been applied.
Giving your Twitch profile a new username on the Twitch mobile app
Since there are Twitch clients for android and iOS, there is an option for users with a mobile device like a phone or tablet to change their username. The older versions of the twitch iOS or android app did not allow users to change their username, so you need to download the latest app version from the Play Store, AppStore, or the twitch site on your mobile browser.
Once you have the most recent version of the Twitch app, follow these steps:
- Open the Twitch application, by touching the purple icon with a little chat box in it.
- Tap your display picture (profile icon), which is on the top-left corner of your mobile screen.
- In the Account window, go into the Account settings menu. Here you will find the personal data that you have entered during registration.
- Touch the Account option and select Edit Profile.
- Tap the Username option, which is not to be confused with the Display name option.
- Press the Change Username option and change the existing one to your desired username.
- Finally, select Save, from the upper-right corner, to set this as your Twitch username.
Change your Twitch name on a mobile browser
This is an unusual way to change your name on Twitch. If you did not know this, the browser on your mobile phone can be used to give yourself a new name on Twitch. We recommend using the Google Chrome mobile browser as it is available on almost all phones, by default.
Here’s how you can change your twitch name through a mobile browser.
- Open your browser and enter the Twitch URL in the address bar on top of the screen.
- Touch the settings icon (three-dots icon) on the upper right part of the screen, and select the Desktop site checkbox.
- On the homepage, touch the profile icon (display picture) and select Settings.
- In the Profile Settings section, click on the edit icon (pencil) and enter your new name.
- Once you are finished, click on the Update button to save your changes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why can’t I change my display name on twitch?
You may not be able to change your twitch name because the name you are looking to keep as your new one could have already been taken by some other user. Or you could have changed your name already within a period of 60 days.
How do I change my twitch name IOS?
You can change your twitch name on iOS through the Twitch app and the Safari browser. In the Twitch app, open Settings, select Account settings > Account > Edit profile. Then, click on the icon on the username field and select update once you have entered the name you want.
Can twitch partners change their name?
Yes, Twitch partners can change their name 60 days after the name was set or changed recently. You cannot change your username when you are streaming or when you have pending VOD (Video on Demand) to be uploaded.
How do I edit my twitch profile?
You can edit your Twitch profile on any platform that the streaming application or website is available for. You have to click on your Display picture icon, which is present on the corners of your window, and then select the Account settings option or go into the profile tab. Here, you can modify the previously entered data.